Classical Music anyone?

LindaC781

Proud Member
Do you like to listen to classical music? And if so, who are your favorite composers?

Mine are:
Gustav Holtz
Mozart
Haydn
George Fredrich Handel
Bach
Beethoven

Holtz "The Planets" is spectacular...my latest blog has an orchestra from Tokyo playing "Jupiter"...I played this once in my life, and the flute part is just....let me put this politely...CHALLENGING to say the least...

Mozart I always liked. Mozarts Piano Concerto is one my father is playing on March 16 on the refurbished Steinway in our church. We have a full 19 piece orchestra to back him up
too.. My sister is playing the trumpet on it, along with her husband....Here is a rendition I found on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdme-I_9pzE

Handel is always great for flute music. He has such a lyrical style for flute..

Last edited:
Yes. I have several collections but mainly compilation. I used to use the music in class for the children when they did handwriting. They loved the music and would ask for more. I aslo recommended the music to my best friend. She plays it at work too.
I love Messenet, Beethoven, chopin, Shostakovich Puchini, Mozart, Vaughan Williams among others.

Last edited:
Oh My God! I love Shostacovich...and I completely forgot about Puccini....that stuff is great! And I am also a fan of the great Wagner opera The Ring...that's great...

Last edited:
My goodness gracious...
I "LOVE" classical music...Mozart is my favorite...

Last edited:
Yeah Mozart was da bomb in his day....LOL!! I loved that movie "Amadeus" that came out a few years ago, mainly for the music!

Ha, I was going to post a thread on this topic, but you beat me to it, Linda! :D

Classical music is a very broad genre, encompassing hundreds of years of music. We've got these general eras to choose from-

Medieval/Early Music
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
20th Century
Contemporary

I love many things from all eras, but I tend to favour works from the 20th Century period. I tend to go by works, so I don't have one favourite composer; most all of them are amazing.

I've been studying and listening to classical music pretty much all my life. I've got heaps of favourite works, but these are my top three favourite works of all time.

Debussy - La Mer
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
Ravel - La Valse

So I guess if push comes to shove, Debussy and Ravel are my favourite composers. As well as all the ones posted so far and *deep breath*

Dvorak
Brahms
Mendelssohn
Rzewski
Ligeti
Albinoni
Liszt
Berlioz
Sibelius
Rossini
Schubert
Weber
Schumann
Wagner
Strauss, Richard
Strauss, Johann jr
Schoenberg
Grieg
Smetana
Bartok
Szymanowski
Penderecki
Borodin
Mussorgsky
Tchaikovsky
Rimsky-Korsakov
Stravinsky
Schnittke
Gershwin

plus many others. :p

MJ, like us, likes classical music as well. :)

Linda, you play the flute? That's cool. The flute is a fantastic instrument. :)

Oh My God! I love Shostacovich...and I completely forgot about Puccini....that stuff is great! And I am also a fan of the great Wagner opera The Ring...that's great...
Shostacovich's Romance from Godfly, sends me crazy. I am lifted up to high heavens, Vaughan Williams' Lark Ascending is another crazy piece.
I have a whole collection of Desert Island dics which famous people have to choose their favourite songs they would take on a desert Island. All classical music. I also owns various other compia;tions. I have given some away to friends and kids who say they like classical music. I love to work early in the mornings with that music. I usually do the clianing to that music.
Puccini Humming chorus from Madam Butterfly is another of my favourite too.:D

Ha, I was going to post a thread on this topic, but you beat me to it, Linda! :D

Classical music is a very broad genre, encompassing hundreds of years of music. We've got these general eras to choose from-

Medieval/Early Music
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
20th Century
Contemporary

I love many things from all eras, but I tend to favour works from the 20th Century period. I tend to go by works, so I don't have one favourite composer; most all of them are amazing.

I've been studying and listening to classical music pretty much all my life. I've got heaps of favourite works, but these are my top three favourite works of all time.

Debussy - La Mer
Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe
Ravel - La Valse

So I guess if push comes to shove, Debussy and Ravel are my favourite composers. As well as all the ones posted so far and *deep breath*

Dvorak
Brahms
Mendelssohn
Rzewski
Ligeti
Albinoni
Liszt
Berlioz
Sibelius
Rossini
Schubert
Weber
Schumann
Wagner
Strauss, Richard
Strauss, Johann jr
Schoenberg
Grieg
Smetana
Bartok
Szymanowski
Penderecki
Borodin
Mussorgsky
Tchaikovsky
Rimsky-Korsakov
Stravinsky
Schnittke
Gershwin

plus many others. :p

MJ, like us, likes classical music as well. :)

Linda, you play the flute? That's cool. The flute is a fantastic instrument. :)

THanks!! Yeah, I've played flute most of my life, since I was 11 years old.

Music, especially classical music, is such a release from every day life. Sometimes, when I have a stressful day in either work or school, I get my instrument out and play...it takes my mind off the stress and brings me to another place in my soul. I just love classical music. And medieval music is so cool!

Once, I visited the Powell Flute Factory in Maynard Massachusetts. They hand-make flutes there. They actually let me alone with the most gorgeous platinum and gold flute I have ever played. It was such an honor to be alone in a room with an instrument like that. You can see some of those instruments here:

http://www.powellflutes.com

What craftsmanship they have. And they actually hand-make instruments that are specific to the player. An orchestral flautist (that is what they call a flute player) can pay upwards to $100,000 for an instrument that is specifically made for them. But it's worth it. Every penny!

Gershwin HAS to be one of my favorite 20th century composers.

Last edited:
Yeah Mozart was da bomb in his day....LOL!! I loved that movie "Amadeus" that came out a few years ago, mainly for the music!
I've been watching Amadeus so much recently that it gives me nightmare's so I decided that I won't watch it for a long time. :D

THanks!! Yeah, I've played flute most of my life, since I was 11 years old.

Music, especially classical music, is such a release from every day life. Sometimes, when I have a stressful day in either work or school, I get my instrument out and play...it takes my mind off the stress and brings me to another place in my soul. I just love classical music. And medieval music is so cool!

Once, I visited the Powell Flute Factory in Maynard Massachusetts. They hand-make flutes there. They actually let me alone with the most gorgeous platinum and gold flute I have ever played. It was such an honor to be alone in a room with an instrument like that. You can see some of those instruments here:

http://www.powellflutes.com

What craftsmanship they have. And they actually hand-make instruments that are specific to the player. An orchestral flautist (that is what they call a flute player) can pay upwards to $100,000 for an instrument that is specifically made for them. But it's worth it. Every penny!

Gershwin HAS to be one of my favorite 20th century composers.
Ha, maybe I could accompany you some day; I'm a pianist. :) Or we could duet; used to play oboe.

Yep, classical music is the best. :)

yes i sometimez listen to mozart , rossini, & brahms when i want to relax .:yes:

You play oboe?? I tried playing oboe once....an old boyfriend of mine was an oboeist...it tickled my lips too much!! LOL!

I missed out on playing any instruments as a kid. So when I was a teenager I tried to play the guitar, then the recorder, then the piano. I haven't reach any major standards on any of them cause I never stick to them for very long. I am a good percussionist though. I am especially good with the tamborine.

Bach. i can go back and forth with a lot of compsers, but Johann Sebastian Bach is Mr. Consistency to me.

there's nothing by him that i don't like.

Bach. i can go back and forth with a lot of compsers, but Johann Sebastian Bach is Mr. Consistency to me.

Yeah... the Soprano Arias with Flute I love...along with the Brandenberg Concertos. I also love the "Du sollt Gott deinen Herren lieben, BWV 77"....a great choral piece...

Yaaay for Classical music!!!! Im a vocal music Ed. major so that's all i'm studying right now!

Brahms
Debussy
Gabriel Faure - Amazing French composer. Listen to his Requiem. It is absolutely wonderful.
Stravinsky
"Rite of Spring" - You can't go wrong! I love this piece.
Orff - Carmina Burana. Looooong piece, but very good. Lyrics are crazy though!
Haydn
Verdi
Schubert
Gershwin
Schumann

And of course, the main men...Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.....
I could go on, honestly!

Im lucky though, I dont have to buy any of the music, though I will eventually. My university has a subscription to a website called NAXOS that has all classical, contemporary and jazz music for a monthly fee.

You play oboe?? I tried playing oboe once....an old boyfriend of mine was an oboeist...it tickled my lips too much!! LOL!
:D

Are you sure it was the oboe tickling your lips? :lol: Oops, to personal. :unsure:

Well, I used to. Haven't played in a while. I miss it. :( But I can't manage to maintain my piano and the oboe as well, so...

Someday I'll play it again. :)

Oh yeah, him too. :lol:

Tons of great works, lots for piano (well, organ and harpsichord, the piano having been invented after his time; but they work equally well on piano for the most part.) but my fav Bach work is his St Matthew Passion, in particular the opening.

Yaaay for Classical music!!!! Im a vocal music Ed. major so that's all i'm studying right now!

Brahms
Debussy
Gabriel Faure - Amazing French composer. Listen to his Requiem. It is absolutely wonderful.
Stravinsky
Haydn
Verdi
Schubert
Gershwin
Schumann

I could go on, honestly!

Im lucky though, I dont have to buy any of the music, though I will eventually. My university has a subscription to a website called NAXOS that has all classical, contemporary and jazz music for a monthly fee.
Go IvoryKeys! :punk::D

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is amazing.

What composers' works have you been working on? And which Debussy works do you like?

yes i sometimez listen to mozart , rossini, & brahms when i want to relax .:yes:
Personally, I listen to classical music when I want to be thrilled. But then your reason is as good as mine, lol

Last edited:
I have been working mostly on Mozart's opera works. My vocal professor likes to give me music from "The Marriage of Figaro", especially from the character Cherubino! I also have done a few of Schumann's pieces and especially Gabriel Faure's solo pieces. A song called "Apres un Reve" is a beautiful song I had to perform as an end of the year exam from Faure.

And don't get me started on Debussy. I have only begun listening to his music, so I don't know all there is about Debussy, but I have had to analyze a lot of his works for classes. I love his Nocturnes (all 3 of the movements. Nuages would be a particular favorite). Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun. Footprints in the Snow. And yeah, the Clair de Lune. I need to find more on this guy soon! His piano skills....oh yeah! Im no piano major but I do play, and I love his piano pieces!

Wow, good on you; great stuff!

Yes, I must get you started on Debussy, because I :wub: some of his works. :D

My fav piano works by him are

-L'Isle Joyeuse
-and from his piano work collection Les Preludes, Ce Qu'a Vu le Vent de l'Ouest. It's thrilling.

I love Afternoon of a Faun. And those others as well. If you like his orchestral pieces, you may also like his La Mer. Have you heard it? It's a roller coaster ride of emotions. It's the best piece of music I have ever heard. His masterpiece, imo.

Do you know anything by Ravel? (Other than Bolero, lol)

Faure, Debussy and Ravel have similarities. :)

Yes, I've heard of Ravel, but haven't listened to any of his music yet. I will now though!

Gah!!!!! I love me some Debussy! I'll check La Mer definitely! Thanks for the recommendations. I love finding new music to listen to.

(I need to memorize these smiley codes....my posts are getting dry and need some facial life to them!)

Thank you!

Brahms
Debussy
Stravinsky
Haydn
Verdi
Schubert
Gershwin
Schumann

I could go on, honestly!

I've sang the Faure Requiem...and man that gets to me every time I sing it. ALso, I have sung the Rite of Spring too....that is so beautiful it gets me choked up too....I am too emotional to be a serious singer...lol

Anyway, we had our rehearsal for Concerto 21 by Mozart tonight....and OMG. The last movement? The Allegro Vivace assai? My father told me not to worry about it...he wasn't going to go too fast on it....but sure enough!! THE CONDUCTOR TOOK IT at 145!! OMG!! And I actually played it that fast....AND my sister, who is a very good musician....and a music educator for many years - she played trumpet..poor thing she had to count about 119 measures then play about 3 notes...LOL...anyway, she said I sounded awesome tonight. Now THAT is some compliment, if you know my sister...LOL!!

Oh yeah, him too. :lol:

Tons of great works, lots for piano (well, organ and harpsichord, the piano having been invented after his time; but they work equally well on piano for the most part.) but my fav Bach work is his St Matthew Passion, in particular the opening.

yes...this may sound off topic but it's not. this is why i love the idea of the evolution of music. Johann's works were made before the invention of the piano, yet they work equally well for it. i had gotten some of his works in a cd called 'switched on Bach' all played by synthesizers. that's when i first fell in love with the third Brandenburg concerto...listening to it on electronic instruments. that's why i tend to argue in favor of the concept that tpain does a lot of his music with. i'm not gunna argue the quality of his music, itself..it's the idea of the evolution of music, and musical instrumentation, and musical ideas. i'm sure there were those 'purists' who hated the idea of playing Johann on the piano, cus his music was made when there was no such thing. and before there was such a thing, it could have not been imagined. yet it works. of course there are those people who might still say..no no..no piano for Johann. i don't think this two mindset school of thought ever changes. this idea of Johann and the piano is, to me, my strongest argument for the non discriminatory nature of music itself...and only people can go with it, or stop themselves...but they can never stop the wonderful evolution and non discriminatory nature of music itself. all of this is just one more reason why i love Johann's music so much. it kinda helps my musical arguments in favor of music's continuing evolution. *out of breath* lol:):D

Back