First Grammy Performers Announced

First GRAMMY Performers Announced
January 24, 2008
(1 of 1 images )
2634_Beyonce_WireImage.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beyoncé[/FONT]

Beyoncé, the Foo Fighters, Carrie Underwood, Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige, and Rihanna set to perform on the 50th GRAMMY telecast
GRAMMY.com
(For a complete list of 50th GRAMMY Award nominees, please click here.)
The Recording Academy announced the first set of performers for the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards today, including Beyoncé, the Foo Fighters and Carrie Underwood.
This year’s MusiCares Person of the Year Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige, the Clark Sisters, Israel And New Breed, and Trin-I-Tee 5:7 will perform in a special gospel segment.
Rihanna will perform with a reunited the Time in a special 50th anniversary segment.

The performers all are nominees this year. Ten-time GRAMMY Award winner Beyoncé has two nods: Record Of The Year ("Irreplaceable") and Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals ("Beautiful Liar" with Shakira).

Four-time GRAMMY winners the Foo Fighters have five nominations: Record Of The Year, Best Hard Rock Performance and Best Rock Song for "The Pretender"; and Album Of The Year and Best Rock Album for Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace.

As previously announced, the Foo Fighters will perform as part of this year's "My GRAMMY Moment" segment on the telecast. Produced in partnership with YouTube and CBS.com, up to 20 unsigned musicians will be given the unique opportunity to play with Foo Fighters as part of an orchestra created specifically for this event. Three of these musicians will vie to be a featured instrumentalist during the performance. Arranging the orchestral piece and taking up the baton as special guest conductor will be Led Zeppelin's legendary multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones. Together the Foo Fighters, Jones and this talented musical ensemble will provide the world with an entirely new take on the Foo Fighters' hit single "The Pretender."
Six-time GRAMMY winner Mary J. Blige is nominated for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance ("Just Fine") and Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals ("Disrespectful" with Chaka Khan). Additionally, 17-time GRAMMY Winner Aretha Franklin and Blige are up for Best Gospel Performance ("Never Gonna Break My Faith," featuring the Harlem Boys Choir).

The Clark Sisters, GRAMMY winners Israel And New Breed and Trin-I-Tee 5:7 all are nominated in the Gospel Field. The Clark Sisters have a nod for Best Gospel Performance ("Blessed & Highly Favored") and one for Best Traditional Gospel Album (Live — One Last Time). Israel And New Breed also are nominated for Best Gospel Performance ("With Long Life") and Best Pop/Contemporary Gospel Album (A Deeper Level). And Trin-I-Tee 5:7 has a nomination for Best Contemporary R&B Gospel Album (T57).
Rihanna is up for four awards: Record Of The Year and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration ("Umbrella"), Best Dance Recording ("Don't Stop The Music"), and Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals ("Hate That I Love You" featuring Ne-Yo). In a special 50th anniversary segment that bridges several decades, from the '80s to today, Rihanna will perform with the Time, who are reuniting for this special presentation.

Two-time GRAMMY winner Carrie Underwood has nods for Best Female Country Vocal Performance ("Before He Cheats") and Best Country Collaboration With Vocals ("Oh Love" with Brad Paisley).
The 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards will take place live on Sunday, Feb. 10 at Staples Center in Los Angeles and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 Surround Sound on the CBS Television Network from 8 – 11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). The show also will be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide and XM Satellite Radio, and covered online at GRAMMY.com. Additional performers, presenters and special segments will be announced soon.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/News/Default.aspx?newsID=2744&newsCategoryID=7

lol..that Beyonce Knowles oughta be on a government postage stamp. you can always count on her to appear, somewhere. she is the media's darling. not saying that's good or bad, just sayin...:p:lol:

"My GRAMMY Moment 2008" Unveils Quarter-Finalists
January 25, 2008
YouTube online voting begins as 45 musicians vie to perform at 50th GRAMMYs with Foo Fighters
GRAMMY.com

(For a complete list of 50th GRAMMY Award nominees, please click here.)
After a thorough evaluation process by a GRAMMY blue ribbon committee, The Recording Academytoday officially announced the 45 "My GRAMMY Moment 2008" quarter-finalists who will vie for the chance to perform on the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards with current five-time GRAMMY-nominated rock band Foo Fighters.

"A large number of accomplished instrumentalists from across the country aspire to play with the Foo Fighters on GRAMMY night; the 45 musicians selected reflect a diverse group of talented individuals," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "The Recording Academy has always supported new and developing artists through our many music education initiatives, so we look forward to working with the musicians selected by the YouTube community to play with the Foo Fighters as part of their orchestra."

Music fans can view the 45 musicians that have been chosen and vote for 15 instrumentalists they think should be a part of the Foo Fighters' orchestra by logging onto YouTube and voting online now through Jan. 27. "My GRAMMY Moment 2008" content will also be available across the CBS Audience Network and its more than 200online partners.

Over the next two weeks, the field will be narrowed from 15 semi-finalists to three finalists and eventually, one musician from the orchestra will be chosen as the featured performer. Led Zeppelin's legendary multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones will arrange a special orchestral version of the Foo Fighters' hit single "The Pretender" and will serve as special guest conductor of the Foo Fighters' orchestra.

"We're participating in 'My GRAMMY Moment' because it creates opportunities; opportunities to write, compose, play and study music — skills that absolutely need to be passed on to generations to come," said Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters. "And thanks to 'My GRAMMY Moment,' musicians from this next generation have the chance to play with us at the GRAMMYs as part of our orchestra."
The 15 semi-finalists will be announced on Jan. 28. These musicians are guaranteed a spot in the orchestra and will fly to Los Angeles during GRAMMY Week to rehearse with the band.

The Top 3 finalists will be announced on Feb. 4. Then, voting for one featured performer from the Top 3 will take place through Feb. 10 at 8 p.m. ET on YouTube. After that, voting will be open during the first two hours of the live telecast (8–10 p.m. ET) via text messaging. The featured instrumentalist will be announced live on stage during the telecast prior to his/her ultimate GRAMMY Moment with the Foo Fighters.
Musical instruments for the "My GRAMMY Moment" segment will be provided by Gibson Guitar. Rules and regulations, submission and voting information are available at YouTube.

The 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards will take place live on Sunday, Feb. 10 at Staples Center in Los Angeles and will be broadcast in HDTV and 5.1 Surround Sound on the CBS Television Networkfrom 8 – 11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). The show also will be supported on radio via Westwood One worldwide and XM Satellite Radio, and covered online at GRAMMY.com.Additional performers, presenters and special segments will be announced soon.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/News/Default.aspx?newsID=2745&newsCategoryID=1

Lawd, I don't even know who the Foo Fighters are. Youtube is extremely popular. Can't imagine how we got along without it.

Last edited:
lol..that Beyonce Knowles oughta be on a government postage stamp. you can always count on her to appear, somewhere. she is the media's darling. not saying that's good or bad, just sayin...:p:lol:

you know, she just may be one day.:cool:

Great news, I love The Foo Fighters. I'm definitely tuning in to this performance. :D

Lawd, I don't even know who the Foo Fighters are

They're an alternative rock/post grunge band from the 90s.

Not Mary J. Blige again. Damn, here comes the overdramatic "I'm in massive amounts of physical pain" routine again, lol.

Back