December 4th, 2007 Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

L.J

Proud Member
Hi Hi!

In today's news:

According to some folks Janet is "baulking" or avoiding the Jackson's reunion tour talks... which now speak of a 40 city tour :mellow:

The New York Post's Page Six reports that every member of the ultimate showbiz family - including Michael Jackson - has signed on for the 40-city world tour except Janet.

A source told Page Six that she may join her family for a few shows, but her finance, music producer Jermaine Dupri wants her back in the studio to record a new album.

http://cbs4.com/entertainment/Janet.Jackson.Michael.2.601324.html

Similar stories are being printed by most news groups now :lol:

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been announced as the halftime entertainment at the 2008 Superbowl, set to take place February 3.

The legendary rocker joins the list of past performers at the annual event that include the Rolling Stones, U2, Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder.

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1989 - Michael Jackson's single "Thriller" was certified Gold and Platinum.

1995 - Michael Jackson appeared with legendary mime Marcel Marceau at New York news conference promoting a Jackson special airing on HBO.

1999 - Michael Jackson's interview with TV Guide was released.

2002 - Michael Jackson appeared in court fifth day concerning Jackson not performing at two millennium concerts planned for December 31, 1999. Jackson was using a crutch and claimed his foot was swolen from a spider bite.

2004 - Police went to Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch and asked him to submit a DNA sample. The sample was requested in connection to the child-molestation case against Jackson. The previous day police had raided the property a second time in search of evidence in the same case.

Tnx 4 the news.
Where is supposed this tour to take place?Only in USA?

Found this article on KOP board; I thought it was such a wonderful read. This article really takes me back in time!

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur39005.cfm

STEVEN IVORY: Thriller

(December 4, 2007)

*The other day I wandered into the electronics section of a department store and found several people gazing at a screen full of Michael Jackson's iconic "Motown 25" "Billie Jean" performance in HD and whatever else TVs are supposed to do today.

An eager young salesman sauntered over and made his pitch. "To see that any clearer," he quipped with the authoritative smarm of a merchant hawking snake oil, "you'd have to have BEEN there." He followed that with a wicked snicker, as if being there was an impossibility.

I chose not to ruin my man's pitch by telling him that indeed I was there, but I was.

On the evening of March 25, 1983, I drove to the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in an economy car and an ill-fitting tux, both rented, for the taping of NBC's Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever. What the tape of Jackson's performance (lip-synched, which is ironic considering his prowess at singing live while dancing) fails to accurately capture is just what was going on the audience: Sheer bedlam.

What seems routine now, was spellbinding then; we'd never seen this Michael Jackson. Even his brothers, after they'd performed a reunion medley with him, were seeing it for the first time from the wings. Michael, goes the story, put his act together the day before.

If you were a Jackson fan, you were glad he was back. If you were a Jackson fan and Black, you were awash in a wave of cultural pride that transcended mere pop music to fasten itself onto American history outright.

To be sure, the five minutes Jackson was onstage alone somehow elevated the whole race--certainly the Pasadena Civic, where, after Jackson left the stage, the show had to be halted so that entire production and building could regain its composure; so that men in the audience could straighten their ties and women could adjust their wigs.

It was as if Jackson had dropped a bomb on the place, walked away and left us there to negotiate the soulful fallout. "Ladies and gentlemen," pleaded a stern, amplified male voice, "please take your seats, we have more show to be taped. PLEASE…." Folk dabbed water from their eyes, hugged one another and high-fived strangers. Performance? We'd just witnessed a coronation. Soon, order prevailed. We politely watched the rest of the show, our collective consciousness stuck on Jackson.

Michael has said that, initially, after leaving the stage, he was disappointed with his performance. His plan, when he went up on his toes, was to simply stay there, suspended infinitely. Just as well that he didn't; the house could not have handled it. As it was, they went nuts when he showed up at the after party, held at an indoor shopping mall across the street that Motown shut down and converted into a massive disco.

As his security team wedged him through the crush of excited well-wishers, Tops, Tempts, Supremes and others pushed their way toward Jackson as if they themselves weren't legends, as if they hadn't made music that influenced and inspired this man. Chaos ensued. It was all Jackson's bodyguards could do to turn him around and push him back out to his limo out front.

Those of us lucky enough to attend the taping had to wait weeks for the show to air. Would Jackson's performance be all that we'd raved to anyone who'd listen? Yes, even to the Jacksons. Rebbie Jackson told me when the show aired, they, like other viewers across America, taped it off the TV. The next day, friends, entertainers and assorted dignitaries, acknowledging that the universe had indeed tilted, phoned, sent flowers and wired kudos. "People came by Hayvenhurst (the Jackson home in Encino) all day long," she said. "It was as if someone got married or brought a baby home from the hospital. We played that tape over and over all day until it broke."

And the day after "Motown 25" aired, all retail hell broke loose. At the height of its phenomenal sales history, the album was nationally selling half a million copies a week. With more than one million copies sold in Los Angeles alone, "Thriller" demanded its own zip code. Years later, Quincy Jones confided to me that at some point it all began to frighten him.

"First I prayed it would sell, and then I wanted it to STOP selling," he said. "It was getting too big. I was afraid it would eclipse my entire career and be the only thing people remembered." Because of this, Jones said he suffered what amounted to a minor nervous breakdown, leaving Jackson and engineer Bruce Swedien to begin "Bad" while he recovered in the tropics. No disrespect Q, but I'd like a shot at that kind of breakdown.

It's been twenty-five years since "Thriller" was released, on December 1, 1982. With 104 million copies sold worldwide and counting, it is, of course, the biggest selling recording of all time. I wish Jackson had made better, more musically adventurous recordings post "Thriller," but it doesn't matter now.

Today, the music industry today exists in two historical periods--before "Thriller" and after it. With "Thriller," Michael Jackson changed the game. Considering how indispensable hip hop and likewise themed programming is to MTV and its subsidiaries today, it's hard to imagine that before "Thriller," the music channel refused to play the videos of black artists, including "Billie Jean." It relented only after Jackson's label, CBS Records (now Sony) threatened to pull the clips of its white acts if "Billie Jean" wasn't given a shot. That Jackson would go on to redefine the music video medium altogether was sweet redress.

People talk about Michael Jackson making a comeback. Come back and do what--levitate? Comebacks are for mortals. You don't comeback after being Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson just is. He is his own global culture, his own musical manifestation. Come back and do what? He's done it all. The Michael Jackson of "Thriller" is forever etched in time, for all time. Now, he's just Michael Jackson.

Besides, Michael never left. He simply morphed into his own genre, as evidenced by the images a kid flicked through on another space age looking TV in the electronic section. On one channel there was Usher; on another, Chris Brown; on yet another, Justin Timberlake and look, there's the omnipresent Britney. None of them are half as thrilling as MJ, though they all look good in HD.

Fantastic! Brilliant!! Absolutely loved it! Thank you sooooooooooo much for posting this.

Nice article, but his little comment about Michael's post "Thriller" work is bullsh*t. What about "Bad" and "History"? The songs on those records are more adventorous then anything on "Thirller", less commercial. Oh well. He'll never get the kind of respect he deserves for his other work. I guess I just have to accept that. I like it, that's all that matters to me.

Good point he made though about all the acts today. The entire scene today was shaped by Michael. Unfortunately, I feel it has lowered the standard of what we consider talent. That's not Michael's fault. His own talent is so huge, it forced the rest of the world to follow. But Michael is unique in that his talent in all these area's is world class. Its not being a jack of all trades, its being a master. How rare is that? Today you see so many acts developed who, rather then having total command over one diciplin, they display average talent in many. And its all so they can keep up and mimick what Michael has always done. They don't do what Michael does, they imitate. They are only a hollow shell of what, in essence, Michael Jackson is.

Nice article, but his little comment about Michael's post "Thriller" work is bullsh*t. What about "Bad" and "History"? The songs on those records are more adventorous then anything on "Thirller", less commercial. Oh well. He'll never get the kind of respect he deserves for his other work. I guess I just have to accept that. I like it, that's all that matters to me.

Good point he made though about all the acts today. The entire scene today was shaped by Michael. Unfortunately, I feel it has lowered the standard of what we consider talent. That's not Michael's fault. His own talent is so huge, it forced the rest of the world to follow. But Michael is unique in that his talent in all these area's is world class. Its not being a jack of all trades, its being a master. How rare is that? Today you see so many acts developed who, rather then having total command over one diciplin, they display average talent in many. And its all so they can keep up and mimick what Michael has always done. They don't do what Michael does, they imitate. They are only a hollow shell of what, in essence, Michael Jackson is.
WBSS-didn't you read that Michael Jackson is a genre (lol)? Mike was right when he said today's acts are not being creative enough. Today's acts just want to make a dollar; I don't think they care about being innovative. I also agree with your post Thriller post. Of course, this is what they're going to measure Mike by for life--no matter what he comes up with.

WBSS-didn't you read that Michael Jackson is a genre (lol)? Mike was right when he said today's acts are not being creative enough. Today's acts just want to make a dollar; I don't think they care about being innovative. I also agree with your post Thriller post. Of course, this is what they're going to measure Mike by for life--no matter what he comes up with.

if any of the other albums had out-sold Thriller then.. it would be another argrument as to what album he is measured by...in my opinion...

per Sony's ex-CEO.. Thriller made Sony over $1bil.. so if those other albums (no matter how great they are).. matched that.. then..Thriller wouldn't have such focus

Thriller made alot of folks.. alot of money.. and was innovation of so many things in the industry..

at the end of the day.. Michael is getting his just due about his artisty.. so isn't that really what matters???

Last edited:
http://www.thecheers.org/news/Celeb...on-has-gone-green-to-help-save-the-earth.html

Michael Jackson has gone green to help save the earth

trans.gif

2007-12-04 11:45:29 The eccentric star - who frequently charters private planes and has been accused of having a large carbon footprint - has splashed out around $20,000 on an environmentally-friendly Toyota Prius car.

Michael, 49, was seen leaving Beverly Hills' Sharper Image electrical shop before climbing into the back seat of his super-green vehicle with his driver on Friday (30.11.07).

The Prius - which is powered by electricity and petrol - has emerged as Hollywood's hybrid car of choice.

You go Mike, what with articles as afore, 'Thriller itself and Hybrid cars it don't come much better than that. Theres not another man walking the planet that can go shopping and end up in newspapers around the world.
Shove that haters.

The Week in review

Day 94: What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man -

Sony ATV
who said Michael doesn't appreciate Hip/Hop...
resize_image.php

New SAMP Worldwide Signing - The Game
Oct 15, 2007

resize_image.php

We are pleased to announce the signing of a worldwide co-publishing agreement with Jayceon Taylor p/k/a The Game d/b/a Baby Game Music.

The Game is one of the most recognizable figures in popular music today. The Los Angeles rapper has single handedly resurrected the West Coast hip hop scene. His debut album "The Documentary" released in 2005 via Dr. Dre's Aftermath Entertainment sold over 2 million units and earned him 2 Grammy Nominations. His second album "Doctor's Advocate" has sold over 1.5 million records worldwide to date. The Game is the only West Coast solo artist to release a multi-platinum album since Dr. Dre's 2001 album which was released in late 1999. The Game is currently wrapping up a worldwide tour that has been instrumental in building an international fan base. He will begin to record his 3rd studio album in the next month, and it is expected to be released in the 4th quarter of 2007.

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/articles/319

as the Christmas season starts.. just keep saying Chaching$$...
SONY/ATV’s CHRISTMAS SONGS

Here’s a timely list of over 30 Christmas songs drawn from the various catalogs in the Sony/ATV family.

Among the standout favorites is SILVER BELLS which Jay Livingston & Ray Evans wrote for the 1951 Paramount movie “The Lemon Drop Kid”. The two stars of the picture: Bob Hope (above left) and Marilyn Maxwell sang the song as they wandered along the wintry streets of New York.

“Silver Bells, Silver Bells, It’s Christmas time in the city.
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring. Soon it will be Christmas Day”.

Bing Crosby (above right) had the first hit version of SILVER BELLS which he recorded as a duet with actress/singer Carol Richards.

Following is a breakdown of just some of Sony/ATV’s seasonal favorites…

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS DEAR IS YOU (Buck Owens/Don Rich)
By Buck Owens & His Buckaroos (Capitol: 1967)
Other versions incl: Travis Tritt (Warner Bros)

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU (Walter Afanasieff/Mariah Carey)
“I just want you for my own, More than you could ever know,
Make my wish come true, All I Want For Christmas Is You”
By Mariah Carey (Columbia/Sony BMG: 1994) US #12 Airplay

ALL MY LOVE FOR CHRISTMAS (Billy Lawson/Walter Wilson)
By Lonestar (RCA/Sony BMG: 1999) US #61 Country

CHRISTMAS EVE (Maria Christensen/Curt Frasca)
By Celine Dion (550 Music/Epic/Sony BMG: 1998)

CHRISTMAS IN DIXIE (Teddy Gentry/Jeff Cook/Randy Owen/Mark Herndon)
By Alabama (RCA/Sony BMG: 1983) US #35 Country
Other versions incl. Kenny Chesney (BNA)

CHRISTMAS PRAYER (Mary Jo Rush)
By Roy Rogers & Dale Evans (Capitol/EMI: 1967)

THE CHRISTMAS SONG (MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU) Aka THE CHRISTMAS SONG (CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON AN OPEN FIRE)(Robert Wells/Mel Torme)
By Nat King Cole with The King Cole Trio (Capitol/EMI: 1946) US #3 Pop, #3 R&B
(Nat Cole re-recorded this song twice for Capitol: with Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra in 1953 and with Ralph Carmichael conducting in 1961).
By Les Brown & His Orchestra w/vocal by Doris Day (Columbia/Sony BMG: 1947) US #12 Pop
By Alexander O’Neal (Tabu: 1998) UK #30
By Toni Braxton (LaFace/Sony BMG: 1993) US #57 R&B Airplay
By Christina Aguilera (RCA/Sony BMG: 1999) US #18 Pop
Other versions incl: Frank Sinatra (Capitol), Johnny Mathis (Columbia), James Brown (King), Peggy Lee (Capitol), Mel Torme (Telarc), Natalie Cole (Elektra), Aaron Neville (A&M), Tony Bennett (Columbia), The Carpenters (A&M), Dexter Gordon, Celine Dion (Epic), The Jackson 5 (Motown)

A CRADLE IN BETHLEHEM (Larry Stock/Alfred Bryan)
By Nat King Cole (Capitol/EMI: 1960)

DEAREST SANTA (Bonnie Dunn/Michael Dunn)
By Bobby Vinton (Epic/Sony BMG: 1964)

DON’T SAVE IT ALL FOR CHRISTMAS DAY (Ric Wake/Peter Zizzo/Celine Dion)
“Don’t Save It All For Christmas Day, Find your way
‘Cause holidays have come and gone, But love lives on”
Other Versions include: Celine Dion (550 Music/Epic), Avalon (Sparrow), Clay Aiken (RCA)

EARLY CHRISTMAS MORNING (Cyndi Lauper/Jan Pulsford)
“Listen to the children sing,
Watch them dancing all ‘round the Christmas tree,
Waiting for the opening, Early Christmas Morning”
By Cyndi Lauper (Epic/Sony BMG: 1998)

8 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS (Beyonce Knowles/Errol McCalla)
“Doesn’t if feel like Christmas, it feels lovely”
By Destiny’s Child (Music World: 2002) US #57 R&B

FATHER CHRISTMAS (Ray Davies)
“Father Christmas, give us some money,
Don’t mess around with those silly toys”
By The Kinks (Arista/Sony BMG: 1976)

HONKY TONK CHRISTMAS (Kim Williams/William Brock/Zack Turner)
“It’s gonna be a Honky Tonk Christmas,
Them silent nights at home were killing me”
By Alan Jackson (Arista/Sony BMG: 1994) US #53 Country

IF WE MAKE IT THROUGH DECEMBER (Merle Haggard)
“If We Make It Through December,
Everything’s gonna be alright I know.
It’s the coldest time of winter,
And I shiver when I see the fallin’ snow”
By Merle Haggard (Capitol/EMI: 1973) US #1 Country, #28 Pop
Other versions incl: Alan Jackson (Arista Nashville)

IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN (Nick Lachey/Jessica Simpson/Billy Mann/Chris Rojas)
By Jessica Simpson (Columbia/Sony BMG: 2004)

MAYBE THIS CHRISTMAS (Ron Sexsmith)
“Maybe This Christmas will mean something more.
Maybe this year love will appear deeper than ever before”
By Ron Sexsmith (Nettwerk America: 2002)

MISS YOU MOST (AT CHRISTMAS TIME) (Walter Afanasieff/Mariah Carey)
“And I can’t get you, get you off my mind,
Every other season comes along and I’m alright,
But then I Miss You Most At Christmas Time”
By Mariah Carey (Columbia/Sony BMG: 1994)

PRETTY PAPER (Willie Nelson)
“Pretty Paper, pretty ribbons of blue,
Wrap your presents to your darling fron you”
By Roy Orbison (Monument/Sony BMG: 1963) US #15 Pop, UK #6 (in ’64)
By Kenny Chesney with Willie Nelson (BNA/Sony BMG: 2004) US #45 Country

RIVER (Joni Mitchell)
“Oh I wish I had a river I could skate away on,
Oh I wish I had a river so long, I would teach my feet to fly”
By Joni Mitchell (Reprise/WMG: 1971)
Other versions incl: Linda Ronstadt (Elektra), Barry Manilow (Columbia), James Taylor (Columbia), Sarah McLachlan (Arista)

SANTA CLAUS IS BACK IN TOWN (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
“Oh it’s Christmas time pretty baby,
And the snow is falling on the ground,
Well you be a real good little baby,
Santa Claus Is Back In Town”
By Elvis Presley (RCA/Sony BMG: 1957)

SANTA CLAUS IS WATCHING YOU (Ray Stevens)
By Ray Stevens (MCA/Universal: 1985)

SANTA LOOKED A LOT LIKE DADDY (Buck Owens/Don Rich)
By Buck Owens (Capitol/EMI: 1970)
By Garth Brooks (Liberty: 1998) US #56 Country
Other versions incl: Brad Paisley (Arista Nashville), The Tractors (Arista)

SILVER BELLS (Jay Livingston/Ray Evans)
“City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, Dressed in holiday style,
In the air there's a feeling of Christmas”
By Bing Crosby & Carol Richards (Decca/Universal: 1953) US #20 Pop
By A Few Good Men (LaFace/Sony BMG: 1993) US #58 R&B Airplay
By Kenny Chesney (BNA/Sony BMG: 2004) US #54 Country
Other versions incl: The Supremes (Motown), Andy Williams (Columbia),
The Judds (RCA), Stevie Wonder (Tamla), Anne Murray (Capitol), Dean Martin (Reprise), Kenny Rogers (Reprise), Perry Como (RCA), Elvis Presley (RCA), Alan Jackson (Arista Nashville), Dave Koz (Capitol)

SENDING YOU A LITTLE CHRISTMAS (Jim Brickman/Victoria Shaw/Billy Mann)
“So I’m Sending You A Little Christmas,
Wrapped up with love”
By Jim Brickman with Kristy Starling (RCA/Sony BMG: 2000)

SPREAD A LITTLE LOVE ON CHRISTMAS DAY (Bernard Edwards/Beyoncé Knowles)
“Having me a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad
And having me a Merry Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah”
By Destiny’s Child (Columbia/Sony BMG: 2000)

TAKIN’ CARE OF CHRISTMAS (Randy Bachman)
Based on Randy’s 1974 hit “Takin’ Care Of Business”
By The Randy Bachman Band

THAT CHRISTMAS FEELING (Johnny Burke/Jimmy Van Heusen)
“So here’s to the joy of Christmas,
Here’s to the ones I hold dear.
May you have That merry Christmas Feeling,
All through a happy new year”
By Bing Crosby (Decca/Universal: 1950)

THIS IS CHRISTMAS (Luther Vandross/Reed Vertelney)
This Is Christmas, let the world sing, let a soul begin to heal,
Hallelujah, this is Christmas And with love we can begin today”
By Luther Vandross (Epic/Sony BMG: 1995)

WHY COULDN’T IT BE CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY (Walter Afanasieff/Jay Landers)
By Bianca Ryan (Sony: 2006)

WOMBLING MERRY CHRISTMAS (Mike Batt)
By The Wombles (UK CBS/Sony BMG: 1974) UK #2

YOU MAKE IT FEEL LIKE CHRISTMAS (Neil Diamond)
“You Make It Feel Like Christmas Even when things go wrong,
I hear the sound of Christmas in your song…all year long”
By Neil Diamond (Columbia/Sony BMG: 1984)

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/articles/306

Last edited:

I have heard that, lol. It is about making money. Michael set the bar so high that it had to be purposfully lowered just so people could compete.

Rasta is right about it being the sales of "Thriller" which make it the focus. If it had been "Bad" or "Dangerous" or "History", that would be the album everyone talks about. What pisses me off is that those albums don't get looked at from an artistic intergirty stand point, they just get looked at from a sales standpoint, and in the process, you have people like Ivory who corolate that with lack of creativity or good musicality, he thinks he's judging it artistically, but he's not. "Bad" lacked creativity? With songs like "Liberian Girl", "Bad", Speed Demon", "Smooth Criminal", "Leave Me Alone" and "Dirty Diana", I don't think so. The songs on "Bad", "Dangerous" and "History" are more unique in sound then anything on "Thriller", except for maybe "Billie Jean", the music is more complex and in a lot of instances more melodic. The writing is better too, and the subject matters more concsious and less commercial. But the work gets overshadowed, because of the sales, and then people say without Quincy the music lacks good production, blah, blah. But the songs themselves, what Michael's composed, are, imo, more brilliant and more innovative then the songs from "Off The Wall' or "Thriller".

Last edited:
I have heard that, lol. It is about making money. Michael set the bar so high that it had to be purposfully lowered just so people could compete.

Rasta is right about it being the sales of "Thriller" which make it the focus. If it had been "Bad" or "Dangerous" or "History", that would be the album everyone talks about. What pisses me off is that those albums don't get looked at from an artistic intergirty stand point, they just get looked at from a sales standpoint, and in the process, you have people like Ivory who corolate that with lack of creativity or good musicality. The songs on "Bad", "Dangerous" and "History" are more unique in sound then anything on "Thriller", except for maybe "Billie Jean", the music is more complex and in a lot of instances more melodic. The writing is better too, and the subject matters more concsious and less commercial. But the work gets overshadowed, because of the sales, and then people say without Quincy the music lacks good production, blah, blah. But the songs themselves, what Michael's composed, are, imo, more brilliant and more innovative then the songs from "Off The Wall' or "Thriller".

WBSS.. you are right.. Michael was deep on those latter albums.. especially history..

in all honesty..in my opinion.. the media knows his talents on other albums.. I can't see them giving him that much credit for his talents.. if it was just measured off the 4songs he wrote for Thriller...

they know....

that induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.. is not just based on those 4 songs from Thriller....

they know...

Last edited:
Yeah, they probably do, but they conviently leave it out of the picture. Oh well. They're lose if they don't see.

I know. I can't believe that the paps just happen to be right there when he was. I think someone in the store alerted them and by the time Mike was finished shopping, they were there to catch the pics.

Here's a short quote from F1 racer Lewis Hamilton, from the London Times:

A few days ago, Hamilton took a call from one of his three all- time heroes: Nelson Mandela. "He asked if I would come to Johannesburg for the World Aids Day concert," he said. "I was gutted. Really gutted. If I had tried to contact Nelson Mandela a year ago I'm sure I would have been shot. I am so disappointed. [...] He is an old man now and I'd hate to think that I will not get to meet him again, especially when I had an opportunity like this," Hamilton said, visibly upset by having had to make such a sacrifice. "Mandela is not my only idol. I would probably pass out if I met Muhammad Ali. He and Michael Jackson are the only mega-stars in the world for me."

And another from Ugandan musician Ragga Dee (from All Africa):

At this point Ragga Dee is slowly beginning to sound like a person that has reached self-actualisation in his musical career. So, has he? He is visibly surprised at the question, and leans back: "Self-actualisation? Nooo! Just in my good times.

Highest point means Michael Jackson or something like that. Show me one single Ugandan that has achieved just a quarter of MJ's success. You don't achieve highest point by proclaiming it in The New Vision," he bursts into laughter.

Rasta is right about it being the sales of "Thriller" which make it the focus. If it had been "Bad" or "Dangerous" or "History", that would be the album everyone talks about. What pisses me off is that those albums don't get looked at from an artistic intergirty stand point, they just get looked at from a sales standpoint, and in the process, you have people like Ivory who corolate that with lack of creativity or good musicality, he thinks he's judging it artistically, but he's not. "Bad" lacked creativity? With songs like "Liberian Girl", "Bad", Speed Demon", "Smooth Criminal", "Leave Me Alone" and "Dirty Diana", I don't think so. The songs on "Bad", "Dangerous" and "History" are more unique in sound then anything on "Thriller", except for maybe "Billie Jean", the music is more complex and in a lot of instances more melodic. The writing is better too, and the subject matters more concsious and less commercial. But the work gets overshadowed, because of the sales, and then people say without Quincy the music lacks good production, blah, blah. But the songs themselves, what Michael's composed, are, imo, more brilliant and more innovative then the songs from "Off The Wall' or "Thriller".

I totally agree!

Props to Steven Ivory and he has been close to the jackson camp for 30 years. He nailed alot of things. that night back then was Magical and the Greatest Musical Night that i have ever seen. timeless and thanks for the news.

I wonder how well this re-release is gonna sell? Do yall think it will do about 3 mil? If it does, it will surpass The Eagles finally.

I think someone in the store alerted them and by the time Mike was finished shopping, they were there to catch the pics.

I agree. I truly believe most, if not all, of the stores in Cali probably have the paps on speed dial. LOL!

The Sharper Image got so much FREE publicity because of Michael's little visit and look how fast "MOIST" (the store MJ was shopping in a few weeks ago) sold their closed circuit footage to TMZ.

The celeb doesn't have to place the call anymore, the store will call the paps themselves. LOL!

U.S. sales does not matter.. According to guiness THRILLER sold 55 million in U.S. and 104 worldwide.

I absolutely LOVE this article by Steven Ivory!

This man has just said everything that needed to be said about Thriller and the impact that is Michael Jackson! Yeah, people talk about 'the comeback' but I agree with Mr. Ivory's statement, 'comeback and do what?'.....the man has doen it all....all he needs to do know is just simply be Michael Jackson!

I bet ya Michael doesn't think he's done it all, lol. Remember how he's always saying you can never think that there's nothing left to be done, he means it.

Back