The Rape of the World

Bob George

Proud Member
Marilyn Manson, the most controversial figure in rock and roll during the nineties, is back! In 2002 a crucial member of the band, Twiggy Ramirez, left the band. After a rough year, losing out on love and trying to kill himself with alcohol, Twiggy is back in the band that made him him just as he made Marilyn Manson, Marilyn Manson. Yes, the band wasn't quite the same without Twiggy. But now he's back, and the line-up is perfect. Marilyn Manson out front, Twiggy Ramirez on bass, Ginger Fish on drums, Rob Holliday on guitar and Chris Vrenna on keyboards. This line up, is the best line up the band has ever had. It's perfect.

Of course, with the band back together, there's no better way to celebrate than by going out on the road again. They've titled their US tour "The Rape of the World" tour, and boy oh boy does it live up to it's name. Manson is baring his arse, he's burning bibles, he's performing sexual acts with and then decapitating mannequins and of course, protestors have followed him around the country. Marilyn Manson are definitely back in their glory. Here are some photos from the NYC concert...

Manson33.jpg

Manson37.jpg

Manson11.jpg

Manson16.jpg

Manson17.jpg

^with Twiggy Ramirez on bass

Manson39.jpg

and here is a video from the NYC concert of "Coma White/Coma Black"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mPW4o_AjpD8

I hope they take this tour international. I would love to see them if they come to Australia. This is a tour I definitely wouldn't want to miss. Entertainment at its best. Value for your money.

Last edited:
lacks a bit of.. soul.. for my taste. the darkest and most politically controversial i can get to is someone like immortal technique, and even then i'd think to myself "i actually want to escape this **** when i listen to music - got enough going on back in the real world".

but anyway, kudos to them for staying in the mainstream.

Last edited:
I also listen to music to escape real world issues, but sometimes it's good for real world issues to be portrayed musically. It make things a lot more evident. For me, anyway. Music makes sense to me the way nothing else does.

Anyway, I just came across this awesome picture of Marilyn Manson and Twiggy Ramirez, two geniuses of modern rock, together for the first time in 6 years...

1824823818248241largelb4.jpg

Manson is baring his arse, he's burning bibles, he's performing sexual acts with and then decapitating mannequins and of course, protestors have followed him around the country. Marilyn Manson are definitely back in their glory.

Woopy Doo. Do you think he may try recording a good record? Or do you not need to if you have shock tactics instead?

Indeed I have. The only half decent ones in my opinion are the covers of Tainted Love & Sweet Dreams. Maybe you have to be into heavy rock to appreciate them, but I don't hear evidence of melody. You can get that in rock (G 'n' R & Aerosmith to name just two).

Manson to me seems too orchestrated, like he sits with a plan going "ooh this will shock middle America, lets do it" to see what the reaction is. Which is fine, but it doesn't make him a great musician.

Well, if you're interested in given Manson a chance and finding out if they can make melodic music, then below are a few YouTube videos. If you don't want to give them a chance, that's fine too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=soH8LQdsiac

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fMoPMLrqPlk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jciw5I1FNnk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=87clhcvQ99Y

Start off watching the first one, then if you have time watch the second, if you have more time watch the third and if you have even more time watch the forth. That's how they are ordered. From most likely to hit you as soon as you hear it to least likely, but still somewhat likely.

Last edited:
Well I'd be glad if you do because I think Marilyn Manson are severly misjudged in a lot of areas. Musically they aren't respected because the songs that get released and receive radio play are the covers or the more trashier songs written specifically for the purpose of radio play and stuff like that. Their music also gets over shadowed by Manson's shock value. Manson always intended to be shocking, and you're right, it's calculated and contrived. Years before the band even started, Manson started thinking up shocking things to do on stage, shocking names, shocking lyrics, shocking make-up and clothes. Everything was thought up prior to him recruiting band members and actually playing live and making music. So yes, it's all very calculated. And he shocks as a way to grab people's attention. But I think even he never wanted the shock value to overshadow the music. He wanted the shock people, to grab their attention, so they listen to the music. Not shock people so much that they protest against music they haven't even heard yet. Marilyn Manson are just like Michael in the way that their music is overshadowed by their controversies. It's unfortunate. But I think that's why I'm drawn to both Michael Jackson and Marilyn Manson. Among respected music listeners, both aren't considered musically credible. I think that makes me like them more because they don't fall into the stereotype for bands and artists that are considered credible among the more upscale music listeners who worship the ground Bob Dylan walked on and such.

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me started on Dylan. I defy anyone to say they honestly enjoy his music. Yes, he may be clever lyrically and in the '60's that was relevant. But that nasal whine goes right through me.

I'm sure some do honestly like him, but many just think they sound clever if they say they do.

Exactly. This is going to end up being a 5000 word essay, I know it, but I'll try to keep it sort.

I am so sick and tired of people saying they like a certain artist, a certain band, a certain song or a certain album because they think it'll give them cred points. Make it seem like their musical taste is credible. Like The Beatles for example. I actually honestly love them. But a lot of people say they like them for cred points. I was wearing a Beatles shirt the other day to uni and some dude as like "Oh cool, I love the Beatles too" and so I was like, which album do you prefer? "Penny Lane" or "Helter Skelter" and they were like "Ooh, that's a tough one, but I think I like Helter Skelter more" and I was like "Failage! Those are names of songs not albums" and they walked away in shame. So yeh, it just annoys me that there's certain bands and artist who Rolling Stone magazine and stuff have put on this pedestal and every thinks you have to like those bands and artists to have any credibility. It's BS.

We're so on the same page here!

Have you ever heard of a TV character called Alan Partridge (not sure where you're from). His best moment was when he was trying to be cool talking to some guy saying he liked The Beatles, the guy asked him his favourite Beatles album to which he became unstuck, and replied,
"I'd have to say....The Best Of The Beatles"

It's so true, people say what they want people to hear. That's why more people don't say they like Mike, 'cos it's not cool, but check their CD collections.

Well I'd be glad if you do because I think Marilyn Manson are severly misjudged in a lot of areas. Musically they aren't respected because the songs that get released and receive radio play are the covers or the more trashier songs written specifically for the purpose of radio play and stuff like that. Their music also gets over shadowed by Manson's shock value. Manson always intended to be shocking, and you're right, it's calculated and contrived. Years before the band even started, Manson started thinking up shocking things to do on stage, shocking names, shocking lyrics, shocking make-up and clothes. Everything was thought up prior to him recruiting band members and actually playing live and making music. So yes, it's all very calculated. And he shocks as a way to grab people's attention. But I think even he never wanted the shock value to overshadow the music. He wanted the shock people, to grab their attention, so they listen to the music. Not shock people so much that they protest against music they haven't even heard yet. Marilyn Manson are just like Michael in the way that their music is overshadowed by their controversies. It's unfortunate. But I think that's why I'm drawn to both Michael Jackson and Marilyn Manson. Among respected music listeners, both aren't considered musically credible. I think that makes me like them more because they don't fall into the stereotype for bands and artists that are considered credible among the more upscale music listeners who worship the ground Bob Dylan walked on and such.

i don't know about Manson, but MJ didn't calculate his life..the media blew that up. and there are critics who do think MJ's music is strong.

and the fans of MJ are not fooled by the media's attempt to say that MJ's 'controversy' 'overshadowed' his music. t25 is doing well today. that proves it.

I assume you've seen this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT4AR7FtlIk

Manson collects MJ stuff, says nice things about MJ, and then admits he has stuff in common with MJ, but not the 'bad' stuff. Not sure what to think about the nose story either... Hmm, so many contradictions in that video, lol!

I think overall, he appears to admire MJ.

I think there always has to be someone pushing the envelope. I can understand how his music and shows are popular with some peeps, and he's certainly created a place for himself. I don't know much about Manson, but he seems intelligent, creative and an original. At least, from what little I have seen/heard so far.

There's another video at YT that someone made (I assume a Manson/MJ fan) of MJ's Ghosts set to Manson's This is the New Sh!t. It works quite well. IMO.

He loves Michael Jackson. He's a big fan. The nose joke is all just in fun. Some fans take things about MJ way too seriously. You can admire someone but still joke about them. MJ probably jokes about himself with his friends too.

Chris Tucker: "Hey Mike, you ready yet? We gotta go."
Michael: "Nearly ready, just putting my nose on."

I bet Michael jokes around like that all the time.

I get the nose thing being just an anecdote/joke, but the 'bad stuff' comment is rather odd, considering all the positive things Manson says about MJ, that's all. Didn't really post the video to diss Manson; on the contrary...

Btw, I laughed at some of the jokes Jay Leno said about MJ, so... lol!

Although I don't think he believes MJ is a child molester, I think he said "we have a lot of things in common, but not the bad stuff" to avoid people then saying stuff like "so do you like little boys too?" or something.

He seems intelligent. I like a few songs. He does know how to get the media's attention, I'll give him that. The only thing that annoys me isn't really about Manson himself but the teeny bopper fans who are just into him because he's cool or 'goth.' When in reality they wouldn't know goth if it walked up to them. But meh. My favorite songs are Coma White and Coma Black. I also like Tainted Love.

acts who put on fake controversal images when they are nice middle class boys dont do anything for me. its likethe attention seaker in the play ground gets kinda tiring after a while

acts who put on fake controversal images when they are nice middle class boys dont do anything for me. its likethe attention seaker in the play ground gets kinda tiring after a while
So just because you're middle class you have to dress and act a certain way? A middle class person can't dress in a "shocking" way and wear make-up?

Thanks for posting that song. Interesting. I'll have to give it a few more listens but it sounds good.

So just because you're middle class you have to dress and act a certain way? A middle class person can't dress in a "shocking" way and wear make-up?

not when its fake and nothing more than a put on for your image.

Everyone dresses to convey a certain image. People wear suits to look professional. Manson wears leather, stockings and make-up to look shocking.

I found some very interesting videos on YouTube. In 2003, just before the Rock AM Ring concert, John 5 announced to the band that he was going to quit. Manson reacted unfavorably to this and things got heated between him and John 5 which caused a band dynamic amongst all the band members. Manson also decided to get really drunk before the show and the rest of the band got angry at him because it would obviously effect his performance. They took their anger and frustration to the stage and it didn't effect their music in a good way to say the least. In the first video, Manson kicks John 5 and John 5 fires up at him. In the second video Manson tries to throw off John 5's timing by singing a lot faster than he was playing. He also punches his bassist, Tim Skold. Then he ends off leaving the stage around the middle of the song. It's interesting to watch anyway. It's not often a band lets their feuds with each other show through on stage or to the public in any way. This is what a band in the midst of a break up looks like...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p0FniBpzw5c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FHZgClzis4s

Back