17 Dec 2007: MJ news and mentionings

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
sorry, I didn't see todays news thread yet and wanted to get this posted..some bizniz news

Day 95: What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man -

Sony ATV

Digital business heats up for Latin music

By Leila Cobo and Ayala Ben-Yehuda
Reuters

Sunday, December 16, 2007; 9:53 PM

MIAMI/LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - After years of modest results, the digital marketplace in 2007 finally began to yield considerable revenue streams for Latin labels and acts.
Sales of Latin digital albums numbered 477,000 units by December 10, according to Nielsen SoundScan -- 1.6 percent of all Latin albums sold. That figure is still significantly less than the 10.4 percent portion of album sales overall that were digital, but far exceeds the 293,000 digital album sales tallied for Latin music in 2006.

Growth has been listed by iTunes Latino's solidified status as a destination for a vast, well-catalogued library of music and by the proliferation of videos by Latin acts now found on YouTube. Ringtones and master ringtones are also growing sources of revenue for Latin labels.

Following are five digital stories that altered the Latin music business in 2007 and will likely have an impact in 2008.

1. Juanes: Worldwide, according to label Universal Music Latino, Juanes sold 6 million digital tracks the week prior to release of "La Vida Es ... Un Ratico." That number includes singles, master ringtones and digital albums broken down by tracks. It also includes digital albums preloaded onto mobile phones -- including 500,000 in Latin America, according to Universal. In the United States, bolstered by a major sponsorship with Sprint and heavy promotion on sites like iTunes, iTunes Latino and Univision.com, the album sold 8,000 digital copies during its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan -- a record for a Latin album.

2. Zune: In a sign that Microsoft is taking Latin music seriously, Zune launched its first custom device with reggaeton duo Wisin & Yandel. The W&Y Zune was sold as a limited edition exclusively via Wal-Mart and promoted in a massive multimedia campaign. Wisin & Yandel's "Los Extraterrestres" notched the second-highest debut for a Latin album this year. Zune promises more extensive alliances with Latin acts in coming months, including cross-promotion with properties like MSN and aggressive promotion of digital sales in its Zune marketplace.
3. Univision: The dominant label group in regional Mexican, finally made its catalog available as mastertones this year, giving the top-selling Latin subgenre a chance to translate its popularity to mobile. Results so far have been promising: Alacranes Musical's "Por Tu Amor" has shifted 39,000 master ringtones since it was made available in May, according to Nielsen RingScan, compared with 6,000 tones of the group's top-selling polyphonic, "No Voy a Llorar." Other Univision artists, like Ivy Queen, are also regulars on Nielsen RingScan's charts.

4. Preloaded music: Labels increasingly crafted deals with carriers and handset manufacturers to preload music and other music-related content onto cell phones. In Latin America, the practice is the norm for established acts, including Ricky Martin, Juanes, Mana and RBD. Newer acts will begin taking advantage of the trend when Sony Ericsson debuts its new Walkman phones by year's end in Latin America, featuring music from Sony/ATV Music Publishing's roster of proven and developing artists.

5. MySpace: 2007 saw the launch of MySpace Mexico, MySpace Latin America and MySpace Latino, a Spanish-language site directed at the U.S. market. Since the launches, MySpace says unique monthly visitors in Latin America have nearly doubled to about 4.3 million and in Mexico have more than doubled to 1.5 million. MySpace Latino sponsored its first tour this year, with the bilingual, U.S.-based band B-Side Players.
Reuters/Billboard
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/16/AR2007121601903.html

Mentionings....

34254163.jpg

Ray-Ban, “Ultra” limited edition, $485
[COLOR=#333333! important]Get them in gold, or get 'em at the gas station -- aviators are turning 70.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#999999! important]By Melissa Magsaysay, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 16, 2007 [/COLOR]
MENTION aviator sunglasses and "Top Gun" may be the first thing that comes to mind. But a close second should be Ray-Ban, the company that originated the style 70 years ago.

Modeled after military-issue goggles, aviators were developed for pilots who needed anti-glare glasses. They became popular with civilians in the late 1960s and early 1970s, only to be eclipsed by the Ray-Ban Wayfarer in the 1980s.

In Hollywood, aviators never strayed too far from the spotlight. They've shaded the famous faces of Robert Redford, Michael Jackson and Angelina Jolie. They are a perennial classic on the runways too, at Michael Kors and Gucci. And though aviators do get updated with oversized lenses and sleeker materials, their sloping frames will always accentuate the cheekbones.
http://www.latimes.com/features/pri...16,0,4066944.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-image

Last edited:
MJ News:

Last Saturday, Michael was spotted in a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Las Vegas.

MJ mentionings:

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/4167

Blender Music Magazine Names Fergie Woman of the Year
[...]
In other Fergalicious news the star has signed on the upcoming Michael Jackson cover album that celebrates the 25th anniversary of the iconic 'Thriller' album. Fergie will sing 'Beat it' alongside Kayne WEst, Akon, will.i.am. The album will hit stores on February 12th.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servi...17,0,7846264.story?coll=chi_news_opinion_util
Reporter brings skin disorder to light - 'I'm a black man turning white' on TV
[...]
Detroit news anchor and entertainment reporter Lee Thomas has vitiligo, a disorder in which pigment-making cells in the skin are destroyed. He covers the patches with creams and makeup.
[...]
Relatively few people had heard the term "vitiligo" until Michael Jackson revealed in the early 1990s that the disorder was behind his skin turning brown to white.

MJ mentionings:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071214/music_nm/radio_dc
Country music dominates U.S. radio in 2007
[...]
M Street began tracking rhythmic adult contemporary, a relatively new format that plays everything from Akon to Bee Gees and Michael Jackson to Janet Jackson, earlier this year and counts 27 mostly large-market stations in the format.

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-ettop5504547dec18,0,7666631.column
Review: Mary J. Blige's effortless 'Growing Pains'
Glenn Gamboa | DROPS
[...]
Even when she's clearly having fun, in the first single "Just Fine," which bounces like vintage Michael Jackson circa "Off the Wall," or the Pharrell-produced, '80s freestyle throwback "Till the Morning," Blige is still building her argument for lifting one's spirit.

http://www.oregonlive.com/entertain...base/entertainment/119784750831280.xml&coll=7
Music review This house DJ's made for dancing
Derrick Carter - Fans fill a chilly warehouse to dance the night away with the Chicago wizard
LUCIANA LOPEZ
[...]
For example, Carter used the vocals from Jill Scott's defiant anthem "Hate on Me" and Michael Jackson's "Bad," but layered them with thumping house beats on Friday night -- or, more accurately, Saturday morning -- as the obviously nocturnal Carter didn't take to the turntables until shortly past 1 a.m..

PLEASE WHERE EVER you see these pics on an MJ fan site.. Tell them not to spread it.. We would not want people to start making bullitens on myspace on this..

I think these pics should be X'd out of the sites ASAP before the pics get into the wrong hands.. MJJC please delete the pics from the thread that was closed.. WE GOTTA tell all MJ fan sites to get rid of it.. ASAP

Okay. No problem. I never know what to think about some of this stuff but it looked so much like some of the disguises he has used in the past like that bee keeper hat or whatever that I kinda figured he was up to old tricks. I trust you and Trish though.

Okay. No problem. I never know what to think about some of this stuff but it looked so much like some of the disguises he has used in the past like that bee keeper hat or whatever that I kinda figured he was up to old tricks. I trust you and Trish though.
I don't really believe that Mj wears those thing as a disguise. I beleve he wears them to keep the paps from zooming in on his face. These paps deliberately zoom in on his face for obvious reasons. MJ covers his face from the paps, not because he wants to disguise himself. Everybody still knows its him, but he hates the paps and he is unwilling to allow them the pictures they want.

Last edited:
Last month I spotted a magazine with will.i.am on the cover and leafed through it just to see what he had to say about Michael. It is a magazine called "Dub" and seems to be about cars.Today, I stood up in the checkout line and copied out his comments verbatim. Just thought I would share:

"He's a really dope dude. I've been inspired by him. It's intimidating . . . a blessing, a dream come true. It's real. There are alot of emotions."

Okay. I am going to put this here too since noone seems to be noticing it

New rumor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ta da!

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/2671/101/

Britney and MJ, TomKat's Baby Plans and JT at the Super Bowl Written by Sunrise on KGMB9 - sunrise@kgmb9.com Monday, December 17, 2007 08:43 AM Time to go to Hollywood. Local boy Mike Evans joins us with the latest gossip from Tinsel Town.

Over the weekend, Britney Spears called Michael Jackson. Apparently she's a big fan and wants to do a song or concert together.

Michael Jackson's agent says he will be doing seven concert dates as a solo artist and will also join his brothers and sisters for some concert dates next year. Dates and locations will be announced sometime next month.

Britney and MJ, TomKat's Baby Plans and JT at the Super Bowl Written by Sunrise on KGMB9 - sunrise@kgmb9.com Monday, December 17, 2007 08:43 AM Time to go to Hollywood. Local boy Mike Evans joins us with the latest gossip from Tinsel Town.

Over the weekend, Britney Spears called Michael Jackson. Apparently she's a big fan and wants to do a song or concert together.

Michael Jackson's agent says he will be doing seven concert dates as a solo artist and will also join his brothers and sisters for some concert dates next year. Dates and locations will be announced sometime next month.

I have a feeling that we are getting closer to some performance appearances. Now that will give people something to talk about.

Thankyou Rasta Pasta and Sunset driver for doing this... I had major issues at home and failed to post yesterday's news my apologies :flowers:

Back