3rd January News and Mentionings

magic

Proud Member
So how everyone feels stepping in new year? :D

Today world present us few mentionings, mostly about ATV catalogue . And again about J5 uniting this time from Janet although she clearly says she don't know it it happens so don't be excited ;)

Also there's an article posted in Tabloid Talk forum that I didn't dare to post in here.

With that said, have a nice day! ^_^

News:

Janet Jackson Hopes for Jackson Five Reunion

Janet revealed her brothers have been inspired by the `dinosaur` Rolling Stones who have continued touring into their 60s.

Janet Jackson is desperate for her brothers to have a Jackson Five reunion because she is their "biggest fan". Janet wants Tito, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine and Michael to reunite for a world tour, insisting they still have "so much to give".

She said: "I really don't know if the tour would happen. I hope it happens. I would love for it to happen. I'm probably my brothers' biggest fan. I think it would be great if they did. "They're so loved and definitely missed and there's so much history there, musically speaking - there's so much that they have to give. There's so much youth still there."

Janet also revealed her brothers have been inspired by the "dinosaur" Rolling Stones who have continued touring into their 60s. She added to Hong Kong's Prestige magazine: "I think about how Mick Jagger is 65 million years old, like a dinosaur or something, all of them - The Rolling Stones - and I look at my brothers and none of them look their age. "It's not that they're old, they just still don't look their age and it really trips me out. And I hope they do stage a world tour. They still love
their music."

The Jackson Five - Tito, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine and Michael - later became The Jacksons after younger brother Randy joined. The band's last tour was in 1984.

http://www.javno.com/en/bestseller/clanak.php?id=111233

Mentionings:

Advertising executive Philip Dusenberry died

Advertising executive Philip Dusenberry, who oversaw the Pepsi television commercial in which Michael Jackson's hair caught fire and who helped coin some of the industry's best-known slogans, has died. He was 71. Dusenberry's advertising firm said he died of lung cancer at his Manhattan home. Dusenberry liked to use special effects and often cast celebrities, including Lionel Richie and Madonna. He helped create the Pepsi line "The choice of a new generation" and General Electric's "We bring good things to life."

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/ThursdayTicket/2008/01/03/4750447-sun.html

Beatles songs owner moots use in advertising

LONDON - Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which owns the rights to The Beatles' back catalogue, is inviting offers to use the band's hits in ads.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing is a 50:50 joint venture between Sony and pop star Michael Jackson, who originally bought Northern Songs, which owns The Beatles back catalogue.

The company has said that the catalogue may be used for selected "brand partnerships" that enhance the original music's reputation.

Sony/ATV is expected to consider similar offers to the £5m deal that allowed Microsoft to use the Rolling Stones' 'Start Me Up' in a global advertising campaign.

The company does not need permission from Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono or the family of George Harrison to make the deals, but Martin Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV, said that he felt a "moral obligation" to discuss uses of the catalogue with them.

Hollywood studios are said to be prepared to offer millions of dollars to use original Beatles music on soundtracks. Rap stars have also been allowed to "reference" Beatles songs to create new hits so long as they don't carry a "bad message".

In August last year, Beatles song 'All You Need is Love' was used in a US ad for Procter & Gamble's nappy brand Luvs after advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi purchased the rights to use it from Sony/ATV.

The use of the song, which became a peace anthem during the Vietnam war, angered Beatles fans around the world, leading to a deluge of complaints on fan forums and sites.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/774583/Beatles-songs-owner-moots-use-advertising/

Beatles for sale - to flog nappies!

THE Beatles could soon be for sale after reports advertisers may be given permission to use the Fab Four’s music in their campaigns.

But music giant Sony says people will need more than cash to secure the right to use some of the world’s most famous tunes.

It maintains the final product must enhance the original music’s reputation.

One of the first deals already struck is for the 1967 classic anthem All You Need is Love to be used in a nappy advert.

Proctor and Gamble was given the go-ahead to use the song in its marketing campaign to spread the word about Luvs’ Bear Hug stretch nappies across the US.

Mark Rolland, of advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi which created the advert, said: “The song helps us break through the diaper advertising clutter and simply communicate to mums that Luvs diapers are ‘all you need’ to keep your baby happy.”

Martin Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV, is reported as saying: “The thought and the song were ideal for morning TV when young mothers are watching.

“We thought it was very tasteful.”

More than 250 songs, the majority of the Beatles’ catalogue, are owned by Sony/ATV.

It is understood a small number of those have been authorised to be used in ad campaigns – but only if they are recorded by someone else.

Sony has also authorised the use of samples of Beatles songs into other tracks created by rappers and hip-hop artists, with rap collective Wu-Tang Clan's The Heart Gently Weeps recording their own version of George Harrison’s While My Guitar Gently Weeps to use in the new single.

The Beatles lost control of the group's song rights in 1969 when their publishing arm Northern Songs was sold to Lew Grade's ATV Music.

Ownership of ATV later passed to Australian entrepreneur Robert Holmes a Court and in 1985 Michael Jackson bought the rights to the 259 tracks, outbidding Sir Paul McCartney.

He formed a partnership with Sony in the 1990s.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20309838&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1997 - Michael Jackson performed at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, HI, as part of his "HIStory" tour. It was Jackson's first U.S. performance since the "Bad" tour of 1989. The next day, the first leg of the "HIStory" tour ended.

Last edited:
I am DELIGHTED to see that the Sony/ATV article has been picked up by other media outlets.

Martin Bandier's quotes regarding Sony/ATV are an EXCELLENT way to start of the year. His phone is probably ringing off the hook right about now. LOL!

I'm looking forward (with Rasta Pasta's help of course) to seeing what Martin does towards the growth of Sony/ATV this year. It's going to be interesting to watch.

thanks for the news.. I enjoy reading it

also it was mentioned in some of old news threads and now TMZ also came up with it:

It Takes "Different Strokes" to Sue the World

An old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.

Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suitthat Jackson's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!

Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jackson, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

Documents available: http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/0102_different_strokes_wm.pdf

http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/02/it-takes-different-strokes-to-sue-the-world/

I am DELIGHTED to see that the Sony/ATV article has been picked up by other media outlets.

Martin Bandier's quotes regarding Sony/ATV are an EXCELLENT way to start of the year. His phone is probably ringing off the hook right about now. LOL!

I'm looking forward (with Rasta Pasta's help of course) to seeing what Martin does towards the growth of Sony/ATV this year. It's going to be interesting to watch.
so am I. I like the way they're going about it and are not just giving the songs to anyone without strict guidelines. This should have happened a long time ago imo. They've been literally sitting on a gold mine for years. While I'm not a Beatles fan (well I like some of their songs), their music is popular worldwide. Wonder how Paul feels about this.

edit: I know that Mike used his songs for Pepsi commercials, does anyone know if his Mijac catalog is used for other ads?

Last edited:
They still get it wrong: MJ did not "outbid" Macca, because Paul never bid for the songs.

On the other hand I must say that I don't agree with using the Beatles' songs in commercials.

I still don't understand why this Johnson guy waits a decade and a half to start complaining. Tupac has been dead going on 12 years. And Blood on the Dancefloor has been out for almost 11. This guy had to have known about this alleged issue years ago. He sat back and said nothing to a court of law for all that time? That makes me suspicious. If I felt I was artistically ripped off, I'd be filing a suit right off the bat or at the very least a year later. The way this is going down is really off IMO. Some people who go after celebs (and especially Michael) over stuff have serious timing issues. Waiting for years to complain is plenty odd and at least questionable in my book. They don't say anything until they see others getting sue-and-allegation-crazy and then they jump in to join the rest of the wolf pack lined up at the door. If Michael among everybody else involved wasn't already surrounded by folks wanting to get their hands in his pockets, we'd probaby not even hear about this mess because there would be nothing there in the first place.

Last edited:
On the other hand I must say that I don't agree with using the Beatles' songs in commercials.

I actually like the idea. It's a great way for a NEW batch of music lover's to hear this music. I, myself, have heard music in commericals and went as far as finding out more about the particular song, so that I can possibly purchase it.

I mean, if they don't use the songs for different things, including commercials, what will become of the songs. Just sitting on them seems to be pointless, in my opinion.

NOTE: Not ALL types of commericals, but some commercials, just to get the songs out to a new generation of listeners.

so am I. I like the way they're going about it and are not just giving the songs to anyone without strict guidelines. This should have happened a long time ago imo. They've been literally sitting on a gold mind for years. While I'm not a Beatles fan (well I like some of their songs), there music is popular worldwide. Wonder how Paul feels about this.

edit: I know that Mike used his songs from Pepsi commercials, does anyone know if his Mijac catalog is used for other ads?

yes, they are sitting on a goldmine.. and Sony and Michael knows and they have cashed in ..here and there.. in films..like the I AM SAM movie starting Sean Penn a few years ago.. and some others...

but I am guessing that Michael and Paul.. are on better terms... also having Sony as a 50/50 partner is an excellent buffer because any devilish peeps out there who don't like it.. has to go through Sony too.. which complicates things...

that year or so Michael spent in seclusion.. was well spent..Dude was getting his ducks in a row...

Thanks 4 the update.

Does anyone know how many $ Mike earns every year??

that year or so Michael spent in seclusion.. was well spent..Dude was getting his ducks in a row...

Yep Rasta, it brings me back to one of the things Jesse Jackson said in that recent Jet article.

Jessie said the following about MJ: "ONE CAN EASILY UNDERESTIMATE HIS STRENGTH AND HIS DETERMINATION".

In this months issue of Jet Magazine, they have an article on Lee Thomas, the Detroit TV Newscaster who suffers from vitiligo, and he spoke briefely about Michael. Here's what he had to say.

"One celebrity Thomas has something in common with-but has never interviewed-is Michael Jackson. In 1993, Jackson told Winfrey that he has vitiligo... I completely understand [Michael Jackson] being reclusive... How would you like to be the most famous man on the planet, but if you aren't wearing your makeup, people don't know who you are."

"I do tell people the man has vitiligo. It started on my left hand, which is funny because he wore one glove. I completely understand it. He wore one glove because he was covering up spots of vitiligo, in my opinion. Then he wore two gloves... I wore gloves."

Also, some other quotes that are of interest.

"No one else in Thomas' family has the disorder, he said... "In about 20 percent of cases, it tends to run in the family," said Lim, Thomas' doctor. "The vast majority don't have any family members with vitiligo... It's an autoimmune disease. It isn't contagious and no one can catch it by touching or living with someone."

"Thomas said vitiligo can wreak havoc on you emotionally because of the way people treat you."

I think its interesting and good that this disease is now getting attention like it should, but at the same time, its sad, because Michael spoke out about having this disorder 15 years ago and nobody believed him or payed attention.

Last edited:
well, a newscaster discussing vitiligo may yet make people understand about the disease and hopefully those who dismissed it as just a "gimmick" for michael may find sympathy for him now for all the flak he didnt deserve.

i don't think this is vitiligo but in a related story , rihanna is afraid she'l soon turn white like michael!

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/rihanna%20getting%20paler_1054716

Last edited:
In this months issue of Jet Magazine, they have an article on Lee Thomas, the Detroit TV Newscaster who suffers from vitiligo, and he spoke briefely about Michael. Here's what he had to say.

Also, some other quotes that are of interest.

I think its interesting and good that this disease is now getting attention like it should, but at the same time, its sad, because Michael spoke out about having this disorder 15 years ago and nobody believed him or payed attention.
It is sad that people didn´t beleive MJ when he first spoke of it. I understand that it must have been really hard for him so he kept it secret at first because he had such complex for his acne ever since he was a teenager and then got vitiligo. I also think that Joseph said that his grandfather had it as well.

My Elementary school nurse has it too, not to the extent of Michael's. At least not from what I saw, so I never doubted it! People just can't get a grip on the fact that a celebrity could have something so drastic happen to them. It's so sad, but it's true! They need to get over themselves and realize that celebs are human too!

It is sad that people didn´t beleive MJ when he first spoke of it. I understand that it must have been really hard for him so he kept it secret at first because he had such complex for his acne ever since he was a teenager and then got vitiligo. I also think that Joseph said that his grandfather had it as well.

i really feel for MJ so much. going thru adolescence is tough but it was tougher that he had to deal with severe acne (remember how he doesnt want to face a mirror and how he washed his face in the darK?)

and then he had vitiligo...no wonder he hasn't goten over his shyness till now

I got my new issue of JET today as well with Lisa Raye on the cover. I read the article about Lee Thomas and it was enlightening. I've always believed Michael had it, due to the fact that him intentionally changing his skin color didn't make sense, considering he sold 50 million Thriller albums being brown skinned. Why would he want to be as pale as he is? it didn't make sense to me at all. That's why I believe he had the disease

well, a newscaster discussing vitiligo may yet make people understand about the disease and hopefully those who dismissed it as just a "gimmick" for michael may find sympathy for him now for all the flak he didnt deserve.

i don't think this is vitiligo but in a related story , rihanna is afraid she'l soon turn white like michael!

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/rihanna getting paler_1054716
Contactmusic is about as bad as Hard Copy used to be. Startin' sumthang when there is nothing to start....

Hell I get lighter in the winter time and darker in the summer.... that's how melanin works....:rolleyes: Good grief.

Contactmusic is about as bad as Hard Copy used to be. Startin' sumthang when there is nothing to start....

Hell I get lighter in the winter time and darker in the summer.... that's how melanin works....:rolleyes: Good grief.
I was about to say something similar. Rihanna's just used to being in the sun. She ain't got no vitiligo. She's just used to being in the carribean.

Thank you for the news :)

I still don't understand why this Johnson guy waits a decade and a half to start complaining. Tupac has been dead going on 12 years. And Blood on the Dancefloor has been out for almost 11. This guy had to have known about this alleged issue years ago. He sat back and said nothing to a court of law for all that time? That makes me suspicious. If I felt I was artistically ripped off, I'd be filing a suit right off the bat or at the very least a year later. The way this is going down is really off IMO. Some people who go after celebs (and especially Michael) over stuff have serious timing issues. Waiting for years to complain is plenty odd and at least questionable in my book. They don't say anything until they see others getting sue-and-allegation-crazy and then they jump in to join the rest of the wolf pack lined up at the door. If Michael among everybody else involved wasn't already surrounded by folks wanting to get their hands in his pockets, we'd probaby not even hear about this mess because there would be nothing there in the first place.

I actually like the idea. It's a great way for a NEW batch of music lover's to hear this music. I, myself, have heard music in commericals and went as far as finding out more about the particular song, so that I can possibly purchase it.

I mean, if they don't use the songs for different things, including commercials, what will become of the songs. Just sitting on them seems to be pointless, in my opinion.

NOTE: Not ALL types of commericals, but some commercials, just to get the songs out to a new generation of listeners.

yes, they are sitting on a goldmine.. and Sony and Michael knows and they have cashed in ..here and there.. in films..like the I AM SAM movie starting Sean Penn a few years ago.. and some others...

but I am guessing that Michael and Paul.. are on better terms... also having Sony as a 50/50 partner is an excellent buffer because any devilish peeps out there who don't like it.. has to go through Sony too.. which complicates things...

Yep Rasta, it brings me back to one of the things Jesse Jackson said in that recent Jet article.

Jessie said the following about MJ: "ONE CAN EASILY UNDERESTIMATE HIS STRENGTH AND HIS DETERMINATION".

Absolutely agree with you all.

I was about to say something similar. Rihanna's just used to being in the sun. She ain't got no vitiligo. She's just used to being in the carribean.

oooops.. i must admit my stupidity on this:rolleyes: i didnt read close enough and was too eager to post assuming it was at least medically related:lol:

shame on me!:lol:

oooops.. i must admit my stupidity on this:rolleyes: i didnt read close enough and was too eager to post assuming it was at least medically related:lol:

shame on me!:lol:

:lol::lol: I think its good that you posted it tho. The thing is that we all have the same amounts of melanin cells regardless of our race. The only exceptions are vitiligo suffers and albinos. The difference in our skin tones is due to the extent of stimulation the melanin cells get. So naturally those that live in hot countries for years (even centuries) have darker skin than those in cold climates. Its the same reason why we get darker in summer and lighter/paler in winter.
I think Rihanna just wanted a holiday in her home town that's all :lol:

:lol::lol: I think its good that you posted it tho. The thing is that we all have the same amounts of melanin cells regardless of our race. The only exceptions are vitiligo suffers and albinos. The difference in our skin tones is due to the extent of stimulation the melanin cells get. So naturally those that live in hot countries for years (even centuries) have darker skin than those in cold climates. Its the same reason why we get darker in summer and lighter/paler in winter.
I think Rihanna just wanted a holiday in her home town that's all :lol:

to the highlighted part, i think i disagree. not wanting to reallly be technical about it but our skin color is determined by the amount of melanin present in our skin. hence more melanin means darker skin color;less melanin means lighter skin color. i agree on the rest of ur statement tho^_^ specially on the vacation part:lol:

I think forevermike is right, actually. Skin color and facial features I'm pretty sure are determined by environment, over a long period of time. It’s evolutionary. Lack of melanocite cells simply means lack of pigmentation. A white person has as much pigmentation as a black person, only the color is lighter. Europeans are light because of their colder environment while Africans are dark because of their hotter environment. Facial features are determined by the same things, the higher the altitude, the broader the nose, for oxygen intake, etc... The reason people with vitiligo turn white, really white, is because of lack of color. White is the absence of color. White people aren't really white, they aren't devoid of color, they're just lighter colored. Michael and other people who suffer from vitiligo are lacking any pigmentation in the affected areas, they have no color.

Last edited:
Back