Michael's appearances on different singers' albums and other projects

InvincibleMJ

Proud Member
I'm lisetning to the playlist of the "featuring MJ" songs I made after I got them all from Itunes some time ago (including Michael's charity projects) I thought maybe these songs need some fan attention on here too :D

OTW Era:

1980 -

(Jacksons' Triumph)

I'm In Love Again (Minnie Riperton) - duet
Save Me (Dave Mason) - duet
Night Time Lover (La Toya Jackson) - duet
All I Do (Is Think About You) (Stevie Wonder) - Background vocals

1981 -
Just Friends (Carole Bayer Sager) - duet
Goin Back To Alabama (Kenny Rogers) - backing vocals
Don't Let a Woman (Make a Fool Out of You) (Joe Carrasco) - backing vocals

1982 -
State of Independence (Donna Summer) - backing vocals
Muscles (Diana Ross) - Songwriting and backing vocals

These songs weren't such a great success, I'm not sure which ones got released as singles. Some of them look like a friendly "favor" and in some his part is very small.

Thriller Era - He was very productive in that matter, in 1984 he finished the Thriller promotion (Singles + Short Films) and was more focused on the Victory Tour. Although his participation in Victory album was significantly smaller than in the previous Jacksons albums, we got many songs from Michael in other ways. I think it was a very good move because that way he could earn more time before his next album and still be in the public's sight. Say Say Say and We Are The World sure did it... Not that I think WATW was anything but good will of the people who took part of it.

1983 -

(ET soundtrack)

Say Say Say (Paul McCartney) - Probably the most succesful collaboration Michael had outside his albums. Paul's 2nd most succsesful "solo" single (After Ebony and Ivory with Stevie Wonder) and they even recorded this wonderful shortfilm.
The Man (Paul McCartney)

- duet + Co-writing

The way Michael described the work with Paul in Moonwalk makes me very greatful that this collaboration ever happened and not just because of these two great songs: (from Wiki)

George Martin, who had worked with The Beatles, produced the song. He said of his experience with Jackson, "He actually does radiate an aura when he comes into the studio, there's no question about it. He's not a musician in the sense that Paul is ... but he does know what he wants in music and he has very firm ideas."[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Jackson also spoke of the experience in his autobiography, Moonwalk. The younger singer revealed that the collaboration boosted his confidence, as Quincy Jones—producer of Thriller—was not present to correct his mistakes. Jackson added that he and McCartney worked as equals, stating, "Paul never had to carry me in that studio."[SUP][9][/SUP]

I think this is very telling and maybe even a turning point for Michael as an independent artist and a song writer/producer.

(Jacksons' album Victory)

Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good To Be True) (Jermaine Jackson) - duet + co-writing
Don't Stand Another Chance (Janet Jackson) (Not a real collaboration\duet)
Centipede (Rebbie Jackson) - Backing vocals and song writing.
Somebody's Watchin' Me (Rockwell) - backing vocals. Another succesful hit, to this day.

Eaten Alive (Diana Ross) - co wrote and co produced the song with the Bee Gees, background vocals.
We Are The World (USA for Africa) - He's not really a guest singer in this song since that's practically his project with Lionel Richie, Quincy Jones & Michael Omartian but I think it worths mentioning here because it's not a solo project. People often rightfully associate We Are The World with Michael and it's a part of his legacy.

Bad Era

Get It
(Stevie Wonder)

Again probably returning a favor for "Just Good Friends".

2300 Jackson Street (Jacksons without Michael) - one verse.

Dangerous Era - I think after Bad Michael had a different approach in general, as he evidently didn't take part in as many projects as before. His performances became more rare, maybe to increase the excitment to when it's actually his songs or his projects. I think anticipation became a factor in Michael's method and he let the people miss him. Again I think it was a good move at that point of his career. In his Thriller days he needed to establish his status.

Satisfy You (Bryan Loren) - backing vocals
Whatzupwitu (Eddie Murphy) - duet\backing vocals
Yeah (Eddie Murphy) - "yeah"

To me that's just Michael being nice :lol:

HIStory Era

Why (3T) - duet + producer
I Need You (3T) - background vocals

Fly Away (Rebbie Jackson) - Producer + songwriter. 3 years later released as solo MJ song in Bad SE.

Invincible Era

What More Can I Give

All In Your Name (Barry Gibb) - duet, unreleased until 2011

Others:

2008/2010

Hold My Hand
(Akon/MJ) - This duet was supposed to be on both of Akon's and Michael's future albums. Released Later on the "Michael" project.

1983/2014

There Must Be More Than Life Than This (Queen/Freddie Mercury) - Released as a duet in 2014

There are unreleased collaborations too but I don't know much about them... If you want to make a list go ahead. Sorry if I forgot some songs, please let me know I'll add them to the list.

Thoughts on these songs? Are you sad Michael didn't include some of them in his albums? Are there songs you wish Michael didn't do because they aren't good or "MJ worthy"?

What's your top 15 MJ collaborations? You can add the songs from Michael's albums as well.

You forgot the timeless duet with Justin Bieber on Slave to the Rhythm!!!

*runs and jumps behind cover*

You run, Historic. I'll give you a head start

tumblr_n9032gmfKR1r5mbvpo1_500.gif

I absoluetly adore Save me with Dave Mason! His voice sounds so young and vibrant in that song and those adlibs are magnificent!

Another one I really love is "Who's Right, Who's Wrong" With Kenny Loggins.

[youtube]watch?v=6RCuROaJ7EI[/youtube]

There are a couple of songs missing

Joe Carrasco - Don't Let A Woman Make A Fool Of you (Bg Vocals)
[youtube]rYEF5go9uNU[/youtube]

Invincible 2001

Jay-Z - Girls Girls Girls (Remix) Ft Michael Jackson (though I can't really hear MJ's vocals on this)
[youtube]M25lnBq4A0[/youtube]

Brandy It's Not Worth It (Bg Vocals)

[youtube]XlRUpUBV9Ts[/youtube]

Last edited:
What about "You're the One"-song he wrote for Jennifer Holiday. Doesn't he also whisper 'you're the one' ? Love the song. It's SO romantic.
Does it count?

Thanks Themidwestcowboy! I didn't know the one with Kenny Loggins! I love the "Tell Me!"

Joe Carrasco's song is in the list... check 1981 :)

Forgot about It's Not Worth It... Jay-Z I can't hear him either. Is there instrumental version of it? I think we may hear him there.

Jay-Z - Girls Girls Girls (Remix) Ft Michael Jackson (though I can't really hear MJ's vocals on this)
[youtube]M25lnBq4A0[/youtube]

MJ is not on that version. The version where MJ sings background vocals is still unreleased.

What about "You're the One"-song he wrote for Jennifer Holiday. Doesn't he also whisper 'you're the one' ? Love the song. It's SO romantic.
Does it count?

He just wrote the song. There is no his vocals on the song.

Thanks Themidwestcowboy! I didn't know the one with Kenny Loggins! I love the "Tell Me!"

Joe Carrasco's song is in the list... check 1981 :)

Forgot about It's Not Worth It... Jay-Z I can't hear him either. Is there instrumental version of it? I think we may hear him there.

Oh sorry I missed the Joe Carrasco song!

Yeah. The "tell me" part is my favorite. I also love the outro "Right or wrong baby!"

I searched for it but to no avail. The only instrumental I could find was the instrumental for the original song..
[youtube]iMKbruForhE[/youtube]

Ok so my top 15:

1. Say Say Say
2. We Are The World
3. The Man
4. Just Good Friends
5. Why
6. Hold My Hand
7. Get It
8. Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin'
9. Scream
10. The Girl Is Mine
11. Just Friends
12. Somebody's Watchin' Me
13. I Need You (I know he got a little part in it but it's amazing)
14. Eaten Alive (For the adlibs. :woohoo:)
15. Whatzupwitu

His vocals in Centipede are also great... my least favorite songs are the ones with Janet and Latoya

Last edited:
You are missing The Wiz songs:

Ease on Down the Road (Diana Ross and Michael Jackson)
You Can't Win (Michael Jackson)
Be a Lion (The Wiz Stars)
A Brand New Day (The Wiz Stars)

Also missing from the list:

This Is It (with The Jacksons)
What a Fool Believes (The Doobie Brothers)
Here to Love You (The Doobie Brothers)
Minute by Minute (The Doobie Brothers)
This Had to Be (The Brothers Johnson)
The Dude (Quincy Jones)
Papa Was a Rollin' Stone (Bill Wolfer)
So Shy (Bill Wolfer)
Do the Bartman (The Simpsons)

OnirMJ;4079916 said:
MJ is not on that version. The version where MJ sings background vocals is still unreleased.

Well this is what Jay-Z told NME back in 2009

“He was on my song ‘Girls, Girls, Girls’, singing these background vocals and I didn’t even put his name on it.”

But yeah you could be right, because I really have a hard time hearing his voice in that track. It could be that he sang on top of the sample and that they turned down his vocals a bit to make it blend more smoothly, I don't really know tho.

Themidwestcowboy;4079932 said:
Well this is what Jay-Z told NME back in 2009

“He was on my song ‘Girls, Girls, Girls’, singing these background vocals and I didn’t even put his name on it.”

But yeah you could be right, because I really have a hard time hearing his voice in that track. It could be that he sang on top of the sample and that they turned down his vocals a bit to make it blend more smoothly, I don't really know tho.

I can't hear him either, but that's because he's not there at all. I think even Korgnex confirmed that.

I know he said that, but there was a discussion about that topic here a while ago and an article was posted from 2001 where it said that the release of the version where MJ sings BG vocals was cancelled because of MJ/Mottola fight that was going around that time. Basically that Sony blocked its release.

I think that Jay simply forgot that whole incident and remembered the song he listened in his home that has MJ's vocals on.

Great thread and great idea. Now, I'm gonna make a Featuring MJ playlist on Spotify as well.

OnirMJ;4079927 said:
Also missing from the list:

What a Fool Believes (The Doobie Brothers)
Here to Love You (The Doobie Brothers)
Minute by Minute (The Doobie Brothers)

According to the Doobie Brothers this is not true:

Rumor has it that Michael Jackson secretly recorded background vocals for the Doobie Brothers‘ hit ‘Minute by Minute’ record. But as the band’s Patrick Simmons reminded us during a recent conversation with Ultimate Classic Rock, rumors aren’t always true.

Simmons refuted the rumor point blank when asked about it, explaining, “No, it’s not. He was kidding around while someone had a video camera going. I don’t know if he ever told her the truth.”

However, as Simmons went on to tell us, a Doobies/MJ team-up actually could have happened during the ‘Minute by Minute’ sessions, if only the band had thought to ask. “He was a good guy — he was always hanging around a lot, and he did come into the studio for our rehearsals once in awhile,” he recalled. “I wish we had called him in for that, and I know he would have done it in a second, but I don’t think it ever entered our heads to invite him. I don’t know why — I guess because we were a band and we wanted to do everything ourselves.”

For anyone who took the rumor at face value, it might make you feel better to know that even if Jackson’s voice isn’t present in the mix for ‘Minute by Minute,’ that doesn’t mean they never performed together. As Simmons explains, “He did come and sing backgrounds with us on several occasions at shows.’

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/doobie-brothers-michael-jackson-debunked/

3T's Why is my favourite featuring MJ track. Always loved it.

Well, now it's up to us to choose who will we believe. And I choose to believe Michael, because he had no reason to lie. That footage was never meant to be released. That member of The Doobie Brothers had a reason or a secret motive to lie, maybe he's not a fan of MJ or maybe he doesn't want to be associated with MJ in any way - like many other people in showbusiness after 1993 (hypocrites).

Can you hear Michael on them? I checked What a Fool Believes and I couldn't :(

MJ's background vocals for Brandy's "It's Not Worth It" also appear on Rodney Jerkins' "Ride With Me" (released on Versatility in 2006):

It's hard because he's not singing alone. He's singing along with other members of the band, but I think he's there. I think I can hear him on What A Fool Believes & Minute By Minute. Not on Here To Love You though. I can't really be sure.

What others think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjMgX09es4

I can't hear him either, but that's because he's not there at all. I think even Korgnex confirmed that.

I know he said that, but there was a discussion about that topic here a while ago and an article was posted from 2001 where it said that the release of the version where MJ sings BG vocals was cancelled because of MJ/Mottola fight that was going around that time. Basically that Sony blocked its release.

I think that Jay simply forgot that whole incident and remembered the song he listened in his home that has MJ's vocals on.
Correct. Sony wouldn't allow MJ to appear & then Jay blocked Sony from releasing his remix of YRMW, if I remember correctly. That whole era was a mess behind the scenes.

Well, now it's up to us to choose who will we believe. And I choose to believe Michael, because he had no reason to lie. That footage was never meant to be released. That member of The Doobie Brothers had a reason or a secret motive to lie, maybe he's not a fan of MJ or maybe he doesn't want to be associated with MJ in any way - like many other people in showbusiness after 1993 (hypocrites).
Yeah, but if that was the case he wouldn't have said Michael sang at their shows or called him a good guy.

Michael could have just been fooling around with her on the phone. It's not like he claimed it as fact in an interview. In official interviews, I always believe Michael.

MJ's background vocals for Brandy's "It's Not Worth It" also appear on Rodney Jerkins' "Ride With Me" (released on Versatility in 2006):

I really hope Michael recorded a full song on this beat. It's so mellow! Off The Wall/Thriller vibe

Yeah, but if that was the case he wouldn't have said Michael sang at their shows or called him a good guy.

Michael could have just been fooling around with her on the phone. It's not like he claimed it as fact in an interview. In official interviews, I always believe Michael.

Idk to be honest. Either the guy from the doobie brothers is lying or Michael was lying to Elizabeth. Th way he said it,he sounded somewhat serious. Or it could all just be a practical joke he played, we'll probably never know

Last edited:
were you able to find them all on Spotify? I couldn't on Itunes

No.

I did not find:

Night Time Lover (La Toya Jackson)
Goin Back To Alabama (Kenny Rogers)
We Are The World (not the original)
Satisfy You (Bryan Loren)
Whatzupwitu (Eddie Murphy)
Yeah (Eddie Murphy)
There Must Be More Than Life Than This (Queen/Freddie Mercury)
Jennifer Holiday - You're the One
This Had to Be (The Brothers Johnson)

ETA:

Rodney Jerkins' "Ride With Me" is not on Spotify either.

Last edited:
Back