From "Big Boy" to...: Michael's recording career turns 40 next year

troubleman84

Proud Member
In January 1968, nine-year-old Michael Jackson officially made his recording debut on the Jackson 5's first song, the Steeltown-released, Atco-distributed "Big Boy". Featuring soulful vocals from a little boy who just four years earlier had started something of a career playing congas with his four older brothers, no one had any idea that the record would start a music industry empire.

With its 40th anniversary coming next year, this officially marks Michael Jackson's 40th anniversary as a recording artist and star. In performances that year, he became a national R&B star due to his dancing, singing and fronting the Jackson 5, who were on their way to fame at Motown Records.

Next year, Michael will be 50 and is expected to come back and release an album and perform. I'm actually thinking this ain't really about "Thriller 25", this is about Michael reaching 40 years of an amazing professional career.

People shouldn't get the ages twisted:

Mike did sing, not professionally but on stage, at five.
He joined his brothers as a percussionist at six.
Became a "co-lead" vocalist of the J5 (alongside Jermaine) at seven.
First performed at the Apollo at eight.
Recorded and released his first single (with the J5) at NINE.
Began recording with Motown at 10 and was barely 11 when "I Want You Back"/"Who's Loving You" was released.

All of this build-up eventually led up to "the sh*t bomb" that he exploded all over the world.

Instead of me bashing "Thriller 25", let's celebrate Michael "Big MAN" Jackson's 40th anniversary as a professional entertainer.

It's a celebration, BISHES!!!!! :lol:

That's the spirit!!!! Its amazing to think 40 years and the world still wants to know what this man is up to next etc!!! What an achievement!

The video that started it all BEFORE THE "THRILLER":

default.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3joe0GdTA

Watch Mike doing something he's never done on stage SINCE: "the splits"! The scene in "American Dream" was only that: a RE-ENACTMENT. This is still breathtaking stuff. A NINE-YEAR-OLD THAT CAN DANCE! B)

The date: July 13, 1968
The place: The Motown headquarters in Detroit

Last edited:
That's the spirit!!!! Its amazing to think 40 years and the world still wants to know what this man is up to next etc!!! What an achievement!

:yes: Back in '68, the biggest headline was them winning (or I should say HEADLINING) the Apollo and releasing "Big Boy".

Last edited:
Great Thread T Man. when I hear Bad Boy I hear Smokey Robinson on a Young Kid and that is powerful to the ear and soul. oh Michael Jackson is a Mount Rushmore Giant Genius and One of a Kind. He is Da Kang of POP and Beyond. I love saying the Word Pop because they said a Black Man couldn't do it, but Michael Joe Jackson took the whole Damn World and made them know who he was.

40 years and ain't been another Artist like him since. I mean everybody that comes after him eats off his Musical plate. dude changed the course of music a few times.

Great Thread T Man. when I hear Bad Boy I hear Smokey Robinson on a Young Kid and that is powerful to the ear and soul. oh Michael Jackson is a Mount Rushmore Giant Genius and One of a Kind. He is Da Kang of POP and Beyond. I love saying the Word Pop because they said a Black Man couldn't do it, but Michael Joe Jackson took the whole Damn World and made them know who he was.

40 years and ain't been another Artist like him since. I mean everybody that comes after him eats off his Musical plate. dude changed the course of music a few times.

Amen to that, brother. :kickass:

Michael Jackson: Rocking our world for 40 Years. Bring it on Mike. 2008 is your year.

Last edited:
It's amazing how fast time flies!! And he just keeps gettin' better! Look out 2008!

Back