2008 Grammy Inductees: Thriller and Off the Wall

TSCM

Proud Member
Today GRAMMY.com announced the 2008 Hall of Fame inductees, and they include Michael Jackson's Thriller and Off the Wall.

NEWS RELEASE

2008 GRAMMY HALL OF FAME® INDUCTEES ANNOUNCED

The Recording Academy® Honors Timeless Recordings, from "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing") to "Roxanne"

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (Dec. 19, 2007) — The Recording Academy® announced the newest additions to its GRAMMY Hall Of Fame®, adding 70 recordings to a timeless list that now includes 798 titles. The Hall Of Fame serves as a celebration and reminder of the triumphs and achievements of the recording arts. Selections are drawn from all categories of music, acknowledging the diversity of musical expression for which The Recording Academy has become renowned.

"The GRAMMY Hall of Fame is one of The Academy's most prized endeavors, spotlighting recorded musical masterpieces that have significantly impacted our musical history," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "This year's inductees span nine decades and represent a diverse array of genres from classical and show tunes to blues, jazz and rock and roll. They exemplify the best qualities that make the recording arts such a vital part of our culture — and each not only uniquely reflects the zeitgeist of its time, but also possesses the enduring power of transcending time."
The selections range from 1905's "Give My Regards To Broadway" by Billy Murray to Michael Jackson's 1982 album Thriller. Sixteen of the new entries came from the classical field including such recordings as Arturo Toscanini's 1953 Verdi: Otello, Otto Klemperer's 1963 Mahler: Symphony No. 2, Arthur Fiedler's 1935 Gade: "Jalousie," Vladimir Horowitz's 1932 Liszt: Sonata In B Minor and Arthur Nikisch's 1914 Beethoven: Symphony No. 5. Other recordings also chosen this year include the Mamas & The Papas' "Monday Monday," the Beatles' "Help!," Marian Anderson's "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands," Cabaret — Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, Dionne Warwick's "Alfie," Jackie DeShannon's "What The World Needs Now Is Love," Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird," and Louis Armstrong's "St. Louis Blues." Other artists with selections include Fred Astaire, Pink Floyd, Etta James, Billy Joel, the Police, Frank Sinatra, Sister Sledge, Barbra Streisand and Willie Nelson.
The GRAMMY Hall Of Fame was created in 1973 to honor recordings of lasting significance that were issued prior to the 1958 inception of the GRAMMY Awards. The Hall is now open to any recording that has been in release for at least 25 years. New submissions are chosen annually by a special member committee of experts and historians drawn from all branches of the recording arts. Their recommendations are approved by the Board of Trustees of The Recording Academy. The GRAMMY Hall Of Fame is unique in that it is open to all genres of music — popular as well as specialized forms.

OFF THE WALL
Michael Jackson
Epic (1979)
Pop (Album)

THRILLER
Michael Jackson
Epic (1982)
Pop (Album)

Full List: PDF / DOC

Announcement: PDF / DOC

REMINDER: Thriller 25th Anniversary Edition is released in the USA on February 12th, and the GRAMMYs air live on February 10th.

thanks.. SO we they INDUCT an album to they announce it at the award show.. Or just automatically inducted

so do they have a event for this. ie mj attending something?

This is fabulous news. Big Ups To Michael!

This will tie in very nicely with the promotion for the NEW release of Thriller. Ain't it grand, how these things work out. LOL!

Very good news! I have a feeling that Thriller will be honored on the live grammy broadcast! :)

Very good news! I have a feeling that Thriller will be honored on the live grammy broadcast! :)
That would be simply delicious.

Does anyone know if the albums have to be out a certain number of years before they're inducted? (never mind, just saw that they have to be out at least 25 years.) Never knew that they had a Grammy Hall of Fame for albums.

Last edited:
write in your diary to keep february 10th free then! ya know just in case:p
Michael is going to be 50 next year-it seems strange to type that, and its the 50th grammy awards and these albums are going into the hall of fame AND Thriller 25 is being released, isn't that kind of perfect? :) Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
I think at the grammy's it would be a perfect time to bring more attention to 'THRILLER 25' and announce his NEW FULL ALBUM..

:kickass: And I'm glad they inducted "Off the Wall" too.

I'm also happy "We Are Family", "Alfie", "Shining Star" and "The Wallflower" all got Grammy inductions.

This will tie in very nicely with the promotion for the NEW release of Thriller. Ain't it grand, how these things work out. LOL!

And I'm glad they inducted "Off the Wall" too.

I'm also happy "We Are Family", "Alfie", "Shining Star" and "The Wallflower" all got Grammy inductions.

:yes: :clap:Yay!!! :tongue:

I'm tellin' y'all Something HUGE is gonna happen on Feb. 10th! :D

write in your diary to keep february 10th free then! ya know just in case:p
Michael is going to be 50 next year-it seems strange to type that, and its the 50th grammy awards and these albums are going into the hall of fame AND Thriller 25 is being released, isn't that kind of perfect? :) Looking forward to it!
And, Quincy Jones is the official ambassador of the event :)

The selections range from 1905's "Give My Regards To Broadway" by Billy Murray to Michael Jackson's 1982 album Thriller

It's nice and fitting that this peice was used as part of the example.
It really stands out.
Yeah, there seems to be a lotta MJ's stuff stirring around.

Thanks TSCM :)

yep.. feeling the same thing..

those remixes are going to get mad play on radio... if Sony have their way...

I am s0000000000 ready for this... been waiting since 2001.....

Last edited:
And if we are already hearing all of this Michael buzz now....and Christmas hasn't even passed yet, then I can easily see how Michael is gonna be on the brain straight outta Jan 1st, 2008! Michael is gonna rule 2008, yall!

He is gonna be everywhere....tv, radio, internet, ipods!

Both albums deserve the recognition.

Congratulations to Michael for music that continues to remain popular and inspirational to others.

Both albums deserve the recognition.

Congratulations to Michael for music that continues to remain popular and inspirational to others.

"Billie Jean" and "Beat It" may be inducted next year as singles hopefully. Remember, a song and/or an album gotta be over 25 years old to be considered.

great Honor for all and it is long overdue because these two albums are two of the Most and Greatest Important albums ever. MJ Performing maybe to tie it all in and jump a buzz for a tour and new album?? stay tunned.

Well, I got my calendar marked for Feb 10th for the Grammies.

If he IS gonna perform, I would expect that we will start hearing buzz about it after the first of the year.

But something tells me he is not gonna perform. Instead, we may see this huge tribute to him by other people.

I think Michael is gonna sit back and absorb all the accolades he is gonna get from Thriller. Then he is gonna focus on the new album and putting it in the forefront for all summer and fall. Then we will see him perform for Grammies 09.

good news!
i can't believe Michael will be 50 next year.but he looks a lot better and full of energy then 10 years ago so YOU GO MIKE!

^^ I know I was thinking about that today.. 50?!?!?! Time goes by so fast

Back