Did MJ get the moonwalk from here?

He claims to have got it from Charlie Chaplin's "walking against the wind" routine. But if you look at clips from he 1930s onwards there are a lot of dancers who have done similar move to the moonwalk. But as far as I'm aware it was never done the exact same way MJ does it. True, he was taught the moonwalk from other dancers from the Electric Boogaloo and stuff, but he took that dance (which was known as the backslide) and perfected it into a move that's different enough to be considered a new move all together IMO.

Regardless, that Bill Bailey sure can dance. Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
He claims to have got it from Charlie Chaplin's "walking against the wind" routine. But if you look at clips from he 1930s onwards there are a lot of dancers who have done similar move to the moonwalk. But as far as I'm aware it was never done the exact same way MJ does it. True, he was taught the moonwalk from other dancers from the Electric Boogaloo and stuff, but he took that dance (which was known as the backslide) and perfected it into a move that's different enough to be considered a new move all together IMO.

Regardless, that Bill Bailey sure can dance. Thanks for the video.

MJ has only ever claimed that another dancer or dancers taught him how to do it in the early 80's. He writes about it in Moonwalk and talks about it in the Oprah Interview :)

They taught him how to do the backslide. The moonwalk looks different, is more fluid, is more refined than the backslide.

Yes, that's what I meant. He says in The Oprah Interview "I enhanced the dance". I definitely have seen no one do it like MJ- he's incredible. ^_^

Michael learned something and did something completely different, how about that? :lol: We just had a heated topic about this before some of you guys who are "new" came here, lol.

cab calloway sort of did it...i saw it in minnie the moocher..
hey we talked about this in another thread didnt we?:)

Back