Michael has such a beautiful lower voice...

LindaC781

Proud Member
The timbre, and the resonance when he sings low always gets to me. I like his falsetto, don't get me wrong - but his lower octave songs are just so good....If you really listen to Vince, you'll see what I mean.

I would always LOVE to have Michael Jackson as that high-pitched little boy that led the Jackson Five...but I love Michael Jackson the MAN singer even more...besides, the man IS approaching 50. Fans need to let the man stretch musically....he can't do falsetto for the rest of his life, besides I bet that could do a number on his vocal cords after a while..

What do you think?

I don't see any reason why he couldn't do falsetto, if he's taken care of his voice properly throughout the years. Look at Smokey Robinson, he STILL at it :tongue:

I love his high voice, his low voice, everything! Esp in Butterflies, where he does both, LOVE LOVE LOVE :D:D:D

MJ uses a deep voice in most of his songs, especially if u listen real closely with the harmonizing.

All of Michael's registers are beautiful. He has the most dynamic voice. So many layers. That's what I mean when I call a voice rich. I mean it has so many different aspects and dimensions to it, and that's Michael's voice all the way, it can totally change tone in a single note or phrase. Now to sing in falsetto is easy for Michael. That simply means to sing out of your natural range, meaning the outer layers of the vocal cords vibrat rather then the entire body of it. But Michael has such an incredible natural range. Seth Riggs said that a lot of people mistake Michael's high notes for falsetto, but it isn't. He doesn't really ever show what he's actually capable of, he can sing from low bass to well passed high C, and that's where he's most comfortable, singing higher, because he's a tenor, a high tenor, as Seth described it. But the quality of his voice is enough to make it the best, imo. Both higher and lower ranges.

Last edited:
All of Michael's registers are beautiful. He has the most dynamic voice. So many layers. That's what I mean when I call a voice rich. I mean it has so many different aspects and dimensions to it, and that's Michael's voice all the way, it can totally change tone in a single note or phrase. Now to sing in falsetto is easy for Michael. That simply means to sing out of your natural range, meaning the outer layers of the vocal cords vibrat rather then the entire body of it. But Michael has such an incredible natural range. Seth Riggs said that a lot of people mistake Michael's high notes for falsetto, but it isn't. He doesn't really ever show what he's actually capable of, he can sing from low bass to well passed high C, and that's where he's most comfortable, singing higher, because he's a tenor, a high tenor, as Seth described it. But the quality of his voice is enough to make it the best, imo. Both higher and lower ranges.

Perfectly stated :)

I just think that Michael is more of a natural tenor to high baritone. His vocal quality is the clearest in that range. Yeah, it's nice to be able to sing to a high C (my range is from low A or G below the staff to high C two lines above the staff). It is just that when I sing up high like that consistently, it does a number to my vocal cords. I just love the tenor - high baritone aspects of Mike's voice. I could listen to it over and over again, and it still doesn't bore me..not in the slightest!

Yeah, well, Seth says Michael is most comfortable singing in higher registers because it gives him greater control of his voice, but he's able to easily sing in the lower bass ranges as well. I guess if you sing properly and don't strain your chest register but sing higher with your head voice, it won't strain your cords so much. That's dependent on your range too though, if you don't easily achieve a certain note then its probably not within your vocal type classification. From what I've researched, Michael's range is from about 3 Bs below Middle C to G and Ab above High C, so about 4 octaves, and that's just his natural range, not including falsetto. It expanded going in to the early 90s, according to Seth. That's a pretty incredible range, for anyone talking trash about it, most singers don't come close to that.

Last edited:
Yeah, of course, but its rare. 3 octaves is extremely good, 2 and a half is average for a professional singer. Michael had a range of about 3 and 8/12 octaves throughout the 80s, and going in to the early 90s, he gained lower notes while still retaining his highest notes, expanding it to 4, according to Seth, who is a world renouned voice coach. Mariah Carey has a range of about 4.2 octaves I think, from what I know, C3 to D7. She's actually sung a range spanning over 5 octaves, but supposedlly the notes she hit then were done when she was sick, when her vocal cords had swollen and expanded, allowing her to reach notes she normally hasn't been able to. Her music isn't ever written for higher then D7, though she has hit notes higher then that, but again, when she was sick or congested. There's a guy from Autraila who has a range spanning over 7 octaves, but he only actually has about a 4 octave range, because several of the notes in between his highest and lowest, he isn't able to sing. Its possible to have 4 octaves, but its rare. Michael though is a rare vocalist. Seth Riggs has said Michael is the most talented male vocalist he's ever heard, according to a student of his that used to come here.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, Seth says Michael is most comfortable singing in higher registers because it gives him greater control of his voice, but he's able to easily sing in the lower bass ranges as well. I guess if you sing properly and don't strain your chest register but sing higher with your head voice, it won't strain your cords so much. That's dependent on your range too though, if you don't easily achieve a certain note then its probably not within your vocal type classification. From what I've researched, Michael's range is from about 3 Bs below Middle C to G and Ab above High C, so about 4 octaves, and that's just his natural range, not including falsetto. It expanded going in to the early 90s, according to Seth. That's a pretty incredible range, for anyone talking trash about it, most singers don't come close to that.

WOW....I knew he had range, but didn't know it was that large! Not including falsetto too?? WOW!

I like his singing voice in EVERY tone and pitch.. But I do like hearing SPEAK in a bit lower tone, even though it always sounds great..

I love how even the way he speaks sounds like music.. :) sometimes the tone, the way he moves it, reminds me SO MUCH of SONG..

"The quality of his voice is enough to make it the best, imo. Both higher and lower ranges."

I completly agree with you:)

I love how he can change tones so easily... :)

I looove his low voice in Will You Be There, and I also love it when he starts singing with a higher voice! :wub:
I could listen to his voice forever...

I love MJ's voice! Not many people really know how to appreciate it. As a kid, teen and adult, his voice is just phenomenon! You can listen to his vocal range when you hear the harmonizing in some songs, pretty obvious. And his falsetto is beautiful, is not annoying. No offense, but some singers out there singing falsetto is just plain annoying and scratchy.

4 octaves, Christina Aguilera is another with 4 octaves range right?

Michael's voice seems to have got better with age. On Invincible it's amazing. Unfortunatley we never get to hear it live anymore.

But what a range, compare DSTYGE to TDCAU to Heal The World to You Are My Life to 2000 Watts.

His deep voice in Will You Be There is amazingly perfect. He also has the powerful higher voice in that song too, one of my fave songs for gorgeous MJ vocals I think. :wub:

Yeah, of course, but its rare. 3 octaves is extremely good, 2 and a half is average for a professional singer. Michael had a range of about 3 and 8/12 octaves throughout the 80s, and going in to the early 90s, he gained lower notes while still retaining his highest notes, expanding it to 4, according to Seth, who is a world renouned voice coach. Mariah Carey has a range of about 4.2 octaves I think, from what I know, C3 to D7. She's actually sung a range spanning over 5 octaves, but supposedlly the notes she hit then were done when she was sick, when her vocal cords had swollen and expanded, allowing her to reach notes she normally hasn't been able to. Her music isn't ever written for higher then D7, though she has hit notes higher then that, but again, when she was sick or congested. There's a guy from Autraila who has a range spanning over 7 octaves, but he only actually has about a 4 octave range, because several of the notes in between his highest and lowest, he isn't able to sing. Its possible to have 4 octaves, but its rare. Michael though is a rare vocalist. Seth Riggs has said Michael is the most talented male vocalist he's ever heard, according to a student of his that used to come here.
:O :yes: And I can see this!

He has a great range. And I think I, too, have said that it sounds like it's easier for him to control his vocal ability while in falsetto. It is for me, as well.

I love MJ's voice! Not many people really know how to appreciate it. As a kid, teen and adult, his voice is just phenomenon! You can listen to his vocal range when you hear the harmonizing in some songs, pretty obvious. And his falsetto is beautiful, is not annoying. No offense, but some singers out there singing falsetto is just plain annoying and scratchy.

4 octaves, Christina Aguilera is another with 4 octaves range right?
Not sure but definately Mariah Carey!!

I think Christina Aguilera has a nearly 4 octave vocal range, but not quite. But almost there. She'll probably gain it as she gets older, if she takes care of her voice.

I've always wanted to hear Michael do a duet with Christina Aguilera. I think her voice has the depth that his has when he fulls it out from the bottom of his feet.

They both sing from the deepest part of their souls when it gets good to them.:D

Britney's voice didn't match at all on "The Way You Make Me Feel" on the 30th Anniversary performance. Christina would have served the song right.

Michael's voice is most melodic when he sings ballads, like "The Girl Is Mine" and "Liberian Girl" that touches those heart strings of the listener.

Then when he sings with that almost biting his bottom lip sound, like "Morphine" and "Is It Scary", his voice goes to a much deeper level and gets your heart pumping in a different way altogether.

I love it all, except when he sounds like he's about to cry. That makes my heart hurt and that's not a good feeling. That makes me want to reach out and touch him and you can't get close and that makes it worse.

Last edited:
The timbre, and the resonance when he sings low always gets to me. I like his falsetto, don't get me wrong - but his lower octave songs are just so good....If you really listen to Vince, you'll see what I mean.

I would always LOVE to have Michael Jackson as that high-pitched little boy that led the Jackson Five...but I love Michael Jackson the MAN singer even more...besides, the man IS approaching 50. Fans need to let the man stretch musically....he can't do falsetto for the rest of his life, besides I bet that could do a number on his vocal cords after a while..

What do you think?
i know ........ its so sexy :wub: YUM YUM

Back