3rd January News and Mentionings

magic

Proud Member
So how everyone feels stepping in new year? :D

Today world present us few mentionings, mostly about ATV catalogue . And again about J5 uniting this time from Janet although she clearly says she don't know it it happens so don't be excited ;)

Also there's an article posted in Tabloid Talk forum that I didn't dare to post in here.

With that said, have a nice day! ^_^

News:

Janet Jackson Hopes for Jackson Five Reunion

Janet revealed her brothers have been inspired by the `dinosaur` Rolling Stones who have continued touring into their 60s.

Janet Jackson is desperate for her brothers to have a Jackson Five reunion because she is their "biggest fan". Janet wants Tito, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine and Michael to reunite for a world tour, insisting they still have "so much to give".

She said: "I really don't know if the tour would happen. I hope it happens. I would love for it to happen. I'm probably my brothers' biggest fan. I think it would be great if they did. "They're so loved and definitely missed and there's so much history there, musically speaking - there's so much that they have to give. There's so much youth still there."

Janet also revealed her brothers have been inspired by the "dinosaur" Rolling Stones who have continued touring into their 60s. She added to Hong Kong's Prestige magazine: "I think about how Mick Jagger is 65 million years old, like a dinosaur or something, all of them - The Rolling Stones - and I look at my brothers and none of them look their age. "It's not that they're old, they just still don't look their age and it really trips me out. And I hope they do stage a world tour. They still love
their music."

The Jackson Five - Tito, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine and Michael - later became The Jacksons after younger brother Randy joined. The band's last tour was in 1984.

http://www.javno.com/en/bestseller/clanak.php?id=111233

Mentionings:

Advertising executive Philip Dusenberry died

Advertising executive Philip Dusenberry, who oversaw the Pepsi television commercial in which Michael Jackson's hair caught fire and who helped coin some of the industry's best-known slogans, has died. He was 71. Dusenberry's advertising firm said he died of lung cancer at his Manhattan home. Dusenberry liked to use special effects and often cast celebrities, including Lionel Richie and Madonna. He helped create the Pepsi line "The choice of a new generation" and General Electric's "We bring good things to life."

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/ThursdayTicket/2008/01/03/4750447-sun.html

Beatles songs owner moots use in advertising

LONDON - Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which owns the rights to The Beatles' back catalogue, is inviting offers to use the band's hits in ads.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing is a 50:50 joint venture between Sony and pop star Michael Jackson, who originally bought Northern Songs, which owns The Beatles back catalogue.

The company has said that the catalogue may be used for selected "brand partnerships" that enhance the original music's reputation.

Sony/ATV is expected to consider similar offers to the £5m deal that allowed Microsoft to use the Rolling Stones' 'Start Me Up' in a global advertising campaign.

The company does not need permission from Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono or the family of George Harrison to make the deals, but Martin Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV, said that he felt a "moral obligation" to discuss uses of the catalogue with them.

Hollywood studios are said to be prepared to offer millions of dollars to use original Beatles music on soundtracks. Rap stars have also been allowed to "reference" Beatles songs to create new hits so long as they don't carry a "bad message".

In August last year, Beatles song 'All You Need is Love' was used in a US ad for Procter & Gamble's nappy brand Luvs after advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi purchased the rights to use it from Sony/ATV.

The use of the song, which became a peace anthem during the Vietnam war, angered Beatles fans around the world, leading to a deluge of complaints on fan forums and sites.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/774583/Beatles-songs-owner-moots-use-advertising/

Beatles for sale - to flog nappies!

THE Beatles could soon be for sale after reports advertisers may be given permission to use the Fab Four’s music in their campaigns.

But music giant Sony says people will need more than cash to secure the right to use some of the world’s most famous tunes.

It maintains the final product must enhance the original music’s reputation.

One of the first deals already struck is for the 1967 classic anthem All You Need is Love to be used in a nappy advert.

Proctor and Gamble was given the go-ahead to use the song in its marketing campaign to spread the word about Luvs’ Bear Hug stretch nappies across the US.

Mark Rolland, of advertising agency Saatchi & Saatchi which created the advert, said: “The song helps us break through the diaper advertising clutter and simply communicate to mums that Luvs diapers are ‘all you need’ to keep your baby happy.”

Martin Bandier, chief executive of Sony/ATV, is reported as saying: “The thought and the song were ideal for morning TV when young mothers are watching.

“We thought it was very tasteful.”

More than 250 songs, the majority of the Beatles’ catalogue, are owned by Sony/ATV.

It is understood a small number of those have been authorised to be used in ad campaigns – but only if they are recorded by someone else.

Sony has also authorised the use of samples of Beatles songs into other tracks created by rappers and hip-hop artists, with rap collective Wu-Tang Clan's The Heart Gently Weeps recording their own version of George Harrison’s While My Guitar Gently Weeps to use in the new single.

The Beatles lost control of the group's song rights in 1969 when their publishing arm Northern Songs was sold to Lew Grade's ATV Music.

Ownership of ATV later passed to Australian entrepreneur Robert Holmes a Court and in 1985 Michael Jackson bought the rights to the 259 tracks, outbidding Sir Paul McCartney.

He formed a partnership with Sony in the 1990s.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20309838&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1997 - Michael Jackson performed at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, HI, as part of his "HIStory" tour. It was Jackson's first U.S. performance since the "Bad" tour of 1989. The next day, the first leg of the "HIStory" tour ended.

Last edited:
Back