janet - the album - appreciation

Tony R

Proud Member
I think the peak of Janet's recording career came with janet in 1993.

In my opinion she's never bettered it and it has some of her best ever songs on it:

That's The Way Love Goes
Throb
You Want This
Anytime, Anyplace

and the crowning glory ....if

One of the best songs of all time with a stunning video.

One of my favorite Janet albums, I love it!

My favorites are That's The Way Love Goes, New Agenda and Again.
I bought the CD a month ago, it was on my shopping list and I finally found it.

Janet is certainly one of Janet Jackson's best albums. I think the only album that was better than Janet is The Velvet Rope.

Does anybody else get a strong Dangerous vibe from this album and The Velvet Rope? They seem to compliment Dangerous very well.

Yeah, it's a pretty good album. My fave tracks are:

That's The Way Love Goes
Any Time, Any Place
Because Of Love
Funky Big Band
Again
The Body That Loves You
You Want This
Where Are You Now
If

Last edited:
I think that album was her most successful, it was her only UK number 1. Its an amazing album, and it totally gave Janet the sex symbol iconic title.

Janet was definitely at her hottest during the "Janet" era. I'm not even a big fan of hers like that but I gotta admit that the music, performances, video's, etc. were all on point. She was stunning during that time too. That's the best she ever looked IMO.

janpose4-1.jpg

jan8bs9.jpg

Janet-Jackson-Again-151909.jpg

6wqayb6.jpg

I think i'm gonna hang this picture up on my fridge for encouragement to get my butt back in the gym! lol Her abs are serious. I want a stomach like hers.

Last edited:
Janet is certainly one of Janet Jackson's best albums. I think the only album that was better than Janet is The Velvet Rope.

Does anybody else get a strong Dangerous vibe from this album and The Velvet Rope? They seem to compliment Dangerous very well.

Yes! A million percent. 92/93 was fantastic with singles from janet & Dangerous being released and amazing videos on TV. It was one of my favourite times in music history.

There seemed to be a friendly rivalry going on. Janet outsold Dangerous in US but worldwide Michael won (25 million copies vs 20 million).

I think the peak of Janet's recording career came with janet in 1993.

In my opinion she's never bettered it and it has some of her best ever songs on it:

That's The Way Love Goes
Throb
You Want This
Anytime, Anyplace

and the crowning glory ....if

One of the best songs of all time with a stunning video.

This album is a masterpiece IMO. The 3 albums in a row were her best I think- Rhythm, Janet and The Velvet Rope. All amazing- lyrically, musically and thematically.

I agree "If" is an incredible song. :yes:

Another good thing about janet was the artwork and booklet.

The use of those bronze colours in her hair, the typeface etc all made an aesthetic joy. The same with the Dangerous booklet.

The cover is oooooh!!

Another good thing about janet was the artwork and booklet.

The use of those bronze colours in her hair, the typeface etc all made an aesthetic joy. The same with the Dangerous booklet.

The cover is oooooh!!

I loove the artwork in janet.!

The cover is so simple but still the most beautiful Janet cover, IMO.

I love every song on that album. But I love "if" most of all if I had to choose a favorite.

Yes! A million percent. 92/93 was fantastic with singles from janet & Dangerous being released and amazing videos on TV. It was one of my favourite times in music history.

There seemed to be a friendly rivalry going on. Janet outsold Dangerous in US but worldwide Michael won (25 million copies vs 20 million).

A million copies seperate them in the US. "Janet" has done close to 8 million and "Dangerous" has done close to 7 million in the US.

I like the version of "What'll I Do" with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers better than the one on the album.

LOVE this record. I remember going to the janet. tour in 1995 when she came to Australia!

My 2nd favorite Janet album behind TVR.

I don't hear any similarities. Dangerous is just part 2 of RN1814. Velvet Rope is pretty much part 2 of HIStory (disc 2)....only VR is more personal and introspective.

Back