Should Michael support Barack Obama or someone other?

yeah he doesnt get involved in politics interms of voting and what not.

I know he's not this religion anymore -- but for the record JW don't do politics. He goes into it a little more in the Ebony magazine.

I know he's not this religion anymore -- but for the record JW don't do politics. He goes into it a little more in the Ebony magazine.
Does he? I only recall him touching on it indirectly. When he talks about global warming you can hear he is conflicted between saying that we need to do something and his background as JW that says leave it up to God. That struck me when I listened to him and when I read it as well.

It made me wonder about whether he would take a stand on other issues 'this time around'.

Global warming shouldn't be about politics however, regardless of how it is being presented.

I think Michael only performed for Clinton because he asked him to. He may not be into politics, but he is not unduly rude towards the ones who reach out to him.

Does he? I only recall him touching on it indirectly. When he talks about global warming you can hear he is conflicted between saying that we need to do something and his background as JW that says leave it up to God. That struck me when I listened to him and when I read it as well.

It made me wonder about whether he would take a stand on other issues 'this time around'.

Global warming shouldn't be about politics however, regardless of how it is being presented.

Nah he doesn't go into the religion but I beleive he said something like he was raised not to get into that or something - i only read the article once.. so

yeah he doesnt get involved in politics interms of voting and what not.
Sorry, but "voting" and "getting involved in politics" are two different things.
I believe it's wrong not to vote.
Our right to vote is part of the democratic system.
By not voting you basically say "I don't care".

I actually don't like it when celebs get involved with politics e.g Ophrah supporting Obama, they should let peep make their own Damn decisions!:lol: I see it like a sort of 'abuse-of-power' in the celebs part. (imo)

I love the way MJ answered that qs on Ebony. That's how it should be done. That's democracy!

You really gotta understand the religious values he was raised up on though :) By not voting isn't exactly saying, I don't care -- But more like whatever happens it's in gods hands anyways..

Sorry, but "voting" and "getting involved in politics" are two different things.
My JW friend does not vote and it is because of her religion. It is what she was taught.

I think he should support no one. He's an artist, a musician, not a politician.

i think MJ publicly stays away from picking sides precisely because of what's going on in this thread. :lol:

No, he shouldn't. Politics changes on a consistent basis and isn't the way to signifcant change, imo. Shifting people's perceptions and how they view life is, and Michael fights for that every day.

Last edited:
I like the fact that Mike doesn't get involved in the candidate seletion process. That can be pretty risky. I can guarantee you though that he'll be there once one of the candidates has been selected! Mike just waits to see who is going to be in POWER and then gets with them because then the that gives him more power. Get it? B)

Ticie, The JACKSONOLOGIST

Mike Does not like getting involved with politics.. "man" does not run the world.. God does. He's stated that polititions don't control natural disastors..

As he knows his business for a while I'd be surprised if he'd take sides... at least this early.
But as I think of him as a very intelligent person, I also think he has probably a pretty clear opinion on things very independent from any political corner and will take a stand if he sees it's needed.
You can make any matter a 'political' matter if you want.

He should do what he wants but i know he doesn,t get into that stuff , he said it himself so many times.

I think it's ok for celebrities to publicly support politicians IF they really know what they're talking about. Just supporting a candidate because they're from a certain ethnic group or because they're a certain gender is not good.

I'd be very impressed with MJ if he ever were to show true insight into political matters. However, because of the way he was raised, I doubt he will. He went to the White House when Reagan was president but he also performed for Clinton, so he doesn't really seem to take a stand for either party.

I'm sure that MJ is highly intelligent and knows a lot of things, but I'm not sure he knows all that much about political issues. I think he views world events on a more personal and emotional level. Like he might not know everything that's happening in Irak or all the events that led up to the war, but I'm sure he's acutely aware of and sensitive to the human suffering that goes on.

So in conclusion, unless he really know what the candidates stand for, he shouldn't publicly support any of them.

I agree

I don't like watching celebrities get involved with politics either. They're all involved for different reasons, either they're friends with the candidate or they're for certain policies.. or in some cases they're doing it as "a favour" or seen in that way.

If you want to flex your democratic muscles and say "hey here comes the election get ready to do your bit and vote for the changes you want to see happen" then I don't think it helps to have celebrities who clearly have an influence on what we buy, after all they help us choose which brand of clothing we will wear, which electronic company we will go with and they help sell to us the idea of which candidate is the one for us.

I think it's important that when people go to vote that they are voting on what the candidates stand for and what they are fighting for, as opposed to choosing who Michael Jackson likes.

I admire Michael for not speaking about his political views (if he has any) it's a reflection of him being very aware of his position within society. Thus allowing us to be smart enough to make our own decisions.

Last edited:
I could agree with Michael encouraging people to vote, but keep a distance as to who they should vote for. Oprah is taking sides now very publicly and I must say, regardless of who she is supporting, that's a direction I don't like. I would prefer if she would take a role in which she informs people about the choices they have, so they can make up their minds for themselves. But in this day and age, I think that option is long gone.

michael's got enough problems of his own to be enmeshed with politics but i don't see anything wrong if he takes sides but not on the basis of racial color but because he believes and supports the issues that a candidate stands for.

however, at this point he has his own issues to deal with. he is in the process of settling his debts and hey, he has his music to attend to. isnt that where we want him to be?

michael is not an active jw anymore but he still has the faith.
and as for the initial question that was asked michael should do whatever he wants to. period.

It's perfectly ok for MJ or any artist to not support one candidate publicly. BUT I don't see it as a huge deal if they decide to do so. In my country it's very common that certain candidates have the public support of artists or other well-known people. Politics is just part of our cultural scene, and arts and politics cannot be separated. But I agree that the supporters should really know what they are talking about.

It's not possible for a person to be not political. Even MJ has made political statements, either in songs or in interviews.

i am sure that if michaelk wants to he can get involved in this at any time
i for one would love to see more pple stand up for this man
its about time the usa gets a fresh wind in the white house :lol:

I actually don't like it when celebs get involved with politics e.g Ophrah supporting Obama, they should let peep make their own Damn decisions!:lol: I see it like a sort of 'abuse-of-power' in the celebs part. (imo)

I love the way MJ answered that qs on Ebony. That's how it should be done. That's democracy!

Sorry Forever, I was not addressing you, but the one below you. I think I pressed the wrong button.
That is for you to believe and for me to disagree. I was involved in politics from the age of 6. I campagned for political parties and never missed an election night, setting up all night to hear the result. I was as stanch and passionate as any political animal. I even studied goverment and politics to an advanced level.I visited parliament and lobbied MP's. I have been on countless political demonstrations.
It suddenly dawned on me that I was being had and I was being lied to and that political parties were just covers for the large conglamorates. It doesn't matter who is in power, nothing changes.
So please, don't tell intelligent people that they are wrong not to vote. You vote if you want.
I believe that the JW realised this fact a long time ago and was educating their members that they were being used as pawns by powerful forces who seek to legitimize their wars and pillerage of other countries belongings.
I say political parties are wrong and voting is a cover that makes us feel that we are involved in decision making, when we are not.
Go Michael.

Last edited:
michael's got enough problems of his own to be enmeshed with politics but i don't see anything wrong if he takes sides but not on the basis of racial color but because he believes and supports the issues that a candidate stands for.

however, at this point he has his own issues to deal with. he is in the process of settling his debts and hey, he has his music to attend to. isnt that where we want him to be?
Michael's personal problems shoulds have nothing to do with the matter. Everybody participating in the elections have personal problems of their own. even the candidates. I don't see why MJ's personal problems should exempt him.

I believe that the JW realised this fact a long time ago and was educating their members that they were being used as pawns by powerful forces who seek to legitimize their wars and pillerage of other countries belongings.
I say political parties are wrong and voting is a cover that makes us feel that we are involved in decision making, when we are not.
Go Michael.

The JW are a religious group like any other, you can even include the christian religions here. Religion is also a form of politics and they are using their members as well to spread their dogmas. It can be as manipulative as politics, if not more.

I strongly believe that we should make use of our democratic rights, because in the end, politicians have to do what we want them to do. That is unless you're living in a dictatorship. Just look around what's happening in countries where democracy is just a word.

The JW are a religious group like any other, you can even include the christian religions here. Religion is also a form of politics and they are using their members as well to spread their dogmas. It can be as manipulative as politics, if not more.

I strongly believe that we should make use of our democratic rights, because in the end, politicians have to do what we want them to do. That is unless you're living in a dictatorship. Just look around what's happening in countries where democracy is just a word.
Democracy is a cover for dictatorship. It reminds me of the store that sells food as a cover for selling feefer. Everyone knows what the real product is but no one is talking. All US presidents have supported dictatorship in the past and the British democracy have established dictatorships under the euphamism of colonialism. The only people who believes in democracy are the powerless. Voting was meant to keep the people quiet and make them think that they are involved ibn the decision making, but in fact they are not. Voting once every 4 years doesn't make you powerful. It does nothing.
Every institution is political. Christianity is no exception, but the JW did get it right about political party politics. Even this decision os political by nature.
My issue with you is that you are saying that is is wrong to refuse to vote, and I say NO, not when the people who you are voting for are just using you as a cover to achieve thier ends. Eduactional awareness of what is really going on in the party political fraud is what we should be aiming for, not dirty party politics.

No real change for the better was ever brought about throught party politics or the election box. Not by democracy even. ASk the real heros of the world how they achieved change in society.
Party politics is amongst the biggest fraud we have today. It is the opium of the people.

Last edited:
Back