Which Do You Want to Exist: the real Michael or your dream version of Michael?

classic

Proud Member
Who really likes Michael Jackson (as much as we know him through interviews, appearances, etc.) and who would prefer him to be something other than himself that would be more befitting of your vision of who he should be?

Are there any people that truly accept him for who he is? Why or why not?

Please don't use this as a platform to discuss your rights not to like all of his actions. No one likes anyone's actions or behaviors 100% 24/7. But, you accept the faults and put those behind the good things.

Are you able to do such or do you think that for you his faults are more important and therefore don't like the man as he is (again, to the extent that we as fans know him) and would rather change him to suit your preferences?

I'm asking because I get the sense that there are many of the latter out there. For those in this group, can you even admit that what is viewed by you as faults may not be so by him and if so does this make him wrong in your view versus simply being different from you?

Last edited:
GREAT thread and great question. It's something that i've been pondering especially as of LATE, within the fan community.

But me, I know he's a human being and I'll treat him as any other. And i know that if it's someone i love, i'm not gonna sit there and nit pick on every little thing that I find wrong about him/her. THat's not fair because I know that's not how I'd like to be treated. And doing so is not being 'blind' or in 'denial'. It just makes me of accepting of ALL of that person, faults and all. That's what UNCONDITIONAL is called. And I think a lot of fans love MJ conditionally. But I chose to love him unconditionally. So when he does crazy and stupid stuff, like i dunno, 'dangle' his baby over a balcony...yes at the TIME i'm gonna say that wasn't smart...AT ALL. But 7 years down the road when MJ does something else that's not to my liking i'm not gonna be like "this proves somethings wrong with him because he did this and that and this" Just adding his mistakes up like it's a scoreboard...that's nuts. I wouldn't do that for ANY NORMAL person so I wouldn't do that for MJ. I realize MJ makes mistakes, he doesn't think sometimes...and being 'realistic' and being 'real' about the situation would be to take that into account and NOT hold it against him as a total character flaw or something.

Plus, MJ is GROWN. I'm not gonna sit here and dictate what a grown man should and shouldn't do LOL. I Know sometimes he don't ACT like it, but he's SMART. He's shown time and time again that he is a SMART SMART man, and I know he knows that when he does an action there are consequences...so who am i to dictate his decision making? He does what he does with his own life. I'm a fan of his music and I'm a fan of him as a person because I, for the most part, AGREE with how he handles his life. So that's why I'm not hung up on lil things that i don't agree with. I'm just his supporter, here because i enjoy what he does. That's all...I'm not his career, financial, spiritual, or personal adviser.

"I do what I wanna cuz I gotta be nobody but me"- MJ

Every action has a reaction. As long as Michael is comfortable being on the outer edges of the Bell curve sometimes, and isn't surprised or disturbed by the reactions to his actions, then more power to him.

I want more Post-It Michaels. :lol: AND HAVE SOMETHING WRITTEN ON THEM NEXT TIME so fools won't say "oh he's melting". That'll show 'em. :rofl:

I also found this quote and I thought it was fitting. 2001 internet chat. "Nothing can stop me. I will continue to go forward no matter what. I stop when I WANT TO stop"

MJ's a resilient man. he's gonna do what he wants too. I truely think the fans worry more than MJ worries himself.

I just want MJ to do him ... let it all hang out and cuss some foolz out! But on the real, the real Michael is perfectly fine with me. There are peeps that want the real Michael and there are those who want *wacko/jacko* and they LOVE they tabloids and freak show... I don't care for that ish - never have, never will.

the real Michael ,of course!
if he would be perfect he would be boring.making mistakes is a way of learning and Michael is a good model for me;-)

I like Michael for who he is, as he presents himself, because that IS a real part of him, and I accept that he has multiple fascets to his personality and those qualities not so public, I like just as much, because nobody is perfect and I don't care what his faults are, because he has a pure, good heart and he is incredibly intelligent, caring and talented. I don't pretend to know or have the right to make judgements about his private qualities. He is who he is, I admire him, faults and all. Because I will tell you, watching him over the years, you can see he is an exceptionally good person and that's no image, that's sincerely who he is.

Last edited:
I like Michael for who he is, as he presents himself, because that IS a real part of him, and I accept that he has multiple fascets to his personality and those qualities not so public, I like just as much, because nobody is perfect and I don't care what his faults are, because he has a pure, good heart and he is incredibly intelligent, caring and talented. I don't pretend to know or have the right to make judgements about his private qualities. He is who he is, I admire him, faults and all. Because I will tell you, watching him over the years, you can see he is an exceptionally good person and that's no image, that's sincerely who he is.

my sentiments exactly.

GREAT thread and great question. It's something that i've been pondering especially as of LATE, within the fan community.

But me, I know he's a human being and I'll treat him as any other. And i know that if it's someone i love, i'm not gonna sit there and nit pick on every little thing that I find wrong about him/her. THat's not fair because I know that's not how I'd like to be treated. And doing so is not being 'blind' or in 'denial'. It just makes me of accepting of ALL of that person, faults and all. That's what UNCONDITIONAL is called. And I think a lot of fans love MJ conditionally. But I chose to love him unconditionally. So when he does crazy and stupid stuff, like i dunno, 'dangle' his baby over a balcony...yes at the TIME i'm gonna say that wasn't smart...AT ALL. But 7 years down the road when MJ does something else that's not to my liking i'm not gonna be like "this proves somethings wrong with him because he did this and that and this" Just adding his mistakes up like it's a scoreboard...that's nuts. I wouldn't do that for ANY NORMAL person so I wouldn't do that for MJ. I realize MJ makes mistakes, he doesn't think sometimes...and being 'realistic' and being 'real' about the situation would be to take that into account and NOT hold it against him as a total character flaw or something.

Plus, MJ is GROWN. I'm not gonna sit here and dictate what a grown man should and shouldn't do LOL. I Know sometimes he don't ACT like it, but he's SMART. He's shown time and time again that he is a SMART SMART man, and I know he knows that when he does an action there are consequences...so who am i to dictate his decision making? He does what he does with his own life. I'm a fan of his music and I'm a fan of him as a person because I, for the most part, AGREE with how he handles his life. So that's why I'm not hung up on lil things that i don't agree with. I'm just his supporter, here because i enjoy what he does. That's all...I'm not his career, financial, spiritual, or personal adviser.

I completely agree. I don't agree with everything Michael has done. But his art is what draws me to him. That is enough for me.

The Real Michael, there is NO OTHER Kind of Michael! He is Human with flaws like everyone else! And just because he has flaws or little eccentricities, doesn't make him a criminal (which certain folks in the media need to realize). Just because a person lives his/her life differently than the "norm" doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong or make them weird! And to be honest I really don't see anything really eccentric anyway, I mean because he is so famous he almost has to live the way he does! So everybody just needs to shut up & let him do what he has to do. No matter what anybody says, he HAS NOT hurt anybody, so let him be to do what he does best! And only HE can do it. We may think we know what he should do, but in reality we don't know what's the best thing for him to do! He knows what he's doing Period! The thing that makes him stand out the most to me besides his talent is his heart! No matter what he does personally & professionally he puts his whole heart in it, right down to the words he speaks! He just doesn't say it to say it! He says it because he truly feels it & he proves it through his actions!

Last edited:
I want more Post-It Michaels. :lol: AND HAVE SOMETHING WRITTEN ON THEM NEXT TIME so fools won't say "oh he's melting". That'll show 'em. :rofl:
like "don't laugh" or "hello" "Hi" "nice you see me" "how are you?":lol:

and I want real Michael :wild:

I was dream version. I've been thnking about it by myself some time ago lol I like how it is. I like to admire him from distance. Some ppl think they can run around saying they know Michael and wait till I will become jealous. But no, I am not :p Cause I am not sure if I even would want to personaly know him. Sure I would want to meet him etc. But I have my own life, personal life and stuff and I enjoy to be a fan, enjoy to love him from distance :D

THE REAL MICHAEL.. If we try to put Michael (or anyone) to the level we DREAM of, they'll always fall short.. HUMANS are HUMANS, they are not perfection.

I find it to be FANS that want him to be the 'DREAM' Michael is where MUCH of his pain throughout his life came from.. Beginning with not wanting Mike to grow up.. Wanting "little Michael". When getting a bit older, voice changing, that's torcher.. The 'Little Michael' thing, his voice and looks were just the beginning.. STILL to this day people want him to live up to EVERYTHING they dream of..

Making him to be MORE THAN HUMAN. Just imagine how hard that would be to live up to....................

Very interesting thread! Great question. :clap:

Some very interesting answers. :)
The real MJ for me too (as long as he is been truly himself!).

Who really likes Michael Jackson (as much as we know him through interviews, appearances, etc.) and who would prefer him to be something other than himself that would be more befitting of your vision of who he should be?

The way I have thought of this is that I don't like Michael Jackson I love him. And sometimes I feel that I fall in love with him again, like I did when I first became his fan.
I don't like it how he postpones his albums, how he always goes to Germany and England and not my country ;) . And I don't always like it when he does things that make people go "oh he's crazy" and doesn't give an explanation why he did it but I don't care about that (anymore) as long as I don't have to go and explain it to some people why I'm a fan and why do I love him. I did it way back years ago and I realized that very few people change their minds about Michael no matter what I said to them. It made me think do other artists/bands fans have to explain why they like their idol? Am I getting off topic?

I probably did have a dream version of Michael when I first became a fan but especially during the recent years I've realized that Michael has his private life too and he isn't perfect like none of us are. And I can either accept that or focus on other things in my life and move on. Also the older I get has changed me as a fan. During these 16 years of my fandom I think I've learned to respect and love Michael as he is. For he gives me so much.

Theres no denying REALITY, the same cannot be said for a DREAM.....I'll take the REAL version of Michael Jackson as opposed to the DREAM one any day.;)

I haven't read what anyone else wrote yet, but imo, I don't have a "dream version" of Michael. I like him how he is. I mean, yes there have been a few things that have me like :huh:, but that's just part of his charm. I wouldn't change anything about him at all. He's brilliant, he's the most incredibly talented person who's ever lived (IMO), he's creative, he's a compassionate, kind and caring person who tries to make the world a better place. He's helped a lot of people in so many ways, and he's created beautiful music, and he's an amazing dancer and performer. What could I possibly create in my mind that was better than that? lol

oh and also, him having faults and flaws and being a human being like the rest of us just makes him even more real and likeable. I love him!

He's only a projection 0f my self-judgments and thoughts...

I don't know him, and never will, and I know him as a reflection of myself.

Michael Jackson... uhm...

you're my anger when I'm restricted by fearing my own power,
my compassion and love when I'm compassionate towards myself,

and always a celebrity and all of the above.

Love you MJ!

I do however know that he needs to get off just like everyone else, and has no idea why and can't control it...
I don't need to fear his castration in order to know that he has a penis.

Last edited:
I couldn't possibly want more from him.....

There is no "dream version" , HE is the dream.

Please don't use this as a platform to discuss your rights not to like all of his actions. No one likes anyone's actions or behaviors 100% 24/7. But, you accept the faults and put those behind the good things.

Are you able to do such or do you think that for you his faults are more important and therefore don't like the man as he is (again, to the extent that we as fans know him) and would rather change him to suit your preferences?

I'm asking because I get the sense that there are many of the latter out there. For those in this group, can you even admit that what is viewed by you as faults may not be so by him and if so does this make him wrong in your view versus simply being different from you?

I would like to know the absolute real Michael. The one that burps and farts. The one that picks his teeth in the morning - or has someone else do it. My fantasy Michael went out with the trash a long time ago - I am a realist. And I'd like to know and love the Real Michael. The one with the outrageous sense of humor at times, as well as the sensitive Michael. All sides of him. Yes, he is a human being, one that needs to be cuddled and held sometimes in really bad times when things do not look good for him at all...

In looking back at this thread I guess I got waaaay o/t - so I'll quote Whimpy from Popeye, "I yam what I yam" and Michael is who he is and its alright with me.

Interesting topic btw! :flowers:

Last edited:
I always saw the real MJ, very clear for me, he never make me wonder ( God know why )

I only wonder just about some people, why they see him in a wrong way? hmmm *shrugs*

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a "dream" Michael. Michael is Michael. We can't change nothing so why would we even think about it. If there's people who have "dream versions" of Michael then I question their sanity. I dream of Michael to do things with his music, I have no control over what he does with his face. So what.

GREAT question.

So many fans should think about this question.
Who are you fan of; the real Michael or your dream version of him?

But naturally everyone has their image of Michael, cause noone thinks alike, and everyone has different info. And I've wondered, who has the most accurate image of who he really is? I guess we'll never know.
But all we can do is to listen to him, and his music. But from that we wont know the faults, so we'll have to take a look at his actions also. But as I do with everyone around me - my friends and family - I allways try to emphasize and remeber the good things about them, not the bad. Cause noone is perfect, and people just have to remember that.

I like the REAL MJ!!! I wouldn't want to be his fan any other way. In my dreams he is in his BAD era, hehe!

Back