The Home Video Prince Doesn't Want You to See

DirrtyDiana69

Proud Member
As much as I love Prince as an artist, I think he is being RIDICULOUS right now. It's not like they were actually showing any footage of him so what's the big deal? Come on Prince! This is just stupid.

A bouncing YouTube baby has be-bopped his way right into the legal cross-hairs of the pop star Prince, sparking a lawsuit that could test the boundaries of U.S. copyright law.

Holden Lenz, 18 months old, is the pajama-clad star of a 29-second home movie shot by his mother in the family's rural Pennsylvania kitchen and posted last February on the popular video site YouTube.

Twenty eight people, mostly friends and family, had viewed the YouTube video by June, when mom Stephanie Lenz said she received an e-mail from YouTube informing her that her video had been removed from the site at the request of Universal Music Publishing Group, the recording industry's largest label, and warning her that future copyright infringements on her part could force the Web site to cancel her account.

'Frightened, Then Angry'

"All of my [YouTube] videos are home videos, so I thought it was some kind of scam,'' Lenz told ABC News' Law & Justice Unit. When she realized YouTube had actually taken her video down, she said she was shocked.

"At first it frightened me, because I saw who had filed'' the takedown notice, she said.

"It was Universal Music Publishing Group, and I was afraid that ... they might come after me. ... And the more afraid I got, the angrier I got. ... I was afraid that the recording industry might come after me the way they've come after other people for downloading music or file sharing.

"I thought even though I didn't do anything wrong that they might want to file some kind of suit against me, take my house, come after me.

"And I didn't like feeling afraid,'' she continued. "I didn't like feeling that I could get in trouble for something as simple as posting a home video for my friends and family to see."

What Constitutes a Ripoff of an Artist's Work?

But Lenz was angry, and she said she wasn't ready to let it go.

She contacted a leading cyber rights legal organization called the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and filed a civil lawsuit against the music publisher, claiming they were abusing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by sending out reams of what are known in the industry as "take down notices" to Web sites like YouTube, claiming their artists' copyrights had been infringed upon -- when in fact, sometimes they may not have been at all.

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3777651&page=1 t=_blank]http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3777651&page=1[/url][/b]

i think i missed something, why is prince sueing exactly?

Prince and his former record company, Warner Bros., are suing this woman for unauthorized use of his recordings in the videotape of her baby dancing to 'Let's Get Crazy'. Prince has hired a UK firm to search the Internet for anyone using his recordings without his permission (read: without compensating him).

Now I love Prince, but he REALLY needs to get over it. He's risking a fan backlash over this, because as you know, many fans use artists music to make fan tribute videos. Further, the use of Prince's music in that video is incidental and clearly not for profit.

I'm glad that the family is countersuing because this shyt is going too far. And it's all in the name of pure greed.

Oh, thanks mello. Yeah, that's pretty lame. Prince needs to get over it, for real, he's coming across as a total snob now and someone who isn't interested in sharing his talent with the world but with only making a profit.

I agree and I think it is silly; however, if the man does not want his music used, keep it private and do not put it on Youtube if you put it on your family films.

he's getting sue happy now..honestly I just think he is not happy with his career so he's trying OTHER (sueing) ways to make money..

he can't find or make no more hits and he has way too much free time to go after people. you ain't gonna hear about earth,wind and fire going after that family that had there little girl singing there songs on youtube. i mean Prince is a Has Been and a desperate attention Ho Getter. dude needs to sue the Yes People in his camp who keep telling him those corny albums he has been out for 20 years are still good. that is who needs to get sued.

he can't find or make no more hits and he has way too much free time to go after people. you ain't gonna hear about earth,wind and fire going after that family that had there little girl singing there songs on youtube. i mean Prince is a Has Been and a desperate attention Ho Getter. dude needs to sue the Yes People in his camp who keep telling him those corny albums he has been out for 20 years are still good. that is who needs to get sued.[/b]

Pretty much.

what so the music was in the background?or did someone dub it over the video? in any case Prince is looking real snobby here like some people say. I love his music but damn all it was just a baby dancing to his music... he's pretty much attacking a fan of his which aint cool in my opinion.

I haven't got a clue what he thinks he's playing at? He's got rid of the downloads section so fans can't download performance footage, he's put his own moderator on 1 of the fansites so he can control what they say, he's got his management to get rid of photobucket accounts which contained photos of him which his fans just saved on there and now this? its so stupid, he's made more money from his last album compared to the 1 before that and he's made loads of money from the o2 concerts, if he still needs money why doesn't he release a dvd of the tour??

IMO hes like this as a result of the WB thing, so now hes like noones making money out of me and wants all the power over his stuff. I don't understand why he can't see it as a love for his music why people are using his music, but its not like they are profitting from it having it in the background of their youtube video. Pointless why doesn't he put that energy into more positive promotion for himself, i mean after the o2 concerts he's got a large no. of people in the palm of his hands

Oh, thanks mello. Yeah, that's pretty lame. Prince needs to get over it, for real, he's coming across as a total snob now and someone who isn't interested in sharing his talent with the world but with only making a profit.[/b]
he is a total snob.

I haven't got a clue what he thinks he's playing at? He's got rid of the downloads section so fans can't download performance footage, he's put his own moderator on 1 of the fansites so he can control what they say, he's got his management to get rid of photobucket accounts which contained photos of him which his fans just saved on there and now this? its so stupid, he's made more money from his last album compared to the 1 before that and he's made loads of money from the o2 concerts, if he still needs money why doesn't he release a dvd of the tour??

IMO hes like this as a result of the WB thing, so now hes like noones making money out of me and wants all the power over his stuff. I don't understand why he can't see it as a love for his music why people are using his music, but its not like they are profitting from it having it in the background of their youtube video. Pointless why doesn't he put that energy into more positive promotion for himself, i mean after the o2 concerts he's got a large no. of people in the palm of his hands[/b]

He did all that? He's got issues.

he can't find or make no more hits and he has way too much free time to go after people. you ain't gonna hear about earth,wind and fire going after that family that had there little girl singing there songs on youtube. i mean Prince is a Has Been and a desperate attention Ho Getter. dude needs to sue the Yes People in his camp who keep telling him those corny albums he has been out for 20 years are still good. that is who needs to get sued.[/b]

Well, many have said the very same about Michael :dropdead:

O.k, but are you sure it's Prince and not just Warner Bros.? From what I understand, they OWN Prince's past work, he no longer has govern over that music. This sounds, dare I say 'crazy!.' Hope it's not true.

If he's trying to control everything around him, he won't have any fans and people won't be able to learn more and reach more of his new music. You can't control and shut everyone out! You need an audience. I still don't understand how his marriage didn't hold out. This control thing is getting far beyond understanding.

Someone tell me this not really true?... :no:

i don't know why he would want to do it... i see it as great promotion.

I've bought albums and taken more interest in artist after i've heard them on youtube clips, tv shows, ads...

i mean Prince is a Has Been and a desperate attention Ho Getter.[/b]
Uhm, yeah... a "has been" who just sold out 21 O2 Arenas! I guess he has enough attention! :innocent:

After I had heard about that story on Good Morning America last week. Makes me glad I no longer like Prince. I think he is being a real idiot now of what he is doing any more. I am glad that the family is countersuing. I so hope they win too. If I was a big star like Prince is. I wouldn't even care about a home video made of someone's baby dancing to one of my songs on You Tube. I will just be happy that kid and his family likes my music enough to buy one of my albums and dance to it.

Prince's behaviour does appear to be a bit extreme. A good friend of mine used to be a big Prince but even he is getting a bit weary of Prince's attitude and actions.

YouTube is a wonderful vehicle for artists and Prince would be very stupid to scorn it.

BINGO!

It might be WB with the current case about that youtube clip. I hope it is and I hope they behind taking his videos and things off of youtube, that would explain it but I don't think they are to do with everything else thats going on with his management-like patrolling his fansites, getting rid of photobucket accounts getting rid of the download section- i mean yes they could be to blame for the download section but surely only the WB stuff would get taken down, not stuff that people have recorded on their phones at gigs.

Youtube is the first place I looked when I wanted to find out more about Prince and its the footage on there that made me want to check out his music for myself, when he gave away his new album with the newspaper in the uk 1 reason that was given was that he wanted to get more people interested in his music who normally wouldn't listen to his stuff. He's stopping that happening by getting rid of the footage on youtube if it is his decision to get all his stuff off there and not WB.

I'm hoping he'll release a dvd of his recent tour, I mean I want to see more!!

After I had heard about that story on Good Morning America last week. Makes me glad I no longer like Prince. I think he is being a real idiot now of what he is doing any more. I am glad that the family is countersuing. I so hope they win too. If I was a big star like Prince is. I wouldn't even care about a home video made of someone's baby dancing to one of my songs on You Tube. I will just be happy that kid and his family likes my music enough to buy one of my albums and dance to it.[/b]
Well, not to defend Prince, I too think he is going overboard with his whole "protecting his image", but I doubt that he one day personally checked out Youtube, saw that video and called up his lawyers to sue this family! His orders are more likely to go after any unauthorized use of his images and sounds, which is his damn right, whether we agree with it or not! And if the lawyers or company, who are in charge of fullfilling that task, don't have any common sense, then you have this outcome, which makes him look like an idiot!

IMO hes like this as a result of the WB thing, so now hes like noones making money out of me and wants all the power over his stuff. I don't understand why he can't see it as a love for his music why people are using his music, but its not like they are profitting from it having it in the background of their youtube video. Pointless why doesn't he put that energy into more positive promotion for himself, i mean after the o2 concerts he's got a large no. of people in the palm of his hands[/b]
He put a moderator on one of his fansites so he can control what they say? Is it HIS fansite? I mean, does he OWN it?

Gee. Sounds a bit paranoid to me.... :crazy

O.k, but are you sure it's Prince and not just Warner Bros.? From what I understand, they OWN Prince's past work, he no longer has govern over that music. This sounds, dare I say 'crazy!.' Hope it's not true.

If he's trying to control everything around him, he won't have any fans and people won't be able to learn more and reach more of his new music. You can't control and shut everyone out! You need an audience. I still don't understand how his marriage didn't hold out. This control thing is getting far beyond understanding.

Someone tell me this not really true?... :no:
[/b]
Yeah, it's both Prince and WB.

Unfortunately....

Back