Who Is It - Fan favourite and underrated?

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
I really love the song and when i read top 10 lists of Michael's best songs by fans it's often included.

So Who Is It seems to be a favourite of many fans but Michael never performed it live (except for Oprah Interview).
Any ideas why or did he mentioned anything about what the song meant to him?

What are your thoughts about the song?
Do you think the song is underrated?

Slave To The Rhythm;4147134 said:
I really love the song and when i read top 10 lists of Michael's best songs by fans it's often included.

So Who Is It seems to be a favourite of many fans but Michael never performed it live (except for Oprah Interview).
Any ideas why or did he mentioned anything about what the song meant to him?

What are your thoughts about the song?
Do you think the song is underrated?

The song is not underrated at all by MJ’s fans.

I dare say that ‘Who Is It’ is regarded as the best track (from the ‘Dangerous’ album) by the majority of them.

Also, you should not forget that MJ’s vocal beat box (at Oprah’s interview) gained a phenomenal feedback from MJ’s fans/general audience. As a result of that, Sony decided to release ‘Who Is It’ as the next single (in the place of ‘Give In To Me’).

The song refers to adultery & it has a profound dismal feeling which personally I like a lot.

Finally, as far as I know, MJ never gave (publicly) an in-depth analysis about its theme.

Many fans say that Who Is It is the best song that MJ ever wrote and composed by himself. So, within the fan base, it's not underrated. It is very underrated within the general public though

I think it's a real cool song.. and I think fans lean towards it maybe more so than the general public is because we can appreciate him in those lower registers

One of my favourite songs. Not underrated by fans, many fans often call it one of their faves. It's just underrated by the general public. I think many people in the general public just don't know this song.

I love the song Who Is It. I also wonder why MJ did not do this live in his Dangerous Tours.

I think Who Is It is one of the most loved songs of Michael. The song is a masterpiece. The beat, the lyrics, his vocals... Everything!

It's a shame that the general public didn't like the song as the hardcore fans.

Its definitely one of my favorite tracks from the "Dangerous" album, along with "Keep the Faith" and the title track.

I've never cared for it like the majority of fans do. I often feel it's rather overrated by the fanbase.

*shrugs*

One of my favourite songs. Not underrated by fans, many fans often call it one of their faves. It's just underrated by the general public. I think many people in the general public just don't know this song.

That's true. 70% of MJ's work is overlooked and underrated

I love the song Who Is It. I also wonder why MJ did not do this live in his Dangerous Tours.

A live version of Who Is It would have been incredible! The closest thing we got is that Pepsi commercial :lol:

I am definitely one of that song's biggest fans, its one ofmy favourites off Dangerous. But Dangerous is such a good album, nearly every song on it is my favourite.

I loved the myseterious opening, MJ's vocals as they rise towards the choruses and the 2nd verses with its frenzied and strained vocals "I am injustice etc and "I pray this punishment would have mercy on me" - "Is it a friend of mine (Who is it) I can't this stuff no more - aow! heehee!" Great Michael stuff here and then there is the beat.

I do remember though when it was released as the 5th or 6th single off Dangerous and it did not do very well, reaching #18 on the chart in late 1992 and the lowest ranking of all his Dangerous singles. A lot of general music fans did not like it and guess all the true fans had the album by then, so were sickof constant releases. However we were proved wrong in early 1993, when the next single Give In to me was released and was a Top 5 single (#1 hit in New Zealand) and everyone loved the video and the Slash solo.

But yeah its a fan favourite and one of Michael's best ever songs.

One of my faves, too.

It is introvert "introspective", painful and haunting. The lyrics are brilliant - gah, everything is. And everytime that beautiful flute solo comes up, ... *swallows*. It is so simple, yet so mindblowing.

This song is my favorite song in Dangerous. Very Good song.

I love how vunerable his voice is in this song. It's like he's on the verge of breaking down and it feels so real and authentic.

It is def underrated! It is petty shocking to me that it was so underrated when it came out.. I mean think about it, at the time we did not hear Michael sing in that register much, the topic was of heart break and I thought as a well put together song.

Not underrated by the hardcore MJ fans. But underrated by casual fans and general public. I'm not sure they even know about this song.

Back when I was still listening to him. Who Is It was the only MJ I was really obsessed with. And it was also 1 of 7 songs I could spend eternity listening to. And I still won't be tired of it. I do think the song is underrated by the non MJ fans. But for the MJ fans not so much. At least I don't think it is. Who Is It is still to me the most greatest MJ song ever made.:wub::heart:

Back