Prince vs Michael Jackson Film

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

So let's start a discussion about what we think about MJ and Prince, how they compare musically, culturally, dance, live performing etc. I really want to get to the bottom of this debate.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that I'm glad you posted this "film." I'm half way through watching it now-I really know "zip" about Prince, so this has been very interesting-as well as bringing back a lot of things that I had forgotten about or didn't realize I had seen/heard.

I really don't believe there is a debate to be had. Different strokes for different folks as Prince said. Some prefer MJ to Prince and some prefer Prince to MJ. Both were fantastic artists. Both very different lyrically. I've never been a fan of the comparisons myself.

You mentioning dance immediately has Prince doing splits come to my mind for some reason. He was fantastic at those in his high heels.

Last edited:
I'm going to bump this up because I think this film is really good-except for the last six or so minutes. Probably should be merged into the Michael vs. Prince thread. It's a good film for people (like me) who really don't know that much about Prince.

^Yeah, what he said about Prince being 'surrounded by white people' was way off.

... Im glad that despite I didnt know any black people until my teens that I was still able to identify with black music from a very very early age.

A great movie, very factual and good movie with no hint of one is better than the other.
Is it your work Psychoniff.

I take exception at your remarks about whites though. You make it sound like we are the enemy, not every white person is a Jim Crow card carrying Trump voting black hating racist. To me music is not Black or White. Yes some white people need to answer for the racism of the past from slavery and Jim Crow down to the lack of Black musical artist videos on MTV in 1981/82 and MJ being a "Soul act" relegation only in 1980.

A lot of white people like myself (Being part Polynesian does not make me black, Polynesians are Asian (Malay derived) people) also respect Prince and Michael's talent along with their ability to sing, dance and make amazing music. There is no crime committed if a Black artist makes a white sounding song or album. Also Prince may have called himself Black, but the Jim Crow racism of the time (When he was born) labelled anyone who was as little as 1/16 Black as entirely Black even if they were 15/16 White. I would say Prince is very mixed with his pale skin and in reality he is about the average coloruing of someone about 30 - 50% Black. The average Black American anyway as you know is 20 - 25% white because of racist white slave master raping slaves. As horrible as it sounds, we can not go back 200 years to stop this from happening.

I myself are trying to move away from cataegories and race. To me Prince and Michael Jackson were the same as me, you and everyone else, they were human beings, except these two were very talented and gifted ones who shared their unique musical gifts with the world!

A great movie, very factual and good movie with no hint of one is better than the other.

I take exception at your remarks about whites though. You make it sound like we are the enemy, not every white person is a Jim Crow card carrying Trump voting black hating racist. To me music is not Black or White. Yes some white people need to answer for the racism of the past from slavery and Jim Crow down to the lack of Black musical artist videos on MTV in 1981/82 and MJ being a "Soul act" relegation only in 1980.

A lot of white people like myself (Being part Polynesian does not make me black, Polynesians are Asian (Malay derived) people) also respect Prince and Michael's talent along with their ability to sing, dance and make amazing music. There is no crime committed if a Black artist makes a white sounding song or album. Also Prince may have called himself Black, but the Jim Crow racism of the time (When he was born) labelled anyone who was as little as 1/16 Black as entirely Black even if they were 15/16 White. I would say Prince is very mixed with his pale skin and in reality he is about the average coloruing of someone about 30 - 50% Black. The average Black American anyway as you know is 20 - 25% white because of racist white slave master raping slaves. As horrible as it sounds, we can not go back 200 years to stop this from happening.

I myself are trying to move away from cataegories and race. To me Prince and Michael Jackson were the same as me, you and everyone else, they were human beings, except these two were very talented and gifted ones who shared their unique musical gifts with the world!

Dont think it was Psychoniff based on his comments above, but its beyond me how race can come between someone and a good song. Whats even more above my head is thinking you can say it on a video you want loads of people to see and not expect a backlash.

MJ and Princes music was colourblind. Some people choose to see a colour when it suits them.

Dont think it was Psychoniff based on his comments above, but its beyond me how race can come between someone and a good song. Whats even more above my head is thinking you can say it on a video you want loads of people to see and not expect a backlash.

MJ and Princes music was colourblind. Some people choose to see a colour when it suits them.

All in all the problem isn't that we're all different, it's that some people think that being different is bad, or think that they're better then someone just because that someone is different then them.
I've never liked the colorblind approach.
Were all different, with different cultures and different experiences, and that's okay.
Difference is what makes the world beautiful. :)

But your right when it comes to music.
I do believe that music can be color blind. :)

Last edited:

NO WAY! I happen to come across it while trying to find what I could about the comparisons between to the two artists. I am very interested in their similarities and differences.

NO WAY! I happen to come across it while trying to find what I could about the comparisons between to the two artists. I am very interested in their similarities and differences.

Well sorry about then. I just get immune to all the white bashing on ome of these sites. Seriously not all of us are evil. We have nothing but repsect for people like Michael Jackson and Prince, not just because they were black, but because they were incredibly talented and wonderful human beings.

I stand corrected, withdraw and apologise, ready to eat some crow:(

I really liked the film except, as I said, that last six or so minutes about white people.
I think there's a difference between colorless and colorblind. You can be colorblind (not racist or prejudiced) and still embrace heritage and culture of your own people. I think just because you're liked by all races, ages, genders and therefore crossed over does not mean you have abandoned or "hate" your own culture.
I seem to see this a lot (or am more aware of it) and I took exception to that last bit. All white people aren't evil.

But other than that, the film was really good!

I think just because you're liked by all races, ages, genders and therefore crossed over does not mean you have abandoned or "hate" your own culture. I seem to see this a lot (or am more aware of it) and I took exception to that last bit. All white people aren't evil.
But other than that, the film was really good!

^^^^
This 100%

I hate when people try to say Michael was a self hater.
Michael loved his race.
There's this MJ fan forum on another website that I discovered through an MJ fan blog (the blog may have been RhythmOfTheTide I'm not sure) , and I wish I had never clicked that link.
Everyone on that website (save for a few MJ fans) do nothing but bash MJ on a daily basis.
The people on that website have some sort of weird obsession with MJ, and they love to say that he was a self hater (they harp on that constantly).
MJ's forum is just a small Part of the much larger website, and I think that one of the mods on that website may be an MJ hater, so Michael's forum is allowed to be trolled on a constant.

I stopped visiting that website because of all the MJ hate.

I really hope that website shuts down soon. :yes:

My opinion is, both are legends in their own right and have influenced just about every single artist we see today & have seen in the last 20-25 years. I'm more of a fan of Michael - always have been - so naturally I prefer MJ all the way. I'm not necessarily a fan of Prince but don't have to be a fan in order to acknowledge how influential & talented he is. And both were extremely talented. I've always disliked the debates/comparisons but even with both of them gone, it'll never stop so it is what it is. Both made a huge impact & left behind a legacy that'll last longer than any of these newbies' careers anyway.

Back