Confirmed New Album Collaborations & Info/Quotes

damien shields

Proud Member
Hi there guys, im Damien, resident news dude at Maximum Jackson. I thought i'd start off here by posting a thread I created at another forum (MJNO back when it existed), designed to help people distinguish between fact and rumour regarding the NEW album MJ is working on.

This thread is designed to prove:
  1. YES - There IS a NEW album coming
  2. NO - Thriller 25 was NOT that new album

This thread will show WHO Michael has collaborated with to date, and what they have been able to say about their experiences so far.

This thread contains STRICTLY QUOTES ONLY! It will not contain rumours or gossip. All quotes have been checked and definately came from the person I am quoting, in the exact words I have written. I have not used any information that did not come directly from the mouth of someone who has collaberated on the new album, spoken directly to Michael Jackson or been present during a recording session.

The below quotes are in dated order (oldest to newest):
Enjoy:)

**Please note that Michael has made these people sign confidentiality agreements in regards to the finer details of this project**

------------------------------------------

Michael Jackson speaks to Billy Bush from Access Hollywood October 2006
(asked if he is writting music again) I never stopped (smiles).. I'm always writing a potpourri of music, you know, it's how it is.

Will.i.am speaks to Billy Bush from Access Hollywood October 2006
Something needs to put a jolt back in the music industry. And the only thing that can do that is the jolt itself. The energy that sparked the imagination of the kids that are... me, you know, the Justin Timberlake's, we're all products of this. (Motions to Michael) So the only person that can put that jolt back in to that monstrosity of entertainment and music is the one who created that. (Motions to Michael again)

Michael Jackson speaks to reporters at World Music Awards November 2006
(asked if he has started recording new material)
Yes.
(so far its going)
Excellent.
(is the king of pop back)
Yes.
Im putting it together; mainly writing it myself.. and working with other people.

Will.i.am talks to Rolling Stone November 2006
(Published February 8th, 2007)

For a month we probably talked three times a week. He'd be like, "I need you to dig deep inside! Do something that's unprecedented!" He'd hum a little melody over the phone or something. Eight song sketches were conjured out of phone conversations, then we met up in Ireland for a week and finished three ideas. We tracked one song--the running title is "I'm Dreamin'."

He just said, "Great melodies." In January we'll spend a month together. I want it to sound like Off the Wall for today. He's been really open to ideas. But as far as his vocal abilities are concerned, he's still killing everybody.

Will.i.am talks to Billboard.com in January 2007
Man, he still sings like a bird. He could go anywhere. I think we have a real opportunity to do something here. It's either gonna be really big or nobody's gonna care. Ain't no middle ground on this one.

Will.i.am speaks to reporters at Cannes MidemNet Conference January 2007
Michael Jackson is working day and night on this great, great record. I heard and see him in the studio and he is creating a masterpiece. A lot of people in the industry are involved or want to be involved. From producers to marketing people.

Raymone Bain statement re: Michael's current career situation 2007
"He hasn't made up his mind about whether a Vegas show is in the cards for him," stated his rep, Raymone Bain. "He's been in the studio since November 2006 working on his music. He's been presented with various proposals. A Vegas show isn't a priority". "He's in Las Vegas now. He's pretty grounded in Vegas. It's very convenient for producers and songwriters to get to him. He's worked there before. He's been recording with producers Rodney Jerkins, will.i.am and Neff-U"

Akon talks to Rolling Stone in April 2007
I'm excited, im highly excited because I think it's gonna be magic when we get together.
All the stuff that he's going through, that he's been through the past two years, the stuff that's been out in the media... the stuff that hasn't been out, I think he needs to just take all that (and) put it in his records. It's a big story.
Nobody's ever really heard Mike's story... People go by what they heard or what they're told but nobody never really heard him and his story, and what captivated all those movements. If he takes that and accepts what's been out there and expresses his opinion, express his feelings, express what he felt on a record I think it'd take his whole album to a whole 'nother level because the album now becomes a soundtrack of his life from that point to this point and that's something people are gonna want to know about - that's something people are going to want to hear from him. And with his voice, and with our melodies, with the way and how we can bring it across I think it would be incredible.

Big Chuck (uncle of Neff-U) re: Michael's new album tracks
(Michael is) ready to take over the world. He's got some hot records. Will.I.Am did one, Teddy Riley (did one). We're giving Michael a lot of edgy street records. He's putting melodies to some hard party records.

Akon speaks to a reporter July 2007
(asked what he is doing with MJ) Whoo! It's gonna be incredible. He's incredible. I see why now he is so big. He is a genius. Yeah, he's a genius.

Producer Syience SOHH Exclusive July 2007
"I'm actually working on music for him now," he said. "I always wanted to be a part of anything he ever did. Nobody really knows what Michael Jackson is going to do. Even the biggest producers and writers are not sure what's going to happen with that, but we are all sitting back and still creating and trying to get on the project. They asked me to work on the project so we're working on it."

Will.i.am revealing two song titles Feb & August 2007
Rolling Stone magazine article published in February of 2007 stated that the pair had drafted eight new songs and physically tracked one, titled "I'm Dreamin'".
On the 13th of August 2007, will.i.am told reporters at a Black Eyed Peas press conference in South Korea that another track he recorded with Jackson is titled "The Future". Another song title that will.i.am has revealed is "Still The King".

Will.i.am speaks to Times Online in August 2007
[Jackson's] voice is still incredible. It’s not about crazy beats that are going be here today and gone tomorrow, but melodies that will stay for a lifetime.

Will.i.am speaking to Ryan Seacrest in August 2007
I went to Ireland to work with Mike, that was a great experience.
We probably did like 3 or 4 songs - 2 of them are (finished)
I dont know when he's gonna put em out, its his project, ya know - I'd put em out tomorrow!
(how is he doin?) Awesome - (how was he to work with?) The freshest.
When i was with him it was super-duper place, ya know - Flying to Ireland, and being there for like a week, this great facility, great studios, great vibe, great atmosphere - it was just the awesomest.
(the songs) Are just feel-good joints - just really feel-good songs. I wrote 2 songs, then he wrote one song, and we wrote one song together.

Will.i.am talks to Rolling Stone magazine September 2007
We’re taking it day by day, we’ve finished some songs. I like what I’m doing, I’m really happy with it, but it’s not my project to talk about. I could be talking about song titles what they sound like and be excited about it, but those songs I made may not make his record and then I look like an idiot.

Will.i.am at Pepsi/BEP press conference 2007
I've done 3 songs with Michael Jackson now, and maybe it will come out next year - we dont know - but ima continue to work with Michael Jackson.. yep.
(asked about the sound of the tracks) I heard it (laughs). Yeah, its pretty amazing, yep. But i cant, you know its Michael Jackson, I cant talk about it.

Will.i.am talks to AP in September 2007
Just working on records, making music, working on stuff for his next project. I'd be like, ''Hey Mike, you like this?'' (He imitates Jackson's voice) ''It's all right, it's cool. But I think we need something a little bit bigger.'' OK, if you don't want it, I'll just put it over here (on my album). Ain't nothing to me, just drag the little folder to the ''will ''folder (laughs)

Ne-yo backstage at MOBO Awards September 2007
Michael Jackson.. definately workin' with him right now, putting some stuff together. Umm, i can't talk about it a whole lot, you know, he's very much tryin' to keep it mysterious, but ahh, it's definately gonna be something worth checking out.

Will.i.am talks to Trevor Nelson (Radio 1) September 2007
So we're talking on the phone talking about ideas and two months later i fly out to Ireland and we, you know, start making some songs. Then four months later i fly out to Vegas and we make, you know, in the studio again. But about time the record comes out i dont know, he could be like "you know, the songs were cool ya know.. i dont think ima use them". I dont know. All i know is i work with the dude so..

Will.i.am on German MTV in September 2007
(about jackson's new album) Melodies, it's all about the melodies. About the melodies and the king of grooves you will play 10 years from now - Anticipate 10 years from now.

Will.i.am speaks to Kim Halling on The Voice Tv September 2007
I cant even consider Michael Jackson's record a comeback record; i dont think he's ever left. You know, 'Thriller', 'Off The Wall', 'Beat It', 'Billie Jean', 'I'm Bad', 'Dangerous', 'Dirty Diana', like, you still go to clubs around the world, they're still playing this man's music. So regardless if they're not selling, like just come out like ever Tuesday, right.. A record comes out every Tuesday.. and no record has been as monumental as his records. So, you can keep on releasing records every Tuesday but his records will always be important to the planet; So, this is just another Michael Jackson record. You know, and im doing my best to try and, you know, make infectious melodies and nice grooves that could play in the clubs or play on your iphone or ipod or on internet or whatever. Where ever its gonna play, thats what we're trying to make. Workin with Mike, its like, there needs to be a new terminology. Its like, workin' with Michael Jackson!

Kanye West on Michael Jackson October 2007
I'm working on stuff for Michael Jackson. If I like a person's outlet or what a person brings to the table then I'll speak to them.

Will.i.am talks to Sydney (Australia) reporter October 2007
We ... treat Michael Jackson as a new artist and just make songs with infectious melodies. The songs will speak for themselves. I am sworn to silence or Michael is known to get pretty violent (laughs).

Akon to MTV in November 2007
He's a genius. Just to be in the same room [with him], I felt everything I wanted to accomplish in life has been achieved. That aura ... that's how incredible that aura is. We about to shake the world up, man. You know how you be with somebody and you can't even explain [the feeling]? I used to sit and think, 'How does somebody sell so many records and dominate a whole business genre, to a point [where] nobody can't be a part of that without associating with you?' The way he thinks ... some artists think regional, some think national, I was thinking international. He thinks planets. It's on another level."

Michael Jackson talks to Bryan Monrow from Ebony Magazine November 2007
(asked can we expect more of Michael Jackson)
I'm writting alot of stuff right now. I'm in the studio, like, every day. I think, like, the rap thing that is happening now, when it first came out, I always felt that it was gonna take more of a melodic structure to make it more universal, 'cause not everyone speak English. (laughs) And you're limited to your country. But when you have a melody, and everybody can hum a melody, then that's when it became France, The Middle East, everywhere! All over the world because they put that melodic, linear thread in there. You have to be able to hum it, from the farmer in Ireland to the lady who scrubs toilets in Harlem to anybody who can whistle to a child poppin' their fingers. You have to be able to hum it.

Ne-yo speaks to The Voice November 16th 2007

Yes, yes. I am currently submitting songs for Michael Jackson's new project.. ahh I don't know when it's coming out.. Really not much else i can say about it other than I have had conversations with the man.. Ive actually met him.. You know we talked about where he wants to go this time and everything and um, the KEY thing he was saying is that to keep it very hush hush.. he don't want no song titles coming out, no nothin. He want's the world to be shocked and surprised when it comes out.
(Reporter says will.i.am said it might come out next year [2008])
Um, it's possible, it's possible. He said he definately wants it to come out soon. Yeah.
(Asked about will.i.am calling Ne-yo about working with MJ)
Yes yes, we are actually supposed to be doing some songs together but you know his schedule has him over here and mine has me over here so we're trying to work it out.

Will.i.am speaking to reporters November 2007
The sh** is awesome.
(when will the album be finished?) I dont know. Mike, Mike is ahh, he's real like.. fine-tune king. Whenever he says 'go'.

Ne-yo gives radio interview December 2007
(when asked what he did for Michael Jackson) I can't talk about it. They won't let me, they, you know - He wants to world to be shocked. They said, let it be known that your working with him, but you cant give no song titles, you cant go into detail. And out of respect for the King you, i gotta.. (stops talking) Thats real respect right there.
(asked when its being released) I'm not sure. He's taking his time on it and being extra extra picky, you know. This is gonna be a big album for him - So he's taking his time, yeah.
(asked how many songs he submitted) I've submitted a bunch of songs, you, we have conversations about it but i dont know exactly what he's gonna use.

Akon talks on radio interview December 2007
(asked why he got in late) I was workin on MJ's new project. Yeah man, working on his new project, getting ready to launch his album. Oh man he got a surprise for you guys for Superbowl. Yeah man the guy's about to and take over 2008.
(asked is it a performance) I cant say anything.
I didnt say he was gonna perform. Im not gonna tell you too much, i may have told you too much already.
You see Mike has something totally separate going on, its just happening around the Superbowl time, so, ill give you a hint - His prescence will be felt around that time.

Carlos Santana on Mas Vale Tarde with Alex Cambert January 2008
Michael, called me not too long ago and he asked me to work with him and Quincy Jones which both are back working together again.

Neyo on BET honors red carpet January 2008
Um, things are coming along nicely. You know Mike is definately being very picky, which he needs, you know, which he needs to be you know this is a very important album.. he's taking his time, but umm.. I think its gonna be good, I think its gonna be good.

Akon speaks to LIVE105.3 pre-Grammys February 8 2008
Yeah [i did a song] For his tribute album. And im pretty much, you know doing the majority of his new album as well.
(is it being recorded in the states?) Well, depends, where ever we decide to do it you know whatever Mike's feelin'. We might fly off to Aruba for that day and do a record and fly back. That's how he moves, yeah.

Neyo speaks to Artisan News pre-Grammys February 2008
Asked if him and will.i.am were supposed to be working together on Michael's album..
Yeah! That was a little while ago.. We been trying, but we still haven't worked together on Michael's stuff.. I mean because he (will.i.am) was in the process of promoting an album and I was doing my thing so we never really got it together.. but, I have been working with Mike, doing some stuff for him, submitting some songs to him and it's coming along nicely.

----Thriller 25 in stores here. Everything after this point was said after Thriller 25 came out-----

60 seconds with Ne-Yo in February 2008
I think (releasing Thriller 25) is a good idea before he goes with the new album. He's coming up with a new one that I'm working with him on.

Akon speaks to The Voice Late February 2008
Oh Mike is good.. Mike is so focused. His next project is gonna be amazing.
(Asked: Are you gonna work with him?)
Absolutely
Have you already started working with him?
Absolutely.. So look out for that, its gonna be crazy.

Ne-Yo talks about MJ album on 27 April 2008
What can you tell us?
Uh, nothing that would get me in trouble. He was very adamant about nobody knowing what's going on. No explanations, not even song titles. But we are working together and it's coming along nicely. He's being very selective.

Akon speaks to Dave and Jimmy 27 April 2008
Q: Did we hear that during the week, just last week, you were with Michael Jackson in the studio?
Akon: I might have been. (laughter) Yo, im sorry I'm not fully, like, informational today but it's like the questions you guys are askin' are all like, covert operations.
Q: Asked was it as good working with MJ as Akon thought it would be..
Akon: Oh but it actually was when we did the first record.
Q: Yeah you obviously did the song with him, was it cool? What was it like?
Akon: It was incredible.
Q: Is he as cool as he seems?
Akon: He's the coolest dude you ever could meet.
Q: Does he hang out, or does he just like show up?
Akon: Well that's one thing he don't do much. He don't hang out. He would like to, but he just can't you know. He would love to though but he cant. You gotta go after hours.

Part Two: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50680

Last edited:
You're welcome. The thread took me 8 hours to make, checking every quote and its reliabilty from videos and audios, and writting the transcrips by hand. Its all reliable. Im not a fan of rumours. Ill update it whenever something new comes in. I think its fun reading it all, putting it all together. It all adds up to an extremely amazing prospect.:)

Im so happy that you're a member of mjjc damien, i loved your posts in mjno :) and the o2 arena thread :) thanks for this :)

Its great to see some familiar faces from MJNO. Nice to see you here Damien, I have always enjoyed reading your posts!

Welcome.

Reading all that just excites me to no end! I like the way they keep talking about MELODIES. I think Michael is the king of melodies. When he does them, he does them well.

Thanks for all your hard work bringing this to the fans. And welcome you are something else. thanks.

I agree it should be a sticky, hope a mod does that, nice job damien :flowers:

Last edited:
Had a feeling you'd bring this thread over. Good job noob.

:drunk:

I remember this thread from MJNO! Thanks Damien for putting it (back) up! :)

I found this as well...

SOHH Exclusive: "Hollywood" Producer Syience Recalls Jay-Z Meeting, Talks Upcoming Project With Michael Jackson
written by Janeé Bolden
Monday - July 9, 2007

"I'm actually working on music for him now," he said. "I always wanted to be a part of anything he ever did. Nobody really knows what Michael Jackson is going to do. Even the biggest producers and writers are not sure what's going to happen with that, but we are all sitting back and still creating and trying to get on the project. They asked me to work on the project so we're working on it."

PS: I copied & pasted an excerpt of the interview where they are specifically talking about Michael Jackson.

The full article can be found here: http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/12036

Thanks for this!! I'm getting all the time just more and more excited..

Thanks a lot Damien. Glad you're a member here - great thread. :yes:

I remember this thread from MJNO! Thanks Damien for putting it (back) up! :)

I found this as well...

PS: I copied & pasted an excerpt of the interview where they are specifically talking about Michael Jackson.

The full article can be found here: http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/12036

Updated:) Thanks. If anyone can link me to where Will.i.am speaks about using "real instruments" and how its gonna be the "best music you heard in a long time" or something to that description i would appreciate it:) I am unable to locate it.

Thank u so much Damien for this great thread....u're welcome....we'll see on myspace too.. ;-)

Thank you for doing this thread. :flowers:

And I'd like to say hi to all the 'newbie' members.

Last edited:
Damien,
Thanks so much for this thread - what a great idea to put all those quotes together.

Yeah, thanks a million.

Nice to put the pieces together!

Hey dude I've seen this thread also on mjno.com :)
its nice that we all have gotten to mjjcommunity.com where we can chat further :D
greetz
Eterna.
(former mj-imitator.nl @ mjno.com)

mj and quincy again. that settles it. it's happening. i look forward to the results, along with eveybody he's working with on his new project. thanks for ur hard work on this thread full of quotes. :)

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know all that. I haven't been so active in the last year.. That was interesting. I think Michael is coming back!! It would be SOOO cool.

Back