Where was that? (Fred Astaire & Michael)

it is probably a personal photo of michael's since it is from Moonwalk.

Yes, they were neighbours and MJ used to bump into him when he was out riding his bike. I can't remember where I read it. MJ has been around some of the greatest people of his time. He met them all.
was this before or after motown?

Jackson dedicates his 1988 autobiography (’Moonwalk’) to Fred Astaire.

http://floacist.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/quotes-on-michael-jackson/
“Oh, God! That boy moves in a very exceptional way. That’s the greatest dancer of the century”. - Fred Astaire
“I didn’t want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!”- Fred Astaire (shortly before his death)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN3MCnG2YB0
Michael Jackson recalls Fred Astaire’s phone call after Motown 25 performance of ‘Billie Jean’.

I could be wrong, but the picture seemes to be taken on the set of making of thriller, when he rehersed with ola, he wore the same shirt.

Singing In the Rain is the most famous and I believe both men were in this film, Gene and Fred

The dance segment in the rain with the lamp post is very great

some say Gene Kelly was a finer mover than Fred and Smooth Criminal is heavily based on a Gene Kelly dance in a white suit, with a hat

Check out box sets of 40's musicals for cheap dvd deals
Thanx!!:)
and about that dance in a white suit..do u know the name of that movie too?

Singing In the Rain is the most famous and I believe both men were in this film, Gene and Fred

some say Gene Kelly was a finer mover than Fred and Smooth Criminal is heavily based on a Gene Kelly dance in a white suit, with a hat

no... only Gene and Donald O'Connor were in the classic....

'Smooth Criminal's as well as 'Dangerous' inspiration ( "The Band Wagon"- Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse-COOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGGw3RH5ug- it's just a part:D

ps. I love them both (Gene and Fred) but personally I prefer Fred

Last edited:
fred told Michael he was 'One hell of a

I was one of the fans who watched Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire movies just because Michael had mentioned them
I watched the musicals BEFORE I even knew who Michael Jackson was :D

and I just LOVED them .... I love them still!:punk:

J
“Oh, God! That boy moves in a very exceptional way. That’s the greatest dancer of the century”. - Fred Astaire
“I didn’t want to leave this world without knowing who my descendant was. Thank you Michael!”- Fred Astaire (shortly before his death)

:heart::heart::heart::weeping::yes::give_rose:

"Smooth Criminal" is actually inspried by a segment from Fred Astaire's film "The Bandwagon". Michael himself has said he feel's Fred Astaire was a better dancer then Gene Kelly, and I would agree.

"Singing In The Rain" only had Gene Kelly in it. Gene and Fred only ever appeared in one movie together, called "The Zigfield Follies", where they did one dance number together.

Michael is built very similarly to Astaire, long legs, very thin, perfect height, you see they're about the same height, and they both are the same type of dancer. Both give equal attention to their upper body movement as their lower and their coordination is very centered, giving them incredible balance and control. And both are phenomenally graceful, fast and accurate.

Last edited:
An earlier pic, I think its from Sesame Street... Michaels looking at Fred Astaire with such admiration in this picture. The look hes giving him is just like hes amazed or something.

xf7tib.jpg

The sliding of the glass down the bar in that "The Band Wagon" clip above is in You Rock My World :)

Last edited:
An earlier pic, I think its from Sesame Street... Michaels looking at Fred Astaire with such admiration in this picture. The look hes giving him is just like hes amazed or something.

xf7tib.jpg
Would you not be?:D

Michael himself has said he feel's Fred Astaire was a better dancer then Gene Kelly, and I would agree.

really, he said this???? When?That's cool!

Well, I always prefered Fred as I said above (but Gene was cool as well), I used to watch him with an amazement :eek:when I was a little girl in the early 80s:D

"Singing In The Rain" only had Gene Kelly in it.
and Donald O'connor ( "Make Them Laugh" or the "Moses Number" with him were really classic)
RiP all the great dancers..... but don't you worry
Michael Jackson is still alive:)... thanks GOD

Last edited:
The sliding of the glass down the bar in that "The Band Wagon" clip above is in You Rock My World :)

and the text that is being said by Fred is an inspiration for "Dangerous'' as I said above:D

really, he said this???? When?That's cool!

Well, I always prefered Fred as I said above (but Gene was cool as well), I used to wach him with an amazement :eek:when I was a little girl in the early 80s:D

and Donald O'connor ( "Make Them Laugh" or the "Moses Number" with him were really classic)
RiP all the great dancers..... but don't you worry
Michael Jackson is still alive:)... thanks GOD

Yeah, he said so in an interview with Mike Douglas from around 1975 I think. Michael had just watched "That's Entertainment" and he was all anamored with Fred and he said that Fred was built for dancing and that he was smoother then Gene. But after Fred he said Gene was his second favorite. Donald O'Conner was a great dancer as well, very athletic. Another is Danny Kaye, who you see in that Disney 25th Anniversary special with Michael from 1980. Anyway, Michael is in that class of elite movers. That's why I get miffed when they compare today's music acts that dance to Michael or vice versa because it really undermines Michael's actual talent level. He's world class, not pop class, lol.

It's obvious that Fred Astaire is the dancer Michael is most impressed with and most similar to in terms of the way he moves. Style wise, I would say Bob Fosse has had the biggest influence on Michael, with jazz steps and such. But the way Michael moves, with that kind of grace, speed and clean lines, is most like Astaire.

Last edited:
Back