UK Janet fans - did you buy Discipline?

Catherine..

Proud Member
Discipline sold 3914 copies in the UK, and that is terrible... I just don't understand how it can sell so badly. I mean Janet has UK fans, alot of MJ fans love Janet too, and there are Jackson family collectors, and just music fans in general... how can it sell so badly.
It got to 63 here, and I am upset about that. This was meant to be Janets comeback record and I just dont understand how it can sell so disappointingly.

I'm hoping it will climb over time, but how will this look. Janet debut with 3,000 copies at number 63...:unsure:-_-
Janet is meant to be touring here too.

There is more than just America in the world, Janet is an international artist, I hope Island Def Jam knows that.:(

Discipline sold 3914 copies in the UK, and that is terrible... I just don't understand how it can sell so badly. I mean Janet has UK fans, alot of MJ fans love Janet too, and there are Jackson family collectors, and just music fans in general... how can it sell so badly.
It got to 63 here, and I am upset about that. This was meant to be Janets comeback record and I just dont understand how it can sell so disappointingly.

I'm hoping it will climb over time, but how will this look. Janet debut with 3,000 copies at number 63...:unsure:-_-

There is more than just America in the world, Janet is an international artist, I hope Island Def Jam knows that.:(
Ive been saying for a long time that Janet has hardly any fans in the uk. I can almost guarantee that the 3000 people who bought Janets albums are MJ or Jackson fans. Janet has never had a hold on uk market. She was popular at a time when MJ was at the top and anything Jackson was a seller, even 3 t had great hits here, where are they now.

One kid asked me recently, 'Is Janet Michael Jackson's sister?' I said yes, do you like her?' The child screwed up her face and said,'Naaw'. That child was once a Britney fan and a Maria fan. I doubt Janet will ever be big here now, unless she does a tina turner.
One of the things that could have made janet a hit in britain would be to turn up on one of mJ's shows. That was how I got to know Usher and JT. I had never heard of them before now.
MJ is international and Janet could benefit from that exposure, but she seem to have avoided her brother's shows when everyone else is clambering to get on them.

I don´t quite agree with that. Actually Janet used to sell well in Europe and even in the UK as far as I remember. She has perforemd in my country I think 2 or 3 times when she was on world tour but it is in the last 5-7 years or so that her sales has fallen a lot here but not so much in the US.

Last edited:
I don´t quite agree with that. Actually Janet used to sell well in Europe and even in the UK as far as I remember. She has perforemd in my country I think 2 or 3 times when she was on world tour but it is in the last 5-7 years or so that her sales has fallen a lot here but not so much in the US.
Well, the young kids in Britain, if they know her at all, only know her as MJ's sister. They are really not into her music as the number shows.:)

Well, the young kids in Britain, if they know her at all, only know her as MJ's sister. They are really not into her music as the number shows.:)
that's quite a gross generalisation - i'm a young Brit and i know Janet musically because her Velvet Rope album was bloody excellent. nothing to do with Mike. many young music fans are able to appreciate works of the past. if someone does not know of Rhythm Nation 1814, then i wouldn't consider their appreciation for popular Western music. Janet's music has gone downhill with regards to popularity ever since The Velvet Rope and this new album simply hasn't struck the right comeback note.

for someone who doesn't care for her music, i've noticed you're contributing a significant amount of posts on Janet Jackson in all sorts of threads. any particular reason for this obsession on dragging her down?

that's quite a gross generalisation - i'm a young Brit and i know Janet musically because her Velvet Rope album was bloody excellent. nothing to do with Mike. many young music fans are able to appreciate works of the past. if someone does not know of Rhythm Nation 1814, then i wouldn't consider their appreciation for popular Western music. Janet's music has gone downhill with regards to popularity ever since The Velvet Rope and this new album simply hasn't struck the right comeback note.

for someone who doesn't care for her music, i've noticed you're contributing a significant amount of posts on Janet Jackson in all sorts of threads. any particular reason for this obsession on dragging her down?
I can contribute to any thread I want to. There is no violation here. I stated my opinion as I find it. If you don't like it tough. I am interested in Janet because she is Michael's sister and she is a Jackson. Please notice that I also contributed to threads about Joseph,Kathrine, Rebbie, Marlon, Jackie Latoya and Randy. If you don't like what I said then ignore me, and move on. By the way, only 3000 fans bought the album first week, mainly jackson fans. That confirms what I was saying.

I can contribute to any thread I want to. There is no violation here. I stated my opinion as I find it. If you don't like it tough. I am interested in Janet because she is Michael's sister and she is a Jackson. Please notice that I also contributed to threads about Joseph,Kathrine, Rebbie, Marlon, Jackie Latoya and Randy. If you don't like what I said then ignore me, and move on.
i never said or hinted otherwise - it was a non-rhetorical question.

By the way, only 3000 fans bought the album first week, mainly jackson fans.
what do you mean "mainly jackson fans"? she's Janet Jackson.

That confirms what I was saying.

it does not. you said "the young kids in Britain, if they know her at all, only know her as MJ's sister" which you're basing on her album sales LOL i'm now intrigued in an explanation of how you can support such an amazing generalisation..

Please notice that I also contributed to threads about Joseph,Kathrine, Rebbie, Marlon, Jackie Latoya and Randy.

no where near as much as you do about Janet (and negatively too). i'm just saying, there must be something more to it since you don't even like her music...

i never said or hinted otherwise - it was a non-rhetorical question.

what do you mean "mainly jackson fans"? she's Janet Jackson.

it does not. you said "the young kids in Britain, if they know her at all, only know her as MJ's sister" which you're basing on her album sales LOL i'm now intrigued in an explanation of how you can support such an amazing generalisation..
I was not basing it on album sales. I was basing it on my interaction with hundreds of kids over the years. Having parties with them and them bringing in their favourite music for christmas or end of term parties Listening to them talk about their favourite popstars, looking at surveys that they themselves carried out; hear them talk to each other about their favourite stars. I will quarantee that there will be MJ fans among them., There will be britney fans, beyonce, MC, Usher, JT, Ne-yo,. All those names. I have personally asked them about Janet, and I either get a 'who is she' or, 'Is she Michael jackson sister?' But the answer is still the same. 'No'.

no where near as much as you do about Janet (and negatively too). i'm just saying, there must be something more to it since you don't even like her music...
You have no right to turn this thread into a personal attack on me. I was addressing the question. You are not, so just leave me alone.:)

^ it's certainly not a personal attack on you. i'm probing why you're heavily involved in all the negativity towards Janet Jackson yet you don't like her music. this is a public board for all of us to see your posts. i take it you don't want to answer my question and that's fine, i'll drop it.

I was not basing it on album sales. I was basing it on my interaction with hundreds of kids over the years.
these are primary school kids, right? because i'll be glad they supposedly don't know of Janet as her content is certainly not intended for such an audience. we're talking about musically-mature young folk, here.

no i didnt buy it. last album i bought was all for you and i didnt get through it all. last great music was velvet rope imo. ppl are tired of the same ole sex songs imo janets fanbase in the uk has always been strongly held up by mj fans as going to her concert would show you more mj t shirts than janet ones. gonna nick a quote from ellie on the kop board she summed it in a great way

Does it really need explaining? She's a 42 year old woman who's been singing about the same thing for the last 15 years and doing it badly for the last 7 years, while people half her age are doing the same thing but better. Why would the teen market want Janet when they've got Rihanna? She's not bringing anything to the table that's unique just to her apart from seriously grossing people out with stupid explicit lyrics without a hint of irony.

Janet isn't a superstar icon in Europe. Never has been. She's always just as good as her last record, so she doesn't have a large built in fanbase like the rest of the 80s icons. The exact same thing applies to Mariah Carey too, who's always had quite flaky success in Europe, whereas someone like Whitney was a proper big star. They have their hardcore fans everywhere, but not in their masses. Go to a Janet Jackson concert in Europe and you'll just find an audience of Michael Jackson fans.

^ it's certainly not a personal attack on you. i'm probing why you're heavily involved in all the negativity towards Janet Jackson yet you don't like her music. this is a public board for all of us to see your posts. i take it you don't want to answer my question and that's fine, i'll drop it.

these are primary school kids, right? because i'll be glad they supposedly don't know of Janet as her content is certainly not intended for such an audience. we're talking about musically-mature young folk, here.
This thread was not about me. You have no authority to change the topicv. Go back and read the forst post, or better yet let me bring it to you.

I'm hoping it will climb over time, but how will this look. Janet debut with 3,000 copies at number 63...:unsure::sleep:

There is more than just America in the world, Janet is an international artist, I hope Island Def Jam knows that.:sad:

I was sticking to the subject matter. If you want a post about me go start your own. Talk about why Janets sales has been so badly reduced in the british market. That is what the question is about. leave me alone.

lol no i will not leave you alone - this isn't at all personal, it's a public board and i haven't changed the subject as i've replied to you with the appropriate section on-topic, which you're conveniently ignoring:

------------
Datsymay said:
I was not basing it on album sales. I was basing it on my interaction with hundreds of kids over the years.
------------

and i've already stated why her recent albums have gone down the drain here - flimsy albums! and this new one is better than all of them since VR, but still hasn't struck the right note to bring her back to previous successes.

Last edited:
:laugh: i'm not changing the topic - i've replied to you with the appropriate section on-topic:

------------
------------

and i've already stated why her recent albums have gone down the drain here - flimsy albums! and this new one is better than all of them since VR, but still hasn't struck the right note to bring her back to previous successes.
Get back on topic:ph34r:

i did, you might have missed it:

Datsymay said:

no i didnt buy it. last album i bought was all for you and i didnt get through it all. last great music was velvet rope imo. ppl are tired of the same ole sex songs imo janets fanbase in the uk has always been strongly held up by mj fans as going to her concert would show you more mj t shirts than janet ones. gonna nick a quote from ellie on the kop board she summed it in a great way
That is the nuts and bolt of it. The british fans have sugarbabes and spice girls. They will not go buy Janet if she is singing the same thing as their home grown stars. The only ones buying Janet are MJ fans, and MJ has a solid fanbase here in Britain, but it looks like even the MJ and Jackson fans aren't even supporting janet either. I would have bought Janet if I could relate but I cannot and I sure as hell do not want to listen to janet moaning and growning on my records, sorry.

Last edited:
Talking about Discipline.

This is Janet's best album since The Velvet Rope in my humble opinion. I think with Janet you either like her or don't. When I first heard the snippets from this album I wasn't at all impressed. However, having now purchased it I'm quite impressed with it. There a lot of good solid tracks on it. Feedback, Rollercoaster, Rock With U are particularly good. My current favourite is What's Ur Name. America still loves Janet by the looks of it, She's Number One again.

easy the lack or promotion for starters, and what's getting me is why isn't Janet getting airplay in the UK any more. I mean Janet's hasn't been getting any airplay since the superbowl and it wouldn't surprise if they are copying american playlists and blacklisting her also. with the Us I can understand , pop radio is so agiest here, and the superbowl didn't help, but what I don't understand why isn't Janet getting airplay in the Uk, there is no excusse why songs like all nite, feedback to be getting airplay there, they're practically geared to THE uK.

easy the lack or promotion for starters, and what's getting me is why isn't Janet getting airplay in the UK any more. I mean Janet's hasn't been getting any airplay since the superbowl and it wouldn't surprise if they are copying american playlists and blacklisting her also. with the Us I can understand , pop radio is so agiest here, and the superbowl didn't help, but what I don't understand why isn't Janet getting airplay in the Uk, there is no excusse why songs like all nite, feedback to be getting airplay there, they're practically geared to THE uK.

I don't know why either, I really thought Feedback could have been Janets first UK number 1, but they canceled that as a single. Janet is apparently going to Germany on March the 5th so hopefully the european promo starts then. It was said she is coming to the UK at the end of March, but the album would have been out a full month by then, but fingers crossed.

I think this album will climb as Janet promotes over here, she was scheduled to go on Ant and Dec saturday night take away, and I hope she does a few other shows too. Kelly Rowlands got another chance at her album Ms Kelly with the release of her single Work with a UK club remix or something, so hopefully Janet can bounce back from this poor charting debut week.

I really never understood why Janet has never really gotten the attention she so rightfully deserves over here. This is the same country where Mr Blobby gets to number 1, yet Janet can't lol... I mean lord have mercy kelly clarkson eddie murphy!!!!

Last edited:
people today the record buying public i should say if you not taking drugs or in rehab or stumbling out of clubs if your normal like janet your not going to sell any albums defjam are not even promoting this album in the uk at all so how do they even expect to get janet back to the top of the charts if they are not promoting it

that quote from the kop poster u copied and pasted here was extremely offensive, disrespectful and just very very mean. shes 41 not 42 yet. she sings about sex a lot so what ?
shes hot as hell, men find her very sexy and attractive and she loves sex so she sings about it.
rihanna ? plz she cant even touch janet. rihanna will be forgotten in 5 years from now. janet is in her early 40s but looks like shes in her 20s, shes much more talented than rihanna and much sexier. i dont know about ppl in the UK but shes very popular in the US and thats what matters the most (no offense to anyone). shes been around for so long and she has had huge massive success in the past. she revolutionized the music industry in her own way. beyonce, rihanna, britney etc they all have been influenced by janet a lot. janet is an international music icon and ppl who trash her cuz shes 40 and sings about sex are just pathetic in my book. sex sells. the music is all about sex nowadays. its not just janet. its everyone. if u dont like her dont buy her music and just stfu :flowers:

ps: elusive this post is not directed to u. i quoted u cuz u posted that quote from the kop poster.

Last edited:
that quote from the kop poster u copied and pasted here was extremely offensive, disrespectful and just very very mean. shes 41 not 42 yet. she sings about sex a lot so what ?
shes hot as hell, men find her very sexy and attractive and she loves sex so she sings about it.
rihanna ? plz she cant even touch janet. rihanna will be forgotten in 5 years from now. janet is in her early 40s but looks like shes in her 20s, shes much more talented than rihanna and much sexier. i dont know about ppl in the UK but shes very popular in the US and thats what matters the most (no offense to anyone). shes been around for so long and she has had huge massive success in the past. she revolutionized the music industry in her own way. beyonce, rihanna, britney etc they all have been influenced by janet a lot. janet is an international music icon and ppl who trash her cuz shes 40 and sings about sex are just pathetic in my book. sex sells. the music is all about sex nowadays. its not just janet. its everyone. if u dont like her dont buy her music and just stfu :flowers:

ps: elusive this post is not directed to u. i quoted u cuz u posted that quote from the kop poster.
The question wasn't about how Janet was doing in the US. It was about how she is doing in the UK. What Elusive posted is correct. Only 3400 bought her record and she entered at 63. That is the nuts and bolts of it. She is obviously not popular in the UK and she is mainly known as MJ's sister. That is the fact of the matter. In fact, Janet was always known as MJ's sister, even when she was doing well here, just like 3T was always known as MJ's nephew and Jermaine was known as MJ's older brother. That is the way she is views here.:)

is that an hannibal lector tribute or what lol

easy the lack or promotion for starters, and what's getting me is why isn't Janet getting airplay in the UK any more. I mean Janet's hasn't been getting any airplay since the superbowl and it wouldn't surprise if they are copying american playlists and blacklisting her also.

tbh she stopped selling/getting airplay in the UK when her music turned to a more slow R&B usa market vibe. like the song she did with nelly in the video.that was slow and basically dull and would never do anything in the euro market. her biggest success single wise in the uk i think was together again. traditional janet dancy poppy type songs with a good beat and melody. songs like "If" and thats the way love goes. seems to me over the last few albums shes been gearing more the usa market and thats one of the reasons why shes done poor in the UK.

roxanne calm down lol the bottom line is teeenage girsl like the types of rhianna because shes young and in the age group. janets briging nothing new to the fold and all the sex talks just allienates her older fan base who want more than that. there more competition now in the female market than there has been over the last 10 years

Last edited:
The reason why it hasn't done well in UK is no promotion.

I, myself haven't bought the album because i expected it to be as bad as 20 Y.O. (20 y.o. was a waste of my money!)

However, i listened to it on the net and its great, i regret not buying it and i will buy it as soon as possible.

is that an hannibal lector tribute or what lol

tbh she stopped selling/getting airplay in the UK when her music turned to a more slow R&B usa market vibe. like the song she did with nelly in the video.that was slow and basically dull and would never do anything in the euro market. her biggest success single wise in the uk i think was together again. traditional janet dancy poppy type songs with a good beat and melody. songs like "If" and thats the way love goes. seems to me over the last few albums shes been gearing more the usa market and thats one of the reasons why shes done poor in the UK.

roxanne calm down lol the bottom line is teeenage girsl like the types of rhianna because shes young and in the age group. janets briging nothing new to the fold and all the sex talks just allienates her older fan base who want more than that. there more competition now in the female market than there has been over the last 10 years

yeah I know slow rnb songs want make it and her biggest hit there is together again, but what about songs like just a little whie, all nite don't stop, and feedback, which are all pop /dance songs, there's no reason why they shouldn't be getting airplay.

Back