Marilyn Manson

Bob George

Proud Member
Marilyn Manson (new album title revealed! post #36)

Anyone like him? I think he's a lyrical genius. The band line up has changed so much that I don't consider Marilyn Manson a band anymore. Just a solo artist with some backing musicians. His latest album was made by just himself and Tim Skold. So the band Marilyn Manson is pretty much dead. I think his next album will just be solo, but will still keep the Marilyn Manson name.

I've been listening to the Holy Wood album today. That's what prompted this thread idea. There are some really thought-provoking lyrics on this album. And it's not just lyrically great either. The music is really great too. Great chords progressions. Great instrumentation. Catchy melodies. Catchy riffs I'm loving it. My favourite song on the album is probably "Lamb of God". It's so brilliant. But my favourite lyric comes from "The Fight Song": I'm not a slave to a God that doesn't exist. I love that lyric so much because it's like a summary of my beliefs. Notice it doesn't say, "I'm not a slave to God" it says "I'm not a slave to a God that doesn't exist". That God being the one that people create, market and use to manipulate others. I'm not a slave to that God. I have my own idea of God and it's not the one society has marketed and commercialized. This lyric sums up my beliefs perfectly.

Last edited:
I dont like his music or lyrics or the way he decided to rip up the bible onstage. To me thats not talent.

New album? They reunited too? Sweet.

I dont like his music or lyrics or the way he decided to rip up the bible onstage. To me thats not talent.

He did that? Well thats a bit far...

Alot of the things he does he does for shock value only I think.

Hm...

That was just theatrics. He's a theatrical performer and that added to his performance. It wasn't even the Bible anyway. It was just a book that he pretended was a Bible. But he got in trouble for it anyway. So he agreed to stop tearing pages from the Bible and instead starting reading from it at concerts. I believe he stated the reading as "wonderful 'Christian' stories of disease, murder, adultery, suicide, and child sacrifice. Now that seems like 'entertainment' to me." lol. He's a funny guy. Really smart too. But a lot of what he does is for shock value because IHO shock = entertainment.

Last edited:
I like Marilyn Manson, but I'm not as huge of a fan as I once was. He has released some brilliant material, though.

I am so pumped to hear the new album. I just can't believe Twiggy is back. That's the best news ever. I'd like to post the lyrics to a song that Twiggy and Manson have described as their best work together, or at least their favourite.

The drugs they say
Make us feel so hollow
We love in vain
Narcissistic and so shallow

The cops and queers
To swim you have to swallow
Hate today
No love for tomorrow

We're all stars now in the dope show

There's lots of pretty, pretty ones
Who want to get you high
But all the pretty, pretty ones
Will leave you low and blow your mind

They love you when you're on all the covers
When you're not then they love another

The drugs they say
Are made in California
We love your face
We'd really like to sell you

The cops and queers
Make good-looking models
I hate today
Who will I wake up with tomorrow?

Who want to get you high

Who want to get you high

They'll blow your mind

They've started their north American tour with recently reunited bassist Twiggy Ramirez and judging by the reviews, Marilyn Manson are back to there old selves. Which is a good thing. A very good thing. Manson really, really neeeded Twiggy back. Here's a review of the Miami concert...

Concert Review: Marilyn Manson at the Fillmore Miami Beach

Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 08:55:00 AM
Marilyn Manson
January 20, 2008
The Fillmore Miami Beach

Better Than: You can imagine.

Only a dingbat or a dolt doesn’t dig Marilyn Manson. Really. I mean, unless you’ve absolutely no sense of humor, let alone sense of the absurd, or you believe rock shouldn’t come from a loud place, Manson’s your man (and band).

But before Sunday's show, a medicine man told Manson he really was too sick to take the stage. But when Marilyn looked outside his hotel window and saw the small slew of protesters, he decided to damn the advice and go on anyway, lest the catatonic sign-holders claim their efforts – or their God – had something to do with a cancellation.

So, Bible-belting dingbats, I thank you for ensuring that the show went on.

And it was some show. Beginning and ending with soundtrack slices from The Hunger, Manson (both man and band) brought rock back to a place where it belonged all along – to the place of spectacle.

Manson (the man) is a consummate showman – stagy, theatrical, and full of himself, in the best of all possible ways. Sure, he still cribs from the Bowie/Murphy school of posing, prancing, and preening, but that’s only because both David and Peter were – and are – true rock apostles.

So too Manson, who wouldn’t invoke ire if he wasn’t. Yes, he bared his ass; yes, he fondled, then decapitated, a rather fetching mannequin; and yes, he burned a Bible while perched atop a podium straight outta Albert Speer. But what dingbats and dolts fail to realize is that Manson does these things not simply because they may or may not be shocking or controversial (though there is that), but to free us of what we’ve been told to think and believe.

Whether strutting to the narco-stomp of “The Dope Show” or covering high priestess Patti Smith’s “Rock ‘n’ Roll Nigger,” Manson delivered us from evil. And at the Fillmore Miami Beach, that was worth all the good in the world. -- John Hood

Personal Bias: I’ve dug the cat since the days when I used to see him slinking around South Beach with his Spooky Kids.

Random Detail: I think I saw recently reunited bassist Twiggy Ramirez smile, but then, even twelve hours after the show, I was still seeing things.

By the Way: Manson is still with Evan Rachel Wood – and you’re not.

Last edited:
I have Lest We Forget and to be honest I prefer the covers to his own songs. But I do like his music.

Last edited:
I had least we forget on CD ages ago i think i've lost it but Marilyn Manson is ok i like a couple of songs The Beautiful People, Personal Jesus e.t.c

I have very strong opinions against Manson.. He's done a lot more than ripp up a bible.. That's just where it starts..

I'll stay outta the thread for now though.. cuz whenever you say negitive things about someone when there fans see.. You'll get attacked..

WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they come to Australia. I would love to see Manson and Twiggy together. A Manson show is what I call real entertainment. Decapitation, sexual imagery and acts, nudity, drug references, Bible burning. Now that's a show. But I don't want to see them until after they make a new album. I've seen their greatest hits live and that seems to be basically what this current tour is. A greatest hits tour. I want to see them when they've got new music out. I also think any band is always more bonded after they've just made great music together. So I think they'll really be bonded well and really tight-nit after they make a new album.

Last edited:
This is an awesome video I found on YouTube. I'm not sure of the year but it was around 10 years ago, some religious protesters stood outside Marilyn Manson's Colorado concert protesting against his defamation and desecration of the Bible. So in response to these protestors, Manson promised he would do a reading from the Bible. Check it out, it's pretty funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zUIokpCMgus

I've really been digging Marilyn Manson lately. My favorite albums are the first four (Portrait of An American Family, Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Hollywood.) I also really like The Golden Age Of Grotesque and Eat Me Drink Me, but not as much; I think he sort of lost his creativity during those albums.

I can't wait until his next album. I hope he puts out another great one. :)

Last edited:
Portrait of An American Family, Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, and Hollywood.
These are my favourites too. Especially the Triptych. Greatest trilogy of albums ever. I didn't like Golden Age, but Eat Me was pretty good. From the way Manson and Twiggy are talking about the new album, calling it violent, noisy, destructive etc. I'm hoping it will be something close to Antichrist Superstar.

My favorite is Mechanical Animals, favorite song is Speed of Pain.

P.S. He is amazing live.!!!!!!

And also Manson like MJ is an amazing business man. Although his business skills are different. MJ bought a catalog of the Beatles, while MM is a business man with being a "shock" rocker.

I like Marilyn Manson, but I'm not as huge of a fan as I once was. He has released some brilliant material, though.

Same here, kinda.
I used to be a massive fan but since Twiggy left it just didn't feel the same, hope things jump start now they've reunited.
Love his earlier stuff, I have Portrait of an American Family, Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animasl and Last Tour on Earth.
The man is brilliant, lyrically he's truly amazing and also an incredibly intelligent and articulate man...to bad some people can't see pass the crazy antics he does, which are clearly done to create controversy around him, all the negative press has really worked on his best interest and he's been smart in the way he's used the media on his favour; people need to realize it's basically an act and not take it too seriously, I don't and I'm a fan.

Same here, kinda.
I used to be a massive fan but since Twiggy left it just didn't feel the same, hope things jump start now they've reunited.
Love his earlier stuff, I have Portrait of an American Family, Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animasl and Last Tour on Earth.
The man is brilliant, lyrically he's truly amazing and also an incredibly intelligent and articulate man...to bad some people can't see pass the crazy antics he does, which are clearly done to create controversy around him, all the negative press has really worked on his best interest and he's been smart in the way he's used the media on his favour; people need to realize it's basically an act and not take it too seriously, I don't and I'm a fan.

Everything up to Golden Age Of Grotesque is great, but Eat Me Drink Me is pretty weak. It's still a good album, but it's not up there with the rest of them.

It sounds like, from MM's description, that the new album is going to be a return to like it used to be. :)

Have you heard the demos that Marilyn Manson recorded from 1989-1994 (before Portrait Of An American Family came out?) It's mostly early demos of songs that ended up on the first album, but there are some songs that never were released anywhere else, and are very good.

Only a dingbat or a dolt doesn’t dig Marilyn Manson. Really. I mean, unless you’ve absolutely no sense of humor, let alone sense of the absurd, or you believe rock shouldn’t come from a loud place, Manson’s your man (and band).
awww, guess I'm a dingbat....:(

So, Bible-belting dingbats, I thank you for ensuring that the show went on.
:scratch:??????

Well, I'm sure you guys enjoy his music and antics, so what can I say?

Just because you don't like his music doesn't make you a dingbat. I don't like Madonna's music, but plenty of people here do. Everyone has different tastes.

Now, if you said you don't like his music because it's "evil", and you've never heard a Marilyn Manson song or album, that makes you a dingbat.

Just because you don't like his music doesn't make you a dingbat. I don't like Madonna's music, but plenty of people here do. Everyone has different tastes.

Now, if you said you don't like his music because it's "evil", and you've never heard a Marilyn Manson song or album, that makes you a dingbat.

I know that not liking his music doesn't make me a dingbat, lol. And, if I were to say that I don't like his music because it's "evil"/evil, that wouldn't make me a dingbat either,lol. Although I dont think I would use the word "evil".
Wait, what if I did listen to his album and still thought it was "evil"??:scratch:

Actually, I was being sarcastic, lol. And I think you were too, but I could be mistaken

I know that not liking his music doesn't make me a dingbat, lol. And, if I were to say that I don't like his music because it's "evil"/evil, that wouldn't make me a dingbat either,lol. Although I dont think I would use the word "evil".
Wait, what if I did listen to his album and still thought it was "evil"??:scratch:

Actually, I was being sarcastic, lol. And I think you were too, but I could be mistaken

LOL actually I was being serious. There are some people out there who say Marilyn Manson is evil, and that if you listen to his music, you're a Devil Worshipper. They don't bother to actually listen to the lyrics, or find out what Manson is really like. They just read articles or hear things from their friends, go 'omg he's so sick,' and close their mind to possibly discovering great music.

Last edited:
Everything up to Golden Age Of Grotesque is great, but Eat Me Drink Me is pretty weak. It's still a good album, but it's not up there with the rest of them.

It sounds like, from MM's description, that the new album is going to be a return to like it used to be. :)

Have you heard the demos that Marilyn Manson recorded from 1989-1994 (before Portrait Of An American Family came out?) It's mostly early demos of songs that ended up on the first album, but there are some songs that never were released anywhere else, and are very good.

Nope, but now you've made me curious about them. I'll look em up.

I've also heard his comments on making his new album more like AS, hope he does, that's truly his finest work IMO... nothing beats 'Man that you Fear'.

LOL actually I was being serious. There are some people out there who say Marilyn Manson is evil, and that if you listen to his music, you're a Devil Worshipper. They don't bother to actually listen to the lyrics, or find out what Manson is really like. They just read articles or hear things from their friends, go 'omg he's so sick,' and close their mind to possibly discovering great music.
oh.........

Nope, but now you've made me curious about them. I'll look em up.

I've also heard his comments on making his new album more like AS, hope he does, that's truly his finest work IMO... nothing beats 'Man that you Fear'.

I pm'ed you the link. :)

Last edited:
They're really good. I can pm you a link if you're interested.

That would be awesome, Thanks.

Ahh, of course you wouldn't be a dingbat just because you don't like his music, is not everyone's cup of tea. And you wouldn't either if you think he's 'evil' (yeah, let's use that word lol), what I think we mean is that some people act like he's the antichrist or something which is just ridiculous.

Ahh, of course you wouldn't be a dingbat just because you don't like his music, is not everyone's cup of tea. And you wouldn't either if you think he's 'evil' (yeah, let's use that word lol), what I think we mean is that some people act like he's the antichrist or something which is just ridiculous.
He's not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. I had a pretty negative view of him in high school, but after I started listening to his music, I realized that he wasn't what people were portraying him as. He's an entertainer, and a lot of what he does in his videos and concerts is for shock value.

Last edited:
Back