For All Time - Thriller or Dangerous?

vinniram

Proud Member
This has been bugging me for a while now. Is "For All Time" a song recorded for Thriller or Dangerous?

The first time I heard about "For All Time" was as a Dangerous outtake, and that made sense to me, because it sounds like a Dangerous era song. It has the characteristics of a song from the early nineties in terms of where Michael's voice was at.

So it came as a bit of a shock to see "For All Time" in the Thriller 25 track listing. And, even more shocking, was the fact that it is being called a "never-before released outtake from the THRILLER RECORDING SESSIONS!!!". I have absolutely no idea what's going on here.

What I would really like to know is this - is the "For All Time" which is circulating around the internet, and which most people agree is a Dangerous outtake, is this "For All Time" the same as the "For All Time" being mentioned in the Thriller 25 track listing? Or are Dangerous "For All Time" and Thriller "For All Time" two completely different songs? Sorry, I've just got my mind in knots trying to work this one out.

The song was actually from Thriller days. But the For all time that we all have is from the Dangerous era. The one that's being released on Thriller 25 is rerecorded. Which means new vocals. But I think yeah, it was originally for the Thriller album. They are all the same, just that it's from different times.
You can check out the Thriller 25 part of this forum. All the information are there. :)

^ I agree. It's a Dangerous out-take disguised as a Thriller out-take. IMO Michael just really wanted to release this song and decided it's passable as a Thriller out-take so 'why not?'.

The song was actually from Thriller days. But the For all time that we all have is from the Dangerous era. The one that's being released on Thriller 25 is rerecorded. Which means new vocals. But I think yeah, it was originally for the Thriller album. They are all the same, just that it's from different times.
You can check out the Thriller 25 part of this forum. All the information are there. :)

What do you mean with new vocals?
Unheard vocals from the thriller era or real NEW, 2007 vocals?

It was written during the Thriller era, but Michael decided to record it during the Dangerous sessions. He didn't use the final product for Dangerous obviously. But now he decided to re-record it and release it. Technically it's from the Thriller era.

if it was written during the the thriller era its very modern for its time. unless it was a very basic melody etc then worked on later. its smacks of the dangerous era and the writing of that time

I'm sure Sony and Mike are just trying to pass it off as a Thriller out-take because of the title and it's significance to Thriller's continuing legacy that will not doubt carry on far into the future.

i wouldnt be surprised bob. after all its not like sony bother to much with getting dates and what not right

I can see it BEING WRITTEN during "Thriller" because some of his songs for other albums were recorded during different albums' releases:

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" was written in 1979, the same year "Off the Wall" came out.
By the time of "Triumph" and "Jacksons Live", Michael had written "Billie Jean" and "The Girl is Mine".
"The Way You Make Me Feel" was written at the end of the "Thriller"/"Victory"/Michaelmania period.

The question is when it was first recorded and "For the Record" clearly states it was around 1990 (I guessed '89 but that was the year he started recording "Dangerous") so that makes it technically a "Dangerous" outtake.

To me I just thought they were trying to pass it off..

Also maybe trying to get into peoples mind for this reason:

FOR ALL TIME was obviously recorded AFTER Thriller.. The tone and vocal is a lower register.. Maybe they want to make his voice sound more simular to NOW.. So people would think.. "Hey his voice has not changed at all. He was singing deeper even back then."

lol!

just a possibility.. :)

It's probably possible that it was written in the Thriller era, and recorded later on. The version that I've heard, though, sounds like it's from the Dangerous sessions.

I feel it sounds much like human nature.It's quite possible that song was from Thriller era ,at least written at that time.:punk:

His voice sounds very Dangerous to me and I always thought it was recorder then too. It's kinda weird if it was written around Thriller because to me the melody and everything .. But yeah it would be kinda weird it they released a Dangerous outtake on the new Thriller so in that way it sounds very believable.

I feel it sounds much like human nature.It's quite possible that song was from Thriller era ,at least written at that time.:punk:

The reason why For All Time might sound a little bit like Human Nature is because there's same man behind both of the songs, Steve Porcaro.

His voice sounds very Dangerous to me

:thumbs_up: :lol:

Last edited:
i expect mike would of recorded a small demo of most of the songs that made or didnt make thriller to see how they sound. this version is a demo from dangerous with beefed up sound lyrics and new bridge, i think the music sounds slightly different to original demo as well hurd it on radio 2 and music is better and slightly diff what did u think if u hurd it

I accept the fact that its a Thriller out-take coz if Sony/BMG (i.e MJ) says so then I accept it., can't really argue with them coz I wasn't there when it was written/recorded etc and also why would they lie? There are tons of other songs from Thriller sessions that never made it to T-25 so I can't see why would "For All Time" be too difficult to accept that it was from such out-takes. No one has heard 'Got the hots' for e.g It will be interesting to hear it coz I think some peeps have an 'idea' of what a Thriller out-take should sound like. That's my take on the subject anyway. :smile:

Last edited:
Well it's a Dangerous outtake. The only Thriller resemblances is that it was possibly WRITTEN in 1982 and that it featured members of Toto writing the song. And they were all on "Thriller" too especially on "Human Nature". Maybe that's why I LOVE "Human Nature" so much.

FACT: Its a work thats been in progress since the Thriller Sessions, It could have vocals from any year on it, as Michael has reworked the songs numerous times!

I believe it contains vocals from Thriller, Dangerous and Obviously New Vocals, but it could also contain Vocals and touch-ups from any other era!

It's definitely from the Dangerous era. The production and Michael's vocals are obviously from the 1989/90 period

Back