PHony's pillage of the back catalog

vstreet

Proud Member
Let's count how many times PHony has released Mike's entire back catalog, shall we?

If I missed anything, feel free to add it to the list below.

BTW, I think it's great that we're getting new material from Mike in the Thriller 25th Anniv. CD, what I'm not happy about is the way PHony has pillaged Mike's back catalog and basically released it over and over and over again consistently since 1995. I think this is EXTREME and it has got to stop at some point. Mike's catalog should not be plundered before he gets his masters back (IMO):

Here we go:

HISTORY album (Disk 1 was a collection of the back catalog)
HIStory Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Thriller Remastered circa 2001
Bad Remastered circa 2001
Off the Wall Remastered circa 2001
Dangerous Remastered circa 2001
MJ Video Greatest Hits HIStory DVD circa 2001
Number Ones
The One (DVD)
The Essential Jacksons
The Ultimate Collection Box Set
Michael Jackson Live In Bucharest Dangerous Tour DVD
The Essential Michael Jackson
Visionary: The Video Singles Box Set (Dual Disc)
(Let's not forget the singles that were re-released from the above box set)
Off The Wall/Thriller Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Bad/Dangerous Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Thriller 25th Anniversary (circa Feb 2008)

Last edited:
Let's count how many times PHony has released Mike's entire back catalog, shall we?

If I missed anything, feel free to add it to the list below.

BTW, I think it's great that we're getting new material from Mike in the Thriller 25th Anniv. CD, what I'm not happy about is the way PHony has pillaged Mike's back catalog and basically released it over and over and over again consistently since 1995. I think this is EXTREME and it has got to stop at some point. Mike's catalog should not be plundered before he gets his masters back (IMO):

Here we go:

HISTORY album (Disk 1 was a collection of the back catalog)
HIStory Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Thriller Remastered circa 2001
Bad Remastered circa 2001
Off the Wall Remastered circa 2001
Dangerous Remastered circa 2001
MJ Video Greatest Hits HIStory DVD circa 2001
Number Ones
The One (DVD)
The Essential Jacksons
The Ultimate Collection Box Set
Michael Jackson Live In Bucharest Dangerous Tour DVD
The Essential Michael Jackson
Visionary: The Video Singles Box Set (Dual Disc)
(Let's not forget the singles that were re-released from the above box set)
Off The Wall/Thriller Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Bad/Dangerous Double Disc CD Circa 2004
Thriller 25th Anniversary (circa Feb 2008)

When does he get his masters back/ I know it has been discussed before but I don't recall the conclusion if there was one.

Weren't all of the ones that were remastered in 2001 done so to make them available on CD? It was around 2001 that enough homes had cd players to make it worthwhile to remaster I think. All of the record companies made money off of the conversion to CD. I think it helped save them when sales were down but it wasn't just MJ.

According to some here, MJ can get his masters back after "Thriller 25" is released, lol. Remember Maxxx's post in how he says that MJ don't give a f**k how they release it, just as long as he gets his masters back? LOL

According to some here, MJ can get his masters back after "Thriller 25" is released, lol. Remember Maxxx's post in how he says that MJ don't give a f**k how they release it, just as long as he gets his masters back? LOL
I probably mix two things together, when he fullfilled his contract with them and when he would get his masters back. I suppose they were not necessarily related.

I saw what Maxxx wrote and noted it but wasn't sure what his source was. Everyone seems to believe a different date. It would be great if its true however.

Last rant:

In order to be an artist on Mike's album (that, too - THRILLER - the biggest selling album of all time), you have to be worthy of it. Not some flash in the pan artist or producer like AKON or Will I Am or Kanye. I'm sorry, but these guys are NOT worthy of being on an album like Thriller. Will I Am ain't no Teddy Riley and Akon and/or Chris Brown ain't legendary enough to be on that album.

I'm tired of seeing PHony plunder Mike's back catalog. How much you wanna bet we ain't seen the last of it?

This year it's Thriller 25. Next year it's what? Dangerous remixed and rereleased by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Effron?

PH ony has got to be stopped.

Last rant:

In order to be an artist on Mike's album (that, too - THRILLER - the biggest selling album of all time), you have to be worthy of it. Not some flash in the pan artist or producer like AKON or Will I Am or Kanye. I'm sorry, but these guys are NOT worthy of being on an album like Thriller. Will I Am ain't no Teddy Riley and Akon and/or Chris Brown ain't legendary enough to be on that album.

I'm tired of seeing PHony plunder Mike's back catalog. How much you wanna bet we ain't seen the last of it?

This year it's Thriller 25. Next year it's what? Dangerous remixed and rereleased by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Effron?

PH ony has got to be stopped.
It isn't like Michael doesn't make money off of the rereleases too. And if the earlier stuff was never released to cd you could hardly expect people to keep buying vinyl. Only Timmy.

Michael approves all of these releases and has chosen not to release any new music. So until that changes, he is happy to live of the (vast) amounts of money these re-releases bring in.

I think it is nonsense to blame just Sony for releasing these. Michael knows what he is doing and was quite happy to sign with them in the first place, generating millions in advanced royalties.

We don't HAVE to buy them...

Last edited:
Hey V-street,

welcome back!.............glad you are around to now celebrate..how a free man.. is going to set 2008 on fire...

also.. don't hate me for saying this.. but you know its call the
music business..............not music not-for-profit...

>>>>>>>.

Yay! for the re-release of Thriller for the N-teenth time.

...I'm glad Mike makes money from all this, but seriously, there's just too many of these in a short amount of time.

Why not put out a box set of nothing but unreleased stuff? Unreleased videos, incomplete videos, storyboards for ideas that never quite made it, Captain EO part 2, etc.?

...I'm glad Mike makes money from all this, but seriously, there's just too many of these in a short amount of time.

Why not put out a box set of nothing but unreleased stuff? Unreleased videos, incomplete videos, storyboards for ideas that never quite made it, Captain EO part 2, etc.?

You and me think alike sometimes, lol.

I feel your point, but we all know that SONY is gonna only release a minimum in order to reap a maximum in profits, always been that way always will be that way.

Back