20th December News and Mentionings

magic

Proud Member
Unfortunately the last pics of Michael is more popular talks than recently leaked songs from Thriller 25. For known reasons I will not post links about the last pictures as they are all disgusting, full with rumors. But I'm gonna add that talk about recent leaks happens in this thread ;)

Mentionings:

Exclusive Profile: LOVERBOY'S MIKE RENO IS STILL WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND

The popular '80s band is back with a brand new album -- JUST GETTING STARTED -- and a new outlook on the recording industry

iF: Did you do okay in your dealings with your record label in the '80s?

RENO: With Columbia Records, Loverboy cut one of the best deals in the business, second to only Michael Jackson, who had the best deal in the record business as far as how much you get per record.

http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2552

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1996 - The "Daily Mirror" reported that Michael Jackson had signed a deal with Debbie Rowe that would pay her $1.25 million when their child was born, $280,000 a year for every year they were married and that he would pay her $2.3 million if the marriage failed.

2003 - About 600 people attended a family and friends party at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch. The party was aimed at showing support for Jackson after he was charge with seven counts of performing lewd and lascivious acts upon a child under 14 and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent.

A thrilling anniversary: 25 years since Jackson's biggest hit

Thursday, December 20, 2007

By Brian Dukes
Staff writer

It’s been 25 years since Michael Jackson released “Thriller” in December 1982.

It was an album that would elevate Jackson’s already bright star into the stratosphere, forever altering the musical landscape.

In case anyone’s forgotten its impact, here are a few “Thriller” facts to keep in mind:
  • “Thriller” spawned seven Top 10 hits, including three No. 1 singles — “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller.”
  • It spent 37 weeks at No. 1 and stayed on the Billboard charts for 122 weeks — more than two years.
  • It sold more than 104 million copies.
“It was actually the first album I ever owned,” said Al “the Van Man” Field, on-air personality for Rock 103.

“When you opened it up, Jackson was laying there with that tiger cub,” Field said. “I thought, ‘He’s so freakin’ cool.’”

Field, who used to put baby oil in his hair to make it as shiny as Jackson’s, said “Thriller” set a high bar both musically and creatively.

“His duet with Paul McCartney (on ‘The Girl Is Mine’) helped Michael pave the way for rock bands to collaborate with R&B, soul, pop and, later, rap acts,” Field said. Terrance “Big Abe” Abraham, agreed.

“Without Michael Jackson there would be no artists like Usher and Chris Brown,” said Abraham, who works as an on-air personality for WZFX-FM, Foxy99.

“Every R&B artist who sings, dances, and incorporates fashion into their act owes a lot to the trail Michael Jackson blazed,” Abraham said.

Abraham grew up listening to Jackson’s music. His mother bought him the same style of jacket that Jackson wore in the “Thriller” video.

Abraham remembered how ubiquitous Jackson’s “Thriller” was during the 1980s. “It was all you would hear on the radio for, like, two or three years,” Abraham said. “He was obviously very innovative, musically, and he helped bring white and black audiences together.”

Field agreed.

“Like few artists before him, Jackson really appealed to whites and blacks,” Field said. “That’s one reason why ‘Thriller’ was so huge.”

“And the video was terrifying at that age — but it was cool, because it was MJ,” Abraham said. “It was the first time a black man was the star of a music video — and the video’s success was incredible.”

Coupled with videos for “Beat It” and “Billie Jean,” Jackson’s “Thriller” video ushered in a new era of reaching new audiences.

The trio of videos helped fuel the album’s viral-like success, garnering award after award.

In January, 1984, Jackson received eight American Music Awards for Favorite Male Artist (Pop/Rock), Favorite Soul Artist (Soul/R&B), Favorite Pop/Rock Single (“Billie Jean”), Favorite Pop/Rock Album (“Thriller”), Favorite Pop/Rock Video (“Beat It”), Favorite Soul/R&B Album (“Thriller”), Favorite Soul/R&B Video (“Beat It”), and Special Award of Merit.

A month later, after being nominated for 12 Grammy Awards, Jackson won eight, breaking the record for the most Grammy awards won in a single year.

He won for Album Of The Year (“Thriller”), Record Of The Year (“Beat It”), Best Male Pop Performance (“Thriller”), Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (“Billie Jean”), Best Male Rock Vocal Performance (“Beat It”), Best New R&B Song (“Billie Jean”), Best Recording For Children (“E.T. The Extra Terrestrial” album narration by Michael Jackson), and Producer Of The Year (with Quincy Jones) for “Thriller.”

Abraham and Field said it’s easy to forget all of Jackson’s musical accolades and accomplishments in light of his antics and legal troubles.

In the two-and-a-half decades since “Thriller,” it seemed Jackson could do no wrong.

When Jackson releases a 25th anniversary edition of “Thriller” in February, he’ll certainly be hoping fans of his music forget the bad and remember the good.
The incredible music.
The out-of-this-world dance steps.
The glittering glove, the high-water pants, the white socks, the black pants.
The inevitably tossed fedora.
The hundreds of millions of dollars given to charity.
The Nobel Peace Prize nomination.
The boundless energy, stellar showmanship and infectious smile.
The Michael Jackson that inspired millions to practice the moonwalk for hours on slick floors.
The Michael Jackson the world fell in love with.
The most thrilling pop performer ever.

Staff writer Brian Dukes can be reached at dukesb@fayobserver.com or 323-4848 ext. 411.

[FONT=sans-serif, verdana]Copyright 2007 - The Fayetteville (NC) Observer
[/FONT]

http://www.fayobserver.com/print?id=280920&type=article

Last edited:
let the media alone and enjoy Thriller.for the moment this is what we all should do!

MJ mentionings:

another article about Thriller25:

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=280921
'Thriller' has something for everyone
Rodger Mullen

Has it really been a quarter-century since “Thriller”?
It has. The second-highest-selling album of all time was released Dec. 1, 1982, and forever put to rest the notion of Michael Jackson as The Cute Kid in the Jackson 5.
Although Jackson’s “Off the Wall” album of a couple years previous demonstrated that Jackson was no longer had the chipmunk-voiced pipsqueak of songs such as “ABC” and “Rockin’ Robin,” “Thriller” was the album that announced the arrival of a superstar.
In the months and even years after its release, it was impossible to get away from “Thriller.”
Just as “Billie Jean” peaked on the charts, “Beat It” was right behind. And when that song wore out its welcome, the title track became impossible to escape on radio and MTV.
“Thriller” had something for everyone. For fans of pure pop, there was “The Girl is Mine,” a sugar-sweet duet with Paul McCartney. For metal-heads who normally wouldn’t have been caught dead liking a Michael Jackson song, there was “Beat It” and its searing Eddie Van Halen guitar solo. For dance-floor denizens, there was “Billie Jean” and its percolating beat.
I was never a huge Michael Jackson fan, although I will confess to a weakness for the sappy “Got to Be There,” one of the young singer’s first hits from the ’70s. (There. I said it.)
When “Thriller” came out in 1982, I was more likely to be scouring the record store shelves for the latest Elvis Costello. Michael Jackson was a little too close to disco for my tastes.
But in 1982 and ’83, it didn’t matter if you were a Michael Jackson fan or not. You were going to be familiar with most of the record’s songs. They were everywhere.
Probably no one album since The Beatles’ heyday united listeners the way “Thriller” did. And The Beatles didn’t have MTV to further hype their songs.
With today’s splintering of the music market, when more and more people get their music via computer downloads, it’s likely no single album ever will have “Thriller’s” across-the-board impact.
Although I never bought “Thriller,” my wife did. We’ve still got it, although I’ll bet it has been 20 years since we’ve played it.
Knowing how his story played out, it’s kind of sad to see the confident young Michael Jackson portrayed on the album cover. Contrast that with the ghostly image of the latter-day Jackson, his skin unnaturally pale, his nose sliced to a nub by plastic surgery.
Although no one could know it for sure at the time, “Thriller” was Jackson’s high-water mark.
Albums such as “Bad” and “Dangerous” sold very well, but none could match the impact of “Thriller.” Then there were the allegations of sexual activity with minors, and suddenly the moon-walking dynamo that was the 1982 model Jackson seemed a distant memory, replaced by something creepy and sad.
Periodically, some rumor surfaces about a Michael Jackson comeback. He’s recording tracks for a new album, or he’s rehearsing for a tour.
These rumors never seem to come to fruition, and it’s probably just as well. There’s no way a Michael Jackson of 2007 or ’08 could hold a candle to the 1982 version.
Staff writer Rodger Mullen can be reached at mullenr@fayobserver.com or 486-3561.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bal-li.popstory20dec20,0,228054.story
Terius Nash is realizing the dream
Songwriter behind hits for Rihanna and Celine Dion releases debut

By Melanie Sims | associated Press
[...]
Did you always want to be an artist?

Everybody wants to be an artist. I grew up in the '80s. You know -- Michael. ... Everybody wanted a red jacket with zippers on it. Everybody wanted a glove. I remember my mom bought me a Michael Jackson CD.

It is almost amusing how the media is so determined to find something negative to report. Michael really frustrates them. No matter what they say, no matter what happens in his life - he keeps coming back. He keeps coming back strong. I can hear them screaming "stay down, damnit!! stay down!"

But as Michael says 'and when you bury me beneath all your pain, I'm steady laughing (hah) while surfacing . . .'

Rock on Michael.

It is almost amusing how the media is so determined to find something negative to report. Michael really frustrates them. No matter what they say, no matter what happens in his life - he keeps coming back. He keeps coming back strong. I can hear them screaming "stay down, damnit!! stay down!"

But as Michael says 'and when you bury me beneath all your pain, I'm steady laughing (hah) while surfacing . . .'

Rock on Michael.

:lol: Say THAT!!!

Last edited:

Rock on Michael.

HOLLA!

You just can't keep a good man down. I absolutely LOVE IT!

Like Jesse Jackson said in the recent JET article regarding Michael: "ONE CAN EASILY UNDERESTIMATE HIS STRENGTH AND HIS DETERMINATION."

HOLLA!

You just can't keep a good man down. I absolutely LOVE IT!

Like Jesse Jackson said in the recent JET article regarding Michael: "ONE CAN EASILY UNDERESTIMATE HIS STRENGTH AND HIS DETERMINATION."
And that too is when you know the man is innocent. Cause when you are guilty you are always afraid that you mght be exposed, but when you have nothing to be afraid of, you can face your enemy and laugh in their face, cause you are not afraid of them, in fact they are afraid of Michael because they don't know how he has managed to survive and still keep on going despite all the odds.He really makes them look a fool.

Last edited:

Rock on Michael.

Wow, I had no Idea he had said "surfacing" Okay then! My boy is BOLD!

Rock on Michael.
Cheers to that! ^_^

That man is going to suprise everyone, right down to the worst critics walking this planet *snap*

Back