January 4, 2008: Michael Jackson News & Mentionings

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Good Afternoon to everyone. Here is the late edition of Friday's news thread. For right now we have only mentionings and no new news. Please check back for any updates.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/859846.html

She's still spinning from long-ago 'Disc'

When someone cites a life-changing musical lightning bolt, it usually involves a song from the popular music canon -- something by the likes of the Beatles, Nirvana or Michael Jackson.
But Shalini Chatterjee, leader of the Triad-based band of the same name, says her life-changing song was "Girl in the Golden Disc," a bouncy power-pop tune by the British new wave cult band The Records.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/entertainment/724791,3_5_EL04_SOUNDTRACKS_S1.article

Tracking the history of pop music in film scores

The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack was not only the top-selling album of 1978, it quickly became the top-selling album of all time, producing four No. 1 singles. Only Michael Jackson's Bad would produce more No. 1 songs (five).
The album also turned disco into a mainstream music genre, opening the eyes of Hollywood filmmakers to the power of pop music in the process.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0104jamesbrownjan04,1,7811743.story

A restless legacy: James Brown's death, 1 year later

Sulon Allen, who works at the liquor store of Mr. J's Famous Door Supper Club, a place where Brown used to hang out and play, shrugged from inside her hooded sweatshirt when asked about events celebrating Brown a year after this death.

The city has a deflated vibe compared to when mourners -- including Michael Jackson and MC Hammer -- overflowed James Brown Arena for Brown's "homegoing celebration" Dec. 30, 2006.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/burkle-and-ovitz-to-square-off-over-investment-deal/

Burkle and Ovitz to Square Off Over Investment Deal

Mr. Ovitz denies there was ever a verbal agreement. But in a counter-suit, he says that if one did exist, then Mr. Burkle owes him, including money from Mr. Burkle’s deals to get a beer distributorship for the Reverend Jesse Jackson’s son and to help square away singer Michael Jackson’s finances.

http://www.modernghana.com/GhanaHom...asp?id=VFZSbk0wNTNQVDA9&menu_id=3&menu_id2=84

[FONT=Georgia, Times, serif]WE MADE UP OUR MINDS TO MARRY TWIN SISTERS[/FONT]

In our own little way, we also use our foundation to reach out to school children by warning them against the phenomenon called ‘Aristos’. We print notebooks with our pictures and our campaign slogan, “Aristo, don’t turn our universities into brothels” and distribute among students. “We believe that we are role models, we believe that some of these youths will like to take the message and change if they realise that Mamuzee fear God. We are sure that if Michael Jackson could come out and renounce some of what he represents, millions will change. So we are trying to be unique musicians who don’t want to see people suffer. Very soon, you will get to hear us sing, “It is not right”. The song condemns the ills in the society. There are so many things we do in Nigeria that are not right.”

http://www.sovo.com/2008/1-4/arts/nitelife/7955.cfm

Call him Mr. Maryoke

The way the show started, we didn’t have very many singers,” Rouse says. “I used to literally carry the whole show at the beginning. People came to hear me because I’ve got the range thing going on, and slowly people got word that there was this little guy who could hit the notes, a little Michael Jackson.”

http://www.hedgefund.net/publicnews/default.aspx?story=8245

Tobias Aide Aced Polygraph, Atty Sez

Bill Ash, who worked as an assistant to the hedge fund millionaire, has claimed Tobias was murdered by his wife Filomena. Debra Opri, the attorney representing Ash, said she asked Ash to take the test in order to support his claim.

Opri, who has represented the mother and father of King of Pop Michael Jackson, said it is “only reasonable to conclude with certainty” that Ash has been truthful considering that he passed the test.

http://gridskipper.com/340525/san-francisco-tiger-attack-tatiana-was-framed

San Francisco Tiger Attack: Tatiana Was Framed?

Though animal taunting is apparently a misdemeanor (so much for my old habit of throwing chili peppers to the inmates at Monkey Island), all of these allegations and counterclaims are mere overtures to what will likely be a massive civil suit versus the zoo. Did I mention that the attorney for the victims is none other than Mark Geragos, of Michael Jackson, Whitewater, and Scott Peterson fame?

http://www.toledofreepress.com/?id=6974

Looking for Glove (in all the wrong places)

I knew what had happened as soon as the bus pulled off. My perfect string continued. Another winter, another pair of lost gloves. It is, I admit, a bit early to be losing them, but sooner or later every year I find myself either bare handed or Michael Jackson Thriller—glove on only one hand.

http://www.singersroom.com/news/entertainment-story-1325.asp

Man Sues R&B Singer Chris Brown For a Million

John Troxtel alleges that Brown’s touring company didn’t own up to their end of the bargain after a verbal agreement for his work designing the sets for Brown's "Up Close and Personal" Tour. Troxtel, who has designed concert settings for artists ranging from Michael Jackson, to Eminem and Snoop Dogg, says he was paid for some of his design work, but more work “was required and requested,” TMZ reports.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=e53936a4-2be7-4587-8052-eea47cfdf408

Prime Your Ears for What Comes Next

Other new albums we can anticipate in the new calendar: Super Furry Animals, Lil’ Wayne, Joe Jackson, Stephen Malkmus (whom I include because so many of you like him and not because I think he’s spookily bad), Daniel Lanois, Metallica, AC/DC, Built to Spill, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Nine Inch Nails, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, the Killers, Dr Dre, Raconteurs, Queen (with Paul Rodgers; and, no, that’s not Freddie Mercury’s corpse walking through the door with his ghastly teeth grinning in happy rictus as he warbled “Nevermore”), Patti Smith, U2, the original lineup of Roxy Music (including Brian Eno), Tortoise, Spiritualized, REM, Nas, and Ladytron.

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1997 - The first leg of Michael Jackson's "HIStory" world tour ended at the Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, HI.

I had a small update about the Transitional Investments lawsuit (the big $29.7 million one) but the original thread is locked so I'll just tag it on here:

On December 10th, 2007, Transitional Investments submitted their second amended complaint, and Michael Jackson's side submitted a short answer to the complaint on December 28th, 2007. In response to the second amended complaint, Michael Jackson's side stated that they "generally deny each and every allegation of the Second Amended Complaint... Defendants further deny that Plaintiff has or will suffer or incur any damages or losses attributed to any of the Defendants herein." The response goes on to provide twenty-six more pointed defenses based on the complaint. A jury trial has been requested and another hearing in this case is set for January 29th. If the case makes it to trial, it is expected to last 10-15 days.

Transitional Investment's 2nd Amended Complaint: http://mjjr.net/downloads/documents/20071210TI2ndComplaint.pdf
Defense's Answer to 2nd Amended Complaint: http://mjjr.net/downloads/documents/20071228TIAnswer2C.pdf

Thank you for the update TSCM and for all the work that you do. Archiving will be an integral part of preserving Michael Jackson's legacy.

Lots of mentionings today, thanx ;-)

Thank you for the update TSCM and for all the work that you do. Archiving will be an integral part of preserving Michael Jackson's legacy.

Ditto! :yes:

Last edited:
I just don't understand

BOA loan was 10 ten years ago

if Michael has been paying back the debt month by month

why does he still have $300 million in debt?

why didn't the debt number become smaller?

First of all, that $300 mil amount is an inflated amount that was created by a fat, baldheaded guy with glasses who works for FOX. Michael never owed that much money, as I see it.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/features/stories/2008/01/04/010608_WL_Thriller_WEB.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=5

25 years ago, Michael Jackson couldn't be beat

By MELINDA MAWDSLEY
The Daily Sentinel

Friday, January 04, 2008

Love him or hate him, Michael Jackson matters.

The “King of Pop” is one of the most polarizing artists in history and one of the most popular musicians of all time based on album sales. He is also arguably one of the most innovative.

His iconic career now is overshadowed by accusations of child molestation, but 25 years ago, Jackson couldn’t be beat.

His “Thriller” was the best-selling album in the country.

“Thriller” was released Dec. 1, 1982, and was the No. 1 best-selling album for 37 weeks and America’s top-selling album for two years (1983-1984), according to Billboard magazine.

It is considered one of the greatest albums ever and produced a string of hits, including No. 1 songs “Billie Jean” and “Beat It.”

“Thriller” is the United State’s No. 2 top-selling album of all time. “Eagles: Their Greatest Hits, 1971-1975” is No. 1.
“Thriller” sold an estimated 104 million copies worldwide and produced eight Grammys in 1983.

In 2005, Jackson went on trial and was exonerated of child molestation charges. Since his acquittal, he has seemingly tried to avoid the spotlight.

In February, a 25th anniversary commemorative edition of “Thriller” will be released, according to Sony BMG Entertainment.

Jackson, who turns 50 in August, candidly talked about the original release of “Thriller” and the material on the new album in a rare interview with Joy T. Bennett for December’s Ebony magazine.

The anniversary album will contain classic songs, video and new cuts featuring Jackson and contemporary artists such as Akon, Kanye West, Fergie and will.i.am, both of the Black Eyed Peas, according to Sony BMG Entertainment.

The first single from the new album — Jackson’s first single in nearly five years — will be “The Girl is Mine,” which he originally recorded with Paul McCartney. In this new version, McCartney’s vocals were removed and the song remixed with vocals from will.i.am. It is set to come out Jan. 22.

“It’s a classic, there is no question about it,” said Rock Cesario, owner of Triple Play Records, 530 Main St. “Michael Jackson wouldn’t be the first guy with talent who is strange. I was just listening to the Jackson 5 the other day, and that kid could sing when he was young. Who knows what happened.”

GRAND JUNCTION THRILLED

In 1983, a gallon of gas was $1.29, and a postage stamp was 20 cents. Tom Selleck was America’s heartthrob as Magnum P.I.

Grand Junction was smaller and more conservative than with it is now, but “Thriller” was still a resounding success.
“It sold like hot cakes... I couldn’t keep it in the store,” said Arn McConnell, who was attending Mesa College and working at Airtime, a store on North Avenue, when “Thriller” as released.

McConnell was also the station manager at Mesa College’s radio station, KMSA. He didn’t play songs from “Thriller” because it was too mainstream and didn’t fit his eclectic taste. He said he preferred to play songs not heard on popular radio.

McConnell didn’t buy “Thriller” because it was so mainstream, but he could tell Jackson’s album would be successful.

“It generated hit after hit after hit, which is unusual,” said McConnell, a graduate of Grand Junction High School and Mesa College, now Mesa State College.“The release was huge even in white bread Grand Junction. Culturally, it seemed backwater here, but it probably was not much different (here) than the rest of the country.”

Nowadays, McConnell is a DJ at KAFM community radio and occasionally puts a Jackson song on the air. However, he prefers Jackson’s songs recorded before “Thriller.”
Jack Delmore, a lyric tenor and Mesa State College associate professor of music and music theater, is adamant that he is not a fan of Jackson. But years ago, he listened to “Thriller” over and over again courtesy of his sister’s cassette and vinyl collection.

Yes, he said. She had both.

“Back then, he was kind of a phenomenon,” Delmore said. “Everybody listened to it, of course.”

Delmore was beginning graduate school at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston when “Thriller” came out.
“‘Thriller’ (the song) was more operatic in its scope,” Delmore said. “It was this epic song telling this story with amazing imagery, and there were some great licks. It was fun to listen to. It kept going and going. In that regard, it was fun. You knew you were listening to something that was really unique. His musicality is top-notch or first-rate or cutting-edge.”

Delmore said he will listen to “Thriller” again when the anniversary release comes out in February.

It will be interesting to see how the public receives Jackson in 2007, he said.

“He was very talented,” Delmore said. “Maybe he’ll have a second act, but he’s done so much damage to his public image. I don’t know if they’ll embrace a new album.”

OLD AND NEW FANS

Ryan Stringfellow was a kid when “Thriller” was released. He wasn’t into music or performance, but he idolized his older brothers and their opinions. His middle brother, eight years Stringfellow’s elder, was into Jackson.

“He had the glove,” said Stringfellow, 31, executive director at KAFM. “He taught me the moonwalk. I remember some people I went to school with had the red leather jackets.”
In the early 1980s, with the arrival of MTV and music videos, the visual appeal of musicians became increasingly important. Jackson entered the video scene with the 1983 “Thriller.”
The critically-acclaimed, 13-minute video was named MTV’s top video ever.

It was so popular and ground breaking that it continues to be imitated around the world. One of the more famous recent re-enactments of “Thriller” was done by the inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in the Philippines. That video and others can be watched on www.youtube.com.

“He always wanted to do the next great things,” Stringfellow said. “He was always doing something different. He was innovative.”

With the choreography in the “Thriller” video, Jackson turned presentation into an essential element of music. It is a recipe pop stars still follow.

“People were talking about him,” said Jan Hart, who owns J.B. Hart Music, which has been at 417 Main St. since 1972. “It was not negative. He was a fabulous dancer. Nobody had ever seen (dancing like that).”

As a joke, Hart Music employees autographed a Jackson poster with the words, “To all my friends at Hart Music.” Hart remembered a man asking for the poster while he was purchasing a piano. The store’s employees told the man it wasn’t really Jackson’s autograph.

“He didn’t care,” Hart said.

Nancy Don, a volunteer accountant at KAFM, bought “Thriller” for her 14-year-old daughter as a stocking stuffer last Christmas.

Don said she is trying to introduce her daughter to a wide variety of music that was popular and innovative before she was born.

“She loved it,” Don said.

Last edited:
“He was very talented,” Delmore said. “Maybe he’ll have a second act, but he’s done so much damage to his public image. I don’t know if they’ll embrace a new album
.”

Now this is just a stupid comment, lol. He WAS talented? God, people are dumbbbbbbb. And HE hasn't done "so much damage" to his career, a series of events outside of his control have done that damage. Damn. And plenty of people bought "History", "Blood On The Dance Floor" and "Invincible", so believe me, they'll buy a new record.

Last edited:
.”

Now this is just a stupid comment, lol. He WAS talented? God, people are dumbbbbbbb. And HE hasn't done "so much damage" to his career, a series of events outside of his control have done that damage. Damn. And plenty of people bought "History", "Blood On The Dance Floor" and "Invincible", so believe me, they'll buy a new record.

Amen to that! I swear some people just DO NOT THINK! And it's pathetic!

First of all, that $300 mil amount is an inflated amount that was created by a fat, baldheaded guy with glasses who works for FOX. Michael never owed that much money, as I see it.
I do not believe that Michael ever owed such money either. If you go through the claims rationally, none of it makes any sense. What does make sense is that the money was a loan to the company, ie, Sony/Atv. Which would have been the only reason why Sony was very much involved in the renegotiation. We all know that the media was never going to tell the truth about that loan. So they claim that it was a loan to MJ. It never made any sense and it still doesn't.

Last edited:
New artist 18 year old Tyra B lists Michael as a major influence on her MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/tyrab

Tyra B, whose album title reflects her dedication to her craft, has been developing and perfecting her immense, wide-ranging talent since elementary school. That’s when she started entering talent shows and became determined to become an entertainer. Singers were cool. Dancers were great. But she looked up to the total packages, entertainers like Usher and Michael Jackson.

“People like that are the ones that influenced me,” says the singer, whose passion equals her talent. “They weren’t just singers. They had the all-around package and I feel that’s really important for an artist these days. In order to sell records, you’ve got to be an artist, a star, a performer. You’ve got to have all those elements.”

The potent songs on Past Due provide Tyra B the platform to showcase her vast artistry. The future smash “Givin’ Me A Rush” gives a nod to both Michael Jackson’s “Human Nature” and Paula Abdul’s “Rush, Rush” and focuses on the bliss love creates, how a person can make you feel good just by their presence. “Me Without You” examines another aspect of love: that of being incomplete without your partner. On this moving ballad, Tyra sings, “You dot my Is, you cross my Ts/Me without you is like L O without the V E.” Elsewhere, the piano-accent “Good To You” focuses on being a friend to a former lover.

I just don't understand

BOA loan was 10 ten years ago

if Michael has been paying back the debt month by month

why does he still have $300 million in debt?

why didn't the debt number become smaller?

Excellent question..!!

this is why.. I've been focused on the business side of Mj.. because all that broke crap

NEVER...........MADE.....................SENSE!!

Last edited:
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=e53936a4-2be7-4587-8052-eea47cfdf408

Prime Your Ears for What Comes Next

Other new albums we can anticipate in the new calendar: Super Furry Animals, Lil’ Wayne, Joe Jackson, Stephen Malkmus (whom I include because so many of you like him and not because I think he’s spookily bad), Daniel Lanois, Metallica, AC/DC, Built to Spill, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs, Nine Inch Nails, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, the Killers, Dr Dre, Raconteurs, Queen (with Paul Rodgers; and, no, that’s not Freddie Mercury’s corpse walking through the door with his ghastly teeth grinning in happy rictus as he warbled “Nevermore”), Patti Smith, U2, the original lineup of Roxy Music (including Brian Eno), Tortoise, Spiritualized, REM, Nas, and Ladytron.

:huh: Wow, 2008 is going to be a GREAT year in music. There is a lot of new stuff from several of my favourite acts coming out.

As for MJ, our radio station is already talking about the new album. They even said a new single is to be expected any day now. Oh the hype!

do not believe that Michael never owed such money either. If you go through the claims rationally, none of it makes any sense. What does make sense is that the money was a loan to the company, ie, Sony/Atv.

the loan was a personal one to mj it has nothing to with it being a loan to sony/atv. i dont get where u are getting that from ask ppl such as aveeno and others who have the docs and have posted the details for everyone since the refianancing.aslong as mj sorts it out and keeps the ranch after the end of the month thats all that matters.

the loan was a personal one to mj it has nothing to with it being a loan to sony/atv. i dont get where u are getting that from ask ppl such as aveeno and others who have the docs and have posted the details for everyone since the refianancing.aslong as mj sorts it out and keeps the ranch after the end of the month thats all that matters.
Where is your evidence that is was a personal loan. have you got papers tp prove it. You sure did not get thast from |MJ. Nobody borrows personal loan to the tune of 300 mil. No bank would lend that type of money for personal use. That type of money ib borrowed by large business and govts. :huh:
The only people who have ever made the claim that MJ borrowed that money was the media and we know how reliable they are. Whenever Sony/ATV do anything right, Sony ges the credit. Anything else, MJ gets the blame. That money was borrowed on behalf of the business to buy more catalogues. It was a joined venenture by Mj and sony. That was why Sony was involved in th e renegotiation. It makes sense to me. The other story make s no sense at all.

Last edited:
as i said the info was posted by respected posters like aveeno and others who obtained the documents from the courthouse. they clarifyed what was going on when ppl were thinking that mj had just sold 25 % of the sony atv. and yes banks will lend such huge amounts of money to a person aslong as they have asserts that are worth more than the amount the person is asking for. mj used his 50% of sony atv as colleteral as its worth far more than approx 300 mill. all the refianancingwas done in the summer re the "300" mill loan. whats hopefully been sorted is the 30 plus mill mj owes from the ranch and lawsuits and all the leins those ppl have on the ranch

as i said the info was posted by respected posters like aveeno and others who obtained the documents from the courthouse. they clarifyed what was going on when ppl were thinking that mj had just sold 25 % of the sony atv. and yes banks will lend such huge amounts of money to a person aslong as they have asserts that are worth more than the amount the person is asking for. mj used his 50% of sony atv as colleteral as its worth far more than approx 300 mill. all the refianancingwas done in the summer re the "300" mill loan. whats hopefully been sorted is the 30 plus mill mj owes from the ranch and lawsuits and all the leins those ppl have on the ranch
Post it then, lets have a look at it. That money was supposed to have been borrowed in the late 90's around the same time when Sony/Atv made a huge purchase of some catalogue. Nobody borrws 3 oo mil for private use, not even MJ.

Nobody borrws 3 oo mil for private use, not even MJ.

who said it was for private use. mj is/was involved in many business deals/companies. its not like he took outs loans just to buy some more urns lol well i hope not.lol

aveeno and others have the documents and posted the details many times. they are well repsected.and a couple of papers actually reported the facts instead of claimimg mj sold 25% aswell as sonys option to buy 25% up until the end of march. so mj would get a lump sum that would pay off everything. u will need to pm her if u want the doucments posted. i really dont see what the big deal is.we all knew about these loans during the trial when they were shown to be real. heck mj claimed in 2002 to have written a cheque for 500 mill lol..it seems that u are desperate for these loans not to be true or for them to be sony/atv company loans when the documents and mj refianancing etc show the complete opposite.

I think with someone like Michael Jackson, it's hard to say where the person ends and the corporation begins. Yes, the loans were taken out by Michael Jackson, but since he is as much a business as he is a person, it's very likely that a lot of it was used for investments and not just consumption.

who said it was for private use. mj is/was involved in many business deals/companies. its not like he took outs loans just to buy some more urns lol well i hope not.lol

aveeno and others have the documents and posted the details many times. they are well repsected.and a couple of papers actually reported the facts instead of claimimg mj sold 25% aswell as sonys option to buy 25% up until the end of march. so mj would get a lump sum that would pay off everything. u will need to pm her if u want the doucments posted. i really dont see what the big deal is.we all knew about these loans during the trial when they were shown to be real. heck mj claimed in 2002 to have written a cheque for 500 mill lol..it seems that u are desperate for these loans not to be true or for them to be sony/atv company loans when the documents and mj refianancing etc show the complete opposite.
I read the same document you read. It talked about a dual agreement where both MJ and sony had first refusal. MJ also agree to buy out Sony for the same amount. That document said Nothing about MJ personally borrowing 300 mils. That was the media spin. In fact it is Sony/atv that will pay the money back, not MJ. It stands to reason therefore that Sony/atv borrowed the money. Of course MJ's signature would be on the form as well as sony's. That is why sony was at the renegotiation table and for no other reason.

Last edited:
money money money money.... Money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

that's all people seem to think about..

Back