Lee Thomas supports Michael!

His story is extremely interesting to say the least. I'm glad he's so open and honest about it. He has a great personality and very funny too lol.

Wow. I hope people really pay attention. Vitiligo is REAL.

And it kinda makes me feel even more for Michael.

I think Lee Thomas will really help a lot of people who have vitaligo, and other disorders as well. I hope people will find comfort and support in him telling his story.

It will be interesting to see how the media reacts to Lee Thomas and his book.
This is such a great interview. I liked it much better than the article.

He made so many points that a lot of us probably already knew, but it is different coming from an everyday guy:

How vitaligo affects extremities first, such as the hands, feet, eyes, nose, and mouth. He said he used to wear gloves in the summertime.

How a person who has it can suffer serious skin damage - even cancer - from being in the sun, as a result of having no pigmentation.

The different treatments: light treatments, creams, etc., and how for some, if it gets 80 percent of the body, the treatment is to bleach.

How if you stop treatment, pigment spots will come back.

How he felt his career was going so great at a young age, and how he thought it meant the end when he was diagnosed.

You know one of my favourite MJ lyrics is from Black and White. It goes: “I’m not gonna spend my life being a colour.” Maybe I am taking it out of context, but I always thought it had nothing to do with race per se, but rather that it was saying something like: “My culture, ethnicity and identity comes from my ancestors, and is not defined or dictated by colour. It will be here within me regardless of what my colour is. I am not a colour, but a person”.

Did you hear Lloyd Jackson say that his favourite quote from Lee Thomas’ book is: “This is one Black man’s story that is all about skin colour, yet has absolutely nothing to do with racism.” I think it’s a similar concept.

I am going to buy Lee Thomas’ book. If it’s not at my Borders, ( I was unclear about whether it will be at all Borders, and Barnes and Nobles stores, or only the ones in Michigan) I will request that they stock it.

Last edited:
^^ Totally agree with you, I will buy that book. Its always amazes me how some peeps like to claim that MJ wants to be 'white'. I mean if you think about it MJ sold most albums (Thriller) and at that time obviously the disease hadn't hit him so hard. So its not like his career was crap so he decided to turn 'white' in order to achieve success! Its crazy! Also he had his nose done back then (while majority of his skin was still black) the same way Janet did for example the only difference is that Janet doesn't have the disease.
Anyways some people 'are crazy'. I guess they don't want to see the truth of this disease despite MJ's admission coz in their eyes it makes too much sense. So if they ignore the real reason then they can continue to see him as 'weird' etc.

Below is what I wrote in a bulletin at my MySpace with the two videos accompanying. Not sure if many of you agree, but I asked that others forward this info on in their bulletins as well.

I know many fans get defensive discussing Michael's medical issues and cosmetic surgeries, but due to Michael's word and publicized medical records we do know that Michael Jackson does suffer from this disease and has for several, several years which initially began on his hand (which explains the single glove to mask vitiligos early stages as Lee Thomas also explained).

For some reason many can't seem to stop teasing and treating Michael like a freak and as if he made a conscious choice to acquire this disorder. Without invading Michael's privacy, I chose to share these sets of videos with all in my contact lists and on MySpace friends to forward on and on in hopes of conceiving compassion, understanding, acceptance and even more love for Michael Jackson as well as others whom suffer this problem.

Maybe something like this puts a more approachable human face to this potentially emotionally crippling skin disorder. Maybe people can FINALLY grow up by quitting telling or laughing at the perverted kid and horrible white jokes at Mr. Jackson's character expense or staring at the black woman who appears to be a burn victim in the Doctor's Office.

Please repost this to start spreading the truth... if you feel we have heard, told and maybe even laughed at enough misleading jokes and blatant lies causing this decent human being to suffer humiliation and blame at the sole expense of fueling our (the entire human race's) hunger for propoganda, controversy, sales. ratings, scandal and entertainment value.

Think about it, I am sure that is all he has ever wanted to is to create magic through song, dance and show, plus to be appreciated or atleast respected.

Please Repost If You Have a Heart, Are Man Or Woman Enough To Admit That You May Have Always Gotten It All Wrong, Have Laughed, Joked Or Misunderstood Someone, Anyone W/ This Disorder Or Any Disorder, Disease, Or Disability Or Just To Show You Care To Spread Positive, Informative And True Information To The Mass Misinformed Public About Michael Jackson, Lee Thomas and/or Vitiligo.

I'm liking Lee Thomas more and more. And not just because he supports Michael. I like Lee because it took alot of courage for him to write that book. And also because he is just a nice person too.

And to think MJ has had to endure so much ridicule and teasing for the last 20 years over a disease he has no control over.

Interesting thread, nice that Lee Thomas supports Michael when it comes to this very difficult and tough situation.

Last edited:
I'm gonna watch the videos later, but it's good to see someone who suffers from the same disorder to lend his support. Michael's really had to endure so much ridicule over this for so long, it's good when someone who can relate to him speaks out. People never think about the emotional turmoil and trauma this sort of, basically, disfiguring disease can have on a person, a general, every day person, let alone someone like Michael, whose entire life and means of living is based on showing himself, exposing himself to thousands, millions, and even billions of people, being the most famous and recognizable person on the planet. Think of how hard it would be to even tell anyone you had vitiligo when you're the biggest star in the world and all people have ever done is look at you and expected you to look good., when your image is plastered all over the world, for everyone to oogle at. It's messed up and I can't really even imagine how much Michael really suffered over it and probably still does.

Last edited:
It's messed up and I can't really even imagine how much Michael really suffered over it and probably still does.
I believe he does, and with all that he's been through about it all, he's tried to cope. And I think he was still brave enough to continue on with his dreams and aspirations no matter if 6 billion people were pointing fingers. He still had his mind set. Though, I believe he showed how much it hurt and affects him a lot of the time. :(

I used to know this lady who had the disease(she's dead now) and everyone thought she had gotten burnt all over. People used to point at her and make fun but she was still kind to everyone she knew and soon she became special and more noticeable more than anything all because of looking past the appearance and not thinking that color is what makes a person. It is the heart that makes a person who they truly are.

I could only see that Mr. Thomas, Michael Jackson and that lovely lady all have great hearts.

Last edited:
I always have the feeling that people don't understand alot of things about Michael because they don't WANT to. Michael has explained things again and again in every interview he's given since 1993. And yet, I'm constantly hearing people say "I don't get Michael Jackson. Why does he do this?" Or "Why did he do that?". Then more often than not, they argue with you because the answers aren't what they want to hear. And about the vitiligo issue, they don't want to hear that it is something beyond his control because then they'd have to deal with the fact that they jumped the gun with the criticism and got it wrong. It amazes and saddens me that so many people act like they have Michael all figured out. And that they feel they have a right to treat him like dirt. It's sickening. I hope Lee Thomas manages to open some eyes with his book. Alot of folks need to wake up.

Last edited:
^^ Totally agree with you, I will buy that book. Its always amazes me how some peeps like to claim that MJ wants to be 'white'. I mean if you think about it MJ sold most albums (Thriller) and at that time obviously the disease hadn't hit him so hard. So its not like his career was crap so he decided to turn 'white' in order to achieve success! Its crazy! Also he had his nose done back then (while majority of his skin was still black) the same way Janet did for example the only difference is that Janet doesn't have the disease.
Anyways some people 'are crazy'. I guess they don't want to see the truth of this disease despite MJ's admission coz in their eyes it makes too much sense. So if they ignore the real reason then they can continue to see him as 'weird' etc.

:yes: or...... they could continue to see him as 'wanting to be white' whether its white ppl who have the gall to think he wanted to be 'like them' or black people who want to think he denied his race.

I'm so glad Mr. Thomas did this. Something about him reminds me so much of pre-Thriller MJ. - that spark of natural enthusiasm and sweet candor about him. (of course MJ still has all that)

Thank God those who see this man's work will understand MJ better. This couldn't have come at a better time too. I love how "all things work together for the good..."

God is so special :wub:

Last edited:
That was great to listen to. I don't think Mike could have ever been so frank about his condition. Image is such a big thing for a pop star to maintain. It's nice to see someone showing photos of what this disease does. This guy really seems to be getting a lot of attention too.

I finally got to watch it. Lee is a great, great guy. Really sweet and brave. He was in the entertainment field as well, as a TV host, so I'm sure he can relate a great deal to some of what Michael had to endure, although not to quite the extent, because it was thousands watching Lee while billions are watching Michael. But it was great of him to vouch for Michael and talk in depth about observing the disease in him.

Its obvious Michael suffers from the exact same thing as Lee and it’s disheartening that people still don't believe him, despite extensive proof to back it up. Even some fans still don't believe him.

And what Lee mentioned too, about the people who suffer from universal vitiligo, in which it takes away the pigmentation over 80% of your body, that's real, and that's obviously what Michael suffers. Being the most famous person on the planet and probably in modern history and having this disorder is no doubt a heavy, heavy weight to bare. I can't even imagine it, because no matter where you go, people will know your face and physical appearance, and when that appearance is being disfigured by a disease you have no control over, god it must be frightening.

People don't stop to think of how much it hurts someone when they make fun of them over something like this. The reason Michael didn't talk about it or reveal that he had it for so long was, I'm certain, for fear of being ridiculed and made fun of. That's the exact reason people suffer emotionally from it, they are afraid of being ostracized and rejected by society. And then for that very thing to happen to Michael, to BE made fun of, it just must have made it all the worse.

I know people can say 'Well, Michael should have said something sooner, and then people wouldn't have made fun of him.' But can you blame Michael for trying to hide it, for trying to keep on like he didn't have a skin condition, in his profession, in SHOW business? I don't think so, I know I can't, not when your face and name are as prevalent in the world as Michael's is, and not when you shy away from the spotlight to begin with and are insecure about your appearance anyway. And even after Michael explained what was wrong with him, people still didn't believe him or accept it. Many today STILL make fun and claim he's bleaching his skin. It's really lame.

But hopefully, Lee's book will enlighten some folks and they'll be more understanding and compassionate towards Michael and anyone who suffers from vitiligo.

Last edited:
I finally got to watch it. Lee is a great, great guy. Really sweet and brave. He was in the entertainment field as well, as a TV host, so I'm sure he can relate a great deal to some of what Michael had to endure, although not to quite the extent, because it was thousands watching Lee while billions are watching Michael. But it was great of him to vouch for Michael and talk in depth about observing the disease in him.

Its obvious Michael suffers from the exact same thing as Lee and it’s disheartening that people still don't believe him, despite extensive proof to back it up. Even some fans still don't believe him.

And what Lee mentioned too, about the people who suffer from universal vitiligo, in which it takes away the pigmentation over 80% of your body, that's real, and that's obviously what Michael suffers. Being the most famous person on the planet and probably in modern history and having this disorder is no doubt a heavy, heavy weight to bare. I can't even imagine it, because no matter where you go, people will know your face and physical appearance, and when that appearance is being disfigured by a disease you have no control over, god it must be frightening.

People don't stop to think of how much it hurts someone when they make fun of them over something like this. The reason Michael didn't talk about it or reveal that he had it for so long was, I'm certain, for fear of being ridiculed and made fun of. That's the exact reason people suffer emotionally from it, they are afraid of being ostracized and rejected by society. And then for that very thing to happen to Michael, to BE made fun of, it just must have made it all the worse.

I know people can say 'Well, Michael should have said something sooner, and then people wouldn't have made fun of him.' But can you blame Michael for trying to hide it, for trying to keep on like he didn't have a skin condition, in his profession, in SHOW business? I don't think so, I know I can't, not when your face and name are as prevalent in the world as Michael's is, and not when you shy away from the spotlight to begin with and are insecure about your appearance anyway. And even after Michael explained what was wrong with him, people still didn't believe him or accept it. Many today STILL make fun and claim he's bleaching his skin. It's really lame.

But hopefully, Lee's book will enlighten some folks and they'll be more understanding and compassionate towards Michael and anyone who suffers from vitiligo.

It's funny you said that. I remember Michael was mentioning in that Martin Bashir interview that when he ran into some fans or regular folks in an airport or somewhere, and the people saw him and was commenting about his looks. He said they said "Ewww" or "Ughh" referring to his looks. This was during the time he was a teenager suffering with a horrible case of acne as well as other physical awkwardness that most teenagers go through with their looks. The people that were making those insensitive remarks within earshot was shocked and disappointed that Michael Jackson no longer looked like the cute, adorable-looking little kid he was; but became a gangly, awkward-looking, acne stricken teenager. Not to mention how his father made fun of his nose and his pimples.

It obviously had an effect on him and this was before he started turning white. So I can only imagine how hard it was for Michael to come out publically about his vitiligo and showing people how he really looked without the makeup he was wearing. He already had first hand harsh experiences with the public before, he probably was scared he was going to get harshly judged again--especially since this was during the height of Thriller. And looking back on those times, I remember seeing him in those magazines and award shows and he always looked like he wore alot of makeup and I was one of those ones who wondered why. No I know why. He was trying to cover up those white patches that was stripping his beautiful brown complexion away. So when people saw the brown skinned Michael back then, they had no idea his complexion was being replaced by white patches. THen by the time BAD video and album came out and people noticed Michael was considerably lighter than he was before, (in addition to the nose jobs), the speculations, rumors and ill-informed remarks started to commence.

Yeah, it had to be really tough, and as you said, Michael's whole complex about his appearance even before that, with his father calling him names and just general rejection from the public, the whole child star trasition to an adult star. Everything proceeding his vitiligo probably only made him all the more sesative and aware of his physical appearance, let alone the vitiligo on its own.

Last edited:
thank you for sharing. I saw this diesase first hand as a kid and it is very serious and it spreads fast. I applaud Lee Thomas for speaking out and talking about it. very enlighten and direct.

You can see more video of Lee Thomas telling his story on the Fox 2 Detroit website. He talks about what it was like to first tell his story in 2005 and talks about his new book "Turning White". You can find the book online @ Amazon.com

I looked for the book yesterday @ Borders but they didn't have any copies in the store. The guy there said I'd have to order it b/c it wasn't something they'd carry. I'm going to go ahead and order it because it sounds like it'll be a great read.

I hope this will help MJ and that ppl will lay off of him. I actually have a friend who has it. She's white and it really affects her so I can only imagine what it would do to someone with a darker complexion.

Watch the video @ this link
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=7.1.1

41mzJd8zbXL._AA240_.jpg

There are people whose body does not respond neither to "cure" (that allows many to almost return their natural colour of skin), nor (or) to "bleaching".

Still some (even fans!) say that Jackson necessarily "bleached" his skin 8| :blink: They even say that simultaneously stating that "bleaching" is permanent and irreversible (though statistic denies it) while it is easily seen on some of Jackon's photos that he has spots.

I posted this in todays news thread, so I'll post it here too.

In this months issue of Jet Magazine, they have an article on Lee Thomas, the Detroit TV Newscaster who suffers from vitiligo, and he spoke briefely about Michael. Here's what he had to say.

"One celebrity Thomas has something in common with-but has never interviewed-is Michael Jackson. In 1993, Jackson told Winfrey that he has vitiligo... I completely understand [Michael Jackson] being reclusive... How would you like to be the most famous man on the planet, but if you aren't wearing your makeup, people don't know who you are."

"I do tell people the man has vitiligo. It started on my left hand, which is funny because he wore one glove. I completely understand it. He wore one glove because he was covering up spots of vitiligo, in my opinion. Then he wore two gloves... I wore gloves."

Also, some other quotes that are of interest.

"No one else in Thomas' family has the disorder, he said... "In about 20 percent of cases, it tends to run in the family," said Lim, Thomas' doctor. "The vast majority don't have any family members with vitiligo... It's an autoimmune disease. It isn't contagious and no one can catch it by touching or living with someone."

"Thomas said vitiligo can wreak havoc on you emotionally because of the way people treat you."

I think its interesting and good that this disease is now getting attention like it should, but at the same time, its sad, because Michael spoke out about having this disorder 15 years ago and nobody believed him or payed attention.

Last edited:
I posted this in todays news thread, so I'll post it here too.

In this months issue of Jet Magazine, they have an article on Lee Thomas, the Detroit TV Newscaster who suffers from vitiligo, and he spoke briefely about Michael. Here's what he had to say.

Also, some other quotes that are of interest.

I think its interesting and good that this disease is now getting attention like it should, but at the same time, its sad, because Michael spoke out about having this disorder 15 years ago and nobody believed him or payed attention.

wannabestartinsomthin21, thanks for the update. What I really appreciate about this site is the mature discussion of this and the sympathetic nature fans here take in regard to this delicate issue that Mike has battled with. MJJC much like MJJF has continued to be the best, most informative and truly respectful site of Michael. Continue the great work :flowers: because there are other so called "fan" sites that not only mocked Mike and called him a liar but they called Lee Thomas one as well, just plain said :(

I would also like to ask fans to comment and rate that video on Youtube to get it to the TOP of Youtube search engine pages - the videos get honors and pumped up as they recevie views comments and ratings - please help support this so more people will see it and be educated on the topic. Also if you run across sceptics refer them to it.

Please help us support these videos on Youtube.

Lee Thomas - Part 1 of 2 Turning White
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNRyfZoWPM

Lee Thomas - Part 2 of 2 Turning White
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzRbzG3B3o

Thanks
Mickie aka Qbees

Last edited:
Lee Thomas is on 20/20 tonight on the east coast. ABC; 10pm

promo said "the disease that Michael Jackson made famous"

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching. And I rated the videos on youtube as well. I really hope more people see this, because I get upset when people continue to believe that Michael bleached his skin. It's not even scientifically possible to bleach your skin to such an extent. You would either die from toxins if you tried and/or the skin would simply continue to regenerate its original pigment.

Back