Today's music sucks!

analogue

Proud Member
Last night i was listening to the radio and every night at 1:00am they play ''Classic hour'' and within that hour they play songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I got really upset when i was listening to it, not because those songs are bad but i was upset at the fact that today's music is just a big pile of rubbish and everytime i listen to the old school classics i always think to myself ''Why can't music be like this today''?

IMO if you listen to music from 10/20 years ago and then listen to today's music you can see a huge decline in quality. Now don't get me wrong there are some great artists out now but the only problem is that if you want good music these days you really have to look for it and that shouldn't be the case, you shouldnt have to go looking for good music. Good Music should be there when you switch on TV/Radio

Yes in the past you did have silly artists but back then noone took them seriously. They had a number 1 hit and then they fizzled out and back then it was the real artists who got all the respect but now it seems to have gone full circle where the silly artists get all the respect and the real artists get slept on

Soulja Boy up in This Hoe
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Soulja Boy
Then Super Man Dat Hoe
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)

Last edited:
well..it's all about perspective...that's all ima say.

except that if most songs get played too much, u can tire of em

Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Then Super Man Dat Hoe
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)

Oh yeah, that dance puts Michael to shame rofl that dance is so gay...sorry to anyone who does it, but I wouldn't be caught dead doin' that. I'll stick to my popping, locking, tutting, and MJ impersonating.

Today's music sucks because the record companies have given up. No one is buying music anymore. It's not worth it to them to put that much effort and money into making music like they used to, because they're just going to loose money. Furthermore, every artist today, sounds the same. There needs to be someone who stands out from the pack, otherwise it just gets boring. I think now is the perfect time for someone to come out and change that. The record companies have to step up, find the best artists, the best writers and producers, and make the best music. THEN people just might go out and buy it.

Today's music is awesome. Probably not American music. But I'm loving what's been coming out of my country (Australia) in the last few years. I think 2007 was one of the best years for Australia music ever.

yeah, Music nowadays sucks sooooo bad! I dont even listen to the radio anymore! Just me and my ipod :yes: I wonder how some can call what we hear today music?? All these "crank dat souldja boy" and "pop lock and drop it" and "shoulder lean" and all this crap makes me sick. If this is what music has come to, then it's sad. We have to hear SO much vulgar language and SO many half-naked girls dancing around. I think it's an insult to former artist to call this stuff music!!!! Why is it that 'OTW' and 'thriller' ANIHALATES the music today??? The bee gees, stevie, diana, j5, jacksons, Mj, etc..... they should be dissapointed. I love 'old school' music, and I'd listen to it any day over this stuff.....granted, some artists are good today, but the rest.... UGH!

yeah, Music nowadays sucks sooooo bad! I dont even listen to the radio anymore! Just me and my ipod :yes: I wonder how some can call what we hear today music?? All these "crank dat souldja boy" and "pop lock and drop it" and "shoulder lean" and all this crap makes me sick. If this is what music has come to, then it's sad. We have to hear SO much vulgar language and SO many half-naked girls dancing around. I think it's an insult to former artist to call this stuff music!!!! Why is it that 'OTW' and 'thriller' ANIHALATES the music today??? The bee gees, stevie, diana, j5, jacksons, Mj, etc..... they should be dissapointed. I love 'old school' music, and I'd listen to it any day over this stuff.....granted, some artists are good today, but the rest.... UGH!
There has always been bad music. It's just that only the good music is remembered. So when we look back on past decades they seem better than the present because the artist we remember from those decades are the great ones. Not all of today's music is like Soldier Boy. That's just one of the many styles of music of today. It's not a good representation of modern music because that type of music probably takes up 1%-2% of the modern music market.

Last night i was listening to the radio and every night at 1:00am they play ''Classic hour'' and within that hour they play songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I got really upset when i was listening to it, not because those songs are bad but i was upset at the fact that today's music is just a big pile of rubbish and everytime i listen to the old school classics i always think to myself ''Why can't music be like this today''?

IMO if you listen to music from 10/20 years ago and then listen to today's music you can see a huge decline in quality. Now don't get me wrong there are some great artists out now but the only problem is that if you want good music these days you really have to look for it and that shouldn't be the case, you shouldnt have to go looking for good music. Good Music should be there when you switch on TV/Radio

Yes in the past you did have silly artists but back then noone took them seriously. They had a number 1 hit and then they fizzled out and back then it was the real artists who got all the respect but now it seems to have gone full circle where the silly artists get all the respect and the real artists get slept on

No sh*t, lol. I've been saying the EXACT same thing for a while now. The difference between today and 15, 20 years ago is, even though back then there were one hit wonders with no real talent, they stayed as just that, one hit wonders or artists who weren't given the top spot or taken seriously by the industry. They weren't the popular artists. Today, the artists that ARE the most popular and most "respected" are the ones that back in the day would have been seen as fluff acts and not been very successful. The artists with talent today, as you said, aren't the one's getting the airplay, getting the awards, getting the attention. It didn't used to be this way. The artists with the most talent were the ones that used to be the most played, the one's that won the awards and got the attention. But it serves the record company's to produce paper acts because as soon as they start making demands, they can be easily and readily replaced. When you have artists like Stevie Wonder or Barbra Streisand or Michael Jackson, you can't replace them and thus, they ultimately can take control of their careers and thus the money.

Last edited:
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Then Super Man Dat Hoe
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)
Now Watch Me Do
(Crank Dat Soulja Boy)

Are you kidding me? That's actually a song?

My god, thankfully I avoid the radio like the plague and stick to my cd player/ipod. :punk:

All of todays music sucks there isnt one person who i like well mayby MIKA but thats it the rest are all crap and overrated

there are a few todays artists that are actually good :mello:

mary j.blige, jay-z, beyonce, janet, britney, kanye are only a few examples.

its just that nobody's original anymore. thats what i think and also what michael said recently in the ebony interview :D

IMO the music scene hasn't been interesting since 2003. Hardly any of the music or artists out there today have longetivity. Or maybe that's just me getting old. :rolleyes: :lol:

I somewhat agree with you. There's a lot of talented rock bands around right now, but as far as R&B/Hip Hop is concerned, there isn't a lot of talent or originality. All the current R&B singers sound the same.

I somewhat agree with you. There's a lot of talented rock bands around right now, but as far as R&B/Hip Hop is concerned, there isn't a lot of talent or originality. All the current R&B singers sound the same.

on the converse i feel a lot of rock bands sound the same. and one of the most played hip hop artists who stands out from others and is getting good airplay is Common. there is sameness on both sides..and standouts on both sides. it's just a matter of being patient and listening. i can pick out dave matthews as a standout from rock bands. it's just a matter of listening. and it doesn't really take a lot of effort.

i know!!!!!!! my gawd!!!!! now its ok to lip sync too. people still say you have talent after you get caught doing it! when Milli Vanilli got caught they were over, when ashlee simpson does it shes still around.

people used to call you out if they didnt think you had talent, now everyone un-talented and talented are on equal level 'talented' people. ''oh but shes 'talented'...''oh shutup whatever.

too many recycling of other people today too. noones original. MJ even said theres noone causing any such wave now. maybe kanye.

Okay yea I agree with every bit you said. I had to find and research the good music mainly on my own. MTV started to suck. =/ I listen to the radio occasionally but nowadays.. my cds and mp3 player. Don't like it when people tell me to get updated with music when I listen to music from like the 70s or something...

I wouldn't say today's music sucks. You should listen to some other radio stations than the mainstream ones that play the same songs again and again. There has always been music that sucks, 80's and 90's had it too. They just don't play that music after 20 years, because after that time people only remember the great songs and forget (or want to forget, lol) the bad ones. Good songs become classics and classics is what they'll play after 20 years.

But I do agree that the music business hasn't been interesting for a long time. Somebody needs to come and blow our minds and invent something totally new, so that we'll have classics to play 20 years from now.

Last edited:
Today's music is awesome. Probably not American music. But I'm loving what's been coming out of my country (Australia) in the last few years. I think 2007 was one of the best years for Australia music ever.

^^ Yeah, absolutely! It was a great year for silverchair, powderfinger, Missy Higgins Eskimo Joe, and many others...

But i dont think todays music sucks at all. Sure, its different, and yes, some is better than others, but so what? 60's music sounds different to 80's music, which sounds different to 30's music which sounds different to 50's music etc etc Each decade still had its fair share of crummy songs, however good the other stuff was. So get out of the time warp and turn up Britney Spears nice and loud :lol:

I would, but Britney sounds like a complete amateur when she sings. When you consider that a recording artist is someone you pay to hear sing, Britney doesn't fulfill the job requirement. And unfortunately, that's the case with a good 80% of today's recording "artists".

Last edited:
^ lol i was kidding.

But if u only listen to what is played on commercial radio, then no, u wont discover great music, partly because they only play a small selection of the music that is actually out there. Look outside the square. There are other artists out there other than britney, soulja boy and others who every1 likes to whinge about lol. While theres nothing wrong with living in the past, dont cut off ur nose to spite ur face cos theres some great music out there if u look for it :)

Well in my opinion today's music isn't as good as it was for example in 90's. Nowadays the main point is not actually to do a good song, it's to do a song that makes money and stays on charts, hopefully you get what I mean. Artists are making and producing albums after albums, more than one in a same year to stay "up there", which I find kinda ridiculous and just proves what I just said about nowadays music. Im not saying today's music sucks completely, there are a few fantastic artists and excellent songs, but unfortunately you can count them on one hand. And I highly doubt it's possible anymore to do what Michael has done, to produce songs that would be remembered and especially played after decades.

the mainstream ones that play the same songs again and again.

Well listen for example that one main huge radiostation here (I don't want to advertise them because Im so sick and tired of them lol). They have ruined so many good songs by playing them all the time. Like when I was at work, I listened to radio 7 hours out of 8 that I was there and I found it very annoying how they kept playing the same songs hour after hour. I even counted one day how many times I heard one particular song being played.. and believe it or not, 9 times in 7 hours! But can't blame the songs people get tired of them so quickly, blame the radiostations.

The thing is, the talented artists just don't make the radio anymore. DJ's don't play the new song from Darren Hayes, or The Mars Volta. There's so many good underground artists that never make it, because they don't have the right 'image' for the radio promoters, which just makes the radio become oversaturated with the piss-poor artists, (like T Pain, who can't sing to save his life.)

It's not enough to have the talent and writing skills anymore, now you have to have flashy clothes and good looks to succeed in the entertainment industry. It's simply ridiculous, but of course sex sells. :no:

Last edited:
there alsways has been a lot of music that just sucks, but we only rewind the best songs from back in the day over and over again, so it seems as though there used to be just great music, but in fact there was a lot of garbage then, too! : - D We just have to be able to pick the gems from today out of the masses of music that are available. We just have access to much more music that we used to (because of globalization, internet; you get it)

Today's music does suck terribly which is why alot of music today samples the music from 50s-90s (when sampling started).

There will be one song every 6 months that I like if that!!

Today Music = money period. Companies dont care what it is like. They know someone will buy it. A classic example of that is all the MJ compilations SONY have released. They know it will sell and it costs SONY very little to produce.

Back