November 15, 2007: Michael Jackson News & Mentionings

SunsetDriver

Proud Member
Happy Thursday and welcome on board to the latest MJJForumes who have resolved their registration's issues ^_^.

Btw...you should have notice the stats at the very bottom of the board:
Users active in the past 24 hours: 678 (292 members and 386 guests) :cool:
Thank you all for visiting us.

So, let's see the news for today:

MJ News

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/32531
Jackson 5 to reunite for tour in 2008? [Already being discussed in this thread]

Just one of them needs persuading...
7 hours ago

Rumours of a Jackson 5 reunion show for 2008 have been sparked by a concert promoter.

Leonard Rowe promoted Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall' tour the late 70s/early 80s.

He has now met with the Jacksons to discuss the possibility of a reunion tour in 2008.

Rowe told Access Atlanta: "His brothers are ready. Janet is ready. But the motor of that car that makes the car run, isn't just yet.

Rowe added: "In April of this year, I flew out to Las Vegas and met with them all and he told me, 'Let's look at '08.'

"We wanted to go this year, but (Michael) said it would take a lot of preparation. He didn't say no."

The last Jackson 5 studio album was 1989's '2300 Jackson Street'.

MJ Mentionings

http://www.independent.com/news/2007/nov/15/aphrodite-joness-book-exonerates-pop-star/
Michael Jackson Is Innocent
Aphrodite Jones’s Book Exonerates the Pop Star
Thursday, November 15, 2007
By Matt Kettmann (Contact)

Michael Jackson is 100 percent innocent, and his 2005 trial on charges of child molestation was an outrageously expensive witch hunt solely designed by then Santa Barbara County District Attorney Tom Sneddon to dethrone a successful black celebrity. Meanwhile, the mainstream media missed the true story, preferring instead to pronounce the pop star guilty on all counts in the court of public opinion. Everyone except Michael Jackson should be ashamed of themselves.

So believes author Aphrodite Jones, and her latest book, Michael Jackson Confidential, lays out her theories in a meticulously researched, blow-by-blow fashion. Taking readers inside the Santa Maria courtroom that captured the world’s attention for more than six months, the book recounts the testimony of crucial witnesses, paints the bizarre backdrop of nutty fans and international media hordes, and hammers home the “not guilty” verdict that a jury of Jackson’s peers delivered.

It’s a tale I already know far too well, having covered the trial for The Independent, TIME, and various national radio programs. I was even on the path to my own book deal, corresponding extensively with a prominent New York City agent and developing chapter outlines for a pitch that never popped. Like Michael Jackson Confidential, my book would have focused largely on the media circus surrounding the event, as I found myself intermingling with these professional train wreck-watchers whose heavily made-up faces, outlandish opinions, and no-holds-barred scoop-snagging strategies left me feeling ill as I drove home every day from Santa Maria.

And like Jones — who was forced to self-publish her book even though she has a slew of other best-selling true-crime titles under her belt — I quickly found that the publishers weren’t interested in anything on Jackson at all after the not-guilty verdict was announced. “I was told flat-out by numerous publishers and agents in New York that nobody wants a pro-Jackson book,” said Jones. “Can you believe that? It’s just weird that even what you read in a book is getting designated by someone making executive decisions about people’s lives and reputations. It’s not only weird, it’s actually scary.”

But unlike Jones, by the time the trial had ended, I thought Jackson was guilty. For me, the convincing factor was a video played by the prosecution in the trial’s 11th hour: footage of the accuser, then 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo, telling the cops for the first time that he’d been molested by Jackson. Oddly, it was this same video that convinced Jones of Jackson’s innocence.

“That video was the thing that convinced me completely,” she explained in a long and meandering phone conversation from her Long Island home two weeks ago. “I don’t believe he did anything to this Arvizo kid. I honest-to-god believe he didn’t do it. Watch the video again, and watch him get nervous at the wrong places and watch him study before he answers. He’s a very good little actor, but he was acting.”

Jones believes that the whole attempt to put Jackson behind bars was simply a pet “vendetta” of D.A. Sneddon, who retired at the end of 2006 after 23 years on the job. Jones said that Jackson’s attorney Thomas Mesereau, who penned the forward to Michael Jackson Confidential, had told Sneddon that the Arvizos were not reliable witnesses and that they’d been involved in other con games before — two facts that eventually swayed the jury. “But Sneddon didn’t care,” said Jones. “He just wanted his name in lights. He just wanted all the hoopla around him.”

Jones is also now claiming wherever she can that the retired D.A. is a racist in the good-ole-boy sense, pointing to a courtroom exchange in which one of the witnesses, black comedian Chris Tucker, asked to see a photograph of himself that was being used by the prosecution, and Sneddon replied, “If you’re a good boy.” I remember finding the moment a tad unsettling, but its ties to racism are debatable. (Sneddon did not respond to my request for a comment last week, and when I ran into him at the Taco Bell on Milpas many months ago, he seemed to be enjoying retired life and to have moved far beyond the 2005 trial.)

Complicating matters, while the trial was going on, Jones herself was a popular talking head on television, especially for the Fox News network. “I was one of the leaders of the pack,” she admitted. “We did as much as we could to make [Jackson] look bad. That’s what people wanted. To be quite honest, that’s what Fox wanted. They didn’t want any exculpatory information.”

This book is her apology, an attempt to set the record straight and reveal that the media were biased and remain broken. “It’s all about exposing what the media can do to someone with just an accusation,” Jones explained. “Anyone can come along with accusations or innuendo and, if the media decide to pick it up, it can snowball and ruin careers.” Though she never mentions specific journalists by name in her book — save for Martin Bashir, whose documentary on Jackson jump-started the investigation and made Bashir a witness — Jones has no love for many of her colleagues, explaining, “These people make their careers off Jackson’s blood.”

While her book is about the Jackson trial, Jones sees it as an indictment of the whole media system. “We have moved into a culture where it’s all about personalities and the Nancy Graces of the world who have an agenda. I don’t think that’s real news anymore,” she said. “We’re coming into a society and era that’s becoming so obsessed with celebrity that even the news organizations are caving in.” Jones hopes she’s a force in the other direction, toward truth and fairness — even though her opinionated book comes off as rather one-sided.

As for the pop star, Jones says “He hasn’t even recognized that the book exists.” But her book is a big hit with MJ fans all over the world, and is already being translated into a number of languages. She’s been doing book-signings since the book came out in June — much like the ones she’s doing with attorney Thomas Mesereau this weekend in Santa Barbara — and the book is starting to attract the attention of the legal community as well.

But Michael Jackson Confidential was never a money-making endeavor for Jones, who said, “It was more a labor of love and catharsis for me.” Hopefully it’s a cathartic reality check for the mainstream media as well.

4•1•1

Aphrodite Jones will discuss and sign copies of Michael Jackson Confidential on Saturday, noon-4 p.m., at the Barnes & Noble on State Street, and on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Borders in Goleta. Jackson’s defense attorney, Thomas Mesereau, will also be in attendance. For more on the book, see aphroditejones.com.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...n_fillnov14,1,582111.story?ctrack=1&cset=true
On 'Exclusive,' Chris Brown looks to deliver on the hype
By Regina Robertson | The Associated Press
November 14, 2007
[...]
Harris is not the only one with that opinion. Brown -- who sings with a high tenor and is a spectacularly gifted dancer -- was anointed "The Future of R&B" on his inaugural Vibe magazine cover in February 2006. No less than Michael Jackson has sung his praises, and Timberlake gushed about his talents after Brown's show-stopping performance at this year's MTV Video Music Awards.
[...]
However, he doesn't want to let the chase for No. 1 get the best of him. Though he admits he'd "like to reach the success of Michael Jackson, or higher," he also adds: "I don't try to live up to those names because you can lose focus of who you are as an artist. I just try to be me and continue with my success."
[...]
Brown, a native of Tappahannock, Va., got his record deal at 15 and has been singing professionally since he was 12. Michael Jackson was an early influence -- he remembers watching the King of Pop's videos, courtesy of his father.

"My dad recorded all those joints and let me watch them," he notes while mimicking the lyrics and choreography from The Jacksons' video for their 1980 hit, "Can You Feel It?"

Unlike Jackson, however, Brown doesn't feel like he was robbed of his kid years.

"I had my childhood," says Brown. "[Having a childhood] gives you morals and a sense of your own self without being mentally consumed by the industry."

Today in Michael Jackson's history

1992 - The first part of the five-hour TV mini-series "The Jacksons: An American Dream" was aired on ABC-TV.

Also remember to check Ebony's surprise thread for the last two audio parts from Michael's interview :cool:

I have been looking for the Ebony issue since Monday.. I finally found one issue (the last one in the store)...at a Barns and Noble .. across town.. I had to get the magazine guy involved because they were no copies on the stand... he had to go grab the last copy from the hands of a fellow employee so I could buy....

and I am right here in the USA.. in Miami...

hot off the press...and selling quickly....

I'm still waiting for my :censored: subscription! It pisses me off that I get my copy after it hits the stands. I don't know who to blame -- Ebony or my :censored: postal service! I suspect it's the :censored: postal service who holds the mag deliveries until late. I've been deliberately not reading much in the Ebony thread because I want SOME sort of surprise left! :p

HMM !!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny---I thought the title of M/s Jones book is--CONSPIRACY-- not Confidential, as they keep writing, in the story above.
Dawn

they played heal the world in never mind the buzzcocks today :lol;

I have been looking for the Ebony issue since Monday.. I finally found one issue (the last one in the store)...at a Barns and Noble .. across town.. I had to get the magazine guy involved because they were no copies on the stand... he had to go grab the last copy from the hands of a fellow employee so I could buy....

and I am right here in the USA.. in Miami...

hot off the press...and selling quickly....

Thanks forthe news, people!:)

Bolded part: Great to know. BTW, Rasta, have you checkout Walgreens or Rite Aid? Walmart? They have it. ;)

I got my issue the first Monday of this month on the newsstands in the Frankford Terminal in Philly. I was soooooo happy and it is nothing like having the issue in your hands and reading it, gushing about the pictures and just loving how smart MJ is! Wow! Just wanted to share that part.

I went grocery shopping this past weekend and the magazine was in almost every news stand. People saw it and were like, "Is that Michael Jackson?... Let me see that." I heard some lady say, "look at his lacefront....." LOL. Two of the local radio stations in Philly, 103.5 WDAS Classic Soul and R&B and 100.3 The Beat (Interactive Hip Hop and R&B) were telling the listeners to go out and get the latest issue of Ebony. My sister recieved a text from her good friend who is a big MJ fan telling her that his mother surprised him with the issue of Ebony. I mean, this is WONDERFUL! I wonder if all of this excitement will generate into record breaking sells of Ebony.

I'm still waiting for my :censored: subscription! It pisses me off that I get my copy after it hits the stands. I don't know who to blame -- Ebony or my :censored: postal service! I suspect it's the :censored: postal service who holds the mag deliveries until late. I've been deliberately not reading much in the Ebony thread because I want SOME sort of surprise left! :p

hahahaha! easy now....blood pressure might shoot up. not good for one's health:p

I got mine at CVS yesterday. It is a wonderful article and when you listen to the audio downloads it is so obvious how much he was enjoying talking and sharing his stories with those people, and how much they were enjoying him!

I predict record sales for Ebony on this issue.

It is great to have the news thread!!! I missed it.

I wasnt aware that Michael had an OTW tour. Hmm.

The article made for interesting reading.

CHRISTIES UPDATE - new auction :

16/11/2007 : VENTES AUX ENCHERES

d4996468x.jpg

Christies mettra en vente le 30 novembre au Rockfeller Plaza à New York un dessin réalisé par Michael Jackson.

Ce dessin représenterait "Elvis" et aurait été fait par Michael à une certaine époque alors qu'il attendait dans sa limousine.
Il a été réalisé au stylo-bille noir sur une feuille de papier jaune (dimensions : 20,3 x 25,4 cm) et est signé des initiales "MJ".

Son prix est estimé entre 400 et 600 $.

Sources : Christies / MJLegend

-------------------------------

Location New York, Rockefeller Plaza Sale Date Nov 30, 2007 Lot Number 0062 Sale Number 1912 Lot TitleMichael Jackson
Estimate400 - 600 U.S. dollars Lot DescriptionMichael Jackson
Elvis
initialled M.J., sketch in black ballpoint pen on a sheet of yellow legal paper. 8 x 11 in. (20.3 x 25.4 cm.)
Lot NotesThis drawing was apparently executed by Jackson while he patiently waited for a limousine to pick him up

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lfsearch_coa/LotDescription.aspx?intObjectId=4996468

Last edited:
CHRISTIES UPDATE - new auction :

16/11/2007 : VENTES AUX ENCHERES

d4996468x.jpg

Location New York, Rockefeller Plaza Sale Date Nov 30, 2007 Lot Number 0062 Sale Number 1912 Lot TitleMichael Jackson
Estimate400 - 600 U.S. dollars Lot DescriptionMichael Jackson
Elvis
initialled M.J., sketch in black ballpoint pen on a sheet of yellow legal paper. 8 x 11 in. (20.3 x 25.4 cm.)
Lot NotesThis drawing was apparently executed by Jackson while he patiently waited for a limousine to pick him up

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lfsearch_coa/LotDescription.aspx?intObjectId=4996468

oooooooohhhh :p mikey sure knows how to make great drawings:D

It is a wonderful feeling to be back home here in Michael Jackson world..lol Thanks to you all for making it possible! Thanks for the news.

I'm on my way out to get the Ebony Magazine now.:D

Back