REVIEW: Grammys fete Beatles - For Reflection

Irish Flower

Proud Member
Michael was the smarter one I think from this review.

REVIEW: Grammys fete Beatles

By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer2 hours, 12 minutes ago

From the incredibly obvious department: The Grammys paid tribute to the Beatles on Sunday night.
One could wonder sarcastically: "Really? The Beatles? Now are they THAT important?"
Paying homage to the British foursome was bound to be a confused issue in scale. After all, if the Beatles could arguably be bigger than Jesus Christ, they just might be bigger than the Grammys.
So how do you appropriately celebrate — as Tom Hanks introduced them — a group that changed "the history of our planet"?
With a dancing umbrella, of course. What, you were expecting Bono?
With Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison looking on, the Beatles tribute began with a performance by Cirque du Soleil, which puts on a Beatles-themed show in Las Vegas titled "Love."
While a recording of "A Day in the Life" played, all manner of French weirdness was employed, including an umbrella that appeared to be supported by only a pair of legs, while its acrobat crouched beneath. (Not even Rihanna can stand under that umbr-ella, ella.)
A woman in a red dress supported by ropes flew above, as presumably symbolic costumed dancers gyrated across the stage.
The second segment was carried by the cast of Julie Taymor's film "Across the Universe," a musical of whimsical Beatles covers. A powerful enough version of "Let It Be" was sung.
Before you knew it, the tribute was over, leaving viewers to wonder, "Is that it?" Sure, a real tribute for the Beatles was bound to fall short, but it didn't appear the Grammys even tried. Even the opposite — a bare stage and captivating acoustic performer — would have been more rewarding.
Instead, the Grammys, which were celebrating its 50th anniversary, relied on the prepackaged, overly theatrical work of "Across the Universe" and Cirque du Soleil, neither of which deserved screen time at the Grammys (or most anywhere else).
Shortly thereafter, Starr ambled up to the stage to join those accepting the award for best compilation soundtrack album, which went to "Love" soundtrack.
"My name is Ringo," announced the drummer on stage. Enough said.

I really didn't enjoy the Beatles tribute. The only thing I enjoyed was the singing of "Let it Be." I guess because it had a gospel flavor to it and the young cat had a really nice voice.

Frankly, I'm kinda glad they didn't do a tribute to Thriller. I don't think it would have been good or did this classic justice. I'd rather it be done by BET Awards where they can bring on the real funk. jmo

I love the tribute they did for the Beatles. And im glad that Ringo, Yoko and Olivia were there to see it :)

I wasn't particularly impressed with it either. It was okay.

Since I am feeling a bit bitter and nasty-minded right now, I wont say anything further.

Back