Beat It - N.Y's Eve by Fall Out Boy

ladyplatinum

Proud Member
I was flipping channels to catch most of the New Year's Eve celebrations and tuned into FOX where this band was playing, "Beat It". Of course, I didn't know who the band was so I listened to the end of the song (because it was - Beat It -) and the host, Cat Deely, said they were Fall Out Boy.

That was news to me. I didn't know that Fall Out Boy had covered the song. I wondered about why they were performing it since "Thriller" is about to come out with Fergie's cover of the song. I guess everybody's getting in on the act.

It sounded okay, they played it well. The lead singer's voice wasn't impressive to me. Some of the crowd seem to be perplexed by the performance and others were probably "high" and just wanted to dance and be on camera.

They've been singing it for awhile now. A couple of months back, someone posted a youtube link of them singing it at their concert. And recently someone said they sang it at a Grammy nominations party. So obviously for them to do it so much, the response they're getting from it must be great.

i believe they are fans of mj and they are signed to sony/atv aswell so double the money for mj lol

Bassist Pete Wentz, who dates Ashley Simpson, said in his Advocate interview that Moonwalker is his favorite movie and he has an obsession with MJ.

Ya I was watching it on TV.. at first when I heard the instrametals start the song.. I thought they were just sampling the guitar sound.. But it went off on the whole song.. I loved seeing the crowed get lowder for the song too.. :)

Fall Out Boy covering "Beat It" w/ John Mayer guitar solo.

Alright, so this is my first post. Hey all!

So this is kind of a big deal for me. I am first and foremost a Michael Jackson fan ever since the tender age of 5, but I became a John Mayer fan in high school and really came to love him as a blues guitarist. So this really blows my mind that he is playing Eddie's solo in Fall Out Boy's cover of Beat It.

http://www6.islandrecords.com/site/av.php?bcpid=1315753316&bclid=1295326835&bctid=1437076211

There's the site to hear the song. Sorry its not a direct link. I don't know how to do that, but just copy and paste the link in the browser and it should still get you there. If not, try going to Island records homepage and use the search bar.

I say, they did a good job. I do respect Fall Out Boy as a great alternative rock band with some catchy tunes, and I am completely in love with Mayer's music, so to see the combination of Michael Jackson and John Mayer is complete heaven for me! You all have seriously no idea how great this feels for me.

Note: The solo is nowhere near the same as Eddies solo, but I dont think John intended it to be the same. He does a good job and uses the same pedal tone as Eddie's. Take a listen and post what you think. Its no Michael, but they did a good job.

Re: Fall Out Boy covering "Beat It" w/ John Mayer guitar solo.

hmmmmm....never mind.....maybe it is a direct link....

Ha! Cool!

I lyke faw out boiz yea
this is interestin mayne chea hud shyt!

Some people are annoyed by Akon's voice. Well, thats how i feel about these guys. I really dislike them. The guitar solo sucked. Ive seen 100 better Beat It solos on youtube by ammatures with there handycams, and i love John on guitar in everything else ive heard him play on, but THIS just sucked.. Thats my opinion.

Last edited:

That's pretty good! John's guitar solo was interesting- in a good way :D

Hey there, we've already got a thread on this :wild:

I'm gonna merge the threads :flowers:

Welcome to the forum by the way :D Hope you enjoy it ^_^

Last edited:
Thanks for merging the threads...forgot to look in this section for the same topic!

Oh and I DO enjoy it already! I think i've lurked here for about a month before registering and posting.

It's a good arrangement, decent solo, but that voice is one of the most awful things I've ever heard. Is this guy a professional singer? wtf.

Well....he's by no means "professional", but he is one of maybe a hand full of artists who could attempt to properly sing the song. It does call for some pretty high vocals, I have to admit. The song would be difficult for even a woman to sing correctly. Michaels voice is very forward on "Beat It" and that is hard for a guy to sing without going in to a 'chest' voice, if any one knows what that means...

Honestly, Patrick Stump's voice when he sings Beat It is deplorable. The band plays it well, but then I hear that typical Fall Out Boy voice singing those lyrics and I want to throw an egg at an emo kid.

oh c'mon nah people, it was not that bad. Nobody can sing it like Michael ... what was so bad about it ??

I listened to it when it was initially posted and didn't think it was too bad. Mind you, I only listened to it once, in the background, while doing other stuff. But then when I saw all the negative comments I thought "it wasn't that bad, was it?" So I had to refresh my memory by listening to it on YouTube. All I can say is that after listening to it I was in a panic to find a real version of the song so I could get that crap out of my head. Ahh, the sweet sounds of talent and originality:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aU_zcYp-ccc

Back