Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?

I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc

well, i'm here in the states, not great britain.

and over here, the term is used only negatively. so yes, it's offensive.

that's calling him out his name. it's disrespectful to change the man's name

Is the term itself negative tho? Or is what else is made to rhyme with that is?

i've gotten to the point where the term j.acko is offensive in and of itself...

simply b/c of the connotation. here in the states, it's only been used as wacko j.acko... then they changed it up to just say 'j.acko' but that's when they think mike is doing something bizarre.

also, i've read too many stories that delve into the michael jackson as an artist and the 'j.acko' era. so yes, it's negative and offensive

It's an offensive term that Michael himself does not like and he's said so. Even his family have said so.

Go call Samuel Jackson or any other famous African American with that name and see what happens. Also, try and call any African American "wacko" on a daily basis as part of his name and see the response.

The media cannot do that. They feel that because of MJ's situation, they can get away calling him names. If it wasn't for MJ's vitiligo the media could not dare call him names. How many African American celebs do you see the media persisting with calling them derogatory names every day? They can do it once for a given story, but that's it. They cannot do it daily.

When Mike Tyson bit off Evander Holyfield's ear, that was the craziest thing. Why don't the media label him "Animal Tyson?" or "cannibal Tyson" or some other derogatory name? Because it then invokes name-calling African Americans have been subjected to, nigger and all that stuff.

Name-calling MJ is done on purpose by the media because they feel they can get away with it, no more, no less.

totally agree.. its like calling him the "N" word...

Yeah it rhymes with wacko and he only said 10 years ago to Barbara Walters that he's sick of people calling him that even though some news entertainment shows like E! News, Showbiz Tonight, Daily 10 and Extra still keep calling him that when they can use nicknames like MJ, mike jackson, the gloved one or king of pop without adding something in front of it.

I have noticed that some fans get upset when MJ is referred to as Jacko. The thing is that Jacko is a short for Jackson. Its used by the media/non-media to address people with the last name Jackson. Admittedly the media use it a lot for MJ. What I find offensive is when the term Jacko is used to rhyme with an offensive word in describing MJ e.g W**** Jacko and s*** like that.

I remember a very good British gymnast with last name Jackson who was called Jacko by the media. In fact he had fans/family with banner 'Go Jacko' etc.

Anyways what are your thoughts etc

I find it offensive.. MICHAEL JACKSON finds it offensive....but you know what? Using a term like that is IMMATURE and CHILDISH. It's like ME going back to SECOND GRADE with regards to name calling. The people who do this are IMMATURE and CHILDISH. I remember that. I feel sorry for those who insist on staying in an 8-year-old type of mentality, actually..AND it shows an INCREDIBLE amount of disrespect towards him. I find that so tragic...he never did anything to deserve this crap, yet he gets it day in day out...

Last edited:
It is offensive to me cause you're calling someone out of their name, if the same thing was done to me I would be highly upset and offended. Michael is a good person (IMO) and for him to be criticized like that is totally un-called for, people just find a reason to hate on him and why do they? because he's, extremely talented, broke more records than any other artist alone, and because he's Michael Jackson.

whilst I agree that it is offensive when it rhymes with something like W***o etc

Here in Australia Jacko, is short for Jackson. It's used in two positive lights usually, one being "my mate Jacko said that.." ... or it's just used as a quicker shorter way of saying a name. (we naturally shorten words and names). It can actually be used as a term of respect or mateship. You know they've fully accepted you when they ad an o or an a to your name ;) "Johnno wants us around for drinks" or "Azza (aaron) has a new job"

I've seen Jacko used inregards to Michael, and there has not been anything negative in the article.

Mind you we too can use it as a negative name, and the press here tend to do it when they've copied their news articles from either the UK or the states :yes:

:eek::eek::eek: Ok! I didn't know that!

ps. mod close this thread,
I am glad you opened it. I understand that for Australians for instance it is a term of endearment in a way and I believe it is the same for the British. I always consider the source. It is only when used with the second part that it bothers me. I hope by now that Michael knows it is not alway used maliciously and actually meant as a good thing sometimes. I do feel bad if it bothers Michael.

In all honesty I wonder sometime about referring to himn as Michael. That is a term of familiarity too. When Raymone Bain calls him Mr. Jackson instead of Michael it is giving respect where respect is due and it actually sounds good to me. So what is really correct? It is because Michael emotes so and gives so much in his perfomances that we feel familiar enough to call him Michael. It is a double edged sword. It is part of his magnetism and draw and also sometimes causes unwanted intrusions and expectations. I do not see how one term of familiarity (Michael) would be okay and not the other (Jacko).

totally agree.. its like calling him the "N" word...

funny you mentioned that. i thought the same thing too and wrote and performed a spoken word piece about it

(trust, it was fiyah! :D)

and like somebody else said, 'j.acko' is belitting IMO... this is definitely a cultural thing but i know many african americans who don't play around w/ you changing their name. touchy subject

Re: Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f

I HATE it! when people call him Jacko! I'm from the US and here it is OFFENSIVE! How hard is it to say Jackson? The media don't know him, they are not his family or friends what gives them the right to call him that? ...it is degrading his family name, to literally change the lettering of his NAME! This is like a slap in the face to WHO HE IS...the name of his father, mother, brothers and sisters, his children, nieces and nephews.
On a personal note...I'm black, my family name is Jackson so maybe I'm super sensitive on the matter.
It is about respect, it is Jack-son! thats the name on his grammys, on his albums, his world record certificates...when they bastardize his name its like they are stripping away his achievements...
which IMO is exactly what they want to do, they HATE that he has achieved so much so belittling his name is a childish last resort to hurt him and perpetuate the 'wacko' persona to the ignorant masses.

mJsig.jpg

Re: Do you get 'offended' by the name Jacko?[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f

If it offends and hurts Michael, then its wrong, plain and simple. If it offends him, it offends me, because if the person being subjected to it is pained by it and I care about that person, which I do Michael, then it pains me too.

Yes, I'm offended when FANS use it and act like ur crazy when ur offended. I mean it doesn't get any plainer than MJ saying "I'm not JACKO, I'm JACKSON". I mean it doesn't get any plainer than that. MJ doesn't like the word, so i'm not gonna use it. Plus the LEAST people can do is respect the man and call him by his proper name :rolleyes: I mean, i understand nicknames and things like that but "jacko' came out of the phrase "Wacko Jacko" and is obviously disrespectful.

I think it's like anything really, if you use it to mean offence or indifference to that person, it's wrong, doesn't matter what the word is or how you say it.

If it's just the way you talk or it's a cultural thing and you are using it as a way to show endearment or respect or mateship etc then surely it's acceptable on some level.

Mind you I wouldn't call Michael Jacko due to the fact that I know he doesn't like it.

You would think that the term itself isn't offensive, but it actually is because everyone associates it with 'wacko'.

I read an article the other day about Michael wearing tape on his face, and they constantly referred to him as Jacko. It's intentionally disrespectful. It helps to make a joke out of him if they ridicule his name.

My family. Their last name is Jackson, I've pulled "Wacko Jacko" on them. They laugh and it's kind of like a ongoing joke. But they started the whole thing themselves.

Nobody likes it when they get made fun of.. If he thought it was funny, it be a different story but the way "they" pull it up is very mean and cold.

You would think that the term itself isn't offensive, but it actually is because everyone associates it with 'wacko'.

I read an article the other day about Michael wearing tape on his face, and they constantly referred to him as Jacko. It's intentionally disrespectful. It helps to make a joke out of him if they ridicule his name.

well yes, it's also a poor man's easy way out of being able to feel clever by doing a play on the name..... they do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Because after all how hard is it to twist someone's name to make it sound like a joke, we do learn that in primary school... "linda linda belongs in kinda" etc

Last edited:
It's actually a good conversation into why people feel this way so I'd like to keep it open if that's ok.
Thanx! I wasn't sure!

whilst I agree that it is offensive when it rhymes with something like W***o etc

Here in Australia Jacko, is short for Jackson. It's used in two positive lights usually, one being "my mate Jacko said that.." ... or it's just used as a quicker shorter way of saying a name. (we naturally shorten words and names). It can actually be used as a term of respect or mateship. You know they've fully accepted you when they ad an o or an a to your name ;) "Johnno wants us around for drinks" or "Azza (aaron) has a new job"

I've seen Jacko used inregards to Michael, and there has not been anything negative in the article.
Same here! And that's my point because I think that say when MJ's new album does well, the artcle titles will still read "Jacko still a Thriller' etc

Mind you we too can use it as a negative name, and the press here tend to do it when they've copied their news articles from either the UK or the states :yes:

I am glad you opened it. I understand that for Australians for instance it is a term of endearment in a way and I believe it is the same for the British. I always consider the source. It is only when used with the second part that it bothers me. I hope by now that Michael knows it is not alway used maliciously and actually meant as a good thing sometimes. I do feel bad if it bothers Michael.

In all honesty I wonder sometime about referring to himn as Michael. That is a term of familiarity too. When Raymone Bain calls him Mr. Jackson instead of Michael it is giving respect where respect is due and it actually sounds good to me. So what is really correct? It is because Michael emotes so and gives so much in his perfomances that we feel familiar enough to call him Michael. It is a double edged sword. It is part of his magnetism and draw and also sometimes causes unwanted intrusions and expectations. I do not see how one term of familiarity (Michael) would be okay and not the other (Jacko).

This is very interesting. I agree to your points. The thing is that Michael Jackson is called a lot of other names eg MJ, Mike, Michael, etc some of these names like Mike is the short for Michael, in the same way that Jacko can be taken as a short for Jackson. So his name isn't changed just because a short-version is used.

The press call a lot of people by a short-name (nickname if you will) e.g Madonna is now Madge, Princess Diana was Di etc so to me when someone says Jacko, it really doesn't bother me unless it's followed by W**** etc.

I don't remember the interview where MJ (sorry I mean Mr Michael Jackson :lol: just joking!) said he hates the name. I haven't watched it for a while but I think he was saying about the W**** J**** rather than just J****. I may be totally wrong.:lol:

In my country the term Jacko is never used in mass-media.They always write his full name.This is why I don't really find it offensive.In English,though,it does have a negative part to it.But I do like the way it sounds - Jacko.It makes me think of the Billie Jean performances on the HIStory tour,where Michael starts to sing: "Jacko lover!You 'now ya' ain't!Jacko lover!".

Last edited:
I've only read it in negative terms and when people say it to me its always negative.So i guess when Michael is referred to Jacko i dont like it or find it respectful.

I've only read it in negative terms and when people say it to me its always negative.So i guess when Michael is referred to Jacko i dont like it or find it respectful.

I have wondered that if its because of the negative media association with Jacko in MJ's case that we have been conditioned to 'dislike/hate' the term regardless of the content its used in.

Very interesting reading all the views here. Some of ya'll really Hate it. I must admit I knew peeps hated it but not to the extent some of you feel.

P.S LJ I love your Santa sig:wub:

Those of you in Australia and in other countries - I can see your point..You look at the name "Jacko" and think "What the heck? What is so offensive about that?". The point is this. In THIS country, the name "Jacko" is ALWAYS connotated to go along with "Wacko". THAT is OFFENSIVE. We who live in America take GREAT OFFENSE when ANYONE refers to Michael Jackson as "Jacko". The man has a legal surname. Use it. Or call him "MJ" or "Michael" or "Mike" when you talk about him. And start treating him with some goddamned respect. There, I got that off my chest.

depends on how the word is used. whether its with w.a.c.k.o for eg.its not the nicest sounding name ill say that. it has different meanings i think depending on what country you are in. as in the uk and Oz (others from there have said) if u have a last name that ends in son be it jackson or gibson for eg then u always get called gibbo or jacko when at school etc.its the oldest nickname in the book and wasnt created just for mj. its not a negative name just a nickname like any other.in countries where this doesnt happen they seem to find the nickname more offensive because they think the name is ment to be negative but the name on its own isnt.its just a nickname nothing more nothing less. news paper headlines are only offensive when the W is put b4 jacko. otherwise its as i said above and just abriviating the name to create more space as papers do

Just like Elusive said over here it's just a nickname. I was called gibbo by most of my teachers, in fact if a teacher called you by a nickname it was a fun thing and I got on better with those teachers than the one's that called me Rita.

I do feel bad about it being used for Michael though because I know that he is offended by it.

Those of you in Australia and in other countries - I can see your point..You look at the name "Jacko" and think "What the heck? What is so offensive about that?". The point is this. In THIS country, the name "Jacko" is ALWAYS connotated to go along with "Wacko". THAT is OFFENSIVE. We who live in America take GREAT OFFENSE when ANYONE refers to Michael Jackson as "Jacko". The man has a legal surname. Use it. Or call him "MJ" or "Michael" or "Mike" when you talk about him. And start treating him with some goddamned respect. There, I got that off my chest.

See this is where the language and cultural differences gets interesting. :p

In one breath your saying don't call him by the nickname "Jacko" , but in the next breath you say it is ok to call him by other nicknames such as "Mike" or "MJ" It's interesting not just as fans, but as different people from different cultures to see which nicknames we allow and which ones we dont :) ... so what is it that makes which nicknames appropriate and which ones inappropriate? is it how it is accepted by a majority? by the individual? or by the culture we know?

(please note I'm not picking at your Linda :) but merely using your quote as an example of differences ;) )

I think the reason why "Jacko" isn't accepted like "Mike Jack" etc is purely due to the negative connections that the press have put with the name.
It also appears to me that maybe in the US even if Wacko isn't added to the word Jacko.... the word in itself might sound harsh and short as opposed to the full name. So hence sounding disrespectful :)

and like i said earlier the other reason we tend not to use or like Jacko, is purely because MJ don't like it either :p

Last edited:
Back