HIStory Review

Tony R

Proud Member
HIStory review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as some have asked, I've posted my review of HIStory, again from recollection alone. I hope you enjoy - please post your reviews of my review!

Michael Jackson - HIStory Review

Every time the world had awaited a Michael Jackson album before it was for one reason and one reason only. The music. Now, everything had changed. On the back end of the ground and record breaking Dangerous Tour in 1993, accusations had come to light. I could embellish and write a full book on these as many have, but this is a music review. Suffice it to say, these were denied, but the matter was settled out of court and Michael Jackson's career would never be the same.

So, what was Michael to do? Go into hiding and retire from the music scene? Continue to make perfect pop, rock and soul but ignore everything that had gone on? Or channel everything that had happened into one creative musical output.

Of course the man chose the latter. The result became HIStory: Past, Present and Future Book 1.. The idea of a Greatest Hits had been floating around for some time, including a possible 'Decade' album in 1990. Now the time was opportune to remind everybody why Michael was the most successful entertainer on the century.

So, HIStory was in 2 discs: HIStory begins. 15 of some of the best tracks of all time (although not my ideal choices, no Who Is It, Will You Be There, PYT) and HIStory continues, 15 brand new tracks. This reviews the latter disc.

Well, if anybody thought that Michael was going to be a shrinking violet about the allegations and not talk about them. HIStory the album blows that out the water. No track more so than the first track and lead single.

Scream was a duet with sister Janet, who had always shied away from duetting with her brother while she defined herself as a major solo artist. Now the time was right for a show of solidarity. Scream tears you apart from the first listen and leaves you stunned. The track is an out-pouring of anger, resentment, frustration and even hate. Yes, they really do say 'Stop f***king with me'. For about 10 seconds in the track you get to take a breather when Janet speaks for us all to say "Oh my God, can't believe what I saw as I turned on the TV this evening, I was disgusted by all the injustice" before the track tears up again. Accompanied by a visually beautiful & stunning video by the superb Mark Romanek, Scream set the HIStory ball rolling but somehow eluded the top spot in both the UK & US. By the way, if there's any ever doubt about the lack of taste of the great British public, remember it was Robson & Jerome who took the number one spot!

As on Dangerous, HIStory is full of tracks that 'only Michael could make'. 'They Don't Care About Us' is one of them. After the spoken intro, the track demands the attention of the listener with its staccato drum beat that provides the hook through the entire song. Again, the song is about injustice, but this time not just for Michael but for all minorities and anyone who has suffered at the hands of bullies. Jackson spits out the lyrics furiously to the beat. Yet another track to cause controversy, Michael was forced to re-issue the album after accusations of anti-semitism. Writing & producing the song by himself, (should we forget how much of a genius he is). 'They Don't Care…' is possibly the best song on the album, it was a Top 5 hit in the UK as the 4th single.

After the anguish and pain of the first two tracks comes cleansing rain. This leads into possibly Michael's best ballad ever, 'Stranger in Moscow'. From a man who's record includes She's Out Of My Life and Heal The World, that's saying something. Lyrically, Michael's still talking about the last 2 years here but more on a personal level. Such honesty has never been spoken about before 'Feel abandoned in my fame' he sings with such beauty you could cry – as many have. Not too oblivious to how his career has been damaged he goes on to say 'Swift & sudden fall from grace'. Again, the writing of the song is beautifully created as he uses the freedom crushing iron curtain of the Eastern Bloc as a metaphor for his treatment.

Track 4 is 'This Time Around' and yes, we're still writing from experience here. The track could have been called 'No More Mr Nice Guy' as Michael tells you he ain't taking no sh*t anymore. Not the best of Michael's tracks by any means, and it's maybe the first time in 4 albums where you think, actually this could be a B side.

It doesn't matter though because then, here it comes. A track so beautiful and meaningful that I am literally welling up writing this now. 'Earth Song' has to go on my 'only Michael could make this' list because it is the audible work of genius. If Michael Jackson had only made this track in his recording career he would still have been remembered. It's the first track on HIStory to be dealing with a subject other than the allegations, the one closest to Michael's heart – nature, suffering, healing. The 'ooh, aah' chorus mystifies the listener at first, but then it all comes together as the song climaxes and crescendos into a hurricane of gospel and brass. With a video to match the passion of the song, 'Earth Song' became Michael's biggest selling single ever in the UK as it secured the much coveted Christmas Number One spot during a six week reign in 1995

But back to business, there was one man who made the allegations against Michael personal – now it's payback time. 'D.S.' is about one man (should I say who for fear of slander? I don't need to) and Michael gives it to him both barrels, quite literally if the final note of the song is the gunshot many believe it to be. D.S. is the album's obligatory rock track, and for me it disappoints – but only in comparison to it's preceding brothers - as it's no Give In To Me. It is still a good song with some great guitar work. Again, the personal & honest nature of the lyric stuns, "They wanna get my ass, dead or alive" – he's under no illusions that some people hate him.

So what were the allegations all about? – in one word on track 7, Michael answers them – 'Money'. You'd do anything for it. Of course they would, that's why they accepted the settlement. Sorry, off at a tangent again. Similar in style and lyrics to Backstabbers by the O'Jays, Money lambastes the whole system of greed and the 'sue me' culture that has taken over the world.

Track 8 is a mystery to the fanbase. The boomerang of Michael Jackson's catalogue. 'Come Together' first appeared in the 1988 film Moonwalker, surfaced again as a B-side to Remember The Time and Hello! Here it is again as a shortened version. There's no doubt that Jackson's version of the Beatles classic is amazing and surpasses the original but why is it here? To balance up the 2 discs into 15 tracks? Possibly, but it's a good chance for those who hadn't got the track to hear it.

Another Michael classic follows, the R Kelly penned 'You Are Not Alone' having the unique distinction of being the first ever song to debut at #1 in the US. The second single from HIStory, it couldn't have been any different that it's predecessor. A heartfelt, old fashioned love song that, like a lot of Jackson tracks, comes into it's own in the last 2 minutes where Michael's vocals soar alongside the lush instrumental.

The balladeering continues on 'Childhood'. Michael had been revealing snippets about his painful childhood on the Oprah Winfrey interview and the subsequent Grammys where he won the prestige Legend award. He channels that into his songwriting on this sweet, autobiographical number where he laments on his lost youth. If Michael Jackson has an epitaph, it should be 'Before you judge me, try hard to love me'. The song was a double A side with Scream and became the theme to 'Free Willy 2'.

Following 'Leave Me Alone' on Bad, comes another attack on the press, this time with more reason to. 'Tabloid Junkie' starts with a concoction of different false news reports Jackson has endured before the tune blasts out. If the verses are hard to make out, then the chorus leaves you in no doubt as to the song's message. We, the public, are also pleaded with to do our part, "You don't have to read it … To buy it is to feed it". It's a funky, danceable number and the auditory sensitive ones can make out Michael's beatboxing skills in the songs arrangement.

Next is a lost classic, '2 Bad' is a breathtaking hip-hop/dance hybrid that should have been a single. The song was to re-appear on the excellent Ghosts short film later on with an equally exceptional dance routine. With a cameo rap by Shaquille O'Neal, the song is another swipe at haters and an ode to his inner strength. 'I'm right back where I wanna be – I'm standing though you're kicking me!' The production on here is perfect with beats that unconsciously make you move. An extremely contempory song, that could easily hit the top spot 12 years later if released.

Title track 'HIStory' is next, and for those that only heard the remix that was issued as a single, I implore you to visit the original. Not just a song but a trip through history as samples of the groundbreaking geniuses of our time are played through a two minute introduction (one of which of course is a young Michael!). The song itself is homage to self-belief, to not let anyone tell you you're not good enough. Boyz II Men join Michael for the chorus as the song builds up. Subsequent analysis of the lyrics may give you the idea that Michael is talking to himself in the song, "Don't let no-one drag you down" and "Keep flying 'til you are the king of the hill".

Next comes a stunner, the sounds of a young girl opening a music box and singing along to the tune fill two minutes before the powerful chords of 'Sunrise Sunset' come in. You have been introduced to 'Little Susie'. Take a trip down her life as you hear a song different to anything Michael has done before. It is an ode to a girl killed by neglect. Hauntingly beautiful, lyrically & vocally, the song stands out as a masterclass in songwriting. I've spoken about Michael's diversity before but quite how an album can have songs as dissimilar as They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song and Little Susie on it make me shake my head in wonder.

For an adult solo career that was now pushing 25 years, Michael Jackson had not previously released a cover version, but HIStory had two, the aforementioned and well known Come Together and this less recognised 'Smile' originally by one of Michael's heroes Charlie Chaplin. Michael's version is inspirational, magnificent and awe-inspiring. Vocally, he's never sounded as good and the arrangement is perfect. The song is bittersweet when it's listened to in the context of the album. An inspired choice of album closer as the listener was starting to think that Michael was full of rage and hatred for his treatment, he then tells you that 'life is still worthwhile'. The paradox is obvious when the album is listened in its entirety, the first sound you hear is Michael screaming, the last is him laughing - and it's beautiful to hear.

So there you have it, another monster of an album at 15 tracks. Success wise, it can only be called a failure when compared to Thriller, but at 15 million copies and making it as the best selling double album ever, most artists would kill for such a disappointment!

HIStory won't be remembered as Michael's best work by most, maybe as it's the first to have what could be called filler tracks, but it also has a lot of his best output. Personally, I believe that Michael came into his own as a songwriter in the 1990's, and HIStory backs this up.

People may complain that Michael doesn't do enough interviews, but if you listen to HIStory, really listen, all the answers are in there. For the first time in a long time Michael had something to say, critics to answer back to, press to bash and accusations to respond to. He did all that with dignity, pride and eloquence while still remembering to do what he does best - make immense timeless music for us all to lose ourselves in.

superb review.for me the album is one of his greatest musical achievements.his swan song,his most personal & his finest.

i think a few of us were pondering 'come together' & why it was included.my thought was that mj was not only a lennon fan but found parallels between their lives.mj emphasized with lennons treatment in america after the anti-climax of his career after the beatles. lennon had the same fame as jackson (in the beatles) & was a hugely misunderstood human being & was portrayed by the media as a crackpot for his 'war is over' campaign.his vision for the world was peace on earth just like jackson.& his murder in cold blood was beyond comprehension for his fans.i know i found it hard to comprehend what was happening to michael in 93.

i realize that ive looked for these parallels,& as a lennon/beatles fan myself it would be easy for me to jump to this type of conclusion but i love mellow dramatics in music.

also pomp (gary) was saying the song 'come together' just means we all should or need to come together (right now! over me!) that is the songs only real message as the versus are word play & mean nothing & are only there to take you to the chorus.not garys exact words,but something to that extent.

the same applies to 'smile'.the parallels between jackson & chaplin's lives is actually scary .they both had hard childhoods,both became pioneers in there fields,both became the biggest icons on planet earth in their life times & both turned their back on america & lived in exile for years.if anyone else has read chaplins memoirs 'my autobiography' they know to the extent of the lifestyle parallels.(can you imagine what jackson & chaplin would have created had they had the opportunity to work together)but it would have had to be an adult jackson & a younger chaplin.they both existed in the same lifetime,but jackson a child & chaplin an old man.two genius's so close yet so far in a coming together.

this is quite simply,not only the best HIStory review ive ever read,but one of the best album reviews i ever read period.well done.

ladies & gentlemen,tony r :lol:

Last edited:
^^ Love that! Thanks mate. I've had a Thriller review rolling around my head for a couple of days so may have to start putting pen to paper for that. But so many people have written about Thriller, there doesn't really seem a point.

I like the Chaplin comparison you made. I may have to get a book on him.

pm me your address & ill post you the chaplin book in the next few days.its very deep & sad.he had an awful childhood & parts of it are painful to read.the book was written by chaplin himself which took him years as he was illiterate.it drags in parts but over all its a great look inside his mind.he was a tortured soul like jackson.

the movie is also quite good with (that superb actor who's also in elton johns 'i want love' video) this movie was actually the start of his drug problems as he became more & more obsessed with playing chaplin.his name has escaped me now.

Last edited:
Excellent review, I agree with everything in there.

I've spoken about Michael's diversity before but quite how an album can have songs as dissimilar as They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song and Little Susie on it make me shake my head in wonder.

The paradox is obvious when the album is listened in its entirety, the first sound you hear is Michael screaming, the last is him laughing - and it's beautiful to hear.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

PS: Where is your review about Bad? :unsure: I'd love to read it as well.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

PS: Where is your review about Bad? :unsure: I'd love to read it as well.

Thanks for all you've said on these reviews!

I haven't done a Bad one yet. I suppose that's my next job!

I've read a lot of reviews for Michael's albums, but I have to say that yours was the best I have ever read. Great job!

Wow, that's some compliment. All other reviews are on the link in my signature. Thanks!

HIStory review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as some have asked, I've posted my review of HIStory, again from recollection alone. I hope you enjoy - please post your reviews of my review!

Michael Jackson - HIStory Review

Every time the world had awaited a Michael Jackson album before it was for one reason and one reason only. The music. Now, everything had changed. On the back end of the ground and record breaking Dangerous Tour in 1993, accusations had come to light. I could embellish and write a full book on these as many have, but this is a music review. Suffice it to say, these were denied, but the matter was settled out of court and Michael Jackson's career would never be the same.

So, what was Michael to do? Go into hiding and retire from the music scene? Continue to make perfect pop, rock and soul but ignore everything that had gone on? Or channel everything that had happened into one creative musical output.

Of course the man chose the latter. The result became HIStory: Past, Present and Future Book 1.. The idea of a Greatest Hits had been floating around for some time, including a possible 'Decade' album in 1990. Now the time was opportune to remind everybody why Michael was the most successful entertainer on the century.

So, HIStory was in 2 discs: HIStory begins. 15 of some of the best tracks of all time (although not my ideal choices, no Who Is It, Will You Be There, PYT) and HIStory continues, 15 brand new tracks. This reviews the latter disc.

Well, if anybody thought that Michael was going to be a shrinking violet about the allegations and not talk about them. HIStory the album blows that out the water. No track more so than the first track and lead single.

Scream was a duet with sister Janet, who had always shied away from duetting with her brother while she defined herself as a major solo artist. Now the time was right for a show of solidarity. Scream tears you apart from the first listen and leaves you stunned. The track is an out-pouring of anger, resentment, frustration and even hate. Yes, they really do say 'Stop f***king with me'. For about 10 seconds in the track you get to take a breather when Janet speaks for us all to say "Oh my God, can't believe what I saw as I turned on the TV this evening, I was disgusted by all the injustice" before the track tears up again. Accompanied by a visually beautiful & stunning video by the superb Mark Romanek, Scream set the HIStory ball rolling but somehow eluded the top spot in both the UK & US. By the way, if there's any ever doubt about the lack of taste of the great British public, remember it was Robson & Jerome who took the number one spot!

As on Dangerous, HIStory is full of tracks that 'only Michael could make'. 'They Don't Care About Us' is one of them. After the spoken intro, the track demands the attention of the listener with its staccato drum beat that provides the hook through the entire song. Again, the song is about injustice, but this time not just for Michael but for all minorities and anyone who has suffered at the hands of bullies. Jackson spits out the lyrics furiously to the beat. Yet another track to cause controversy, Michael was forced to re-issue the album after accusations of anti-semitism. Writing & producing the song by himself, (should we forget how much of a genius he is). 'They Don't Care…' is possibly the best song on the album, it was a Top 5 hit in the UK as the 4th single.

After the anguish and pain of the first two tracks comes cleansing rain. This leads into possibly Michael's best ballad ever, 'Stranger in Moscow'. From a man who's record includes She's Out Of My Life and Heal The World, that's saying something. Lyrically, Michael's still talking about the last 2 years here but more on a personal level. Such honesty has never been spoken about before 'Feel abandoned in my fame' he sings with such beauty you could cry – as many have. Not too oblivious to how his career has been damaged he goes on to say 'Swift & sudden fall from grace'. Again, the writing of the song is beautifully created as he uses the freedom crushing iron curtain of the Eastern Bloc as a metaphor for his treatment.

Track 4 is 'This Time Around' and yes, we're still writing from experience here. The track could have been called 'No More Mr Nice Guy' as Michael tells you he ain't taking no sh*t anymore. Not the best of Michael's tracks by any means, and it's maybe the first time in 4 albums where you think, actually this could be a B side.

It doesn't matter though because then, here it comes. A track so beautiful and meaningful that I am literally welling up writing this now. 'Earth Song' has to go on my 'only Michael could make this' list because it is the audible work of genius. If Michael Jackson had only made this track in his recording career he would still have been remembered. It's the first track on HIStory to be dealing with a subject other than the allegations, the one closest to Michael's heart – nature, suffering, healing. The 'ooh, aah' chorus mystifies the listener at first, but then it all comes together as the song climaxes and crescendos into a hurricane of gospel and brass. With a video to match the passion of the song, 'Earth Song' became Michael's biggest selling single ever in the UK as it secured the much coveted Christmas Number One spot during a six week reign in 1995

But back to business, there was one man who made the allegations against Michael personal – now it's payback time. 'D.S.' is about one man (should I say who for fear of slander? I don't need to) and Michael gives it to him both barrels, quite literally if the final note of the song is the gunshot many believe it to be. D.S. is the album's obligatory rock track, and for me it disappoints – but only in comparison to it's preceding brothers - as it's no Give In To Me. It is still a good song with some great guitar work. Again, the personal & honest nature of the lyric stuns, "They wanna get my ass, dead or alive" – he's under no illusions that some people hate him.

So what were the allegations all about? – in one word on track 7, Michael answers them – 'Money'. You'd do anything for it. Of course they would, that's why they accepted the settlement. Sorry, off at a tangent again. Similar in style and lyrics to Backstabbers by the O'Jays, Money lambastes the whole system of greed and the 'sue me' culture that has taken over the world.

Track 8 is a mystery to the fanbase. The boomerang of Michael Jackson's catalogue. 'Come Together' first appeared in the 1988 film Moonwalker, surfaced again as a B-side to Remember The Time and Hello! Here it is again as a shortened version. There's no doubt that Jackson's version of the Beatles classic is amazing and surpasses the original but why is it here? To balance up the 2 discs into 15 tracks? Possibly, but it's a good chance for those who hadn't got the track to hear it.

Another Michael classic follows, the R Kelly penned 'You Are Not Alone' having the unique distinction of being the first ever song to debut at #1 in the US. The second single from HIStory, it couldn't have been any different that it's predecessor. A heartfelt, old fashioned love song that, like a lot of Jackson tracks, comes into it's own in the last 2 minutes where Michael's vocals soar alongside the lush instrumental.

The balladeering continues on 'Childhood'. Michael had been revealing snippets about his painful childhood on the Oprah Winfrey interview and the subsequent Grammys where he won the prestige Legend award. He channels that into his songwriting on this sweet, autobiographical number where he laments on his lost youth. If Michael Jackson has an epitaph, it should be 'Before you judge me, try hard to love me'. The song was a double A side with Scream and became the theme to 'Free Willy 2'.

Following 'Leave Me Alone' on Bad, comes another attack on the press, this time with more reason to. 'Tabloid Junkie' starts with a concoction of different false news reports Jackson has endured before the tune blasts out. If the verses are hard to make out, then the chorus leaves you in no doubt as to the song's message. We, the public, are also pleaded with to do our part, "You don't have to read it … To buy it is to feed it". It's a funky, danceable number and the auditory sensitive ones can make out Michael's beatboxing skills in the songs arrangement.

Next is a lost classic, '2 Bad' is a breathtaking hip-hop/dance hybrid that should have been a single. The song was to re-appear on the excellent Ghosts short film later on with an equally exceptional dance routine. With a cameo rap by Shaquille O'Neal, the song is another swipe at haters and an ode to his inner strength. 'I'm right back where I wanna be – I'm standing though you're kicking me!' The production on here is perfect with beats that unconsciously make you move. An extremely contempory song, that could easily hit the top spot 12 years later if released.

Title track 'HIStory' is next, and for those that only heard the remix that was issued as a single, I implore you to visit the original. Not just a song but a trip through history as samples of the groundbreaking geniuses of our time are played through a two minute introduction (one of which of course is a young Michael!). The song itself is homage to self-belief, to not let anyone tell you you're not good enough. Boyz II Men join Michael for the chorus as the song builds up. Subsequent analysis of the lyrics may give you the idea that Michael is talking to himself in the song, "Don't let no-one drag you down" and "Keep flying 'til you are the king of the hill".

Next comes a stunner, the sounds of a young girl opening a music box and singing along to the tune fill two minutes before the powerful chords of 'Sunrise Sunset' come in. You have been introduced to 'Little Susie'. Take a trip down her life as you hear a song different to anything Michael has done before. It is an ode to a girl killed by neglect. Hauntingly beautiful, lyrically & vocally, the song stands out as a masterclass in songwriting. I've spoken about Michael's diversity before but quite how an album can have songs as dissimilar as They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song and Little Susie on it make me shake my head in wonder.

For an adult solo career that was now pushing 25 years, Michael Jackson had not previously released a cover version, but HIStory had two, the aforementioned and well known Come Together and this less recognised 'Smile' originally by one of Michael's heroes Charlie Chaplin. Michael's version is inspirational, magnificent and awe-inspiring. Vocally, he's never sounded as good and the arrangement is perfect. The song is bittersweet when it's listened to in the context of the album. An inspired choice of album closer as the listener was starting to think that Michael was full of rage and hatred for his treatment, he then tells you that 'life is still worthwhile'. The paradox is obvious when the album is listened in its entirety, the first sound you hear is Michael screaming, the last is him laughing - and it's beautiful to hear.

So there you have it, another monster of an album at 15 tracks. Success wise, it can only be called a failure when compared to Thriller, but at 15 million copies and making it as the best selling double album ever, most artists would kill for such a disappointment!

HIStory won't be remembered as Michael's best work by most, maybe as it's the first to have what could be called filler tracks, but it also has a lot of his best output. Personally, I believe that Michael came into his own as a songwriter in the 1990's, and HIStory backs this up.

People may complain that Michael doesn't do enough interviews, but if you listen to HIStory, really listen, all the answers are in there. For the first time in a long time Michael had something to say, critics to answer back to, press to bash and accusations to respond to. He did all that with dignity, pride and eloquence while still remembering to do what he does best - make immense timeless music for us all to lose ourselves in.

Very impressive...

With the indepth conversation (s) that unexpectly transpired;

How could Michael Jackson achieve maximum exposer, teach the world the truth, and legally share the hows & whys of the 1993 Allegations...? The answer was a simple one, Michael speaks to the world through music. Hence forth...the decision to create music that tells his side of the story was born...

HIStory Past, Present, Future Book I
Michael Jackson

"TRUTH OF JUSTICE" Nothing Is Black or White
My Pictures at myspace.com/sdeidjs

Last edited:
These reviews are very good however I wouldn't call them reviews. Because of course they are very bias in favor of Michael. More like a homage to his albums.

Back