December 8, 2007: Michael Jackson News & Mentionings

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Hello to all! :) I am doing Saturday's thread a little early because I might not be avaliable in the morning. Please contribute any news or mentionings throughout the day.

As of right now there is no new news to report but a few mentionings.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.dchieftain.com/news/76341-12-08-07.html

Hancock served as executive producer, original story writer, screenplay writer — as well as providing the audio mastering for sound track and the still photography and digital art. It was directed by Larry Blumenthal, who is known for his work on the "Fame" musical series, major motion pictures, filming with Michael Jackson, and too many others to list.

http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/12/8/columnists/stateside/19688915&sec=State%20Side

Seeking blessings from the stars

T'S the place where stars are born and legends are made. Since 1914, it had been the platform for African-American artistes, who include such superstars as James Brown, Billie Holiday, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2007/12/fall-out-boy-ne.html

Fall Out Boy, Ne-Yo lead post-Grammy nom party

The English pop singer, who was introduced by Lauren Conrad from "The Hills," sounded right at home in SoCal, as her airy tunes were the kind of easygoing fare that's well-suited for an open air shopping mall, or perhaps I was just swayed by the plethora of free cosmetic merch being handed out.
Sets were brief -- three or four songs each -- and Ne-Yo (below) performed with a four-piece band and two keyboards. He brought out some vintage Michael Jackson dance moves to accompany his Jackson-inspired sound.

http://blackstarnews.com/?c=127&a=3968

From Baghdad With Love

Gina’s Favorite Entertainers: Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler, Phil Collins and Madonna.”

Last edited:
thrillercover1.jpg

December 07, 2007 @ 4:01 pm

Michael Jackson's Thriller: 25th Anniversary Commemorative Cover

by: Ms. JSHEP

New M-Jack re-release of Thriller includes remixes by Akon, will.i.am, Kanye West and Fergie, plus bonus DVD.

thrilla.jpg

As news of the Jackson 5 reunion surfaces, so the 25th anniversary of Thriller, probably the most iconic American album of the past 40 years, commences. And, of course, there would be no anniversary without a behind-the-scenes DVD and "outtakes." So when Thriller drops next February, not only will you pour some out for the homie Vincent Price, you will be able to hear new and previously unreleased bonus tracks, watch a film of M-Jack's breakout performance from "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever," and cop remixes by will.i.am, Kanye, Akon and... Fergie? Who knew she knew her way around a mixing board? At any rate - here's the cover, all freaky and eeky and iconic and classic.

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2007/12/michael_jackson_cover/

thrillercover1.jpg

December 07, 2007 @ 4:01 pm

Michael Jackson's Thriller: 25th Anniversary Commemorative Cover

by: Ms. JSHEP

New M-Jack re-release of Thriller includes remixes by Akon, will.i.am, Kanye West and Fergie, plus bonus DVD.

thrilla.jpg

As news of the Jackson 5 reunion surfaces, so the 25th anniversary of Thriller, probably the most iconic American album of the past 40 years, commences. And, of course, there would be no anniversary without a behind-the-scenes DVD and "outtakes." So when Thriller drops next February, not only will you pour some out for the homie Vincent Price, you will be able to hear new and previously unreleased bonus tracks, watch a film of M-Jack's breakout performance from "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever," and cop remixes by will.i.am, Kanye, Akon and... Fergie? Who knew she knew her way around a mixing board? At any rate - here's the cover, all freaky and eeky and iconic and classic.

http://www.vibe.com/news/news_headlines/2007/12/michael_jackson_cover/

Nice review. Short and sweet. Good thing for capturing those with short attention spans.

Haha! Look what I found when I searched for news this morning. Follow the link and page down until you find the one about Michael and J5 to see the short clip.:p I like the author's remark too:

That’s right, Michael Jackson and the crew had a cartoon back in the day. Until you have one, don’t say nothing about Mike nose or Jermaine’s hair! Check out the spins!

http://allhiphop.com/blogs/rumors/archive/2007/12/08/18975958.aspx

and I couldn't find the thread where someone one said "Yes I am going to go there" so :

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071208/ENTERTAINMENT/712080309

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Nominations in, Grammy producer tries to make the show sing

By GEOFF BOUCHER
LOS ANGELES TIMES

"Excuse me, could you turn down the music? I mean, I like Sinatra, but. ... " The waiter at the Italian restaurant gave the customer, Ken Ehrlich, a puzzled look before shrugging and walking off in search of a volume knob.

Even when he's sitting beneath dangling Chianti bottles and eating antipasto in Hollywood, the executive producer of the Grammy Awards still has strong opinions about the way music should reach the public.

Ehrlich is one of the most powerful gatekeepers in the music industry and, with yesterday's nominations for the 50th Annual Grammy Awards finally delivered, his cellphone should be burning up with calls from label executives, managers and sometimes artists themselves, all lobbying to get a moment in one of the brightest spotlights in the music industry.

A sparkling performance on the Grammys not only can yield a commercial windfall, it can shape careers.

The 63-year-old Ehrlich knows the pressure of all that after 27 years of the the Grammy show, and he also feels the weight of the history. That's clear on every page of his just-published backstage memoir, "At the Grammys!: Behind the Scenes at Music's Biggest Night" (Hal Leonard, $29.95), which, despite the breathless title, is like Ehrlich himself -understated, candid and impatient with those celebrities he deems arrogant or, worse, possessing only flimsy talent.

Take for example his reprinting of a handwritten note from Britney Spears that arrived on the eve of the 2006 show requesting a spot for her as a presenter ("I wanted to write you personally in hopes that you might find a place for me on the show . . .").

Ehrlich was unmoved; a few years earlier, he had been advised that he shouldn't speak directly to the star, only to her manager, and he was still seething. In his book, he reports his response to Spears' overture: "I think we ought to keep the relationship the way it was then."

The more interesting stories are the smaller ones that never made it on camera but reveal just as much about the strange physics of the celebrity universe.

There's the 1991 Grammys, when Ehrlich dearly wanted to book his old friend and idol Tony Bennett, but the Recording Academy leadership balked until Ehrlich had the idea of pairing Bennett with Harry Connick Jr., who wasn't far removed from his "When Harry Met Sally ... " success.

Connick was thrilled with the idea that would have him sing and then introduce Bennett, but then, after everything was set, his manager said Connick would drop out of the show unless the performance order was switched - the younger singer wanted Bennett to "open for him" and introduce him. Ehrlich fumed, but Bennett agreed.

Bennett was so sensational in rehearsals that he got a standing ovation from the crew at Radio City Music Hall. Five minutes after that, Connick's people had a change of heart: They didn't want to follow Bennett after all. Ehrlich, with glee, announced that it was too late.

Ehrlich's history with the gramophone trophy began as a member of the audience in 1976. He had been working in Chicago on a public-television music show called "Soundstage," which caught the eye of Pierre Cossette, whose Cossette Productions had launched the Grammy franchise as a network show in 1971. Cossette invited him to L.A. to see the show. Paul Simon and Natalie Cole performed and Ehrlich was smitten.

In 1980, Cossette (turned to Ehrlich and director Walter Miller to help a show that was drifting into schmaltz. Ehrlich's background helped immediately: Bob Dylan agreed to appear for the first time on the Grammys because he had worked with Ehrlich on a John Hammond tribute back in Chicago.

On that first show, Ehrlich lobbied "hot and hard" behind the scenes to create a special moment by pairing Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand on a performance of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers," a song they had first recorded individually, then in 1978 as a duet. The special tandem performances would become a trademark. Some critics, though, have wondered whether corralling Paul McCartney, Jay-Z and Linkin Park into one number, as Ehrlich did last year, is more gimmicky than golden.

Some big names that could be in Ehrlich's sights for the 50th anniversary show Feb. 10. Garth Brooks is ramping up his profile after a semi-retirement. Michael Jackson, meanwhile, is releasing a 25th-anniversary edition of "Thriller" just four days after the Grammys.

Ehrlich winces when the subject turns to "15-minute personalities," as he calls them, and he prides himself that he has turned down the overtures by Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie and other stars whose legacies seems to be as fleeting as a text message.

That may be, but Ehrlich has seen "American Idol" beat the Grammys in head-to-head competition, and he has seen that talent show's karaoke sensibility tilt the Grammys broadcast, which last year had an unknown singer who had been selected by fans perform with Justin Timberlake. These things don't sit well with Ehrlich, but he says the music keeps him going.
It is all about great music, he says. "Just great music, timeless music, and it's the music I used to sing to my kids. I don't know how anybody couldn't feel it or how they couldn't love it. My job to make sure that they get a chance to see it."

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these great articles and mentionings :)

More Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071208/LIFESTYLE/712080311

Ready to take the 'nino' title with honor

Oralé," of course, is a versatile Spanish word that in this context means, "Hello, and welcome to the backyard barbecue." And "Compa" is short for "compadre," Spanish for the relationship between a child's godparents and birth parents.

For example, Michael Jackson is godparent ("nino" in Spanish) to Nicole Ritchie, whose father is Lionel Ritchie. So if Michael and Lionel sang a medley of their hits "Off The Wall" and "Dancing On the Ceiling," they would musically defy gravity as "compadres." (Ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually 100 percent accurate.)

http://www.examiner.com/a-1093461~Chris_Brown_reaches_new_heights.html

Anyone who doubts his star power need only rewind to September’s “MTV Video Music Awards” when Brown’s performance and tributes to his idol Michael Jackson — including a medley that included Jackson’s hit “Billie Jean” — electrified the audience.
Even the King of Pop himself released a special statement thanking Brown for the shout-out and calling him a “bright and shining new star” whose shows Jackson himself enjoys.

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1992 - Michael Jackson's single "Heal The World" was released. This version of the single contained a version of "Heal The World" with an into.

1992 - Michael Jackson and the Cleveland Orchestra came to a settlement over Jackson's alleged unauthorized use of the orchestra's Beethoven's Ninth recording for the album "Dangerous."

Last edited:
SO I'm asuming Thriller 25 will be released on Feb. 12th?? All the ads say "THE WEEK OF Feb. 11th" Since 11th lands on a Mon. and albums are released on TUESDAYS..

so Feb. 12th?

:wub:Dorothy thanks for the news and tring so hard to give us something each day about our beloved Michael Jackson.

Wow, the possibility of Michael performing at the Grammies for their 50th anniversary. Ooooo Weeeee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some big names that could be in Ehrlich's sights for the 50th anniversary show Feb. 10. Garth Brooks is ramping up his profile after a semi-retirement. Michael Jackson, meanwhile, is releasing a 25th-anniversary edition of "Thriller" just four days after the Grammys.
All I gotta say is this:

If the Grammys book MJ and Brooks for the show, peeps (and Fox) will be saying American I---- who? :lol:

My dream is that the class of 1958: Madonna, Michael and Prince is booked since all 3 of them were born the year the Grammys were incepted.

Of course, MJ would be quite enough for me. (Polishing off the old VCR getting it ready to go.... hee!:p)

This is what I've been saying all along! I REALLLY DO think he will be doing something at the Grammys! It's not just a coincidence that the Grammys are Feb. 10th & Thriller 25 is Feb 12th! :D I not getting my hopes up, but I really do think something's gonna happen!

This is what I've been saying all along! I REALLLY DO think he will be doing something at the Grammys! It's not just a coincidence that the Grammys are Feb. 10th & Thriller 25 is Feb 12th! :D I not getting my hopes up, but I really do think something's gonna happen!
For once, I think that this is an award show to FINALLY get excited about! CBS LOVES MJ because he brings the ratings. I know that there is going to be some effort to sign him for that show. It would great....:D

I am not going to try to direct Michael's career. lol. I am sure he knows what he is doing and I think there is a whole lot going on under the radar. It just seems like it is a little bit to much to be a coincidence about the release date and the Grammys and well, hmmmmmmm......

It would be like repeating a pattern that worked once before. This is the new Thriller in more ways than one.

For once, I think that this is an award show to FINALLY get excited about! CBS LOVES MJ because he brings the ratings. I know that there is going to be some effort to sign him for that show. It would great....:D
:yes: so true

I wouldn't be surprised either. This Erlrich guy seems to have a huge appreciate for really good talent and I betcha Michael is one of his favorites. I mean these people were fighting with the AMAs over Michael. Michael is serious stuff when it comes to these awards shows. I betcha any money they are talking to Michael right now to see if they can get him to do some sort of tribute to Thriller.

However, we have seen Michael pay tribute to Thriller so many times. So I hope that if he does do it, he does it with the new fresh versions of the songs that are being worked on by Akon, Kanye and nem. Now that would be a great show!

I hope Michael will do something a the grammy,s but just don,t want to get my hopes up to far but i,m sure hoping.Does seem possible doesn,t it . :p

according to the poster mjnews777 who hears/gets info. mj is in talks re the grammies

Dang! It's Just 2 days apart!
Gotta to hand it to the the timing. It's just uncanny!
Brilliant marketing.
Hell! Even the chances of my kitchen sink not ever choking are a 1000 times better than a Jacksons re-union tour with Michael.... :lol:
Michael at the Grammys????......:wild: Now I'm all fired up.

Last edited:
This might sound weird for you guys.. BUT!! I wish Michael NOT to perform at the grammy's.. APPEAR, YES!!! Do something special YES!! But, I really would like to have people around the world WONDER and only IMAGINE what Mike can still do untill his new album release..

This might sound weird for you guys.. BUT!! I wish Michael NOT to perform at the grammy's.. APPEAR, YES!!! Do something special YES!! But, I really would like to have people around the world WONDER and only IMAGINE what Mike can still do untill his new album release..
Interesting. Well again, I am going to trust Michael's judgement. I think beinbg rid of the creeps around him and the drama he will have a good sense of what will work best. He always has used mystery to his advantage.

I was thinking the same thing!!!

you are sooooooo right.. CBS and Michael have a special relationship.. I remember that it was CBS that had the TV special of Number Ones... in height of Michael's arrest and it was thoroughly positive.

Eventhough... they couldn't show the way they wanted to in USA as was scheduled.. they sold that TV special internationally and made $$$millions....

also the Grammy's is desparately seeking ratings.. the ratings they use to have way back when..

with the firestorm raging with the music critics about the supposed J5 reunion and then the Thriller 25th Anniversary...

and with Kanye West ... with big nominations... I see the 2008 version of Billie Jean.. being debut on the Grammy's...

ok.. stop... back to reality>...................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

ps: we have speculated about Michael going on awards shows before and then finding out he was asked.. but HE declined... i don't see.. a NO Thanks for this invite...or begging..

Last edited:
Back