Diana Ross as Dorothy, what do people think?

Datsymay

Proud Member
Mark out of 10, I give her a 5. She didn't suit the role, too old. The songs did not suit her voice. They needed stronger voice. Her acting was pretty weak, esp at the beginning when she played shy little Dorothy who doesn't even smile at the sight of a new baby coming into the house. I am not conviced at all. Her dancing is pretty weak too. I also hate that blue dress.
Somebody please come in here and tell me why she was very good. I'm gonna watch it again tonight.
I love Diana to bits, but not in this role.:p

That wasn't Diana's best role. Of course, it doesn't help that the movie basically sucked ass, lol.

But they probably should have stuck with Stephanie Mills. Oh well. Diana's voice fit the songs well I thought. She isn't a dancer, so obviously, that's not going to be something you look at in criticing her role. Her acting was slightly over the top, lol. When she fell in to that sand pit when first landing in Oz and the graffittie people came towards her. When she screamed, it was so over the top that every time I see it, I just laugh my ass off, lol.

The whole production just blew. Michael was cute as hell in it though. I remember the first time I saw it. I got so excited when the first scene with him came on.

I wish he'd gotten to do more dancing and solo singing though. Damn. They just had him doing those easy steps, but none of the choreographed routins and only one solo performance. Originally they had him doing no solo performance but they changed it I think because Quincy Jones thought that was absurd, and he was right.

I liked the scene in the subway though. Talk about surreal! And the scene where him and Diana first meet and go dancing up the yellow brick road.

hmmm...Michael's acting was GREAT in it!!!!!

who knows- I'm used to seeing Diana in the role, so I can't really say. Though she was a bit older than the-what was it- 24 year old school teacher or something?

oh well- love diana!

i liked her in that role. i think she's a pretty good actress. i've also seen her in double platinum and a tv movie in which she played the schizophrenic. she was quite good. michael was too cute in it indeed and his acting was great. i give her a 9.5 :D
i thought the movie was really good. it wasnt made with the intention to be nominated for a best picture academy award it was made with the intention to be a lightweight and fun movie so dont be so harsh. very good musical. i totally prefer it over the original :D

^ i know. its not meant to be taken seriously. :)
I like the movie. It has a very good storyline and the songs all have a message and they are very uplifting. The problem I have with the singers, esp Diana is that I usually have to put on the subtext to hear what they are singing. I love watching the high school kids performing on youtube.
Yes, MJ excelled in this movie. He is such a natural, I am sure Diana did the best she could but when I first saw it I though she didn't fit the part, in so many ways, and I still do. I hear that Berry Gordy didn't want her to do it either but she insisted, and he was too weak to fight with her.:eek:

Last edited:
Well, I know Judy Garland was actually in her 30s when she played Dorathy in The Wizard of Oz, so I don't suppose age is too much of a factor. But I just thought Diana over played the part a bit and the actual film wasn't the best. She's actually a good actress though.

You could see how special Michael was though in the film. You could just see, on his own at that point, that he was in a lot of ways utterly unlike anybody else.

Last edited:
I think sometimes people make a movie. In this case i think this is absolutely true on all levels. Without Diana Ross and Michael Jackson this movie wouldve been a total joke.

The studio probably figured Diana was more of a draw than Stephanie, who was basically unknown at the time. And even when Stephanie made it, it was only with the R&B audience and never crossed over to the mainstream. The only person in the movie that was from the play is Ted Ross, the lion.

Well, I know Judy Garland was actually in her 30s when she played Dorathy in The Wizard of Oz, so I don't suppose age is too much of a factor. But I just thought Diana over played the part a bit and the actual film wasn't the best. She's actually a good actress though.

You could see how special Michael was though in the film. You could just see, on his own at that point, that he was in a lot of ways utterly unlike anybody else.

HUH?! Judy was 16 when she took the role. :lol:

i had no problem with her playing dorothy. i see it as different version of the wizard of oz which it is.

Back