22nd Jan, 2008: Michael Jackson News and Mentionings [wyclef jean awaiting payment?]

L.J

Proud Member
G'day Folks :shades:

In today's News:

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]WYCLEF STILL AWAITING PAYMENT FOR MICHAEL JACKSON COLLABORATION [/FONT]

WYCLEF JEAN is still waiting for a call from MICHAEL JACKSON - because the THRILLER hitmaker has yet to pay him for work completed almost 10 years ago.
The rapper/producer teamed up with Jackson to record some tracks in the late 1990s, but Jean claims he was never rewarded for his efforts.
And he insists Jackson is well-aware of his outstanding debt.
He says, "Michael owes me money. After Mike did Blood On The Dance Floor I went into the studio with him.
"We did a couple of sessions. When I'm in the studio I'm very specific. I'm very tough in the studio. It was a long time ago now, but I still haven't been paid. Mike knows the money he owes me. I just wish he'd get in touch." Jackson is believed to be in more than $300 million (£150 million) in debt, an amount which was racked up following his 2005 court case which saw him cleared of child abuse charges.

SOURCE: http://www.pr-inside.com/wyclef-still-awaiting-payment-for-michael-r397710.htm

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

Radio station plays "Beat it" for 24 hours straight

It's not every day someone calls 911 because Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was playing on the radio.

But when Z89 put the song on repeat for 24 hours starting midnight Monday, "people just started freaking out," said sophomore Lauren Levine, who has worked at the student-run station since her freshman year.

The Syracuse University station received as many as 75 instant messages, e-mails and phone calls from listeners asking what was going on.

Levine, a broadcast journalism major, described Z89 as a very generic Top 40 station. But it is currently switching from "No.1 for Today's Hit Music" to "The Beat of Syracuse."

The radio station chose Michael Jackson's 1983 single "Beat It" to introduce the new theme of the radio station to the public.

"It will have a more rhythmic feel. We did a little programming stunt, just to get people talking about the change," Levine said.

Alex Shomar, a junior bioengineering student at Binghamton University, heard the song multiple times on the radio, then text-messaged Levine, whom he knew was working at the station.

"I said, you know it's just playing 'Beat It' on repeat, you might want to get on that because something might be broken," Shomar said.

Maureen Gallivan, a Spanish teacher at Corcoran High School in Syracuse, also heard the song on repeat and thought it was some sort of flashback day or fundraiser.

"What I thought it might be originally is where maybe a DJ locks himself in the studio until he raises a certain amount of money," Gallivan said. "I knew there had to be some catch. I thought it was pretty cool."

However, not everybody took the stunt lightly, as an unidentified listener ended up calling 911.

"They thought someone had broken into the station, taken over the airways and was messing with us," said Levine.

The emergency operator forwarded the call to the Department of Public Safety, which sent Officer Carol Lodman over to check on the situation around 1:45 p.m.

No report was filed, and Lodman was unavailable for comment.

To continue Z89's transition to "The Beat of Syracuse," the station will be playing a human heartbeat nonstop starting midnight Tuesday until 8:01 p.m. when the rhythm will flat line and then start playing music again.

Levine said Z89 was contacted by listeners of all ages and backgrounds, which she believes exhibits the popularity of radio.

"I think this shows that radio is still really important, if we have this many people calling in," she said.

http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/01/22/News/News-A3-3160337.shtml

Being discussed here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44890

Wanted: look-alike for British prime minister

Gregory Katz
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LONDON–Nobody, it seems, looks like Gordon Brown.
That's a big problem for Alison Jackson, whose so far futile nationwide search for a look-alike for Britain's prime minister brought her yesterday to the streets of London.
The artist desperately needs a Brown stand-in for her cutting-edge photos and films in which she pokes fun at celebrities in compromising positions. Without a credible person to portray Brown, Jackson's plan to make a film about the prime minister's work will be stymied, an assistant said.
In the past, Jackson has had no trouble finding convincing people who look like David Beckham, the Queen, Madonna, Michael Jackson or Britney Spears. These have yielded photo books, videos and television shows poking fun at the famous. A video of a Beckham look-alike talking on a cellphone while using the toilet is just one example.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/296077

Michael Jackson HIStory:

2004 - Michael Jackson's customized 2001 Bentley sedan was removed from a car auction. Jackson's management team notified auction officials that Jackson wanted the sale postponed. The Bentley Arnage Red Label Turbo was featured in Jackson's video for the song "What More Can I Give." The interior roof was signed by a host of celebrities including Jackson.

MJJC Tip of the Day:

Check out our new Smilies!!!!

There's a smilie for every occasion!! :kite:

Check the link : http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/misc.php?do=showsmilies

:jester:

Last edited:
The wye story is not news. It was already reported and discussed on this forum. Just because another website decides to pick it up in order to meddle in MJ's finances doesn'tmake it news. Will it be reported everytime another hateful website chooses to make it an MJ negative story. If MJ owed Wye money he can go to the courts for it. He has used MJ to get his name in the papers, and we shouldn't assist him with this, imo

The wye story is not news. It was already reported and discussed on this forum. Just because another website decides to pick it up in order to meddle in MJ's finances doesn'tmake it news. Will it be reported everytime another hateful website chooses to make it an MJ negative story. If MJ owed Wye money he can go to the courts for it. He has used MJ to get his name in the papers, and we shouldn't assist him with this, imo

Absolutely agree that we ignore this, if what he says is true, this character needs to talk to Michael not the media, that's what tells you he is simply using Michael's name to get himself some column inches, without mentioning Michael he gets no media attention.

I agree with everything that has been said. :D :flowers:

Thanks for the news, LJ. :flowers:

Thank you for the news.

Unless it is from an overtly tabloid source, it can be posted here. A gentle reminder that one always has the option to ignore/not react and just move on. . . . .?

carry on,

Victoria83

Thank you for the news.

Unless it is from an overtly tabloid source, it can be posted here. A gentle reminder that one always has the option to ignore/not react and just move on. . . . .?

carry on,

Victoria83
Nobody was saying that it cannot be posted. One wouldn't dare to. but what some of us are asking is whether the story that has been discussed and mulled over on the forum is still news even because some website is late on jumping on the 'bash MJ because of his finances which they know nothing about bandwagon'. The article brought nothing new to the table. We all knew what Wye said and we all new about MJ's finances. The only thing that is new is that another website decides to report it. This wasn't an attack on the newsperson, it was just asking a genuine question.

Wyclef didnt have to go to the media to discuss financial problems. Thats unprofessional if you ask me which you didnt but too late! :)

the wyclef story is is literaly about 8 years old. Thats when he first said it.

why they re-cyclin' that wyclef ish ??

i know that ish is old but the way it was re-written it appears a current beef. **looks at source**

Was WyClef interviewed recently about this topic? Who released this press release? It appears to be a negative Smear, with no bearing on anything relative to today. The article seems simply re-written, with comments placed in current tense. Which serve to make the article appear valid to this day. However, anyone that follows the news and happenings of Michael Jackson, will know the truth and HIStory of this story.

Last edited:
Nobody was saying that it cannot be posted. One wouldn't dare to. but what some of us are asking is whether the story that has been discussed and mulled over on the forum is still news even because some website is late on jumping on the 'bash MJ because of his finances which they know nothing about bandwagon'. The article brought nothing new to the table. We all knew what Wye said and we all new about MJ's finances. The only thing that is new is that another website decides to report it. This wasn't an attack on the newsperson, it was just asking a genuine question.

Amen to that and aint it the truth!! :) its always rehashed and much ado about nothin! as usual -_-

Isn't wyclef a bit to late with this? I mean it's 10 years ago.. he should've asked MJ way earlier to pay him and not go "ohh he didn't pay me 10 years ago..." Ohh well..

Wyclef, your money's probably been returned by the amount of times you've been on TV shows, interviews, papers asking MJ for $$$. It's almost like your part-time job, go home, you silly queen!

Last edited:
Most of you are reacting without knowing what you're talking about. Wyclef did NOT go to the press about this. He was recently interviewed on a Swedish music television show about whether he was envious of Akon and Kanye that they were working with MJ. He said that he wasn't because he had worked with MJ before. He added that MJ owed him money and asked him to give him a holla but wouldn't discuss the matter any further despite repeated attempts from the host.

Firstly, Wyclef Jean has absolutely no frickin' reason to lie about this. He's ultra rich, famous and successful and hardly needs to use MJ's name to get in the papers. Just watch MTV for an hour and you'll see why. The 'he needs publicity' angle seems to be the patent response from fans whenever anybody mentions MJ in a non-flattering way. I feel that we need to realize that there are a lot of people out there who have enough money and fame without name dropping MJ.

Secondly, what do you want him to do? MJ apparently won't return his calls. Do you honestly think it's better to sue? As if MJ fans wouldn't be all upset and call him greedy if he did. According to you, I guess he should just sit back and accept that he didn't get paid? Would you? I know I wouldn't.

Loving Michael is one thing, we all do, but being completely biased is another.

Last edited:
Most of you are reacting without knowing what you're talking about. Wyclef did NOT go to the press about this. He was recently interviewed on a Swedish music television show about whether he was envious of Akon and Kanye that they were working with MJ. He said that he wasn't because he had worked with MJ before. He added that MJ owed him money and asked him to give him a holla but wouldn't discuss the matter any further despite repeated attempts from the host.

Firstly, Wyclef Jean has absolutely no frickin' reason to lie about this. He's ultra rich, famous and successful and hardly needs to use MJ's name to get in the papers. Just watch MTV for an hour and you'll see why. The 'he needs publicity' angle seems to be the patent response from fans whenever anybody mentions MJ in a non-flattering way. I feel that we need to realize that there are a lot of people out there who have enough money and fame without name dropping MJ.

Secondly, what do you want him to do? MJ apparently won't return his calls. Do you honestly think it's better to sue? As if MJ fans wouldn't be all upset and call him greedy if he did. According to you, I guess he should just sit back and accept that he didn't get paid? Would you? I know I wouldn't.

Loving Michael is one thing, we all do, but being completely biased is another.
Your argument is completely biased against MJ because you have assumed that Wye is telling the truth. IF MJ doesn't pay the people who work for him but his record company does, and MJ was with Sony at the time. then how is it MJ's fault that Wye hasn't been paid? If Wye's claim is correct, is he not a business man, Why has he not sue for his money in 10 years? Or better still send MJ a bill. Why are you so quick to JUDGE when it comes to MJ's financial issues. You seem to think that every claim made against MJ is correct. I hope MJ never ends up in yopur court. He would stand no chance at all.

Last edited:
IU don't know what the deal is with working in the studoo these days, but it used to be that if your work is not used you get no money. MJ did a lot of recordings with Motown that is still held in a vault and no money was paid to MJ or his brothers because the work was not released. I think it has to do with number of records sold etc. So if MJ did not use Wye work then there would be no records for him to get paid from. Wye said that MJ did not use his work, so all this money talk is most probably wishful thinking. His work was simply not good enough, that is all.

bias goes both ways ;)

a little less on both sides of the issue would be helpful...michael is not a perfect being. however, we cannot be expected to simply take anything and everything at face value either.

Speaking for myself, in a michael jackson community of all places, Michael Jackson is going to get the benefit of the doubt first.

**inserts a polite *SNAP* **

Last edited:
bias goes both ways ;)

a little less on both sides of the issue would be helpful...michael is not a perfect being. however, we cannot be expected to simply take anything and everything at face value either.

Speaking for myself, in a michael jackson community of all places, Michael Jackson is going to get the benefit of the doubt first.

**inserts a polite *SNAP* **
I agree chichi, but if you notice my post, I never make assuptions about claims about MJ because I do not know all the facts. But I recognise BS when I see it. The first time when I read what Wye said, I wrote that I think he was joking around and it is the media who is trying to put a spin on it to turn it into something that it is not.
I still believe Wye was joking, because, if he was not, one would have to assume that he is somewhat lacking on intelligence, cause any intelligent business man who is owed money would simply employ a lawyer or the courts to get that money. Of course, if you know you aren't owed any but believe that you should and is harbouring some resentment for work not being used, then you might want to cause something in the media, anythng about MJ and money is sure to get much attention.
Again, it is MJ's music company that would be owing the money and not MJ, so why claim that MJ owes the money and not Sony?:huh:

I guess he should just sit back and accept that he didn't get paid? Would you? I know I wouldn't.

After 10 YEARS, yes that's exactly what he should do, in my opinion. I can't take a 10 year old claim seriously - SORRY!

Would you wait 10 years, before making claims that somebody owed you money?

It is also my opinion that Wyclef has Michael Jackson mixed up with Sony. But telling the press that Sony owes you money, does not get the same attention as saying that MJ owes you money!

Last edited:
Your argument is completely biased against MJ because you have assumed that Wye is telling the truth. IF MJ doesn't pay the people who work for him but his record company does, and MJ was with Sony at the time. then how is it MJ's fault that Wye hasn't been paid? If Wye's claim is correct, is he not a business man, Why has he not sue for his money in 10 years? Or better still send MJ a bill. Why are you so quick to JUDGE when it comes to MJ's financial issues. You seem to think that every claim made against MJ is correct. I hope MJ never ends up in yopur court. He would stand no chance at all.

I am a pretty good judge because I employ logic. I repeat that there is no reason for Wyclef Jean to lie about this that I can think of. He stands to gain nothing from doing so. The same goes for Bruce Swedien and John Landis who have made the same claims. They have not sued either. Don't you think it's a litte odd that so many people who are not enemies of MJ and who have absolutely nothing to gain from making false claims are saying that he owes them money? It goes without saying that their word alone would hardly be sufficient in order to obtain an order of payment in a court of law, but going on probability, it is far more likely that their claims are valid than not.

Having said that, what I'm reacting to is not even the issue of whether or not MJ owes money or not. It's the knee jerk reactions of some fans to start throwing mud on Wyclef Jean or anybody without knowing the facts.
It's become predictable. Before I even opened this topic I knew what the responses would be, because they are always the same. Even a person like Bruce Swedien, who has known Michael for 30 years and loves him, will fall from grace and be called ignorant at best (for not understanding that 'of course it's Sony and not Michael that owes him money') or a liar at worst, as soon as he dares suggest Michael hasn't paid what he owes and won't return his calls.

I am a pretty good judge because I employ logic. I repeat that there is no reason for Wyclef Jean to lie about this that I can think of. He stands to gain nothing from doing so. The same goes for Bruce Swedien and John Landis who have made the same claims. They have not sued either. Don't you think it's a litte odd that so many people who are not enemies of MJ and who have absolutely nothing to gain from making false claims are saying that he owes them money? It goes without saying that their word alone would hardly be sufficient in order to obtain an order of payment in a court of law, but going on probability, it is far more likely that their claims are valid than not.

Having said that, what I'm reacting to is not even the issue of whether or not MJ owes money or not. It's the knee jerk reactions of some fans to start throwing mud on Wyclef Jean or anybody without knowing the facts.
It's become predictable. Before I even opened this topic I knew what the responses would be, because they are always the same. Even a person like Bruce Swedien, who has known Michael for 30 years and loves him, will fall from grace and be called ignorant at best (for not understanding that 'of course it's Sony and not Michael that owes him money') or a liar at worst, as soon as he dares suggest Michael hasn't paid what he owes and won't return his calls.
Michael jackson doesn't pay the people who work for him when he makes music. The music company does. All the people who make claims on MJ knows darn well that it isn't MJ who owes them. it is SONY. Yes, People will make claims on MJ for publicity., That is why everybody and their momma uses his name. Nobody would have been talking about Wyes interview in some foreign country had he not mentioned MJ's name. What did why talk about in that interview besides MJ? See, it was not reported.

It is still my opinion that Bruce, John and Wyclef, if they are owed any money at all, it comes from Sony and not MJ. Since when does the artist pay these folks out of their own pocket?

And the fact that John Landis has said that "Sony is using HIS money to pay back the money Michael owes them", is just wrong. How can something like that be possible?

I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, I don't care where it comes from!

ok whos wyclef in the first place ? :lol: does his mama know him ? :lol:
if he wants money he can go to a casino :p

apple just confizzled me :lol:

yall must admit, more often than not, we rush to Michael's defense. Which in my opinion, should be expected to a certain extent, when you are referring to a Michael Jackson Fan community ;) I understand where everyone is coming from.

In the end the reality is, none of us are privvy to the ins and outs of the business agreements or contracts.

Last edited:
Back