Triumph tour was better than Victory (IMO)

I'd be more excited if the Estate released in a better quality that tour because:

*It was a collective effort to put together the show.
*Michael wasn't emotionally blackmailed do to that tour, unlike Victory. Therefore he was happier to be there. With Victory, he seemed angry at some moments, I bet the ticket sale fiasco had something to do with it.
*The music sounded better.
*The bothers' vocals were better too. (Jermaine wasn't there)
*There was more variety of songs performed.

Look how Michael outshines in singing and dancing to his brothers to the point of embarrassment despite the bad quality of image of these videos.

Feel free to ignore the brothers until Michael reappears at 4:30.

This concert is actually part of the second leg of the Destiny Tour, shortly after the release of Off The Wall. I'd love to see a show from the second or (short) third leg of this tour as well as a Triumph Tour show.

I agree with you about Triumph vs Victory. The main issue for me is that the music just sounds so much better on the Triumph tour (as well as the Destiny tour). There is too much of a reliance on synthesizers during the Victory tour and the arrangements sound less organic. I also really miss the horn section that the brothers had with them during Destiny and Triumph. From the clips we have seen Michael does seem more engaged during the Triumph tour than the Victory tour.

I'd love to see a Victory Tour concert in excellent quality too though.

LOL @ the shade.

But I agree. Triumph is my most anticipated tour release now. The only thing is those concerts were very short, so I hope they will put at least two shows on a DVD/Blue-ray.

I agree with your original opinion, but no way is the Destiny Tour anywhere close to the Triumph Tour. The Triumph Tour is a masterclass of dancing & vocals, Michael looks extremely focused and is performing with his full level of genius. Riding off the success from 'Off The Wall' his passion for performing, just kept on growing through each performance. IMO, why release Victory Tour 1984? just release BAD Tour 1987.. it's better + doesn't have Jermaine, and it's basically the exact same setlist with two song's from his new album included. I do hope that there will be a Blu-Ray of the Triumph Tour, it needs to happen.

Oh, yeah Yokohama 1987 is way better than Victory. I bought a DVD at the record store in 2008 but it has a bad quality image but everything else is better. I've been trying to find the suggestions for the online thread to suggest them to release Triumph together with the Off The Wall documentary but I can't find it anymore.

I see respect's point about releasing Destiny/Triumph tours together in DVD and blu ray.

The Triumph Tour was the best tour Michael Jackson ever did, it was the best tour all the brothers ever did.....even as Michael was the centerpiece, all the brothers showcased their musical ability proving that they were the ultimate self contained unit on stage.......everyone contributed to the group's performance...the way Michael Jackson danced during this tour was awe-inspiring.....

all of the staging that Michael designed for his solo tours, derived from the Triumph Tour, the segment during his solo tours where he performs Working Day and Night then during the breakdown, he is taken away and either trapped inside of a cage or hidden underneath covering, then reappear in a cloud of smoke for his next number, they all originated from the Triumph Tour, he did the exact same thing when he started performing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, a song his brother Randy helped develop the rhythm arrangement for

Marlon Jackson worked with Michael in developing the group's dance routines for the tour, Jackie Jackson made sure the brothers were in tip top shop during the tour, the light torch that Michael raised up in the air during his solo tours, specifically the History Tour, that was a concept contributed by Randy Jackson along with Michael

Jackie wrote Can You Feel It, which became a legendary staple of the Jacksons

Shake Your Body Down To The Ground was co-written and produced by Randy

Tito played that bass guitar like his life depended on it....

All the vocals were live

if this was every released this tour on DVD, people would be shell shocked spontaneous Michael Jackson was then....

Oh, yeah Yokohama 1987 is way better than Victory. I bought a DVD at the record store in 2008 but it has a bad quality image but everything else is better. I've been trying to find the suggestions for the online thread to suggest them to release Triumph together with the Off The Wall documentary but I can't find it anymore.

I see respect's point about releasing Destiny/Triumph tours together in DVD and blu ray.

Yokohama is a wonderful concert, i'll help you find the highest quality! just drop me a PM :) vocals are top form and his dancing is just ecstatic!! i definitely wish they would have considered a Triumph Tour Blu-Ray to coincide with the OFF THE WALL celebrations, but it's too late i guess. We need more Michael in high def, and i don't see the point in buying tape source anymore. Especially when they own the negatives

I'd be more excited if the Estate released in a better quality that tour because:

*It was a collective effort to put together the show.
*Michael wasn't emotionally blackmailed do to that tour, unlike Victory. Therefore he was happier to be there. With Victory, he seemed angry at some moments, I bet the ticket sale fiasco had something to do with it.
*The music sounded better.
*There was more variety of songs performed.

Look how Michael outshines in singing and dancing to his brothers to the point of embarrassment despite the bad quality of image of these videos.

Feel free to ignore the brothers until Michael reappears at 4:30.

Hey, Marlon was pretty darn sexy with this. Whew.

I agree with your original opinion, but no way is the Destiny Tour anywhere close to the Triumph Tour. The Triumph Tour is a masterclass of dancing & vocals, Michael looks extremely focused and is performing with his full level of genius. Riding off the success from 'Off The Wall' his passion for performing, just kept on growing through each performance. IMO, why release Victory Tour 1984? just release BAD Tour 1987.. it's better + doesn't have Jermaine, and it's basically the exact same setlist with two song's from his new album included. I do hope that there will be a Blu-Ray of the Triumph Tour, it needs to happen.

I disagree with this, big time. Victory tour deserves an official release. "Riding of the success from Off The Wall" what did you think he did with Victory tour? First time performing his iconic songs like Wbss, Beat It, billie Jean and human nature live on tour. You get to see him building and moulding the routines for these songs which would become center pieces in his later tours. Plus, Michael was much more spontaneous during the tours with his brothers than he was on his solo tours. I would actually want to see a Victory show, or triumph, or destiny before I see another Bad Tour.

His confidence on the Victory Tour was sky high. That's vibe I get when I see him descend with his brothers front the stairs and slowly remove his glasses just standing there and then../Cue drums for Wanna be starting something. Awesome

Release them all - Destiny, Triumph, Victory, another Bad, another Dangerous (I can do without HIStory tour). Case solved.

Release them all - Destiny, Triumph, Victory, another Bad, another Dangerous (I can do without HIStory tour). Case solved.

Release the HIStory Tour exclusive song's, but just from the rehearsals :D other than that i agree, i want each tour in High Def.. even J5 live 1972!

There are only two reasons why Triumph is better than Victory.

1. No Jermaine
2. No pressure

The Triumph Tour was the best tour Michael Jackson ever did, it was the best tour all the brothers ever did.....even as Michael was the centerpiece, all the brothers showcased their musical ability proving that they were the ultimate self contained unit on stage.......everyone contributed to the group's performance...the way Michael Jackson danced during this tour was awe-inspiring.....

all of the staging that Michael designed for his solo tours, derived from the Triumph Tour, the segment during his solo tours where he performs Working Day and Night then during the breakdown, he is taken away and either trapped inside of a cage or hidden underneath covering, then reappear in a cloud of smoke for his next number, they all originated from the Triumph Tour, he did the exact same thing when he started performing Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, a song his brother Randy helped develop the rhythm arrangement for

Marlon Jackson worked with Michael in developing the group's dance routines for the tour, Jackie Jackson made sure the brothers were in tip top shop during the tour, the light torch that Michael raised up in the air during his solo tours, specifically the History Tour, that was a concept contributed by Randy Jackson along with Michael

Jackie wrote Can You Feel It, which became a legendary staple of the Jacksons

Shake Your Body Down To The Ground was co-written and produced by Randy

Tito played that bass guitar like his life depended on it....

All the vocals were live

if this was every released this tour on DVD, people would be shell shocked spontaneous Michael Jackson was then....

Great post!

I disagree with this, big time. Victory tour deserves an official release. "Riding of the success from Off The Wall" what did you think he did with Victory tour? First time performing his iconic songs like Wbss, Beat It, billie Jean and human nature live on tour. You get to see him building and moulding the routines for these songs which would become center pieces in his later tours. Plus, Michael was much more spontaneous during the tours with his brothers than he was on his solo tours. I would actually want to see a Victory show, or triumph, or destiny before I see another Bad Tour.

His confidence on the Victory Tour was sky high. That's vibe I get when I see him descend with his brothers front the stairs and slowly remove his glasses just standing there and then../Cue drums for Wanna be starting something. Awesome

Another great post!

It is a disservice to not see this man's growth as an artist by focusing only on his solo tours particularly because they became more and more restrictive. There are maybe a handful of artists - if that much - who are as successful in a group setting as they are as individuals. In my view, no one was more successful than Michael in this regard. I completely agree with you that Michael was much more free and - as you said - spontaneous during the group tours than he was on his individual tours.

I personally see no reason in seeing one tour over the other. The Jacksons were known for high-energy, quality shows. There were no such comments of seeing Michael and ignoring his brothers during those times. Both tours are magic and a lesson in Michael's artistry is not complete with seeing only one of these two tours. If one tour was to be released, there should be a demand for the unreleased tour to follow suit.

Last edited:
Back