Man, PHUCK A THRILLER 25, this is a better MJ tribute!

troubleman84

Proud Member
Rhymefest and others to release dedication album to Michael Jackson

man_in_the_mirror_front.jpg

NEW MUSIC! MICHAEL JACKSON DEDICATION ALBUM FOR YOU!

Well comrades, the time has come.

For all of my talk about revolution and what it means, the time has come for me to put true action behind those words. Let me lay out the Rhymefest Guerilla Strategy.

On December 15, I will be releasing the Michael Jackson dedication mixtape album entitled MAN IN THE MIRROR featuring Talib Kweli, Little Brother, Wale and many others.

This was very important to me, seeing how Michael Jackson is responsible for a revolution in music that took place when he dropped a s**t-bomb on the planet called THRILLER. It's only right that I pay homage to the pop equivalent of what EL CHE will bring the s**t bomb.

Now don't go thinking I did some cheesy ish, you know... just rapping over Thriller, Billie Jean, the standard classics. Oh no, my brothers and sisters: we dug in the archives for this one.

We got Mike jams that you may not even remember, as well as some unreleased ish that I know you have never heard before.. I mean, we got Michael joints remixed by some of hip-hop's best producers: Mark Ronson, Emile, 9th Wonder & Best Kept Secret. And, just to get you ready for what's going to happen, head over to my MySpace profile at myspace.com/rhymefest, and preview the joint "NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE" featuring Talib Kweli and the hot back-and-forth between myself and up-and-coming DC rapper Wale on "GET UP". Don't forget to check out "FOOLIN' AROUND"; that should be self-explanatory.

Check out the album cover [and on my profile pic], and don't fail to read it closely. Oh yeah: mixed by Allido's own DJ Mark Ronson.

Let it be known: This is the first dedication album ever made like this. Anybody else who attempts to do it is a ****** biter.

Get ready for EL CHE. It's on the way. But first, December 15: MAN IN THE MIRROR. Check my MySpace profile then to see how to get your copy. Spread the word.

GET PLUGGED!

Peace,
Fest

http://myspace.com/rhymefest

Sure beats Fergie. :p

Last edited:
All I gotta say is if they gonna mess with MJ's stuff--make sure he's getting paid for it!

All I gotta say is if they gonna mess with MJ's stuff--make sure he's getting paid for it!

Well the songs "previewed", I think Hal Davis and Norman Whitfield and Carlton Davis would be paid for the samples so it's ALL GOOD! Mike getting paid through Sony/ATV, MIJAC and ish. He's okay with it. :lol:

Is this a digital release only or will it be out on CD?

Last edited:
From CHICAGO?! My hometown! Cool!! I like it. Damn!!! Foolin around is hot!!!!

Last edited:
I'm gonna buy this insted of Thriller 25 since i already have Thriller :p

....and I thought I was the only fan in chicago. lol We should meet up or something.

Nope youre not :) SeanK lives close by as well. We should definitely meet up some time. Where were u guys during the trial? :lol: I was all alone freakin out all by my lonesome on verdict day :lol:

Last edited:
Nope youre not :) SeanK lives close by as well. We should definitely meet up some time. Where were u guys during the trial? :lol: I was all alone freakin out all by my lonesome on verdict day :lol:

I was at home, because there was no school. I was crying and nervous and shaking lol. Then when he was found not guilty I ran outside in my pajamas like a crazy man saying I TOLD YOU ALL!!!! I TOLD YOU!! I KNEW ITTT!!! HES NOT GUILTYYY!! INNOCENT MAN!! HES FINALLY FREE!!! lol

Where you you live in Chicago? I live in the south suburbs.

So...i went to the rhymefest myspace website. Is he actually releasing a CD? or are we only able to listen to these tracks online?
The track "Fooling Around" is way cool!

good point.. 1st thing I thought.. but for some reason.. i am sure they HAD to get approval from Mike to do this.. even for the J5 stuff.. because anything post 1980...Mike and his bros suppose to get paid for..

this is nice to see... this mixtape will have Mike ringing out with the 'underground' sound... but still loving and welcoming T25...Mike will be ringing 'over' ground.. on the top40/pop stations.. again...

Last edited:
I like the music to never can say goodbye but I don't like rap that much. I can't listen to just a rap album its gotta be more singing or equal singing in order for me to get into a song. But it's nice of him to do a tribute. Am all for ppl showing mike love, all for it.

man_in_the_mirror_front-1.jpg

Rhymesfest has officially pressed the start button on Michael Jackson's anticipated major 2008 Return with this Tribute Mixtape dedicated to the one and only forever true King of Popular Music (see the cover above).

I was fortunate to participate in a rare promotional sneak preview of the entire compilation, you may check out my review in my blog at my MySpace www.myspace.com/kyootee.

Plus you are encouraged to visit www.myspace.com/rhymefest for further info on obtaining your copy of this Monster Mixtape... an extraordinary lesson in old school culture blended smoothly with modern hiphop.

This is a definate Thriller and must have for any fan of good (MJ & urban) music! Support Rhymefest's effort featuring Talib Kweli, Little Brother, Wale and many others.

Happy Thriller25 everyone!!! Get plugged NOW.

Last edited:
My favorite track is "Coolie High (a/k/a Camp Lo Freestyle)" because it samples one of my favorite Thriller joints: "Lady in My Life" cleverly. :listeningtomusic

Here's the tracklisting:
1.) The Cipher (samples parts of Michael's interview with Oprah where he briefly performs "Who Is It" on acapella and a beatbox rhythm)
2.) Can't Make It (samples "You Can't Win" - the "Wiz" film/soundtrack version)
3.) Thriller Skit (samples parts of "Thriller Voice-Over Session")
4.) Get Up (feat. Wale) (samples "Hum Along & Dance")
5.) Dancin' Machine (The Jackson 5 feat. Rhymefest) (sample is self-explanatory, lol)
6.) Flip It Skit (samples parts of "Living with Michael Jackson")
7.) Never Can Say Goodbye (feat. Talib Kweli) (again, self-explanatory of the sample)
8.) Mike the Mentor (Rhymefest w/Michael Jackson) (samples parts of "LWMJ")
9.) No Sunshine (samples "Ain't No Sunshine")
10.) Caught Up Skit (samples LWMJ)
11.) Foolin' Around (feat. Dres) (samples "Don't Let Your Baby Catch You" by the J5)
12.) Set the Mood (samples "I Can't Help It" and Smokey Robinson's "Quiet Storm")
13.) Breakadawn (feat. Daniel Merriweather and Alpha)
14.) Windbreaker Skit (samples LWMJ interview)
15.) Higher Intro
16.) Higher (both songs sample "Wanna Take You Higher" from Goin' Back to Indiana sdtk)
17.) Mark vs. Mike (samples LWMJ interview)
18.) All That I've Got Is You (w/Ghostface Killah & Mary J. Blige) (samples actual track which sampled "Maybe Tomorrow")
19.) Maybe Tomorrow (Jackson 5 feat. Rhymefest)
20.) Sunshine Skit
21.) Coolie High (Camp-Lo feat. Rhymefest) (both songs sample "Lady In My Life")
22.) Family Reunion (feat. Tito, Randy, Mike & Rhymefest) (samples "Surprise Song")
23.) Much Love skit (samples LWMJ)
24.) Man in the Mirror (sample is self explanatory)

:listeningtomusic

I honestly can't stop bumping mine in my car... and peeps hear the MJ Tribute and inquire who this is and where to obtain a copy. Rhymefest definately deserves MJ fan appreciation and respect for this one... it's a true gift. I love the entire CD even every litlle skit in between tracks. Nice mixture of everything from laughter to tears. This is one hot Cd every MJ and/or hip-hop fan MUST have. I want to buy them and T25 as presents for all my loved ones this year. Nothing else, but T25 and Rhymefest LOL. People are going to hate me or love me come they birthdays and next Christmas. Hahaha. Rhymefest certainly pressed the start botton on Michael's Musical Comeback in 2008. Thank you Fest!!!

If you don't have yours... you NEED to GET PLUGGED! Ya Heard.

Rhymefest's MySpace Bulletin 1/3/08:

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has downloaded my MAN IN THE MIRROR dedication album, and I know that you are enjoying Hip-Hop as it is intended to be heard.

This album was made because I am a fan of not only Michael Jackson, but of great music, in general. I have been listening [recently] to some of the remixes of MJ's 25th anniversary of THRILLER, and my analysis is that they're... aight... but personally, as a fan, I expected a bit more. I put my heart into this **** and took a risk to bring you an edgy, creative, refreshing perspective of Michael Jackson in rare form.

He is the muthafucking King of Pop, man! He is the father of any artist you perceive to be a pop star, running around the music industry today. Mike has a chance [with his new project] to show his children how it should be done.

I feel as though [right now] everybody is playing it safe. You know: the regular cast of characters. I would love to speak to Michael Jackson as a fan to say "One album. One producer. Two, at most."

Anything else runs the risk of sounding like a mixtape. Remember: I'm only speaking as a fan.

I mean, damn: how hot would it be to hear Michael Jackson over a Just Blaze track or a Dap Kings instrumental? Hell, even The Roots? With Timbaland at the helm as the executive producer? That's the edginess I'm talking about. I know this may never happen, but a rapper can dream, can't he?

I don't, however, believe that my desire to meet with the king should be restricted to just a dream. And for this, I need your help.

I would like to meet Michael Jackson. And hopefully, all of you will make enough noise about this dedication album to reach his ears high on the throne. I would like to reenact our 'cipher' skit live on camera.

I would like to ask him some real questions, respectfully, that I know no one has ever asked him. Naw. Matter of fact, you know what? I am going to meet Michael Jackson, so please stay tuned as I petition through letters, blogs and public pleas to meet one of the greatest musicians of our time, Michael Jackson!

Peace,
Fest

When I first heard this compilation I was extremely touched at times, because I sensed a strong fanship as though Fest is speaking to Michael and the public from my own heart and mind. It would mean a lot for me if this man could get the opportunity to meet Mr. Jackson, because I appreciate what he has done in Michael's honor. I am not sure how mixtapes and underground music really gets promoted, but if my local urban radio stations had a copy of the Man In The Mirror comilation, can they add it to their playlist or premeir this Cd on air? I wish more people could hear this, that's all... not necessarily just because of its positive representation for Michael Jackson and us fans, but also because this is great music! Once more this Cd is my new instant favorite and I am blowing it up!

---Sean

For those who are not sure where to get this album/mixtape yet, since the start of the new year it has been freely available for download on Rhymefest' official store:

http://rhymefeststore.com/catalog/

Is this legit? I mean, is he meaning to give this away for free. i was under the impression the free download was given to select persons participating in a limited promotional opportunity? Correct me if I am wrong. If it is truly okay to freely download I will spread the word. I want people to hear this, but I also would like the artist to receive his fair compensation for this nice tribute and wonderful support of our man... the only way to show other similar artists how successful something like this can be for them to do is to endorse it properly, ya know what I mean?

Is this legit? I mean, is he meaning to give this away for free?

Well, I checked out the link in question and I guess that it is his website, so it must be legit. I am just surprised that he isn't wanting anything for this great album. Rhymesfest is the ****! He definately earned a new fan in me :cool:

That's the beauty of online mixtapes, you can give 'em out for free and not be too worried about having to risk paying for it to get it. Him doing this is his way of spreading love his way musically. Some independent artists do that.

Back