Queen of Soul Upset Over "Queen" Statement By Beyonce

loverofmusic

Proud Member
In a statement, Franklin expressed her dismay at Beyonce calling her on-stage Grammy collaborator, Tina Turner, by the title, usually reserved for the “Respect” singer.

"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce, however I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy,” Aretha said in a statement according to People. “In addition to that, I thank the Grammys and the voting academy for my 20th Grammy and love to Beyonce anyway."

http://www.accesshollywood.com/arti...pset-Over-Tina-Turner-Being-Called-The-Queen/

Wow, I'm just SMDH at Aretha right now. lol

Last edited:
Uh... okay. Can you imagine if Michael got mad every time someone else got called the "King of Pop"? He's have issued enough statements to reach the top of Mount Everast by now, lol.

Roxanne said:
lol aretha was annoyed by beyonces reference to tina as "The Queen"
i dont blame her. imo aretha is The Queen. tina is a great legend nonetheless
i love them both

Datsymay said:
I agree with aretha, it is her mark of respect in the music industry. I could understand what Beyonce did if Aretha was not present, but that was totally out of order and undermined Aretha.
Imagine if Mj was on stage and Justin or usher was called KOP. That would completey undermine MJ. Tina is a legend but she is not the queen

I agree with these 2 posts. I don't have any endearment for Beyonce', but Aretha has been around making hits forever and she paved the way for all those who would follow her. Her record is phenomenal.

Hell no, she didn't deserve to be dissed that way. It was all propaganda for the performance that was coming up.

If anybody asked me what I thought of the performance with Tina, I'd say that Tina rocked and made Beyonce look like she was just there to show her thighs. Let's see Beyonce rock when she gets 65-68 years old.

Beyonce's father even had to get his 2 cents in and I don't think that was necessary.

Aretha has already done what Beyonce is trying to do and she may not even get as far as Aretha or Tina has gotten. Aretha had a right to blow off steam.

Good points in here but even though Aretha is a legend, doesn't take away the fact that Aretha has a biggggggggg.......ego. :p The past has shown this more than once. I LOVE Aretha Franklin though but sometimes she's cocky even when it's not necessary at all. When it comes down to it titles handed out and given are all a matter of opinion. And that's the bottomline. It doesn't hurt to be humble.

i hate titles.

but Aretha > Turner

Booooooooo lol. Tina is the Queen :p

Seriously though, Aretha is a legend obviously with a great music catalogue and is one of the greatest singers that ever lived but she CANNOT touch Tina IMO. Tina is the greatest female performer i've ever seen in my life, but anyway I don't see why Aretha is upset over this. I'm sure Beyonce respects Aretha, but Tina is obviously her idol and Tina is often referred to as "THE QUEEN OF ROCK 'N' ROLL" while Aretha is referred to as "THE QUEEN OF SOUL" so that's the difference. These are the title's they are often associated with. It's not like Beyonce said Tina was "The Queen of Soul" because then that would have been disrespectful IMO since we all know that is Aretha's title.

However, Tina is probably "The Queen" for Beyonce and I agree with this. Tina has the voice, the moves, great music, charisma, stage presence. She has it all, I just adore Tina lol but I really think Aretha has to tone it down. Her ego is out of control and the fact that she would even take the time to release a statement about something like this shows how petty she really is.

Last edited:
Tina Turner is better then Aretha Franklin, imo. Tina is a great, great singer and a hell of a lot better performer.

I don't know why Aretha is tripping anyway. It's true, Beyonce didn't call Tina the Queen of Soul, and everyone knows Aretha by that name anyway. It's like people knowing Elvis as the King of Rock N' Roll or Michael as The King of Pop or James Brown as The Godfather of Soul. Those titles, no matter who you try to label them with, will always go back to who originally held it. Aretha's reaction was childish and she needs to show some humility, she doesn't seem to have any. It's one thing to know you're the best or think you're the best, but you don't have to constently state it or try to show it off. That's just unattractive. Remember her at the Diva's live concert when she decided to take on Celine Dion and she just kept going and going? Even Celine was like, whatever, and just stepped back by the end of it, and Celine Dion DOES know how good she is and shows off a lot. But even she didn't want to bother. I mean, geeze, lol.

Last edited:
Ohhh she's such a diva :rolleyes:
I think if Justin was called king of pop in Michael Jacksons presence WE would not like it and I am sure it would make MJ feel slighted. It is a matter of curtesy. Can you hear anyone calling another star the Godfather of Soul. People were given titles out of respect. It should not be thrown around willy nilly. Aretha earned her title. Let Tina get her own. That was wrong of beyonce to do that.

Last edited:
Uh... okay. Can you imagine if Michael got mad every time someone else got called the "King of Pop"? He's have issued enough statements to reach the top of Mount Everast by now, lol.

or every time he is called " the former King of Pop" or "the self-proclaimed King of Pop" or...........

Yeah, exactly. But Beyonce didn't even call Tina the Queen of Soul, she called her The Queen. And I bet you a million bucks if someone called Justin or anyone the King of Pop while Michael was there, you wouldn't hear one word about it from Michael, not publically. I would be mad, but Michael isn't so egotistical as to complain about silly stuff like that in public. Michael doesn't even complain when people make rotten, mean jokes about him when he's in the building, and people have done that to him. If Aretha want's to know what it's really like to be slighted and disrespected. And in the end, again, Beyonce didn't call her the Queen of Soul.

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. But Beyonce didn't even call Tina the Queen of Soul, she called her The Queen. And I bet you a million bucks if someone called Justin or anyone the King of Pop while Michael was there, you wouldn't hear one word about it from Michael, not publically. I would be mad, but Michael isn't so egotistical as to complain about silly stuff like that in public. Michael doesn't even complain when people make rotten, mean jokes about him when he's in the building, and people have done that to him. If Aretha want's to know what it's really like to be slighted and disrespected. And in the end, again, Beyonce didn't call her the Queen of Soul.

aretha has the title of "The Queen" as well as 'the Queen of Soul". its the first time i hear someone in the business refer to tina as "The Queen" :huh: tina has the title of "The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll". aretha has both "the queen" and "the queen of soul" titles

Last edited:
and when was the official corronation? Did I miss it?
It's much ado about nothing really imo.... no one denies Aretha's talent
and Tina is awesome as well

the title thing.... come on

Booooooooo lol. Tina is the Queen :p

Seriously though, Aretha is a legend obviously with a great music catalogue and is one of the greatest singers that ever lived but she CANNOT touch Tina IMO. Tina is the greatest female performer i've ever seen in my life,
i guess for me, their performances will always be judged on the vocals - as that's their primary field. i personally can never get tired of her beautiful voice.

but anyway I don't see why Aretha is upset over this.
i agree. the whole "queen of soul" business only describes a fragment of the musical genres her career has spanned. titles are v v silly.

Last edited:
and when was the official corronation? Did I miss it?
It's much ado about nothing really imo.... no one denies Aretha's talent
and Tina is awesome as well

the title thing.... come on

ppl in the industry and fans gave them their titles. just like we gave michael his own title ;)
i would be mad as heck if justin introduced prince in an official ceremony as the king of pop
same goes here i guess. i guess aretha as well as some of us considered it disrespectful since she was present at the ceremony and the title belongs to her

the best female voice ever ^ thx for posting that video hadnt seeen it
absolutely amazing

Unnecessary to get upset. It's not like the viewers are going "Oh, I thought Aretha was the Queen, I best throw out my Aretha collection & change to Tina"

Beyonce won't even have thought that she was dissing Aretha.

Personally although Aretha has the best voice, Tina is far more entertaining.

Unnecessary to get upset. It's not like the viewers are going "Oh, I thought Aretha was the Queen, I best throw out my Aretha collection & change to Tina"

Beyonce won't even have thought that she was dissing Aretha.

Personally although Aretha has the best voice, Tina is far more entertaining.
Tina was entertaining for her husky voice and her short skirts and provocative dancing, but she became more popular, not for her talent as much for her coming back at 40 from what was considered an abusive life. Aretha on the other had had no sympathy vote.She was famous on the get go for talent alone. She did not need short skirt of a film about her private life. Tina also appealed more to a certain market. Mainly european, whereas Aretha is universal and her songs are legendary. I can hardly remember one of Tina's songs. I do not have one record from her. I would never buy her records. I do not like her husky voice. Give me miss Aretha any day. She gives me goose bumps.'
The music industry is losing its appeal because it has not manners anymore and fails to give real talent any respect. This is why people are tuning out.No wonder they begged MJ to come on their shows. Even the likes of Beyonce couldn't get people to tune in, it says a lot. Beyonce will have infuriated many people in the black community by her remarks. :eek:

Last edited:
^^^^
Gives me goosebumps. Thanks for posting.

I have major respect for Tina and all of the other QUEENS that Beyonce mentioned in her performance, but it's hard for me to put anyone above Aretha. LOL In the end, the are all QUEENS, Chaka, Gladys, Diana, Sarah, Mahalia, Whitney, Janet and all of the rest. If anything, Mahalia Jackson is the true Queen IMO because she's the only one that stayed true to "serving" God musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BTwHMD42SA
^^^
Beyonce said "Queen" not "Queen of Soul."

Last edited:
yea but if you call someone else the whole title 'King of Pop' you cant because Michael has that title. but theres more than one king in general out there in the male spectrum theres James brown, Michael, Elvis, little richard etc.....
so why can only one woman have the title of queen?
Madonna is a Queen too..of Pop.....so why cant tina be a queen too? shes one of the people who revolutionized dance..look at all of Beyonces modern moves...
let Tina Turner be the queen of dance and soul and Aretha be the queen of soul itself since she cant dance. Beyonce might become queen in the future too. shes so huge now. and they'll be another queen of pop after Madonna im sure.

also with this diva attitude, aretha does not deserve it. simply because people have talent does not excuse bad personalities. lets stop letting celebs get away with bad attitudes, that 'the common folk cant', they are not gods, if they are mean to other people, im not a fan of theirs. it also shows how they might treat people less unfortunate than them as well. divas or divos (for males lol)only care about themselfs. and im tired of celebrity worship going overboard, so they can get away with it. why because they can sing? ooh wow, what about doctors that saves lives everyday, we never say they are so special. so aretha gets this conceited, shes not the only queen, she needs to get over herself. like kanye....omg anyway think about it.

Last edited:
umm aretha doesnt have a bad personality and she wasnt mean towards anyone.
she said she dismissed the comment as it was a cheap shot for controversy.
as i've said before that title belongs to aretha and only her

also with this diva attitude, aretha does not deserve it. simply because people have talent does not excuse bad personalities. lets stop letting celebs get away with bad attitudes, that 'the common folk cant', they are not gods, if they are mean to other people, im not a fan of theirs. it also shows how they might treat people less unfortunate than them as well. divas or divos (for males lol)only care about themselfs. and im tired of celebrity worship going overboard, so they can get away with it.
as someone who is a Britney fan, aren't you taking this little incident too far to say things like "they shouldn't get away with it"?

best thing anyone can do is ignore them if you want to treat them like "common folk" - if they do something serious, then let the right authorities deal with it and we keep our gobs shut and just enjoy their music or, if you don't like their work, put on something else to listen to.

when will we ever get tired of the backstage obsession with celebrities' personal lives?

Her peers have voted Aretha to be the Queen of Rock'n Roll in VH1's "100 Greatest." Tina was the runner-up.

Good. Tina has always got the sympathy vote, but I do not think she was ever regarded as a great singer. She was a double act with her husband, and she came back at 40 with a short skirt and looking good. But I think the voice was more suited for rock and roll, cause all you need is a gritty voice. I doubt she has ever sang a ballad. I was impressed by her courage to return to the stage at such an age, but Aretha is the one that has the universal appeal and has done that from the get go. All on talent alone.

Back