The youtube versus the fanboard debate.

Datsymay

Proud Member
When I go to youtube, I find that there are very robust debates going on in the commentaries and I am seeingf the same familiar faces there all the time. I was wondering if some fans prefer to hangout there than go to fanboards nowadays, if so why is that.:cool:

For me it's the opposite, I prefer to hang around fanboards than on youtube message boards. Reading stupid, dumbas* comments by haters and fans cursing them off, can get really irritating after a while. -_-

For me it's the opposite, I prefer to hang around fanboards than on youtube message boards. Reading stupid, dumbas* comments by haters and fans cursing them off, can get really irritating after a while. -_-
That is the truth for me, but I rather think that it is becoming a debating chamber now for all sorts of reasons and people are making frienships there whereas it used to happen on fanboards. I agree with you about the negative comments though, it can be a real turnoff.:mad:

Last edited:
I tried having a sensible discussion on Youtube with a 'hater' about the child moles*tation issue and was very friendly and curteous about it. They ended up calling me a liar and pedo*ile. I kind of gave up after that. I've come to realize that the people who insist on watching and commenting MJ videos on Youtube despite hating him are just as fanatic as the looniest fans.

I find most discussions on Youtube quite tedious. Usually you'll get a bunch of nutty and inarticulate fans going all "OMG I love him he is perfect f*ck all haterz" and a bunch of haters who are just there to annoy the fans. Everybody is extremely short tempered and the amount of personal insults and foul language is appaling.

I tried having a sensible discussion on Youtube with a 'hater' about the child moles*tation issue and was very friendly and curteous about it. They ended up calling me a liar and pedo*ile. I kind of gave up after that. I've come to realize that the people who insist on watching and commenting MJ videos on Youtube despite hating him are just as fanatic as the looniest fans.

I find most discussions on Youtube quite tedious. Usually you'll get a bunch of nutty and inarticulate fans going all "OMG I love him he is perfect f*ck all haterz" and a bunch of haters who are just there to annoy the fans. Everybody is extremely short tempered and the amount of personal insults and foul language is appaling.
:lol::lol::lol:I know what you mean. have often thought of signing up and joining the debate, but then I haven't got the stumoch for it. I think we tend to relise that the internet takes all sorts of people and not all of us are sane people. Some are terribly disturbed. When I first became involved with the internet, I went unto a the royal family web-site. I am a royalist and have collected stuff on them for many years, so it was quite natural for me to check their new website. I could not believe the hate and the vitriol that was being spilt on those forums. I wondered how those people lived with themselves. I was so shattered by the experience that I didn't go back.
There seems to be a certain type of people in the world who have a need to spill hate on people that they may have never met, and the net is a good place for those people to congregate, youtube has given them a voice.
I get my consolation from the fact the MJ is not the only one that gets the hate. If these people were interested in the truth they would have sought it and find it. They are not interested in the truth, they just want to hate, for whatever reason.:mad:

:lol::lol::lol:I know what you mean. have often thought of signing up and joining the debate, but then I haven't got the stumoch for it. I think we tend to relise that the internet takes all sorts of people and not all of us are sane people. Some are terribly disturbed. When I first became involved with the internet, I went unto a the royal family web-site. I am a royalist and have collected stuff on them for many years, so it was quite natural for me to check their new website. I could not believe the hate and the vitriol that was being spilt on those forums. I wondered how those people lived with themselves. I was so shattered by the experience that I didn't go back.
There seems to be a certain type of people in the world who have a need to spill hate on people that they may have never met, and the net is a good place for those people to congregate, youtube has given them a voice.
I get my consolation from the fact the MJ is not the only one that gets the hate. If these people were interested in the truth they would have sought it and find it. They are not interested in the truth, they just want to hate, for whatever reason.:mad:

I know what you mean. I believe that the anonymity removes too many inhibitions for some people. They just take out all their frustration and hate on whomever. I don't think that's the whole truth though, because I have noticed this increasing need among people to insult the famous. I've come to realize, to my utter disgust, that there are entire forums and websites dedicated to spewing hate on celebrities. Perez Hilton is a perfect example. I don't understand where this need for hate comes from. There are plenty of celebrities I don't like but I'm not gonna visit some website with the sole purpose of talking crap about them.

Well when you can't deal with the negative feelings we all do sometimes have in life and it comes out a constantly hating way, that you even try to make a mission out of it... that's just so obviously hiding the real thing. Somewhere inside there's the bigger problem scaring the person who carries it inside to death someone could notice and/or those could be forced to face it.
Well I do not feel a pity or even only sorry for such ppl.

I want my energy going to the nice and sweet ppl in my life.

So logically I'd never join youtube and usually do not spend lots of time there also as a non member as it's a stupid feeling for me how low some ppl can sink. I don't want such ppl in my life so I'll not join a group where they are a member also and it seems to be ok that they do behave like that.

And I'm not talking about diversity in opinion. I like a good discussion always.
I'm talking about how opinion is presented and how much respect towards life is to feel in ppl.

Did I tell that mjjcommunity is the only fan board I'm signed to as a member?! ^_^

I find the fanboards are far more positive and enjoyable.
As for robust discussions, I much prefer the ones we can have on here as opposed to the ones on youtube.

I hate watching fans try to argue with people who are just saying those things to stir the fans up. I hate watching it cause I know the fans are getting upset, where as it's just fun for them :no:

I know what you mean. I believe that the anonymity removes too many inhibitions for some people. They just take out all their frustration and hate on whomever. I don't think that's the whole truth though, because I have noticed this increasing need among people to insult the famous. I've come to realize, to my utter disgust, that there are entire forums and websites dedicated to spewing hate on celebrities. Perez Hilton is a perfect example. I don't understand where this need for hate comes from. There are plenty of celebrities I don't like but I'm not gonna visit some website with the sole purpose of talking crap about them.
I agree about the anonymity. I have sometimes wondered what that kind of people are like in real life. I don´t understand the hate eaither. It seems like many bloggers have this problem also. They receive threat messages.

Last edited:
I'd much rather be on the Fan Boards myself. I am so sorry that I left this one for a while because a lot of the old friends have forgotten me. Yes, it has been that long.

Here we can feel safe and amongst friends so to speak. Youtube your constantly defending and it can get a bit hurtful some times.

Any way that is just my small minded opinion

I'd much rather be on the Fan Boards myself. I am so sorry that I left this one for a while because a lot of the old friends have forgotten me. Yes, it has been that long.

Here we can feel safe and amongst friends so to speak. Youtube your constantly defending and it can get a bit hurtful some times.

i agree, forums are better for me, fans are constantly being hurt on youtube from negative insulting videos to the hateful comments. i am sick of argueing with people and im sick of being hurt. i went through primary school and half of high school being called names for being a michael jackson fan, i just dont understand why or how people can have so much hate in them. that is why i like the forums, where we are all fans and can spread love and not hate, thank you all for being my friends i love you all!

There's no small minded opinions on here :)

and yes you're right it does feel safer and more enjoyable :D

When it comes to Mj, youtube is like swings and roundabouts. He has truly benefited from the youtube experience, so too his fans, but I feel that rumours and lies have also grown as a result. The haters concentrated their efforts on his videos at the start but his fans have fought back and things are much better now.
Unfortunately, not enough of his fans are interested in his earlier work with his brothers, so that is the place where many of his disgruntled fans and haters congregate. I love watching his earlier work, but I hate the stupid commentaries.

You Tube is not really an environment in my opinion that is set up to have any kind of deep discussions. It's more reactionary in nature. Someone puts up a video clip and peeps say they like it or not. I do like the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' feature in that the most negative comments will automatically be placed invisible after a certain number of votes. If you want to read it, you can, but mainly you can skip right past all of the negative stuff. It's actually a good troll-control filter.

But in the main, YouTube is rather impersonal to me...

Reactions: L.J
You Tube is not really an environment in my opinion that is set up to have any kind of deep discussions. It's more reactionary in nature. Someone puts up a video clip and peeps say they like it or not. I do like the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' feature in that the most negative comments will automatically be placed invisible after a certain number of votes. If you want to read it, you can, but mainly you can skip right past all of the negative stuff. It's actually a good troll-control filter.

But in the main, YouTube is rather impersonal to me...

Correct while you tube has its place in tha fan community
It can never replace the forums or message boards - because
you can't get into any real discussions - you are limited to 500 charatcers .. even the side groups messages are set up that way - there is a tight community of fans there - but its mainly to discuss videos _ I do use the bulletins - for any news or updates - and refer them to here or to a source link for moe info - but I will always come here for discussions and news and updates - becuase no one does that on Youtube except myself that I know of .. I also love the thumb down - and fans will use it in a heart beat - to make the haters comments invisible.

Most of the trolls hang out on vidoes that are not monitered and the official Michael Jackson site is one .. I believe its a troll board - they all come in daily around the same time to post their smut .. and pat each other on the back - its very difficult to ignore them sometimes .. thier comments can make your blood boil .. I just try to post positive over the negative - and once in a while Ill SLAP one .. but I dont like the profanity from fans getting into it and Ill even message them and ask them to stop .. as its not a good ambassadoe for MJ if we stoop to thier level -people viewing will judge MJ by how we represent him .. Its getting a lot better - then it use to be .. It was hell in there for a while .. but more and more of the general public are sticing up for MJ and skolding the TROLLS- a lor of closet fans are coming forward too :LOL: since the news of Mj's Thriller 25 ..

Last edited:
I tend to think that people that use the opportunity to be really rude or aggressive on places like youtube has some kind of personal problem, or they are playing a game- just trying to get a reaction out of people.
The "normal" reaction to something you don`t like or enjoy would be to avoid it, not spend time seeking it- and if people get a kick out of ridiculing others, its a very good reason to just leave them alone.
I prefer the fan- forums, because its a common reason we are here, and that leads to more interesting discussions, at another level.

I love youtube for the quickness of responding to a vid. It is a very EASY way to see a Mike vid and post a positive comment...but it is also very easy for the haters, and to be sucked into their negativity. I joined this forum because I saw an promo vid on youtube! So Youtube has its good and bad parts. This forum is much less stressfull obviously, without the mindless hater comments. Youtube is popular because it is the NEW thing right now and it is very easy and a quick way to get a message out to the public wheather it is tv shows, fan vids, hate vids, whatever you feel the need to say to the world. Like I said, I am HERE because of Bigdb's vid on youtube.

mJsig.jpg

It's so embarrassing seeing your comments from months ago that you completely forget typing, I wish they could all be removed. I used to argue all the time with people dogging Michael on YouTube but now I just downrate them and move on.

I do both. But youtube is a side thing. Cuz if i'm procrasinating and decide to watch MJ videos, and i scroll down and see some CRAP said, hell ya i'mma respond!
That's only once in a while. But i figure if i get through at least one person with the truth I'll do something right. And it's possible to do that! Some people just don't KNOW that mj has vitiligo or the particulars of the case cuz theyre sucked into what everyone else tells them. So everyone once and a while i post.

Back