Question about Hold My Hand

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
Don't know if it has allready been discussed, but theres one line in Hold My Hand that doesn't sound like Michael to me. It sounds more like it should sound like Michael.
2:42 - 2:46 "Nothing can come between us if you just"
What do you think about that?

Don't understand me wrong. The rest of the vocals are perfect! But since i heard that song the First time that line just sound different. Not like Akon and not like Michael.
I think in the leak the line was sung by Akon and not Michael.

I really never pay any attention to it i do not listen to the song that much now sorry.

Not so sure what you mean but it's Michael :)
Im the whole song Michael always sings the part: Things will be better if you just" and after that part Akon sings: "Nothing can come between us if you just".

But at 2:42 Michael sings also Akons part. At least it sounds like Michael.

And this one sentence sounds soooo different than Michaels other vocals in that song.

I noticed this the first time i heard the song. And i thought maybe it's Akons voice pitched up to sound like Michael.
I know that sounds somehow crazy. I mean why should he do it.

But to check this i listened to the leaked version. In the 2007 demo akon sung this sentence. I know it also can be Michael because akon added a few recorded vocals of Michael for the 2010 release. But to me it sounds different.

I do understand which part of the song you meant but I don't hear anything "different" in it sorry

Whilst we're on the subject of HMH and who sings what... my wife thinks Michael sings on the bridge part ("I've been there before and you've been there before.....") but I don't hear MJ's voice on that bit at all. Does anyone else hear MJ on that part?

Whilst we're on the subject of HMH and who sings what... my wife thinks Michael sings on the bridge part ("I've been there before and you've been there before.....") but I don't hear MJ's voice on that bit at all. Does anyone else hear MJ on that part?
I think he's not as loud as Akon in the Bridge. I think i can hear his voice in the Background ;)

Do you know what i meant in my first post or can't you hear a differince in the part i mentioned?

Im the whole song Michael always sings the part: Things will be better if you just" and after that part Akon sings: "Nothing can come between us if you just".

But at 2:42 Michael sings also Akons part. At least it sounds like Michael.

And this one sentence sounds soooo different than Michaels other vocals in that song.

I noticed this the first time i heard the song. And i thought maybe it's Akons voice pitched up to sound like Michael.
I know that sounds somehow crazy. I mean why should he do it.

But to check this i listened to the leaked version. In the 2007 demo akon sung this sentence. I know it also can be Michael because akon added a few recorded vocals of Michael for the 2010 release. But to me it sounds different.
It's def Michael's voice, not Akon's voice pitched up. The only things I notice there are firstly what sounds like perhaps some sort of processing on the word 'between', and secondly that I think maybe the first part ("nothing can come between us") and the second ("if you just") are cut together from two different takes, as there seems to be a bit of an odd transition there (but I'm not sure about that).

By memory only, Akon sings "nothing" which runs into Michael's line.

It only appeared on the official release after Akon went back and added in more Michael to make it more acceptable to be the lead single. I imagine they were struggling to find an MJ take of the whole line so supplemented it with Akon to fill in the gaps.

I think you're very wrong. It is without a doubt MJ and the line 'nothing can come between us if you jusss' is one of his finest vocal performances ever imo and this moment alone is worth to buy the album

That's definitely Michael - though I do agree the first half of the line ("Nothing can come...") sounds like a third singer altogether. The last half ("...between us if you just") is clearly Michael though.

That's definitely Michael - though I do agree the first half of the line ("Nothing can come...") sounds like a third singer altogether. The last half ("...between us if you just") is clearly Michael though.
Thats exactly what i thought! ;)

I'm glad that i'm not the only one who can hear the difference :D

Last edited:
By memory only, Akon sings "nothing" which runs into Michael's line.

It only appeared on the official release after Akon went back and added in more Michael to make it more acceptable to be the lead single. I imagine they were struggling to find an MJ take of the whole line so supplemented it with Akon to fill in the gaps.
Yeah that could be the answer.
Or maybe it's just a melodyne correction? ;)

I think he's not as loud as Akon in the Bridge. I think i can hear his voice in the Background.

I really don't hear MJ singing on that part at all. Does anyone else hear him on the bridge ("I've been there before and you've been there before but together we can be alright...." etc)??

I think you're very wrong. It is without a doubt MJ and the line 'nothing can come between us if you jusss' is one of his finest vocal performances ever imo and this moment alone is worth to buy the album
But if you compare 2:37 - 2:40 "Things will be better if you just" and 2:43 - 2:47 "Nothing can come between us if you just" there's a huuuge difference. Why should he sing those two parts so different when they are so similar? ;)

Sry for posting so much but i just can't believe that nobody beside of me and two others can't hear that :D

Back