Billboard: Janet Sets Sights On Fall Tour

IvanaIloveMJ

Proud Member
07 Mar 2008

With her sixth No. 1 album in the bag, Janet Jackson next has a tour and a book ready to roll this year. The singer, whose "Discipline" debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 181,000, anticipates a mid-September launch for a trip that will take her around the world.

"We're talking about America first," Jackson tells Billboard.com, "but I think we're going all over. I think I'm going to go back to Australia, back to Africa, obviously go to Asia, go to Europe for sure."

Jackson says fans can expect something "big -- it's always been big" and that some ideas may come from a tour she was planning to support 2006's "20 Y.O." before her new label, Island, suggested she instead return to the studio to make another album. "I'll probably tweak things from the last stage and stuff I had prepared for everyone," Jackson says. "It'll be an uptempo, upbeat show. I would love to perform every single I've had, but that's a pretty long show. I don't want people to be bored to tears."

Jackson adds that seven years after her last tour, she's anxious to get back on the boards. "I have missed it, and it means a great deal to me," she says. "When I'm creating music or singing the music (in the studio), I think about the stage performance. I think about the tour. The idea starts that early on for me. And I love being able to see the sea of faces, to have that connection, to feel that love. That's exciting for me."

Some time during the tour Jackson also hopes to roll out a book about her weight issues that she's co-writing with her nutritionist, David Allen. A title and publication details are expected to be announced soon, but Jackson says the idea for the book was inspired by her fans.

"Everybody asks me -- men, women -- how did I do it?" she says. "Even young people will come up to me and they have an issue with their weight and they're very concerned. So it's basically my journey; it's not just this sterile, weight loss and how to do it book, but my journey even from when I was a kid ... being an emotional eater. It takes you through those moments in my life up 'til now and what worked for me. And hopefully within that, if it doesn't work for them, maybe they'll find something that does work for them and a nice place for them to be content with who they are."

Jackson says she hopes to have the book out by "the latter part of this year. That's what we're pushing for."

-Billboard -

Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

Friday, March 07, 2008

During an interview yesterday evening with Washington D.C. radio station WPGC 95.5, Missy Elliot said that she may go on tour with Janet.

"We're trying to make that happen right now," Missy said after being asked about a possible tour with Janet. "So hopefully this Janet thing, the Missy Elliot and Janet Jackson tour will be happening and I think that'll be great. I think that together, collectively it'll be hot, I know that."

The interview can now be downloaded on WPGC 95.5's website.

http://wpgc955.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1592378

source: janet-xone

Re: Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

Friday, March 07, 2008

During an interview yesterday evening with Washington D.C. radio station WPGC 95.5, Missy Elliot said that she may go on tour with Janet.

"We're trying to make that happen right now," Missy said after being asked about a possible tour with Janet. "So hopefully this Janet thing, the Missy Elliot and Janet Jackson tour will be happening and I think that'll be great. I think that together, collectively it'll be hot, I know that."

The interview can now be downloaded on WPGC 95.5's website.

http://wpgc955.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1592378

source: janet-xone

that tour will need someone else "hot" on the bill to sell really well.. especially without a banging single that is 'fire' on the charts

Last edited:
AW: Re: Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

that tour will need someone else "hot" on the bill to sell really well.. especially without a banging single that is 'fire' on the charts
I don't know.... Jane is still recognized as a great live artist! She hasn't been on tour in like 6 or 7 years in the US and 10 in Europe, so I think she would sell well anyway, but somebody like Missy will certainly help to sell tickets! I personally can't stand her though!

Re: AW: Re: Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

I don't know.... Jane is still recognized as a great live artist! She hasn't been on tour in like 6 or 7 years in the US and 10 in Europe, so I think she would sell well anyway, but somebody like Missy will certainly help to sell tickets! I personally can't stand her though!

umm? we will see... wish her luck though..

Re: AW: Re: Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

I think that Rihanna as an opening act would be a better fit. It would help to put Rihanna over as it did for N'Sync when they were on the verge.

AW: Re: AW: Re: Missy Elliot talks about possible tour with Janet

I think that Rihanna as an opening act would be a better fit. It would help to put Rihanna over as it did for N'Sync when they were on the verge.
Hmm... yes, but do we really want to put Rihanna over? :p;)

Missy And Janet Great Ticket Sells Out Of This World And Talent Much 2 Much 2 Mention That Would Be The Truth.

I'm there!
I remember watching her Velvet Rope tour and All for You tour live on television and taping it. It was such a great experience for me just watching it on tv.
i've never been able to see her live and i really really want to.

I really love this performance. Choreography is awesome!
[youtube]MnVy-0lXbAs[/youtube]

Last edited:
I would love to see Janet in concert. I would go to the UK. She never comes to Ireland!

AW: Billboard: Janet Sets Sights On Fall Tour

She was supposed to play in Dublin on her cancelled AFY tour!

she cancelled her last uk tour. and considering that they dont seem to be caring much for promo for the album i wont be surprised if she never makes it over here. the album sales hardly help to show that it would be worthwhile

Yes, but they would make a huge mistake to gauge the interest on album sales! I say it again... don't know where I said though... but the Rolling Stones sold 137.000 copies of their last album in the US, but still they hugely successful toured the US 2 years in a row playing stadiums and arenas! So I think Janet will do well, regardless of album sales! She always did good concertwise, especially in the UK!

Re: AW: Billboard: Janet Sets Sights On Fall Tour

Yes, but they would make a huge mistake to gauge the interest on album sales! I say it again... don't know where I said though... but the Rolling Stones sold 137.000 copies of their last album in the US, but still they hugely successful toured the US 2 years in a row playing stadiums and arenas! So I think Janet will do well, regardless of album sales! She always did good concertwise, especially in the UK!

Totally different situation there. The Rolling Stones are a band that have been around for 40+ years. They are much more established live performers than Janet is. Now I am aware that Janet usually does pretty good when it comes to her concerts and is known for putting on great live shows but she is not in the same category concertwise as The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Prince, etc. These are all acts who constantly tour and are just more established in that sense. They could go on tour any time and it would sell out regardless if they have a hit album out at the time or not, the same cannot be said about Janet.

Last edited:

Well, that is the question! I'm sure that Janet in the US is on that level (arena concerts... not stadium concerts)! And I'm also sure she is pretty near that level in the UK! I mean, look at the Backstreet Boys... they haven't been in the biz half as long as Janet! Their last albums weren't really spectacular on the charts! Most of their fans are young mothers now and still they are playing in the same arenas than in their heyday and that is even in Europe!

Of course, Janet will have to downsize and won't be able to play that many gigs, as she has played before... but I still think she could sell out arenas! And quite frankly, nobody expected Prince to sell out 21 O2 arenas!

Last edited:
Re: AW: Billboard: Janet Sets Sights On Fall Tour

Well, that is the question! I'm sure that Janet in the US is on that level (arena concerts... not stadium concerts)! And I'm also sure she is pretty near that level in the UK! I mean, look at the Backstreet Boys... they haven't been in the biz half as long as Janet! Their last albums weren't really spectacular on the charts! Most of their fans are young mothers now and still they are playing in the same arenas than in their heyday and that is even in Europe!

Of course, Janet will have to downsize and won't be able to play that many gigs, as she has played before... but I still think she could sell out arenas! And quite frankly, nobody expected Prince to sell out 21 O2 arenas!

Well it's very possible that she could still do well in the U.S. because her concerts here usually do well, but if you believe that she's big in the UK then I don't know what to tell you. Fact is that Janet has never been that big in Europe and it seems that her fanbase there has dwindled over the years so I don't see how she can tour over there if she doesn't even have much of a fanbase.

Last edited:

Well, fact is, I've seen most of the concerts Janet did in the UK and I can say she is/was big (also in Europe, of course not on the same level than in the US, but she did very well in the late 80's/early 90's).... and her concerts were always successful (I know, as I've seen her across Europe)... she might not be big on the charts these days, but charts and concerts are two different things! People might not like her current music... that doesn't mean though, that they also don't like her old music anymore! She didn't tour in 10 years over here, so that certainly will help! But we can discuss this 'til we turn blue in the face! Only time will tell what happens!

Last edited:
she's an awsome entertainer.. I have never been to an MJ concert. YET (oh please please please) but I went to Velvet Rope tour and it was the best concert I have ever seen IN PERSON..

I am really hard to be impressed and entertained.. Her concert was actually the ONLY concert that I have enjoyed that I have been to. I usually think it's boring after a little.. I did not want to go home..

janet was big in the uk when she last toured here with velvet rope and janet but things have changed alot since then.he last gigs were cancelled supposedly cause it was after 911 and fear of flying yet they hadnt sold well and she went straight to japan to do shows there instead. janet hasnt had any real success since velvet rope so u cant really comapir back then interms of concerts to now.

I can't wait for her to tour :wild: It's going to be awesome :wub: Here in Europe we had to miss the All For You Tour because of Sept. 11 so I can't wait for this one to make up for it :D

hopefully she will tour here id like to see her again its been along time. nearly 10 years? seems like a lifetime. but if the prices are expensive ill prob give it a miss

Awww....I think prices will be the same as any concert though :yes:

Back