Questions about the Destiny Tour..

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
How many legs did they do with the Destiny Tour? This is a perennial problem because fans always confuse it with the Triumph Tour

I reckon there were three legs right?

1st Leg
1. "Dancing Machine"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Ben"
4. "Keep on Dancing"
5. Jackson 5 Medley
6. "I'll Be There"
7. "Enjoy Yourself"
8. "Destiny"
9. "Show You the Way to Go"
10. "All Night Dancin'"
11. "Blame It on the Boogie"

[Youtube]kn8t0k6dBdA[/youtube]

2nd leg

1. "Dancing Machine"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Get It Together"
4. "Ben"
5. "Keep on Dancing"
6. "I Wanna Be Where You Are"
7. Jackson 5 Medley
8. "I'll Be There"
9. "Enjoy Yourself"
10. "Blame It on the Boogie"
11. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
12. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"

[youtube]TcTltS9XOBc[/youtube]

3rd Leg Not sure of the exact setlist for the third leg

1. "Dancing Machine"
2. "Things I Do for You"
3. "Off The Wall"
4. "Ben"
5. "Keep on Dancing"
6. "I Wanna Be Where You Are"
7. Jackson 5 Medley
8. "Rock With You"
9. Blame It On The Boggie
10. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
11. Shake Your Body Down To The Ground
[youtube]cCUMooX1XLc[/youtube]

[Youtube]BywZv7apVbw[/youtube]

Did they perform Working Day And Night on the third leg?

This tour was probably the most flexible tour MJ ever did. It seems that the setlist was always fluctuating around. I would really love to see a Destiny Concert but the question is, what leg would be the most interesting to watch?

Me too. You'd be well annoyed at what looks like a 70 minute show (as great as it must have been).

These were short shows - only about 50-60 minutes each.

Were they co-headlining with another act or something? Just seems very odd to do such a short show.

I don't know. Just based on the concerts you find on YT. And of course the short set list. That's why I think if they release it they need to put more shows on the DVD. They can put one on it from each leg.

I don't know. Just based on the concerts you find on YT. And of course the short set list. That's why I think if they release it they need to put more shows on the DVD. They can put one on it from each leg.
I've never actually watched a full show, just select performances. Although what I have seen has been pretty amazing. The band really were firing on all cylinders back then.

I've never actually watched a full show, just select performances. Although what I have seen has been pretty amazing. The band really were firing on all cylinders back then.

You can see two full shows in the OP. One is 50 minutes long, the other is 61 minutes.

I think R&B and blues shows of the time in general were short. This was probably because they were often package shows with multiple acts. I have a Gap Band show from the early 1980s and it lasts about a hour. There's a 1979 Teddy Pendergrass concert on video and a and it's a little over an hour too. I remember they used to show this Midnight Star concert on BET and it lasted about 45-50 minutes without the commercials.

Is there anyone here on the board who attended any leg of The Destiny tour?
Please share your experience and thoughts about the length, the setlist etc. Did they perform Working Day And night?

I'm fairly sure 'Working Day And Night' was first performed on the Triumph Tour, of course the Destiny Tour is great and all but i just think the Triumph Tour is more theatrical overall.. the dancing appears stronger and Michael's vocals had matured so beautifully. Like a flower at the dawn of spring.

I think shows back then in general were just shorter, or as other said, shared with other groups.

every time i watch the 1st leg i wonder who the hell the idiot was that cuts away from Michael as he does the robot and shows the feet of the brothers the ENTIRE time. Dummies. Must've been Jermaine in charge of editing hahaha

Interview with James McField, keyboardist on the Destiny Tour:

One question I have about J5 that some people might know: when did Johny Jackson stop playing drums? When did Tony Lewis start? Was there anybody between the two? There's a bit of a lack of info in this era, it might well be covered in a tour program.

Back