According tothe guardian newspaper ...

Datsymay

Proud Member
Janet is one of the handful of celebs who come close to MJ's status.'
Do you agree with this and who would you say the others were;

'Fame can be addictive. But not for me'
Unlike her brother, Janet Jackson has managed to stay on the sane side of celebrity. The only thing she can't escape is people asking her about her sex life, she tells Paul Lester

Friday March 7, 2008
The Guardian
I recently asked Nick Cave what it was like to be Nick Cave, and he told me this: "I kind of know that as soon as I enter a room things are going to change for everybody." He wasn't being immodest - just honest. And then the Aussie rocker put his celebrity effect into some sort of perspective. "For some, it's more intense than others," he said. "Take Michael Jackson: when he walks into a room, everything - the entire trajectory of people's lives - changes. Now, I ain't Michael Jackson. But there is an element of that."

Cave may not be Michael Jackson, but the only postwar entertainers who could legitimately claim to equal Jackson's celebrity effect - Sinatra, Presley - are dead. Of pop's living deities, probably only a handful come close, among them Michael's younger sister, Janet.Cave may not be Michael Jackson, but the only postwar entertainers who could legitimately claim to equal Jackson's celebrity effect - Sinatra, Presley - are dead. Of pop's living deities, probably only a handful come close, among them Michael's younger sister, Janet.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2...rticle_continue

Last edited:
I just read in the UK this week T25 rose from 9 to no.7 increasing it's sales while Discipline went from 63 in its first week all the way down to 123 this week.

It's nice to see The Guardian giving some props to MJ, usually they are quick to talk him down. It's nice to see Janet being shown some love too. To be honest I don't think there is anybody living who comes close to MJ's status, I haven't seen anyone that generates the kind of hysteria he does wherever he goes.

Last edited:
:eek:You are joking, right.:eek:

Nope that's true. Michael's Thriller 25 has risen 2 places to No.7 in the UK album chart while Janet has dropped completely out of the Top 100 in the second week in the UK and in Ireland. I feel bad for her since I thought Feedback was a good song.

That comment is so true... Today's artists can be very famous and talented but nobody has reached the legend status like MJ has. This usually happens in a very young age, in their 20s at least. MJ achieved that when he was still very young. So Justin and co (unless they think of something really soon) can forget about becoming legends. Maybe in the next years or decades someone will reach again icon/legend status like Michael, Elvis etc...(Prince or Blanket anyone? lol) But NOBODY can replace MJ today (or ever)!

That comment is so true... Today's artists can be very famous and talented but nobody has reached the legend status like MJ has. This usually happens in a very young age, in their 20s at least. MJ achieved that when he was still very young. So Justin and co (unless they think of something really soon) can forget about becoming legends. Maybe in the next years or decades someone will reach again icon/legend status like Michael, Elvis etc...(Prince or Blanket anyone? lol) But NOBODY can replace MJ today (or ever)!
True, so who eolse do you think the guardian was refering to as being close to MJ.^_^

Nope that's true. Michael's Thriller 25 has risen 2 places to No.7 in the UK album chart while Janet has dropped completely out of the Top 100 in the second week in the UK and in Ireland. I feel bad for her since I thought Feedback was a good song.

Thanks AGB, i knew about the UK but didn't know it happened in Ireland as well, that's too bad for Janet, I am positively thrilled at how well T25 is doing for Mike :)

I'm surprised, I was expecting it to climb the charts.
But I told someone that young people are not into Janet and I nearly got slaughtered. I recon most of the sales were from MJ fans, who also like Janet or support the Jacksons.:)

I'm surprised, I was expecting it to climb the charts.
But I told someone that young people are not into Janet and I nearly got slaughtered. I recon most of the sales were from MJ fans, who also like Janet or support the Jacksons.:)

The thing that appears to be happening is that this album despite being better than 20YO is going to do worse than 20YO and Discipline has better songs, I have to wonder if the public is holding the past against Janet and in spite of good songs have just decided no forgiving her for 2004?

No, I don't think so. The question is asking, Who else, besides Janet could be described as being close to MJ's status.:)

Oh, yeah I see you've edited your post. I get it now :yes:

Hmmm...I think right now one of the few people that still have the status Michael has, would be Madonna (regardless wether people like her or not). Can't think of anyone else atm. :unsure:

Last edited:
Oh, yeah I see you've edited your post. I get it now :yes:

Hmmm...I think right now one of the few people that still have the status Michael has, would be Madonna or not (regardless wether people like her or not). Can't think of anyone else atm. :unsure:

I definitely agree about Madonna, i think she and MJ are the last of the mega giants worldwide.

The thing that appears to be happening is that this album despite being better than 20YO is going to do worse than 20YO and Discipline has better songs, I have to wonder if the public is holding the past against Janet and in spite of good songs have just decided no forgiving her for 2004?

In the UK the Superbowl thing wasn't really a big issue, people didn't focus on it that much. Although Janet's always had a sexual side, I think the great prominence of it on her albums since All For You has turned some people off, I remember people being quite suprised by 'Would You Mind?' on All For You. I didn't think people minded it so much with songs like 'If' because it was done in a tasteful way but now I think for some people its a bit too much. It's a shame because she is talented and has made some really good songs.

Last edited:
I definitely agree about Madonna, i think she and MJ are the last of the mega giants worldwide.
I do not think Maddona has or ever had the staut of MJ. Even the guardian never even hinted at that. In fact the guardian is saying that MJ is the only one left.
What the guardian is saying, though, that there are a handful that comes close. Janet is one. I am asking who you think is CLOSE.
I don't think Janet is close, quite frankly.
But I would put Maddona, in that category,
Whitney,
Prince,
Stevie Wonder,
Mick Jagger
Diana Ross,...

I am Sorry to hear that Janet's album has dropped in the charts. Glad to hear that T25 is still doing very well on the charts.

Last edited:
In the UK the Superbowl thing wasn't really a big issue, people didn't focus on it that much. Although Janet's always had a sexual side, I think the great prominence of it on her albums since All For You has turned some people off, I remember people being quite suprised by 'Would You Mind?' on All For You. I didn't think people minded it so much with songs like 'If' because it was done in a tasteful way but now I think for some people its a bit too much. It's a shame because she is talented and has made some really good songs.
i WAS SHOCKED BY THAT 'WOULD YOU MIND THING'.
I never knew Janets music and I was looking on the web to see if I could like her music and I saw that. I nearly passed out.
I think that the Jacksons are looked upon with much respect here in britain.They are like the american royals and even though the breast thing wouldn't shock us,. the sexualally explicit lyrics would turn people off. :)

i WAS SHOCKED BY THAT 'WOULD YOU MIND THING'.
I never knew Janets music and I was looking on the web to see if I could like her music and I saw that. I nearly passed out.
I think that the Jacksons are looked upon with much respect here in britain.They are like the american royals and even though the breast thing wouldn't shock us,. the sexualally explicit lyrics would turn people off. :)

Yeah I know what you mean. When I bought the All For You album and heard the Would You Mine song, I was like 'whaaaaaa' lol.

Thanks for breaking it down for me, here in the USA that is still being held against Janet to this very day unfortunately along with the risque lyrics on her albums from 'Janet' and beyond.

Thanks for breaking it down for me, here in the USA that is still being held against Janet to this very day unfortunately along with the risque lyrics on her albums from 'Janet' and beyond.

You are welcome. Yeah its a shame that in the US they hold the Superbowl thing against her, it wasn't a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Janet and Velvet Rope were really popular albums in the UK, they really connected with it but then things changed with All For You when the lyrics became really risque. The same thing happened with Madonna with Erotica, people found it all too much even though she had showed her sexual side many times before but then she then she was greatly embraced again when Ray Of Light came out.

I think that part of Janet's problem is her image and how much of that "sexual side" she portrays to the public. To be honest people do not want to really see that. They want to see that you can give them some good music and have that clean cut image to boot. Look at Alicia Keys, Beyounce and Mary J. Blige. All three of these ladies in my honest opinion have very clean images (they have remain free of controversy, unlike Janet). And they are sexy also and do not need to "expose" themselves, excuse the pun, like Janet does to sell albums. They allow their true talents to show. Keys is a pianist, and Mary J. is a true vocalist, and Beyounce well she's Beyounce. And each of their albums tend to sell well because of their musical talents. Now that's not to say that Janet is talentless. No that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is Janet should tone down the "sexual" side she's portraying and displaying and focus more on her music and her image. She's 40 and looks good for her age. Now I do not know maybe she feels subconscious about her age and are afraid of these younger up and coming talents stealing the spot light from her. And this is why she has to show her body, although she has the body of a twenty year-old, but that's not getting it with the public. People want to see talent and a clean image and includes everything from the way one dresses to how they speak to others and act out in public.

Last edited:
Well, imo it wasn't. Maybe it's in the US where they don't understand music that much.. :lol:

I respect your opinion but I'm from the UK and I like it lol.

To be honest I don't think there is anybody living who comes close to MJ's status, I haven't seen anyone that generates the kind of hysteria he does wherever he goes.

which is strange cus some people think the mania is gone...

which is strange cus some people think the mania is gone...

I don't think the mania has gone because just look at the reaction he was gettting in Japan and at the WMA's in London.

as someone else said janet is around the mariah carey level big in the usa but not big in europe etc..theres really only maddona whos near to mj. maybe prince but i dont really know what his success is like outside of the usa. hes never done that much in the uk

I don't think the mania has gone because just look at the reaction he was gettting in Japan and at the WMA's in London.

oh yeah..i know it's not. i'm just stating what i hear some other people say..

it's like is eyesight real? cus people can clearly see what's going on, but some still say, they don't see it.

oh yeah..i know it's not. i'm just stating what i hear some other people say..

it's like is eyesight real? cus people can clearly see what's going on, but some still say, they don't see it.

Yeah I completely agree with you :).

I agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
AW: Re: According tothe guardian newspaper ...

as someone else said janet is around the mariah carey level big in the usa but not big in europe etc..theres really only maddona whos near to mj. maybe prince but i dont really know what his success is like outside of the usa. hes never done that much in the uk
Hmm, considering he just sold 400.000 tickets in the UK last summer I guess you could say he did enough in the UK and he's in the same category than Michael and Madonna!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back