Should have BAD been released as a triple disk album like Michael wanted?

analogue

Proud Member
Or do you think it was best that we got the album we did? I know that Quincy convinced Michael into releasing BAD as a single disk album, but why would he be against a triple disk album with a lot more music? Did he think that so much music would overwhelm the audience, and it may put them off?

LP would have included quite a few discs.. but i understand why Quincy decided it would work instead as a single disc album, you can't over saturate a product. Anyway, leaves more gems for the future ;)

I actually think using the original black veil cover for the album and putting out three discs of music would've been ****ing epic. It would've shown the world how much MJ had developed as a songwriter and would've been an extremely bold move.

But if Quincy hadn't vetoed the idea, I'm sure Sony would've. I love how Michael always dreamed big though.

I actually think using the original black veil cover for the album and putting out three discs of music would've been ****ing epic. It would've shown the world how much MJ had developed as a songwriter and would've been an extremely bold move.
Actually, the record cover we got was extremely bold at that time. I remember how startled I was by it when I saw it at the record store for the first time. I gasped aloud. (And quite embarrassed myself too).

I do wish it had been at least a double album tho.

Edited to add: now that I've heard the Bad 25 demos, I wish it had been a double album. I love every one of those songs.

Last edited:

But if Quincy hadn't vetoed the idea, I'm sure Sony would've. I love how Michael always dreamed big though.

Would have looked absolutely incredible on a thick vinyl, with the lace cover! i can imagine how it would look like.. might, create my own one day when we get the rest of the outtakes from the BAD era! no title on the front cover, the artistry is enough!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/jay8wonder/bad/bad-firstprint2002.jpg~original

Last edited:
So should we have got a virtually perfect album that is a classic to this day and sold 33 million, or should we have 10 perfect tracks lost amongst 30 tracks of mainly filler?

Sometimes less is more people.

I said this elsewhere back in 2012 when Bad25 was coming out.
I'm a big fan of the original cover. To me it says 'I'm not afraid to challenge the conventions of what it is to be Bad! I'm an artist pushing the boundaries and unafriad of judgment. I don't need to look a certain way to be strong and to be Bad! Bad is an attitude and I can pull it off because I'm a game changer and a trend setter! It is very artistic and says to me Michael Jackson isin't just surface, but deep and with meaning. It's daring and would have challenged his audience to look beneath the surface. I think it's a shame the record company opted for something very pc and unthreatening.
But I do also love what became the cover. It's become iconic in it's own right and I love the red Bad graphic against the brilliant-white!

I agree with Tony about it being perfect as a 10-track album though, & with Leave Me Alone as the vinyl & cd bonus track it was pop perfection!

That would've been cool as hell to see Bad as a triple-album, but I imagine it would've been really expensive too. Not just to buy but for Sony to print. Maybe that's why they convinced him to nix the idea?

It's still awesome as a single-disc album, though. ^.^

I think BAD works perfect as it is.

MJ wanted albums with only hits. Every song shoulf be a potential single release - no fillers.

3 albums = 30 songs - There would no doubt had been fillers. - Or great songs - HITS - would drown in even bigger hits. - That would be a shame.

Instead of releasing BAD as a 3 disc he could have released 1 album every year.

1987 - BAD
1988 - new album
1989 . new album
1990 - pause - make people want more
1991 - Dangerous

I think that idea would even put too much MJ on thre market on too short time - but back then I actaully think he was popular and big enough to pull it off without people getting too much.

3 years is like 156 weeks. - Release a new single every 5th week. :) - Would have been insane. :lol:

Michael Jackson prefered to be perfect rather than prolific.

Prince has proved what happens when you bury your great stuff amongst tonnes of filler, your great stuff gets diluted.

The Man very much knew what he was doing. An album of 9-14 perfect songs stands as a work of art.

Michaelangelo stopped at the Sistine chapel ceiling, he didn't proceed to cover the walls & floor as well.

3 disc probably would have been too much even though i have no doubt it would be 3 disc's of great songs

3 Discs? No. 2 Discs? Yes!

Price Of Fame
Al Capone
Streetwalker
Fly Away
Leave Me Alone
Abortion Papers
Cheater
Come Together (Full)
Someone Put Your Hands Down

These are all amazing and deserved to be released on an official Album, save come together

I bet there are alooot more outtakes from 83-87. Songs like Buffalo Bill, Alright Now, Chicago 1945, Tomboy, Tragedy Of A Cheerleader, Peter Pan, etc etc.

3 Discs? No. 2 Discs? Yes!

Price Of Fame
Al Capone
Streetwalker
Fly Away
Leave Me Alone
Abortion Papers
Cheater
Come Together (Full)
Someone Put Your Hands Down

These are all amazing and deserved to be released on an official Album, save come together

I bet there are alooot more outtakes from 83-87. Songs like Buffalo Bill, Alright Now, Chicago 1945, Tomboy, Tragedy Of A Cheerleader, Peter Pan, etc etc.

Take off Al Capone and replace it with I'm So Blue. You don't want two Smooth Criminal type tracks. I also suggest that it would started with Streetwalker, then go into Leave Me Alone, Abortion Papers, then I'm So Blue then so on and so forth.

Take off Al Capone and replace it with I'm So Blue. You don't want two Smooth Criminal type tracks. I also suggest that it would started with Streetwalker, then go into Leave Me Alone, Abortion Papers, then I'm So Blue then so on and so forth.

Sure why not. Hmm, I think i'm going to create a custom made BAD Double Disc edition :)

Sure why not. Hmm, I think i'm going to create a custom made BAD Double Disc edition :)

Alright! Let me help you.

1. Streetwalker
2. Leave Me Alone
3. Abortion Papers
4. I'm So Blue
5. Don't Be Messin' Around
6. Price of Fame
7. Come Together
8. Cheater
9. Fly Away
10. Someone Put Your Hand Out

Alright! Let me help you.

1. Streetwalker
2. Leave Me Alone
3. Abortion Papers
4. I'm So Blue
5. Don't Be Messin' Around
6. Price of Fame
7. Come Together
8. Cheater
9. Fly Away
10. Someone Put Your Hand Out

I would replace Don't Be Messin Round with DYKWYCA, other than that it's perfect.

As BAD is my favorite album of all time, i'm waiting for every releasable song from that time.. eventually i will create a physical limited edition CD.. if i still have the high res lace picture of course

I think some of you think as uber fans that he should have released everything he ever uttered.

This is so against his mindset & work ethic.

Record as much as you want, but only release the best.

That way you become a superstar.

Would you rather he was like Rhianna and released an album every 12 months? No. Just let people hear perfect albums.

By all means at a later date, released collections or special editions for the fans. Or even better, release the lesser stuff as B sides.

If he had have released Bad as 2 or 3 discs, he wouldn't have left the superstar legacy he did.

I think some of you think as uber fans that he should have released everything he ever uttered.

This is so against his mindset & work ethic.

Record as much as you want, but only release the best.

That way you become a superstar.

Would you rather he was like Rhianna and released an album every 12 months? No. Just let people hear perfect albums.

By all means at a later date, released collections or special editions for the fans. Or even better, release the lesser stuff as B sides.

If he had have released Bad as 2 or 3 discs, he wouldn't have left the superstar legacy he did.

I see the point you're making but if you take things from a strictly track-by-track perspective, I would argue that some of the outtakes from the Bad sessions are better than some of the tracks on the actual album.

Okay, there's nothing on a par with the very best of the album (SC, MITM, DD), nothing even comes close to that level of brilliance. But I would sooner listen to Cheater, Al Capone, Fly Away and Loving You over JGF or Speed Demon.

I see the point you're making but if you take things from a strictly track-by-track perspective, I would argue that some of the outtakes from the Bad sessions are better than some of the tracks on the actual album.

Okay, there's nothing on a par with the very best of the album (SC, MITM, DD), nothing even comes close to that level of brilliance. But I would sooner listen to Cheater, Al Capone, Fly Away and Loving You over JGF or Speed Demon.

Maybe - but that's not the thread :)

It's not would you substitute a couple of tracks on Bad for the ones on Bad25? It's asking should he have released everything in one go.

Maybe - but that's not the thread :)

It's not would you substitute a couple of tracks on Bad for the ones on Bad25? It's asking should he have released everything in one go.

Well, you're talking to a massive Prince fan here. One of my favourite albums of his was his 36 track 3 disc album Emancipation. Whilst I can get on board with the quality-not-quantity mentality, when you're writing and recording songs at the level of geniuses like Michael and Prince, then I say the more music the better. A triple album by a lesser artist (say, Janet for example) would be career suicide. But if anyone could pull it off, I believe Michael could.

Well, you're talking to a massive Prince fan here. One of my favourite albums of his was his 36 track 3 disc album Emancipation. Whilst I can get on board with the quality-not-quantity mentality, when you're writing and recording songs at the level of geniuses like Michael and Prince, then I say the more music the better. A triple album by a lesser artist (say, Janet for example) would be career suicide. But if anyone could pull it off, I believe Michael could.

I referenced Prince earlier and it's the perfect comparison.

So, two ways of looking at it:
Emacipation barely sold, but Prince core fans were happy
Bad sold 32 million and one of the biggest sellers of all time

So Bad triple disc would have likely met the same fate (I'm sure would have still sold well and would most probably be the biggest selling triple disc ever), but sold 30 million? No. And most likely we'd be posting today about which 12 tracks would you take for Bad to make the perfect album :)

Plus, how many times have we said Invincible or even Dangerous & HIStory are too long & had filler.

He released perfect albums, I can't believe so many would change that.

I referenced Prince earlier and it's the perfect comparison.

So, two ways of looking at it:
Emacipation barely sold, but Prince core fans were happy
Bad sold 32 million and one of the biggest sellers of all time

So Bad triple disc would have likely met the same fate (I'm sure would have still sold well and would most probably be the biggest selling triple disc ever), but sold 30 million? No. And most likely we'd be posting today about which 12 tracks would you take for Bad to make the perfect album :)

Plus, how many times have we said Invincible or even Dangerous & HIStory are too long & had filler.

He released perfect albums, I can't believe so many would change that.

I personally think there was enough quality material to warrant a double album which is a lot more marketable and easier to digest compared to a triple album.

It is all a moot point though, because regardless of Michael's original intentions, there is absolutely no way in a million years Sony would've allowed the biggest selling album of all time to be followed up by a triple disc release.

I personally think there was enough quality material to warrant a double album which is a lot more marketable and easier to digest compared to a triple album.

It is all a moot point though, because regardless of Michael's original intentions, there is absolutely no way in a million years Sony would've allowed the biggest selling album of all time to be followed up by a triple disc release.

And for good reason! That's why he's the biggest selling solo artist ever.

Back