J5 or Jacksons

Datsymay

Proud Member
Which group do you prefer. I must admit that I have great problems chosing but if my life depended on it I would chose the Jacksons cause I think they had the more funky and mature songs, but then, I would miss Jermaine and I feel that the Jackson's weakness was the Jermaine absence.:)

very hard to choose - both had some great stuff. i think like you say, Jacksons disadvantage was absence of Jermaine, yet advantage over Jackson 5 is definitely the creative control that allowed their maturation to flourish..

can't decide..

very hard to choose - both had some great stuff. i think like you say, Jacksons disadvantage was absence of Jermaine, yet advantage over Jackson 5 is definitely the creative control that allowed their maturation to flourish..

can't decide..
If your neck was on the block and you needed to pick one which would you pick or would you just grab any one?:p

LOL i think it'd be Jacksons for me also.. i think their own work allowed for greater expression and a more genuine body to their soulful stuff. yummy

Yes, me too, but I wish I could superimpose that Jermaone Jackson in there. I would sure wish some of MJ's earlier work which are genuine classics, but I would have to for go J5 for Jacksons. I love Mj's maturing voice.

i almost died the day i found The Jacksons Live! vinyl in a charity shop for $4! is that one of the best things to drop on earth, or what?

Jacksons-live.jpg

i almost died the day i found The Jacksons Live! vinyl in a charity shop for $4! is that one of the best things to drop on earth, or what?

Jacksons-live.jpg

$4 :eek: That must be worth a fortune. They obviously didn't know the value of that record. A find indeed.:D

Although I love both of their music, I say The Jacksons, simply because MJ's voice wasn't a kid voice anymore and became the sexy, gorgeous, AMAZING mature voice he later used :wub: *sigh*

I am a big fan of both, but overall i'd have to say that I like The Jackson's better. I listen to their music more and I also prefer watching performance's of them over the Jackson 5. Also MJ's voice was so soulful when he was in the Jacksons, I love how his voice sounded then. He was at his peak as a performer when he was in The Jacksons if you ask me, absolutely NO ONE could touch MJ on stage when he was with his brothers. He was a beast on stage and had energy for days. The absolute best.

Last edited:
$4 :eek: That must be worth a fortune. They obviously didn't know the value of that record. A find indeed.:D

i have it too both on vinyl and cd. i cant recall how much i payed for the vinyl but it was wayyyyyyy more than $4. i think it was more than $50. only a used one a very very used one would be sold for $4.

Last edited:

Jacksons-live.jpg

I went through my mom's vinyls,and i came across this and took it,I'm bad

can't decide..

Exactly!! I agree with you 100%:)

I prefer The Jacksons to the J5, despite the fact that they are really the same group minus Jermaine.

The Jacksons are the group the J5 were always going to grow in to, which is way they left Motown to have there own creative control. The Jacksons are actually very over looked in music. The amount of times I've heard DJ's and TV presenters (at least in the UK) refer to songs like Blame It On The Boogie and Can You Feel It, as Jackson 5 songs really annoys me as I feel the music and albums of The Jacksons from 1976-81 are very overlooked and deserve a lot more credit.

I'd say as a group the J5 were really complete group with 5 members, Michael, Jermaine, Jackie, Tito and Marlon. The Jackson 5 have much better group dance rountines. But The Jacksons was really a launching pad for Michael's solo career, where Jackie, Tito, Marlon and Randy became Michael's backing dancers and vocalists and Michael started to become more of a solo front man doing his own improvised dance moves.

I'd say any one who's a Michael Jackson fan, really should have every Jacksons album from 1976-81, as those are very important years of Michael's development as a vocalist, songwriter/composer and producer. Plus a lot of Michael dance moves were perfected during the Destiny and Triumph Tours.

I also love Blues Away from The Jacksons self titled first Epic album. It's one of my favorite songs that Michael wrote/composed and a hidden classic. I'd love to see Michael perform it live and also do a Jacksons Medley on his tours and not just a J5 medley because that's how overlooked The Jacksons music is.

last December I bought in England "Soul Legends- Jackon 5"compilation with following tracks
1. Reach Out I'll Be There - Michael Jackson 2. It's Your Thing - Jackson 5 3. Let's Have A Party - Michael Jackson 4. I Want You Back - Jackson 5 5. My Girl - Michael Jackson 6. Whatever You Got, I Want - Jackson 5 7. The Boogie Man - Jackson 5 8. I'll Bet You - Jackson 5 9. Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing (Don't Say No) - Jackson 5 10. Just A Little Misunderstanding - Michael Jackson 11. Mama S Pearl - Jackson 5 12. ABC - Jackson 5 13. Dancing Machine - Jackson 5 14. Doctor My Eyes - Jackson 5 15. Money Honey - Michael Jackson 16. A Fool For You - Michael Jackson 17. I'll Be There - Jackson 5 18. Never Can Say Goodbye - Jackson 5 19. You've Got A Friend - Michael Jackson

I highly recommend it
it's simply great

so the answer to the q.is : though the music of them is so different I love both J5 and The Jacksons:D

It's an extremely difficult question, I love both...but if I had to choose, I say The Jacksons, MJ was not a kid anymore and his voice and dance were mindblowing, the music was much more mature and well rounded IMO.

Hmm, that's really hard to choose. I like both bands for different reasons.

However, if I was hard pressed, I guess I'd choose the Jacksons. They had better material to work with, plus Michael was an adult on the albums.

i first thought the jacksons, but then to be fair i havnt heard all of the j5 material. His voice was soo souful when he was he a kid...whos loving you, aint no sunshine :O its amazing, his career is amazing. he was an amzing child star, teen, young adult, adult

Definitely the Jacksons. Better material, and while Michael was absolutely amazing as a child, he was and is even better as an adult. I mean, if you can believe it's possible, his voice got even better and obviously, the older you get, the more coordinated, so too did his dancing get better. He had all the gifts as a child, but he honed them as a teenager and adult. Plus, even though Michael had an outstanding command of a songs emotion as a child, even without fully grasping the meaning of the lyrics (this is why I call him an emotional genius, because he just has an innate feel for how to express it), you can't deny his brilliance as an adult vocalist. The beauty of his voice is unmatched, as is his technical skill. And I just find myself better able to appreciate Michael as a teenager and adult because I know he wasn't being made to do anything, at least not with "Destiny" and "Triumph". That was his own work, along with his brothers. I think Triumph is the Jacksons best album. Just great, great material. And I even like some of the songs on "Victory". They could have had more success with that album though if they hadn't made it the way they did, trying to feature each of the brothers and restricting Michael's input so that he wouldn't outshine them. The only hit on the album was "State of Shock", because it's a Michael track. But he's the strongest writer in the group and they should have allowed more of his work to be featured. It wasn't successful because it was like an album with 5 different people submitting solo efforts, and the most talented one not getting to submit hit material. I know a song Michael wrote called "Buffalo Bill" was meant to be on the "Victory" album, but they held it off again, because they wanted the other brother's to have a chance to shine. But it just didn't work. Regardless though, I really like "Wait", by Jackie, I especially love the end when Michael and Jermaine come in. And I like "One More Chance" by Randy. I actually think that's the best song I've heard written solely by him. I love "Be Not Always", even though most fans hate it, but I love it. Michael's voice is unbelieveable on it. And I like "Body", by Marlon. He can't sing, but I think this song is really a catchy tune and I don't get tired of it.

^^^^MAN, I REALLY want to hear "buffalo bill"!!!! Michael was so excited about it on the unauthorized interview!!!!!!

and btw, I looooove 'be not always'!- BEAUTIFUL

Last edited:
\I'd say any one who's a Michael Jackson fan, really should have every Jacksons album from 1976-81, as those are very important years of Michael's development as a vocalist, songwriter/composer and producer. Plus a lot of Michael dance moves were perfected during the Destiny and Triumph Tours.
I say a fans hould have every album lol not just startung with off the wall. I think michael's best vocals were between 1969-1982 but i love all his stuff. Alot of fans over look his early years, i suggest people look into them he has sooooo many gems that people don't know about.

If I had to choose between the jackson 5 and the jacksons i'd choose J5.

That'd be a very difficult decision but I'd probably go with The Jacksons aswell. I just love Destiny, Triumph and Victory!

Though I love Life Of The Party from Dancing Machine, especially the You're a sexy mama part :p

Jackson 5 turned into the Jacksons, after Jermaine left. Is that correct?

And then what happened?

Once Michael moved onto his solo career, did the brothers ever record an album without Michael or did they just stop recording all together once Michael was no longer a part of the group?

I sort of lost track once they were no longer called the Jackson 5.

And then what happened?

Once Michael moved onto his solo career, did the brothers ever record an album without Michael or did they just stop recording all together once Michael was no longer a part of the group?

I would like to know what happened too.

Back