Janet talks about Discipline

SunsetDriver

Proud Member
from Janet's biography page on Def Jam Island Records website
http://www6.islandrecords.com/site/artist_bio.php?artist_id=679

Sitting across from a roaring fireplace on winter afternoon in Vail, Janet is curled up on a dark leather couch as she discusses the unlikely topic of Discipline, the title of her new album. Beyond the floor-to-ceiling window, long graceful branches of towering trees are heavy with snow. In the distance, a lift carries skiers up an imposing mountain awash in white. Janet's wearing a midnight-black sweat suit, her hair pulled back to the nape of her deck. Her body language is relaxed and her eyes are smiling. She's trim, and also a little hoarse, having just fought off a cold. The whisper-quiet texture of her voice adds to the intimacy of the conversation.

"Discipline has been much on my mind," she says. "It's the idea that unifies the songs on this record. As a concept, and even a lifestyle, discipline goes extremely deep. It can be applied to so much about ourselves. In my case, I see it as one of defining aspects of my character. Discipline was there for me from the start. But it was not until this record that I began to understand its full meaning. "In putting Discipline out front-- as both the title of the album and title of a song about sexual surrender--I wanted to announce that I was venturing into new creative waters. That meant working with producers like Jermaine Dupri, Rodney Jerkins, and Ne-Yo, whose songs spoke to the immediacy of my emotions. Like all my records, this one, whether intentional or not, has autobiographical roots. It's difficult for me to work any other way. I don't feel it, if I don't believe it, I can't sing it.

"So Discipline, as a storyline, begins in my childhood which someone could see as a classic study in discipline. Discipline was part of a family culture that I absorbed. I was born with it. "I also believe that discipline has given me the confidence to jump out of the nest. When L.A. Reid, Chairman of Island Def Jam, and I discussed co-executive producing this record, we both agreed that the feeling had to adventuresome and fresh. I was interested in exploring musical scenarios-some exotic, many erotic, but all deeply emotional. I wanted to push the envelope. And I'm glad that `Discipline,' both as a song and an album, does just that.

i don't see how anybody can do a song unless it's somehow autobio in nature...i look forward to the cd

cant wait for it to be released. :woohoo:
Me nether! This will be just what the doctor ordered!

i don't see how anybody can do a song unless it's somehow autobio in nature...i look forward to the cd

To be honest I think when peeps sing or write something that isn't true to their feelings/emotions it just doesn't work, period! I think its very difficult to lie in a song because peeps can tell when the person singing is faking it. That's why there are 'singers' who have written songs which don't reflect their true feelings and sang them and despite huge promos etc the albums, songs suck! Its also a reason why singer/songwriters like MJ connect deeply to many people through their songs. Peeps feel as though they know them because they feel their 'truth' in the songs. (imo)

Janet did an interview on the Morning show today:

Last edited:
Back