Votes: 48 37.8%
  • HIStory

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • Invincible

Votes: 14 11.0%

• Total voters

Bubs

Proud Member
A decade after helming the King of Pop's 1996 music video for "They Don't Care About Us," the filmmaker is bringing his doc 'Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown to Off the Wall' to the festival.

A version of this story first appeared in the Jan. 29 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.

John Branca had been Michael Jackson's longtime legal adviser and friend since the 1980s and, as the co-executor of the Michael Jackson estate (along with music executive John McClain), has continued to keep the iconic singer's legacy alive since his death in 2009. After Michael Jackson's This Is It — the 2009 concert documentary that followed Jackson as he prepared for his concert tour — became the top-grossing concert doc of all time ($261.2 million worldwide), the estate decided to make another documentary.

But who should helm it? Spike Lee, who had directed Jackson's 1996 music videos for "They Don't Care About Us," was an obvious choice. "Spike is a great director and a good friend, but he's also a huge Michael Jackson fan," says Branca, who hired Lee to direct 2012's Bad 25, a retrospective on the making of Jackson's 1987 album.

Lee, who hosts an annual tribute to the late singer in Brooklyn, heads to Sundance this year with Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown to Off the Wall, which follows Jackson from his days in the Jackson 5 to his launch as a solo artist with 1979's Off the Wall. "This is a coming-of-age story," says Branca, who serves as a producer on the film, which features Lee's interviews with such stars as John Legend, Questlove, Pharrell Williams, Lee Daniels and Kobe Bryant. "He starts out as a child star who supported his entire family. And then, through a crisis in his career — leaving Motown — re-emerges as a solo artist. It's a compelling story."

Branca says they wanted to work with Lee again because of the shorthand that's developed between them. "There's never any tension. I have a lot of ideas when it comes to these things — there's always a great give-and-take," he says.

Branca is most involved in the outlining stage, and then comes in again to help with the edit after Lee has done the interviews. For Off the Wall, Branca helped cut it down from 120 minutes to 90. "We wanted to keep the pace and the tempo moving," he says.

And there's more Michael on the horizon. Lee hopes to make a trilogy of Michael Jackson docs, and has already said he'd love to finish it off with a film about the 1982 album Thriller.

"We definitely want to do a third one," adds Branca. "Thriller would be a logical choice because it's the biggest-selling album in history, but I've always felt that Michael's History album was his most unappreciated. When you really listen to that album, start to finish, you can't help but be blown away at the quality of the music."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spike-lees-michael-jackson-doc-857179

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

"we definitely want to do a third one," adds branca. "thriller would be a logical choice because it's the biggest-selling album in history, but i've always felt that michael's history album was his most unappreciated. When you really listen to that album, start to finish, you can't help but be blown away at the quality of the music."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spike-lees-michael-jackson-doc-857179

John Branca, you now have my attention sir........

"We definitely want to do a third one," adds Branca. "Thriller would be a logical choice because it's the biggest-selling album in history, but I've always felt that Michael's History album was his most unappreciated. When you really listen to that album, start to finish, you can't help but be blown away at the quality of the music."

Way to go Branca. Way to go! Spike won't be happy though. Hahaha..

Well, who said it had to be a trilogy and cannot be more? :cheeky:

Well, who said it had to be a trilogy and cannot be more? :cheeky:

The most fair it would be double trilogy. One film for each album. But I agree with Branca. HIStory should be next because Thriller already had its celebration. HIStory should come next with blu-ray and 3D concert release and a documentary. If that happens I will be so happy :D.

Perfect way to show some "One Night Only" footage too!

Perfect way to show some "One Night Only" footage too!

Yeah! And many others. But I heard One Night Only footage was lost. Damein Sheilds wrote about it, I think.

I don't think Spike would mind doing a documentary that goes over a time where he HIMSELF worked with Michael.. I think they can come to an agreement..Do Thriller Documentary IF you agree to do History as well!!

sign,and done..

Way to go Branca. Way to go! Spike won't be happy though. Hahaha..

Why is that? He's connected to that album a little more than Michael's previous projects lol. It could be his chance to sit in front of the camera and share his personal memories during that time.

Why is that? He's connected to that album a little more than Michael's previous projects lol. It could be his chance to sit in front of the camera and share his personal memories during that time.

Yeah, but he expressed the wish to do Thriller next few times already.

I'd love the Estate a little more if a HIStory doc happens and if they choose Spike to diirect it, I hope he's willing to do so since he directed the 2 versions of TDCAU. I'd be glad they put to rest the anti semitic bullshit the media created in a mainstream way, just to mention one of the tracks.

History would be brilliant idea. So much stuff to go in to that documentary, and it is going to be controversial given the songs in the album.
Michael was never given voice in the media around that time, but if this documentary is made, then he finally gets his say.
I get goosebumps from the thought of it:D

I would be much more interested in a documentary about HIStory than Thriller. Thriller would definitely appeal to the public more, which is why it's my thinking that this will be the one that gets made (if only 3 are being considered). Let's face it, everything else so far since 2009 has been aimed at mainstream commercial success (with the exception of Bad25 perhaps).

It would be great to break this pattern with, what I consider, Michael's most artistically and personally creative album by miles. I read some book that claimed that Dangerous was a concept album, which hurt my brain struggling to even see a glimpse of this being correct. With HIStory, I genuinely see a story being played out in those 15 tracks. It would be great to see these songs discussed even greater. The most we have is MJ discussing Childhood, about how it's the song he tells people to listen to, and the behind the scenes footage of the mixing of Tabloid Junkie.

How many times have we heard that when the first mix of Thriller was played out loud it sounded TERRIBLE?... There's only so many times you can view stock interviews of Quincy Jones.

To think about the songs is the album and story behind them:
TDCAU, plenty of footage and stories to go with it, and how it is even today used to raise awareness social issues.
SITM, great
Earth Song, and how its being used even today to raise environmental issues.
YANA, they could get LMP talk about video and raise some fans blood pressure:)
D.S, what can I say:D
Some people don't think much about DS, but to Michael it mattered and he said plenty in it.

Yes, History documentary would be epic.

Anyways, back to current documentary. I think we get more footage and reviews from Sunday onwards, looking forward good reviews:)

Last edited:

How many times have we heard that when the first mix of Thriller was played out loud it sounded TERRIBLE?... There's only so many times you can view stock interviews of Quincy Jones.

I'm with you on this one. I feel like Thriller has been talked about to death, and lots of behind the scenes stories have been told many times. Like how Bruce Swedien did about 100 mixes of Billie Jean, but then the 2nd mix was the one that was used, or the story about Eddie Van Halen hanging the phone up on Quincy when he was asked to appear on Beat It. And Rod Temperton's story about how he wrote the rap for Vincent Price for Thriller on his car ride on the way to the studio has been told. And probably tons of other stuff I'm missing

If they did do a Thriller documentary, then they'd have to come up with some interesting stories that no one has heard before.

I'm with you on this one. I feel like Thriller has been talked about to death, and lots of behind the scenes stories have been told many times. Like how Bruce Swedien did about 100 mixes of Billie Jean, but then the 2nd mix was the one that was used, or the story about Eddie Van Halen hanging the phone up on Quincy when he was asked to appear on Beat It. And Rod Temperton's story about how he wrote the rap for Vincent Price for Thriller on his car ride on the way to the studio has been told. And probably tons of other stuff I'm missing

If they did do a Thriller documentary, then they'd have to come up with some interesting stories that no one has heard before.

One major factor which would seriously pull away from a possible Thriller documentary would be if Paul McCartney was not involved aoutomatic fail. That's already a huge hurdle that could go either way. I'd be inclined to believe Paul would love to offer his thoughts given his attitude to MJ over the past few years.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what Carole has to say in the documentary, and how it compares with how Siedah felt at the prospect of doing a duet with Michael Jackson. 2 completely different Michael Jacksons so will be interesting to see what Carole's attitude and thoughts were about dueting with the rising star.

I do hope they do Thriller documentary too, because it is nearly 2 generations old and for some of younger generations Thriller is only a song that will be played during Halloween. Thriller is an important so many levels, and not everybody is so informed about its process like us, and what went on making Thriller.

I do hope they do documentary of all of Michael albums.

Back to this documentary, MJ website states this
Good Morning America aired a preview of MICHAEL JACKSON'S Journey from Motown to Off The Wall which included a second sneak peek of previously unseen Triumph Tour footage pulled from Michael’s own vaults

I wonder if Michael had the whole concert or just a bit of it?

To think about the songs is the album and story behind them:
TDCAU, plenty of footage and stories to go with it, and how it is even today used to raise awareness social issues.
SITM, great
Earth Song, and how its being used even today to raise environmental issues.
YANA, they could get LMP talk about video and raise some fans blood pressure:)
D.S, what can I say:D
Some people don't think much about DS, but to Michael it mattered and he said plenty in it.

Yes, History documentary would be epic.

Anyways, back to current documentary. I think we get more footage and reviews from Sunday onwards, looking forward good reviews:)
Yes, i have always wanted some behind the scenes footage from you are not alone Video :yes:

Yes, i have always wanted some behind the scenes footage from you are not alone Video :yes:

Something like nude Michael? :giggle:
What really was under that loincloth (or whatever it was), and how many of the staff got to see him naked/semi naked?:cheeky:

Yes, we want unedited, raw, behind the scenes from YANA. In 4D, HQ, dolby surround, 15360x8640 resolution. :wild:

^^:D Raw behind that loincloth scenes alright:rofl:

Who is going to put forward that request to Mr Branca?

If there is a HIStory documentary I hope they also talk about the first five songs from Blood On The Dance Floor. That album came out during that era, and it would be a crime to ignore those five songs. Blood On The Dance Floor sometimes gets dismissed as just being a remix album, but those first five songs are some of Michael's best work

We should send a petition to Branca asking for the release of that footage.

Now that would be a smash, a top earner ha!

I know better top seller.
I would skip behind the scenes/loincloths and pay a lot of money for visitation rights to Michael's vault that they mention every so often.
In my mind its something like this
images

filled from floor to top all sort of goodies:D

I've been craving behind the scenes of "you are not alone" for years. Please let it be history.

^^:D Raw behind that loincloth scenes alright:rofl:

Who is going to put forward that request to Mr Branca?

Eugh.... Made me think of that "peculiar" angle when hes lying down..... It looks.... Suspicious.....

Eugh.... Made me think of that "peculiar" angle when hes lying down..... It looks.... Suspicious.....

I have no doubt that Michael was completely naked under that cloth. I've seen close ups. Michael was bare.

As you can see MJJCommunity is not all fun and games. A lot of hard work and professionalism goes on around here

Last edited:
I really hope to see a movie about HIStory! In my opinion this is one of the most interesting points in MJ's personal and artistic life and there must be a lot of unseen footage of that time - MJ working in the studio, behind the scenes, rehearsals, Ghosts. Interviews with Spike, Lisa Marie, Janet, Swedien, Foster, Bottrell, Wayne Isham, Mark Romanek, etc.

So much to talk about! So much to see!

If there is a HIStory documentary I hope they also talk about the first five songs from Blood On The Dance Floor. That album came out during that era, and it would be a crime to ignore those five songs. Blood On The Dance Floor sometimes gets dismissed as just being a remix album, but those first five songs are some of Michael's best work

I'm sure they will be discussed. Just by reading the album title: HIStory in the Mix and the fact that MJ worked on it and that it was released during the HIStory Tour for which I'm sure will be discussed a lot because they have tons of footage and they'll try to promote it because they want to release it on blu-ray and in 3D.

Back