4th Feb, 2008: Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

L.J

Proud Member
G'day Folks :punk:

In today's News:

There's a lot of talk about the thrillicious ad :wild:

Which you can go vote for by checking out this thread: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45608

SoBe Life Water Super Bowl Commercial Featuring Naomi Campbell Now Available to Media

NEW YORK, Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- SoBe Life Water launches its full portfolio of beverages in a highly innovative and unprecedented Super Bowl commercial. Featuring the song "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, on the eve of the album's 25th anniversary, the spot stars Supermodel Naomi Campbell, who along with a cast of SoBe lizards, introduce the world to the concept of Thrillicious.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/food-beverages/20080203/NYSU00703022008-1.html

also:

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]JACKSON EYES COLLABORATION WITH ACCLAIMED PAINTER [/FONT]

Pop superstar MICHAEL JACKSON is hoping to add art mogul to his resume - after pursuing an up-and-coming American painter for his wares.
The Thriller singer is currently in talks with acclaimed New York artist Kehinde Wiley, whose buyers include Denzel Washington and Sir Elton John.
But Wiley - who is famed for his portraits of urban black men in classic Renaissance scenes - thought the planned hook-up was initially a hoax.
He says, "Michael Jackson is calling me. We're discussing exactly what it will involve. He saw my work at the Brooklyn Museum and was taken with it, so he had his people contact me.
"I thought it was a joke at first, so I ignored it for the longest time. Then he contacted a friend of mine who's an actor, so I knew it was for real."

http://www.pr-inside.com/jackson-eyes-collaboration-with-acclaimed-r419494.htm

And Ola Ray has something to say:

I was star of Michael jackson's £700m Thriller video... and got paid £600

Exclusive: 25 years on for best-selling album ever

By Deborah Sherwood And Annette Witheridge 03/02/2008

Thriller was the video that changed pop music forever... and turned Michael Jackson into the biggest star in the world.
Made by a top Hollywood director and lasting 14 minutes, it was the most expensive pop promo of its era with a thenunprecedented budget of £400,000.
It helped Jackson's Thriller album to become the biggestseller of all time with profits of £700million.​
DF277E3F-BFAD-6967-508E6929502E7075.jpg

Now, as a 25th anniversary edition of Thriller is released this week, featuring remixes by stars such as Kanye West, we can reveal how the unknown actress chosen to star alongside Jackson was paid just £600.
Ola Ray was a 22-year-old glamour model trying to break into acting in 1982 when she beat hundreds of other hopefuls to the part of Jackson's girlfriend in the mini-horror movie.
The former Playboy centrefold was a huge fan of the singer and says she was always confident of landing the role. "The minute I walked into the audition I knew it was mine," she says. "I read a few lines, danced to some music and the rest is history."
Ola still had to wait two weeks until she got the good news. But she'll never forget her first meeting with Jackson.
"I was getting changed, so I was crouched down halfnaked on the dressing room floor and he came in and giggled," she recalls.
"I was used to taking my clothes off in front of strangers.
Michael seemed very relaxed about it." Ola, 47 and a full-time mum living in California, knew Thriller was going to be no ordinary video. "It helped that I was crazy about Michael and he seemed taken by the fact I was a Playboy model," she says.
Ola and Michael became good friends during the two-week shoot. She says she loved to flirt with the star, who was then dating actress Brooke Shields. "I teased him, saying I wanted to be his girl," she says.
"After we shared a limo, I sprayed my perfume around so he'd remember me. He was cute but childlike. Michael then was nothing like the Michael of today. He loved chasing me or jumping out from behind a wall."
The Thriller video, directed by John Landis of Blues Brothers fame, was a record-breaking success, helping start the MTV phenomenon.
The album is still the biggest seller of all time, with 104 million sold.
But Ola didn't have a share of the honeypot and ended in financial trouble. She says Michael used to help out with cheques of around £2,500. "I did lots of TV commercials but I wasn't exactly flooded with work," she says.
"Everyone thinks I made millions but I don't care... I wouldn't change anything." She saw Jackson a few years later but lost touch.
In 1992 Ola was charged with cocaine possession and after a stint in rehab she left Los Angeles to start a new life in Sacramento, where she lives with her daughter Iam, 12.
Ola says: "I'm just so proud to have been part of something that's still so special."
104m sold.. no one can Beat It
104MILLION copies of the Thriller album were sold - 50million in the US alone.
It topped the US chart for 37 weeks, was No1 here too, and spent 190 weeks in the charts.
Its sales record is unlikely to be broken thanks to a long-term decline in record sales.
Thriller spawned five Top 10 UK hits, including Beat It, P.Y.T. and No1 Billie Jean.
It cost £400,000 at a time when most video budgets were around £25,000.​

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...riller-video-and-got-paid-600-98487-20307165/

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

This was the eighth Super Bowl of the 21st century, but if you were only paying attention to the commercials, you might have thought it was the 1970s, '80s or '90s.
It wasn't just older themes that played during the between-plays breaks in Super Bowl XLII, such as Budweiser's Dalmatians and Clydesdales, which have been commercial stars during the big game for decades. Sunday's Super Bowl ads also referred to Michael Jackson's "Thriller," the Andrea True disco song "More, More, More" and the "Saturday Night Live" skit that led to the 1998 movie "A Night at the Roxbury." And that was just in the first half.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/MNPLUR873.DTL

Creatures Rule in Super Bowl Ad Bonanza

By SETH SUTEL – 5 hours ago
NEW YORK (AP) — It was an epic battle of the creatures Sunday night in the Super Bowl ads, ranging from the cute to the menacing to the inexplicably rhythmic. A band of lizard-like reptiles cutting the rug to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? Hey, it's the Super Bowl.

PepsiCo Inc.'s Sobe Life Water brand brought out some dancing lizards to bop along with Naomi Campbell to Michael Jackson's '80s classic "Thriller," whose 25th anniversary edition is coming out later this month.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h8cpWAqKFk116UzfnJ1nZqgEjyGAD8UJAIB82

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1997 - "Daily Variety" reported that Michael Jackson had fired his long time personal managers and had signed a contract with Prince Alwaleed Bin Talai.

1997 - Michael Jackson testified in Rome that he did not steal his 1991 song "Will You Be There." Italian singer Al Bano claimed that the Jackson song was stolen from his 1987 song "Swans of Balaka." \

MJJC TIP of the Day:

Activate your PMs by going to your User CP and then visiting your Edit Options :woohoo:

Last edited:
Thanx for the news.

Bet Ola got paid for her interview.

But Wiley - who is famed for his portraits of urban black men in classic Renaissance scenes -
thought the planned hook-up was initially a hoax.
He says, "Michael Jackson is calling me. We're discussing exactly what it will involve.
He saw my work at the Brooklyn Museum and was taken with it, so he had his people contact me.
"I thought it was a joke at first,

Why do most folk think it's a joke when they're contacted by MJ? Lol!

*Researches this Wily dude*

Was Naomi Campbell in a michael jackson video? Like Keep it in the closet, liberian girl, or something else? Or am I completely wrong?

wow, thanks for that link to Kihinde Wiley's work, it is really good. Let's hope that Michael may have contacted him in regard to some album cover work.... although a photo of MJ would be awesome too!

Whoot whoot for multitasking.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...y-we-can-muster/2008/02/04/1202090323748.html

And now to the ads, with all the energy we can muster
Christine Daniels
February 5, 2008

A look at some of the commercials that hit their mark and others that misfired:
Got the job done: SoBe Life Water: Naomi Campbell and lines of computer-graphic lizards dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Did you know that this month marks the 25th anniversary of the release of Thriller? You do now.
Diet Pepsi Max: Ad for a soft drink that supposedly adds life without the calories revives people nodding off as they wait, presumably, for the Patriots to score.

LOS ANGELES TIMES

I bet he wants that artist to do a new album cover or somethin, hehe.

Thanks for sharing!

This tidbit is from a French tabloid site, it's harmless so I'll post it here:

Michael Jackson was hiding in Paris during the NRJ Music Awards

What could Michael Jackson have better to do than attending the NRJ Music Awards? The answer is: hanging out in Paris. Everyone had expected him to come to the award show in Cannes, which never happened. But according to Closer Magazine, Michael Jackson was in France, he'd arrived the day before the ceremony (jan 25, 2008). Booked under an alias ("Mr Gordon") at the exclusive Crillon Hotel, he enjoyed a weekend in Paris, incognito. Nothing stops the king of pop when it comes to tricking the media eye...

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/purepeople/20080204/ten-michael-jackson-se-cachait-paris-pen-0111c6b.html

Last edited:
thanks for the news and articles.. :)

In a little bit, once I get back from the store I have something to tell everyone.. MJ related.. As some know I was outside of the stadium yesterday of the Superbowl..

I met some peeps. Some of which MJ related, I'll let you know what went down in the Michael Jackson: Present & Future Thread in a little bit. when I get back..

In a little bit, once I get back from the store I have something to tell everyone.. MJ related.. As some know I was outside of the stadium yesterday of the Superbowl..

I met some peeps. Some of which MJ related, I'll let you know what went down in the Michael Jackson: Present & Future Thread in a little bit. when I get back..

Ooh Inside information, I like.;) I'm excited to find out what was said!:D

Last edited:
Whoot whoot for multitasking.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...y-we-can-muster/2008/02/04/1202090323748.html

And now to the ads, with all the energy we can muster
Christine Daniels
February 5, 2008

A look at some of the commercials that hit their mark and others that misfired:
Got the job done: SoBe Life Water: Naomi Campbell and lines of computer-graphic lizards dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Did you know that this month marks the 25th anniversary of the release of Thriller? You do now.
Diet Pepsi Max: Ad for a soft drink that supposedly adds life without the calories revives people nodding off as they wait, presumably, for the Patriots to score.

LOS ANGELES TIMES

And is the whole point of the ad! ;) Now lets sit back and watch the media spread the word!:yes: (I still don't get how anyone can't see the genius of this move (ad)?

I bet he wants that artist to do a new album cover or somethin, hehe.

Thanks for sharing!

Funny I started a thread about this ages ago... wonder what happened to it!LOL

great let us know what's going on.. it would be great to hear something

I scanned this article that you already mentioned about the NY painter & Michael.

This is from The Independent (UK)

*You might need to save it and zoom in to read it*

scan0022.jpg

Back