Janet Jackson

I love Janet, she's one of my favorite artists. :) Control, Rhythm Nation, Janet, and The Velvet Rope are my favorites (the Velvet Rope is nearly perfect!)

Ironically, I met a coworker today who's a huge fan of Janet. :lol:

Im Janet fan and am loving Feedback atm. Im doing my own mix of it as we speak.

VH1's review of the Discipline tracks
VH-1 has now posted their own review of the songs that were previewed yesterday at L.A. Reid's private listening party.

The review refers to Discipline as "easily her most dance-oriented album since Rhythm Nation 1814." It also reveals the title of another new track, "Curtains."

Their review of each of the nine previewed songs is posted below:

1. "Luv" - An extended automotive metaphor (red lights/headlights imagery, the line: "He hit me with his love") makes this like a bumper-car rink for Janet's vocals, which bounce her constant refrain of "Luv, luv, luv, luv..." all over the place. Vocally, it's hyper like the chorus of Chris Brown's "With You," but musically, it sounds like a Southern-fried sequel to Kanye West's "Good Life." Reid played this one twice and after the second time, there was some murmuring about it being the next single. Commercially, that would make a lot of sense.

2. "Feedback" - The single, duh. It has a house beat, but it's the least house-y of the other 4/4 tracks. Oh yeah, Janet goes there. Also, I can't tell you how wonderful it was to hear Janet sing about her period amongst fine wood office furniture and expensive candles. A moment to remember, for sure.

3. "This Can't Be Good" - Think Aaliyah's "Rock the Boat" with a more punishing beat, and you're halfway there. Another obvious reference point would be Michael Jackson's "Butterflies" and/or Janet's own "Spending Time With You" from Damita Jo. Lyrics are standard falling-in-love-too-deep fare, although the song is put together well: the thwack of the snare contrasts heavily with the layers of cooing vocals. The layers pile and pile so that by the bridge, the song is virtually dizzying. This one's extremely well-produced, but perhaps the least exciting track we were privy to.

4. "Rock With You" - This one was rumored to be a cover of Michael Jackson's classic and/or to feature Michael himself. It's neither. It seems to have some melodic elements snatched from Mike's track, although the chorus is more, "Ooh ooh ooh ooooh oooh oooh" than "I wanna rock with you." Janet's vocals seem a bit detached and robotic, but that's not an insult: they're most reminiscent of Donna Summer's in "I Feel Love" without the operatic flair. This one is pure house music, with an electroboogie bass line borrowed from the '80s. It's bright enough so that it wouldn't sound out of place on one of those Beach House compilations released by Hed Kandi.

5. "Tonight" - Speaking of bright, this one just shines. It's another dance track - more or less housey (although the beat pattern has a slight twist keeping it from being straight four-on-the-floor for most of it). It has the filter-house thing of Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" going on (the second verse is virtually treble-free), but where that song has a darkish vibe, this one's up up up. Again, Janet seems detached, but that's only during the verses: she breaks out like the sun between clouds during the chorus, belting in her high register that immediately reminded me of "Young Love." The song only gets better as it goes, too: two killer bridges and an amazing breakdown ("Don't leave me alone tonight / Don't leave me tonight") close it out. Epic and brilliant: this is by far my favorite track that we were played.

6. "The Greatest Ex" - A departure for Janet, this one's most akin to OneRepublic's "Apologize." Like "Tonight," there's this epic sensibility, but this time it's applied to the power-ballad template. Timbaland-esque beats skitter around Janet's confession (this definitely seems like the most personal song on the record): "In my heart, I know you'll always be the greatest ex ever." I pointed out to L.A. Reid after that this is the pop smash, the Z100 crossover and he agreed. It's not the best track, but it has tremendous potential to kill at radio. Seriously, if Janet can't get a hit with this one, it isn't her fault; it's the world's.

7. "Discipline" - The baby-making track (though in an interview conducted with Janet today, she told us about "Curtains," which is faster but with a sexy vibe). It's similar in theme to Velvet Rope's "Rope Burn," but not in sound. This is slower and sparser, like a Prince song that's not purple, but black and blue. "I misbehaved / I touched myself even though you told me not to," coos Janet to her "Daddy" before asking him to "take out your frustrations on me." It's heavy stuff, but probably not as dark as it sounds. The snare is made to sound like a whip, which is a pretty brilliant touch.

8. "Rollercoaster" - One of the most bizarre things that Janet's ever done, it wouldn't be surprising if this one ended up being left off the album. It's extremely layered and tough to get your head around: the melody never seems quite right until the bridge and then after, it's more topsy-turvy. Rodney Jerkins produced this one and though it shares virtually no musical ideas with it, it has the same woozy effect as "What About Us?" which he produced for Brandy.

9. "Let Me Know" - A Miami-bass-esque ballad that's somewhat indistinct, but nice all the same. It sounds more like filler than anything else we were played, but it's pleasant enough.​

Im Janet fan and am loving Feedback atm. Im doing my own mix of it as we speak.

VH1's review of the Discipline tracks
VH-1 has now posted their own review of the songs that were previewed yesterday at L.A. Reid's private listening party.

The review refers to Discipline as "easily her most dance-oriented album since Rhythm Nation 1814." It also reveals the title of another new track, "Curtains."

Their review of each of the nine previewed songs is posted below:

1. "Luv" - An extended automotive metaphor (red lights/headlights imagery, the line: "He hit me with his love") makes this like a bumper-car rink for Janet's vocals, which bounce her constant refrain of "Luv, luv, luv, luv..." all over the place. Vocally, it's hyper like the chorus of Chris Brown's "With You," but musically, it sounds like a Southern-fried sequel to Kanye West's "Good Life." Reid played this one twice and after the second time, there was some murmuring about it being the next single. Commercially, that would make a lot of sense.

2. "Feedback" - The single, duh. It has a house beat, but it's the least house-y of the other 4/4 tracks. Oh yeah, Janet goes there. Also, I can't tell you how wonderful it was to hear Janet sing about her period amongst fine wood office furniture and expensive candles. A moment to remember, for sure.

3. "This Can't Be Good" - Think Aaliyah's "Rock the Boat" with a more punishing beat, and you're halfway there. Another obvious reference point would be Michael Jackson's "Butterflies" and/or Janet's own "Spending Time With You" from Damita Jo. Lyrics are standard falling-in-love-too-deep fare, although the song is put together well: the thwack of the snare contrasts heavily with the layers of cooing vocals. The layers pile and pile so that by the bridge, the song is virtually dizzying. This one's extremely well-produced, but perhaps the least exciting track we were privy to.

4. "Rock With You" - This one was rumored to be a cover of Michael Jackson's classic and/or to feature Michael himself. It's neither. It seems to have some melodic elements snatched from Mike's track, although the chorus is more, "Ooh ooh ooh ooooh oooh oooh" than "I wanna rock with you." Janet's vocals seem a bit detached and robotic, but that's not an insult: they're most reminiscent of Donna Summer's in "I Feel Love" without the operatic flair. This one is pure house music, with an electroboogie bass line borrowed from the '80s. It's bright enough so that it wouldn't sound out of place on one of those Beach House compilations released by Hed Kandi.

5. "Tonight" - Speaking of bright, this one just shines. It's another dance track - more or less housey (although the beat pattern has a slight twist keeping it from being straight four-on-the-floor for most of it). It has the filter-house thing of Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" going on (the second verse is virtually treble-free), but where that song has a darkish vibe, this one's up up up. Again, Janet seems detached, but that's only during the verses: she breaks out like the sun between clouds during the chorus, belting in her high register that immediately reminded me of "Young Love." The song only gets better as it goes, too: two killer bridges and an amazing breakdown ("Don't leave me alone tonight / Don't leave me tonight") close it out. Epic and brilliant: this is by far my favorite track that we were played.

6. "The Greatest Ex" - A departure for Janet, this one's most akin to OneRepublic's "Apologize." Like "Tonight," there's this epic sensibility, but this time it's applied to the power-ballad template. Timbaland-esque beats skitter around Janet's confession (this definitely seems like the most personal song on the record): "In my heart, I know you'll always be the greatest ex ever." I pointed out to L.A. Reid after that this is the pop smash, the Z100 crossover and he agreed. It's not the best track, but it has tremendous potential to kill at radio. Seriously, if Janet can't get a hit with this one, it isn't her fault; it's the world's.

7. "Discipline" - The baby-making track (though in an interview conducted with Janet today, she told us about "Curtains," which is faster but with a sexy vibe). It's similar in theme to Velvet Rope's "Rope Burn," but not in sound. This is slower and sparser, like a Prince song that's not purple, but black and blue. "I misbehaved / I touched myself even though you told me not to," coos Janet to her "Daddy" before asking him to "take out your frustrations on me." It's heavy stuff, but probably not as dark as it sounds. The snare is made to sound like a whip, which is a pretty brilliant touch.

8. "Rollercoaster" - One of the most bizarre things that Janet's ever done, it wouldn't be surprising if this one ended up being left off the album. It's extremely layered and tough to get your head around: the melody never seems quite right until the bridge and then after, it's more topsy-turvy. Rodney Jerkins produced this one and though it shares virtually no musical ideas with it, it has the same woozy effect as "What About Us?" which he produced for Brandy.

9. "Let Me Know" - A Miami-bass-esque ballad that's somewhat indistinct, but nice all the same. It sounds more like filler than anything else we were played, but it's pleasant enough.​

so im guessing those are not all the songs of the album just the ones that were previewed at that party. i now more than ever cant wait to listen to the album in its entirety for the first time.

oh and to reply to this thread lol yes im a huge fan. i love janet to bits both as an artist and as a person. shes amazing

How long have you all been fans?

i really got into her music in the late '90s (i became a MJ fan in 1991) but i became more hardcore fan when i got my first computer and had internet at home for the very first time (2004)

I got into Janet's music around 2003, I think. I've liked her songs way before then, though. :)

I love All Nite (Don't Stop) :) this is my favourite video... but feedback video is not good in my opinion... :/

Last edited:
I love her new album!!! I went to the Velvet Rope Tour and it was the best performance I have EVER seen!!! (never been to a concert of Michael :( :( :( ) Feedback is just awesome!

I love her new album!!! I went to the Velvet Rope Tour and it was the best performance I have EVER seen!!! (never been to a concert of Michael :( :( :( ) Feedback is just awesome!

What do you mean by you love her new album? Has Discipline leaked? :mello:

What do you mean by you love her new album? Has Discipline leaked? :mello:

No, sorry, I was just referring to feedback and the cover that is already viewable on the internet. But I am sure that I will love all the songs on it, I have read a review of it and it sounds as if it is going to be very good!

I've like her since she was in Fame!

Her best album is def janet. I started a thread on the Jackson Family forum.

Her best song & video is if and when I saw her live she was amazing and definitely rivalled Michael on stage.

I don't think she's made a great album for a while now although I have high hopes for Discipline.

Here is Janet's official trackilisting for her new album "Discipline"

1. I.D.
2. Feedback
3. LUV
4. Spinnin
5. Rollercoaster
6. Bathroom Break
7. Rock With U
8. 2nite
9. Can't B Good
10. 4 Words
11. Never Letchu Go
12. Truth Or Dare
13. Greatest X
14. Good Morning Janet
15. So Much Betta
16. Play Selection
17. The 1
18. What's Ur Name
19. The Meaning
20. Discipline
21. Back
22. Curtains

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/60/25/17/61/0060251761355_500X500.jpg

I love Janet so much. She is my favourite female, I never really became a huge fan until my early teens - which is late like 2000, but I loved her since The Velvet Rope but I was too young to really understand, I just used to try and do the Together Again routine all day when it came out. But yes, she is one of my favourite artists of all time. She is amazing.

Big fan of Janet as well. I got hooked when RN came out. "Escapade" was my jam. OMG! I really hope the new project fairs well for her. It's so sad how the last two albums went almost entirely unnoticed. "Feedback" is a sexy and fun track much like Britney's "Gimme More" but it doesn't seem to be catching on as far as the charts. I wish Janet would get out there and promote it. I hope the next single is able to climb the charts. Janet really needs a hit song and album. Three failures in a row won't look good and it will be so tragic coming from one of music's most talented pop queens. I'm rooting for ya, Janet Damita Jo!

Not a huge fan, but I love love love the entire "Rhythm Nation" album! That's my fave album of hers. "Janet", "Control" and "Velvet Rope" were pretty good too.

I've been a fan since Rhythm Nation a Huge fan since '95.I've seen her in concert once so far on the opening night of the All for You Tour.I have all of her albums and all of her tours on tape.She's my favorite female artists and always will be.She's the Queen of music.

Back